Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
coslink

Your worst wig experience

Haii! So, I'm sure most of you have loads of wigs, but surely in the bundles of wigs you have, there was one that really ruined the rest.

so, what was your worst wig experience?

Was it the quailty when you bought it?

Was is the styling hastle?

Did it fall apart?

My worst experience was my first wig I ever got. It was for link (from legend of zelda) and I was in trouble, it was 2 weeks before the convention in london, and I seriously needed something. (Why did I leave it so long??)
Anyway I only had £10 in my bank ($14) and I was up until 3am one night searching for wig websites. Until I came across one...

BEWARE Do NOT buy wigs from cheapfancy dress websites, even if your only going to wear the wig once. Of coarse I was a fool and got the cheapest most horrible wig on the site. The fibre of the wig was like wire, and fitted a child. The hair started to fall out and It was so embarressing.

So what was your worst wig experience?
coslink is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
robokiss4

i bought a 60$ wig and when i got it home and styled it i messed it up ;_; and the bangs were messed up and i didnt realize that at the store ._.
robokiss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
☆ KEITA
Pokémon Master

I first bought a very tight curled wig, and had to -straighten- it. SO I tried the hot method, didn't work at all. So I brought out my straightener. Bad, bad choice. It fried the wig soo bad, omg. Now I need a new wig, aha. ''OTL

Upcoming Cosplay
WWWl Stocking MALE VER (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)
WWWl Horohoro TOURNAMENT VER (Shaman King)
WWWl Vivi (Luminous Arc)
WWWl Syaoran (Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle)
☆ KEITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I was making a complicated wig, back parted with curled pigtails. First of all when I went to caulk one of the stubs it fell out and I couldn't get it back in the pigtail. The same happened to the other side. The pigtails also wouldn't attach, no matter what I tried. I was actually so angry I cried and punched the wig head in the face.
Unread 09-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
coslink

Ahh yes, straightening a non-human-hair wig is a huuuggge mastake. I fried my cheapy blonde one from the fancy dress store for anger/fun.
coslink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Tif9123

I brought an aerith wig online for £60 and the wig came and it was not styled at all! as nothing like the picture on ebay. i had to wear it for 6 hours just so my friend could put it ino a ponytail and brush all the knots out of it. it then took 2 cans of exprensive bed head hairspray to do the back pattern of aeriths hair and also about 15 little slide clips to hold it together ¬¬.
Then it took 4 hours to cut the frindge right and shape it, and constant hairspray to keep the fringe up though it kept faling. all because someone lied about their stupid wig description ><
Tif9123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

The wig I got for my Sebastian costume was waaay too short in front for my purposes. I tried styling it so it would look longer - it didn't work. Since I had no time to look into wefting it I had to leave some of my real hair sticking out (thank god it was also black), but because of that the wig cap got messed up, and the wig would keep turning on my head, loose strands would fall out, etc.

In almost every picture I have of that costume, it's an eternal bad hair day D:

..... at least now I have the time to weft it, but those bad hair days.. ugh. "OTL

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

My first Zexion wig....it was only for halloween, but the wig I bought was such crappy quality. I didn't figure it would be GREAT, but better than what I was able to find (seriously. Why is it IMPOSSIBLE to find silver/white wigs anywhere but online?). Hell, it wasn't even the ideal shade- I was hoping for silver or white, but the closest I could find was white with blue streaks through it. I managed to get it into a passable style, but I didn't have a wig head at the time so it took me ages to cut it because I was nervous about screwing up and had to keep checking to make sure I was still doing it right. It also was so thin you could see the back wefts where I'd cut it short, even though I left as much as I could on. I definitely didn't feel very proud of it. It just looked so obvious that I was wearing a wig. Second my second (and hopefully wayyyy better) one's finished, I'm chucking it right in the trash.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Hmmm... so far, definitely cutting my first Baiken wig attempt too short T^T;

I always stall on progressing with wigs cuz I'm scared I'll ruin them :x LOL
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Curucar

That would be my Reno (AC version) wig. At the time I made it, I had only styled one wig before and it didn't even cross my mind that wig heads are smaller than our heads. So I was way over my head before I even started.
So hours of styling on the tiny wig head later and I finally try it on. It's smaller than my hairline by like 2" in every direction. By some fluke chance, I got my hair dyed nearly the same colour so I was able to wear the wig without it looking too odd.

But lesson learned! Stretch your wig out and pin it that way when you style a wig on a wig head! >_*
Unread 09-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
Deluxe
idek

My worst wig was my first Sasuke wig, for Kumoricon '08.

My Step-mom is extremely, extremely cheap, and dislikes buying things on the internet, even if I used my money, because of the added shipping price. She didn't care if we spent fifty dollars on a wig, she just, for some stupid unknown reason, didn't want any of it to go into shipping.

So after going to a gross Halloween store, she took me to a wig store downtown, and we looked through wigs. We ended up buying a shoulder-length black one. After weeks of no cutting or styling, she took my refs and cut it herself--on my younger brother's head.

And when I tried it on, it was a good length, but now the quality...it just didn't look so nice anymore, and it would NOT hold any spikes no matter I used, so come Kumoricon, I had a mound of gross-looking hairsprayed mess on my head.

When I got my new wig (From Ebay), I promptly threw the old one in the trash.

And my Step-mom kept telling me, "They look EXACTLY the same!! You're such an ungrateful brat sometimes." .___.
Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
haru_sohma_lvr
Cosplay Since 1999

My mingon wig was just hell.
I had never styled a wig before, and I was making these large loops in the hair. My friend, who told me she'd styled wigs lots of times before, told me the easiest thing to do was use giant sheets of plastic as a skeleton of the wig. Bad idea. I did it that way, but the wig ended up sliding back the whole day, and it was so heavy that I had a terrible headache the entire day. I restyled it without the plastic recently, and it came out fabulous.

My other worst wig experience was when I had to style a complicated odango wig in my hotel room the day before I had to wear it. I created a brand new technique for making hair buns with non-wefted extensions that no one should ever try unless it's an emergency like mine was.
Unread 09-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
LKD
Is a princess!!

My Jasmine wig x.x I spent all day styling it and keeping it from tangling and I leave it on my wig head in my room. I go out with my friends and when I come back the cleaning lady had taken it off the head and stuffed it in a 5x12 box and put a wig i had chopped hair off on the wig head -.- My wig has been a mess since.
I actually wore it the day after and yea it was horrible. My rollers showed, my hair keep peeking out, the wind murdered it some more...I gave up long wigs after this >.<
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
MK_Toxic
Eeeemm Kaayy. :D

I'd say my worst one was the fiiiirstt time I styled a wig. and I had to pick Axel. wtf, me. it was a good quality wig i'd gotten from amphigory, so it wasn't a problem of quality. two hours later I called myself done. aaanndd it was a scraggly, horrible looking mess. >__<;
wore it for halloween (thank god i was staying at the house for halloween...) and promptly washed the styling out a week later to try again. five hours later and the second attempt went muuuchh better.
Here, have some before and after.

The terrible before. what was I thinking. >_<
and now the much better after. c:

The lesson for that? DON'T RUSH WITH WIGS. Take your time. Take breaks. Open a window. hahahah.

The scariest one I think was my Reno wig, which was my second wig styling job. I got a Punky XL and knew I had to cut and style it, and was TERRIFIED I was going to mess it up. D:
There was so much wig hair on my dining room table. hahaha. I think I got lucky with that one.
Nearly eight hours of cutting, layering, tapering, and spiking later and we have this:

And on:

Hard work. It pays off. <3333
Eevee gijinka: [||| ] 75%
Kazutaka Muraki: [|| ] 25%
Twilight Princess Zelda: [ ] 0%
[[con list]]
Anime Expo 2009: DONE.
Anime Vegas: Not going. :c
Anime Banzai: October 16-18th, SLC Utah

MK_Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
MK_Toxic
Eeeemm Kaayy. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKD View Post
My Jasmine wig x.x I spent all day styling it and keeping it from tangling and I leave it on my wig head in my room. I go out with my friends and when I come back the cleaning lady had taken it off the head and stuffed it in a 5x12 box and put a wig i had chopped hair off on the wig head -.- My wig has been a mess since.
I actually wore it the day after and yea it was horrible. My rollers showed, my hair keep peeking out, the wind murdered it some more...I gave up long wigs after this >.<
ROXIE. 8D
yeah. that wig is a nightmare. srsly. XC
try some wig conditioner. or you can have super patience and gently/slowly comb it out with water going from the bottom up in 5" sections. c:
It's how I untangle Reno's ponytail. XDDD
Eevee gijinka: [||| ] 75%
Kazutaka Muraki: [|| ] 25%
Twilight Princess Zelda: [ ] 0%
[[con list]]
Anime Expo 2009: DONE.
Anime Vegas: Not going. :c
Anime Banzai: October 16-18th, SLC Utah

MK_Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote