Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MikomiCon

Closed Thread
Unread 09-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

MikomiCon 2009 Feedback Thread

Hey everyone,

Once MikomiCon 2009 is over, please reply and give your thoughts on this year's con. Stuff like:

Did you like the con? Or not so much?

What were some of the highlights for you or disappointments?

And.. will you return next year in 2010 or not?

Feel free to discuss what you thought about various things about the con: the hotel, the staff, masquerade, dealers' room, panels, cosplayers, etc.

Please be courteous if you have something to post about that you didn't like, as those con-staff who may read these posts want to know how to improve for next year. So try to keep it polite throughout the thread.

Thanks for your input!
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 09-22-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Unread 09-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Vensy
Prop Designer

Seemed really really small and quiet. I only went on Saturday. This was my first time going, but I heard from people that last year's was bigger? I'll probably return next year, just cuz I'd like to see the convention grow.

As for events and whatnot, I kept leaving the area and coming back (to eat, get boba, etc), but from when I was there the only thing I really checked out was that game they were playing outside around 10pm from RPG Maker. Was amusing, lol.

I didn't get a badge so I didn't go into any of the badge-required places. Just wanted to hang out with friends.
Unread 09-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Super No 1
Yeah!!!!

I absolutely love this convention. I really enjoy photographing conventions and the CSUN campus is a big playground for me. This is the only convention in the Los Angeles area that I get really excited about shooting at. It's simply an amazing place to shoot. There are so many possibilities if you're willing to explore and do some walking. Any cosplayers and photographers that shot with me over the weekend will tell you that we did a lot of walking to find some very unique areas to take photos. We were all over this campus. On my flickr is just a small sample of what was tried.

Atmosphere is pretty laid back. Honestly, I think the heat drained the energy out of a lot of people including myself, but there isn't much you can do about that. If you simply stay oustide in the main area, the staff seems almost non-existent except for the one's running some of the outside events. The staff isn't one that will harass you for stupid little things and that's good.

As for cosplayers, I can only talk about the ones I worked with. I didn't work with a lot of cosplayers, but I spent a lot of time with the ones that I photographed. I spent Saturday working with cosplayers that I've never met and they were very friendly and willing to spend the time and go out to various locations around the campus. It was very refreshing to work with new cosplayers who have a great attitude. I'd definitely love to work with any of them again.

Dealers' room--really small. I think it took me ten minutes to browse through it.

I kinda miss the karaoke room, but replacing it with a Rock Band lounge was interesting. I've set up Rock Band at the SoCal Gathering picnic in Irvine for the past two years and am always amazed when I see a setup more outrageous than mine. I felt it was a bit too organized though. I didn't like that fact that they made you sign up on a list with a complete 4-person band in order to play. Just let people get in there and have fun.

I watched the taiko group perform on Sunday and I always make it a point to not miss that. I love having them at this con. I also listened to Traci Hines' performance. I've never heard her before, but she has an amazing voice. It was nice to hear somebody new perform at an anime convention.

I'm definitely coming back simply because it's my favorite convention in Southern California to take photos at.
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)

Last edited by Super No 1 : 09-21-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
ScarletRhapsody
That Girl!

The Good
+ Very relaxing con.
+ Nice location for photos. Great if you dig them photo shoots.
+ Dealer's Room had lots of dvds that I wanted at sweet prices. Yet, I'm saving my money for NYAF this weekend.
+ It was a very interesting experience being on the behind the scenes side of masquerade. This was a wonderful opportunity that I would totally do again!
+ Rooms were nice and cool!
+ Getting a Gijinka Persian (based off my design) commission drawn by JessiCon.
+ Those fabulous gummy worms from the ALA peeps.
+ Seeing friends again!
+ Sunday's DragonBALD Evolution commentary by Kyle Hebert. Now that's entertainment! Totally worth the price of con admission.

The Bad
+ Other than Kyle Hebert's commentary screening, there was not much to do on Sunday.
+ Arm muscles are still sore from carrying around a dollfie with an Oakland booty. (Korean face, for the record)
+ 90 degree weather, but it's the valley. Can't be helped.

The HUH?
+ May not have a lot of time to upload photos / report. I still have NDK to take care of and New York Anime Fest this weekend.
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
Hazel Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vensy View Post
I didn't get a badge so I didn't go into any of the badge-required places. Just wanted to hang out with friends.
The reason your friends went there to hang out is because MikomiCon rented the space. This costs money. Lots of money -- about half of the registration fee went straight to that. (More, actually, because CSUN students got in free or nearly so.)

"Badge-required places" is the whole place, from an ethical point of view, even if the convention staff can't effectively have badgers (badge checkers) everywhere.

If MikomiCon doesn't break even, it probably won't happen next year. You couldn't justify spending the $20 to keep things going?

The reason we ALL go to the convention is to see the other people going to it -- that's what "convening" is all about.
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)
Unread 09-21-2009, 02:54 AM   #6
Vash_Fanatic
Sewious Bwuisness!

I was there on Saturday, didn't stay for very long(due to work). I did cosplay..in fact that is the main reason why I went there. I met up with a couple of friends and was very entertained for the few hours that I did stay.

The con was very small, I saw a lot of familiar faces. Small, but rather enjoyable.

Campus was HUGE (but beautiful!). I did get lost..-.-"

I did not go into the dealer's hall, well, just because I heard there wasn't very much inside. I do feel really bad about not buying a pass, but for the time that I spent there, it wasn't really worth it.

All in all, I thought of it more as a gathering like the So Cal Cosplay gathering and no so much as a convention. I may attend again next year. Kinda torn on it. (The drive was terrible in time, but wonderful scenery).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Chaz View Post
If MikomiCon doesn't break even, it probably won't happen next year. You couldn't justify spending the $20 to keep things going?

The reason we ALL go to the convention is to see the other people going to it -- that's what "convening" is all about.
While I agree it is great to support the cause, you have to understand that most of the attendees were young and most of them probably have very little income.

Hanging out with friends should be free.

I have met people who don't pay for Anime Expo when they attend. I just looking at it this way, they are missing out. If they just went there to hang out, no problem.

Costume Log
Secret Tunnel<--Avatar: The Last Airbender Nomads
Commissions! PM me!
Tutorials and Moar Here! :3 Facebook? Add me

Last edited by Vash_Fanatic : 09-21-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Unread 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Hazel Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash_Fanatic View Post
While I agree it is great to support the cause, you have to understand that most of the attendees were young and most of them probably have very little income.

Hanging out with friends should be free.
Oh, hanging out with your friends at your own place or party is fine. But crashing someone else's event is not cool. It's not just a coincidence that all those friends were on campus that day.

And being broke does not mean you have a right to attend every event.
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
FiveRings

Quote:
Oh, hanging out with your friends at your own place or party is fine. But crashing someone else's event is not cool. It's not just a coincidence that all those friends were on campus that day.
Your first post irked me because you came off very rude. This post just confirms that and has convinced me not to attend ALA if you are it's chairperson. I'll also ask any cosplayers I might work with not to attend either.

You should know as well as anyone that a con is about it's people. You should also know all it takes to get a gathering like that is a well organized forum thread. I'm fairly certain that without cosplay.com, this event would have been a complete failure. Did you look at Mikomicon.com's forum? Deserted. And that was before they collected a dime in registration. If Mikomicon doesn't break even, you can't harp on these cosplayers for not paying. Blame the organizers for not giving them a reason to pay.

Quote:
And being broke does not mean you have a right to attend every event.
Last I heard, they have the "right" to check out any event they want to. I'm sure if they saw something worth going to that required a badge, they would've paid for it.

As for the con itself, it seemed like they tried to stretch 1-2 days of programming over 3 days, which left a lot of dead time. I paid for it and don't think it was worth it. I was mainly there to photograph, but when there was downtime, I'd go check out the panels only to find there were none going on. The only thing I enjoyed was the band performances. Nisei festival was free and had more to see/do.

The people were the best part. Just about all the attendees were either cosplayers or photographers. Most everyone was outside and seemed to be having fun. Anyone inside was just trying to beat the heat. I paid for a badge and I didn't need to. I went inside for all of 20 minutes: 10 at the beginning to look around (before I had my badge) and 10 later on to catch some air conditioning.
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
daoutlaw
9.8s until your despair

I think this con needs to take a new route. So far, having the typical convention format did not help this con at all. It may have even hurt them a lot, trying to rent out those rooms and cutting events down.

Maybe a school festival theme? They are in middle of school, after all.

-地獄

Plastic Ronins:
Your online source for action figures, movies, Conventions, and much more!
Unread 09-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
Hazel Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveRings View Post
Your first post irked me because you came off very rude. This post just confirms that and has convinced me not to attend ALA if you are it's chairperson. I'll also ask any cosplayers I might work with not to attend either.
I apologize for my offensive tone.

Some people believe that they don't need to support MikomiCon if they want to take advantage of it.

It is my position that they are doing the convention harm.
Unread 09-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
Super No 1
Yeah!!!!

Quote:
Some people believe that they don't need to support MikomiCon if they want to take advantage of it.

It is my position that they are doing the convention harm.
I think that can be said about any convention. Ghosts probably don't hurt the large events too much, but for the smaller conventions, it can mean determine whether the con dies or lives to see another year.

One less con is not a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveRings View Post
Honestly, there will still be a lot of good photographers at ALA. One photographer's boycott isn't going to do squat. Cosplayers shoot with whoever they can find. If not you, than they will find someone else if they really want to go to ALA. That's the way it goes.
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)

Last edited by Super No 1 : 09-21-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Unread 09-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
[BMICplay]Chae

Con was cute but things didnt go as sceduled... and annoyingly I got a parking ticket for parking on the far white side of the lot where there isnt a sign that says parking permit needed, was there some parking intruction in the site that I missed? now I have to pay double than what I spent on the badges/passes. Lame... and the ticket says the right plate number but the wrong car color lol... uber lame and weird... So uber strict for an event going on...

But on the other hand I bought alot of cute stuff.... oh and I liked watching the people do that sumo thing and staff people were funny and nice.

Last edited by [BMICplay]Chae : 09-21-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added more comments
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
Shivaness
Shiva

I personally LOVED the con. Though I feel guilty not buying a pass either...but last year I did buy a pass. Sorry that it's small and doesn't have many events, but I promise next year to support it as much as possible! >< Last year I bought a pass, but sadly this year I didn't! Next year I will though~

So eventful, got to meet new people and hang out with old ones. Attended only the dance on Saturday since it was the only active thing going on and well...can't do much while pregnant so I was lounging around most of the time and trying not to overdue myself.

For Chaz, I understand what you're trying to say, and I support the idea of supporting the con even for 20 bucks~ Oh! And for ALA, you're the chairman and you've been doing an AWESOME job at it! Been attending for about 3 years now, so you can expect me and a couple of my friends to support ALA! >=D Whoo!
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
Summoner Lenne
Misao Clone

Ok, this is ridiculous guys.

I understand not being able to afford a con. I'm a broke college student. Cons are expensive. But half the people I saw at the con were ghosting. Most were my friends, actually. And everyone has the same excuse 'I'm just coming to hang out with my friends! I'm not going to do anything at the con! So, sorry, but...'

Like Chaz said, the REASON people are at the con in the FIRST place is- there's a con here! And it takes MONEY for that to happen. To rent the facilities costs MONEY. Where do you think the con gets most of it FROM? Memberships! Everyone complained last year- I think justifiably- that memberships cost too much at 50 dollars. So they dropped the reg, TO 20 BUCKS. I'm sorry, but if you save up long enough anyone can get together 20 dollars. Or you could, you know, volunteer. Ya, that thing that HELPS the con rather than hinder it?

Everyone who says 'I'll support next year!" Well, we'll see if they'll even be one. I honestly think the con is going to not have enough money. And it's every single one of your faults- because you may think 'I'm only one person, how much could this hurt the con?' But it's not just you, it's ALL of you. And again, many many of you are my friends- you all know who you are. I love you all dearly, but this was WRONG.

I agree the con didn't have much going for it- for me Dragon Bald was AWESOME and so was Rockband, and otherwise all the fun I had was from hanging out with my friends. But this is worth 20 bucks.

Also, Fiverings? Yes, cosplay gatherings are made by cosplay.com and would fail without them. Cons? Not so much. Not everyone who goes to a con is a cosplayer, and I'm not going to lie and say it's not HELPFUL, but they have other ways of getting the word out- sure Mikomicon would have had less people if not for this forum, but not NONE.

And no, they HAD a reason to pay. The reason was to be there with their friends. That's worth 50 bucks.

And also, many of my friends who I went '...' and said this all to responded with the response of ('cus they know I'm an ALA staffer and whatnot) "Oh, don't worry! I'll pay for ALA- gonna support THAT!". Um, WHAT? So Mikomicon is NOT worth supporting? Mikomicon is worth it going under and not surviving again?

I agree Mikomicon needs to have more interesting programming and whatnot. But if you want to boycott the con, go ahead and boycott. If you go, PAY. It's 20 lousy bucks! I heard some kids saying 'Hey, how much is reg?' "20." 'Oh... I spent 20 on manga and chocolate already..." "Oh, really? It's ok, they don't really care if you don't have a badge.'

*HEADDESK*

Just- AAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Vent done. Liked the con, agree it needs more programming. GAHHH!

Edit: Actually, a few more points. If you want to go meet up with your friends for free, TONS of cosplay gatherings a year. But not everyplace will let you. You can't get into Disneyland and justify it with "I wasn't going to go on any rides! I'm just going to hang out with my friends and look around at the landscape!" ('Cus, you know, it's AWESOME at Disneyland.) Too bad. It's your choice if you don't want to go on any rides, but if you want to hang out with your friends at Disneyland you have to pay for it, and if you're broke? Well. That sucks for you. But if you went for free, and everyone else did also, Disneyland couldn't function.

And last point to Fiverings. If you want to boycott ALA that's fine. Go, don't go to the con, don't pay for it. Good for you. You actually decided to not go, and made a stand on it and didn't give it any money.

Everyone else did the same thing who ghosted, instead they just showed up to Mikomicon and effectively boycotted it. So good job guys! Good job -_-.

Last edited by Summoner Lenne : 09-21-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
StarlitHellsing

I really liked the convention, since it was so small it was much more personal. I actually got to talk to people and there weren't mobs of people swarming for cosplay photos. It was a nice number and the scenery was beautiful.

I only had one problem with the con....the video rooms. Unfortunately every time I went into one it was having a technical difficulty or it would be working fine until halfway through the anime then it was having a problem. It would have been nice for a staff member to stay in the room to keep it running smoothly.

Thank you for an amazing convention, I had lots of fun and the game room was awesome!

Oh, and I realized something about the mikomicon forums...for some reason it doesn't allow people to post on them, I've tried several times and so have many others. Could that be the reason no one posted there? I think so. So whoever it was saying Mikomicon owes cosplay.com for their publicity needs to calm down a bit.

Come on guys, it's $20, support the con and watch it grow.
Closed Thread