Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #46
~daisysakura~
Your Obsessed Fan

If a guy can pull of lolita and NOT look anything like Man Faye (or.. at least try to stray away from it.. ^^; ) then go for it! The only thing they should change is the term "brolita"... Makes me think of a college frat boy in a dress... ._.;

My Cosplay Log: (kind of abandoned right now... Maybe I'll do something with it at some point...)
Ayame: Frillz That Killz!
~daisysakura~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 02:09 AM   #47
yaoikk
=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDscosplay View Post
I love the male lolita styles. i think most men who dress in female lolita styles are just crossplaying and LOLITA IS NOT A COSPLAY, ITS A FASHION!!!
Uuuh, what? Are you serious? Not all of them do it for crossplay.

~~~~
I think that, if a brolita follows all the rules of lolita, it's all good.
yaoikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #48
emmisu
King of Toast

It's vaguely somewhat like crossplaying isn't it?
As long as the male human is groomed properly i think it's great.
and if they're adorably feminine and pass as a girl anyway--
Then I think I'd faint in happiness. that's almost a dream or something;;

Last edited by emmisu : 08-05-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: alteration of intonation
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #49
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I forgot about starting this thread. Well, I have done it, and at my last con got some great reactions. All in all people seemed to like it. I had a much better petticoat than what is in my gallery, so it actually had the nice bell shape.

At the mini room party with some roomies and staff we were talking about relationships, and my department head (yep, I was on staff) told me I would never get a girl if I crossplay, so while I have some stuff coming in on order and stuff coming in for free again I am thinking about giving it up and selling it all off.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #50
Pink_Lightning
Party like it's 1999!!

You're selling all of your lolita because of that?
Pink_Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #51
Haku23

I agree...I wouldn't give up crossplaying just because someone told me I'd never get a boyfriend that way. My boyfriend was WITH me while I crossplayed-anyone who isn't willing to accept you for who you are isn't worth having imho.
Unread 08-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #52
PoodleBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNewHere View Post
I forgot about starting this thread. Well, I have done it, and at my last con got some great reactions. All in all people seemed to like it. I had a much better petticoat than what is in my gallery, so it actually had the nice bell shape.

At the mini room party with some roomies and staff we were talking about relationships, and my department head (yep, I was on staff) told me I would never get a girl if I crossplay, so while I have some stuff coming in on order and stuff coming in for free again I am thinking about giving it up and selling it all off.
OK that is just crazy!! You're gonna give this up just cuz ONE person told you that?? (And that person obviously doesnt have a clue to the real world) I do lolita (as well as crossplay) all the time, and my girlfriend couldnt be more in love with me. Believe me, if you stay true to yourself, you will find a girl who accepts you no matter what!
Unread 08-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #53
~daisysakura~
Your Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleBoy View Post
OK that is just crazy!! You're gonna give this up just cuz ONE person told you that?? (And that person obviously doesnt have a clue to the real world) I do lolita (as well as crossplay) all the time, and my girlfriend couldnt be more in love with me. Believe me, if you stay true to yourself, you will find a girl who accepts you no matter what!
^Couldn't agree more. Honestly, it's not the crossplay that'll never get you a girl, it's the fact that you want to but won't because of what random, ignorant people say. I know personally, I'd rather a guy who's true to himself than just trying to fit in...

My Cosplay Log: (kind of abandoned right now... Maybe I'll do something with it at some point...)
Ayame: Frillz That Killz!
~daisysakura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #54
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

For real, personality is what matters. And besides, I've met loads of girls who would love to dress up pretty with their man, in fact I know one couple where the woman dresses as a man and the man dresses as a woman and they are perfectly happy with each other.
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #55
kailani

Yeah, I would just do what you want to make yourself happy.

But an important thing to keep in mind is that we are all human. Part of being human is being emotional, sensitive and unpredictable. Like anything else, tact is very important when talking of taboo things or things that aren't mainstream. Of course you must tailor that to each individual. We all know how to do this because you do it with your friends and parents everyday.

Find the right way to say it. I'm new here so I haven't checked by maybe there's a sticky on "how to bring up crossplay to your friends and families" in the crossplay section.

Good luck!

Also, you'd probably want to find a girl who likes you for you as a boy IMO. Unless you're taking the change to the next level its probably just going to be a part of your cosplaying and it'd be better to have her like you for you
kailani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #56
ImNewHere
The new guy.

Ohh, I don't plan on taking it to any other levels, I simply do it for conventions and such. That girl was not the first who has told me that either, so it makes me wonder what congoers really think in general. Even though it is fun I'm only human, and I don't want everyone to really be thinking "ohh, look at the crossplaying freak in lolita, eww gross." As for my family? They will never know. My dad would probably disown me.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #57
sylf

Well. I'm no expert in these kinds of matters... but of course people will think you're weird, and fewer girls are likely to find a guy dressed as a frilly, lacy girl attractive. =/ That's sort of obvious. According to some forum poll I saw once, most girls didn't wanna have a boyfriend who is feminine and pretty, since coz that would make them feel unattractive in comparison, and that makes perfect sense, aye? Of course, it all depends... lots of girls worship VK-style pretty boys... and have you seen Hizaki from Versailles, who dresses as a girl? Kyaa... XD *ahem* So... uh, yeah... in general, I think it's weird, but if done right and if you have the face for it, it can make a really good costume.
sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #58
TarOBoI
Purple Army...

NEVER GIVE UP! TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! XD

*ahem* Sorry, had to be done...Also, I wouldn't give up being...I'm not gonna use the term, just found out about it a couple days ago and I already hate it...

ANYWAY I digress. You shouldn't stop just because someone told you you won't get a girl from it. If anything, it almost makes it sound like that's the sole reason you did it, which is kind of disheartening. I myself am not a lolita, but I am aristocrat to the fullest. Speaking of, I should probably get around to uploading the few horrible quality cellphone pictures of my kodona sometime soon...*back on track*Still! Don't give up what you love, and hey, if the lolita thing just isn't your style, definitely try aristocrat. In my opinion, I like it more than any other J-Fashion I've seen for men.
PLANNED COSPLAYS:
OTAKON 2009:
Bosozoku - Bancho
~link-->>PURPLE ARMY!<<--link~
PM me if you're curious/interested.
TarOBoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #59
ImNewHere
The new guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarOBoI View Post
NEVER GIVE UP! TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! XD

*ahem* Sorry, had to be done...Also, I wouldn't give up being...I'm not gonna use the term, just found out about it a couple days ago and I already hate it...

ANYWAY I digress. You shouldn't stop just because someone told you you won't get a girl from it. If anything, it almost makes it sound like that's the sole reason you did it, which is kind of disheartening. I myself am not a lolita, but I am aristocrat to the fullest. Speaking of, I should probably get around to uploading the few horrible quality cellphone pictures of my kodona sometime soon...*back on track*Still! Don't give up what you love, and hey, if the lolita thing just isn't your style, definitely try aristocrat. In my opinion, I like it more than any other J-Fashion I've seen for men.
No, I did not start it to pick up girls, to tell the truth I started it because of my friends saying how fun it was and getting multiple outfits custom made for free. I may go ahead with it, but mix in some cosplays and some steampunk I am planning as well. As for aristocrat I am not sure what to do with that, or what to wear to do it.

Unread 08-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #60
Gaku_X
All around dork-face

@ImNewHere-My current boyfriend fell for me while I was dressed as Walter from Hellsing.He didn't care I was masquerading(successfully with some people)as a little boy,he liked ME.My personality.That's what you need to find.Don't give up what you love just to get someone to like you,you'll just end up miserable having to act in a way you are not.
You'll find someone,you just need to talk to the right people-Like what seems to be a decent amount of people in this thread.Find a nice lolita and you can even trade accessories.(thinks that would be ADORABLE)

On the topic-I too really detest the term 'brolita'.It sounds derogatory,like it was made up by someone who was trying to make fun of them.Lolita-kun,maybe?
Or Inu-chan?I know in the Bibles the girls are called Neko-chan so with the old bit of girls are like cats,and boys like dogs...Yes?No?

And truly on topic,the main gripe/stipulation seems to be on if they are 'doing it right'.
I agree with this,but also think we should be lenient in judging that.
Some have mentioned the male tendency to be fashion-impaired,that may be the issue in some cases.They overdo it going off of pictures perhaps.

But,I imagine some are very much in the position of a few friends of mine who are drag queens.They couldn't openly saunter into the house with bags full of beautiful wigs and girlish clothes.They couldn't leave the house so attired either.
It was a situation where there was a lot of sneaking which heavily impacted the outcome.
Don't be too harsh,for all you know they had to sneak their frocks out with the garbage.
It's also likely that some would be questioned as to where their money is going if they splurged for a perfect petticoat or professional sort of wig.

In any case,I like it.If it's done right,no massive tracts of body hair,etc.

Silent Hill Hybrid Nurse(For Haunt)
Angelique-Hellraiser(For Haunt)
Kirie Himuro-Fatal Frame
Gaku_X is offline   Reply With Quote