Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 09-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Riiko Izawa

Supernatural cosplays?

I'm talking about the show on the CW, not random generic werewolves, vampires, elves, etc.

I've seen a few here and it inspired me to get my butt working on my Lilith costume. I love the creepy lil' demon and I want to do her costume before she's killed off; which means I want to premiere her at a con sometime before S4 ends, since I'm sure she'll be dead by the end of this season.

Anyway, how noticeable would a Lilith be to SPN fans? The damn demon changes hosts so many times, it's hard to choose a costume. But I decided to go with her most distinguishable, the dress with the blood on it from No Rest For the Wicked;
http://www.supernatural.tv/gallery/s...6-02-45-95.jpg

Along with the blood on the hands. Since I have a wig that I could easily add a barrette to and matt it/wave it up a bit, I may just do this for Halloween and for a small convention coming around my town at the end of September once I get my hand on some fake blood.

As far as I know, there isn't really trustworthy contacts that are all white that won't blind you, but if there are and somebody can direct me to them for a cheap price, I'd appreciate it. I was also thinking about doing her once she takes over in Ruby's host in the finale, but if people even recognized it, it would be confused easily unless I found some all white contacts.

Anyone else thinking about doing a Supernatural cosplay? If not, input on the Lilith idea?

ASHLEY
Riiko Izawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Rukeya

As a fellow Supernatural fan, I think trying cosplay based on it would be a fantastic idea. The only unfortunate part is that the CW is more known for its teen dramas, placing Supernatural on the back burner as well as a less widely 'realized show'.
In honesty, I'm unsure if I'd recognize a cosplay as Lilith even as a fan. Also, because she changes forms so often (as you mentioned), it might be hard to pin point what you'd be cosplaying as just from seeing you.
On the bright side, the downside to that character can also be a strength. Because she switches 'bodies' so often, you don't have to worry about looking exactly like the character you're trying to portray. If you could pull off her insanely creepy attitude- and perhaps drag around a few 'loving hostages', it may be more recognizable.
Judging from the pictures I've seen from your profile- you seem like you could pull off the child-like features (which is what seems to be her trademark).

I've thought about cosplaying someone from Supernatural in the past, but I have doubts in my ability to do so. It's much harder, I find, to emulate someone that already exists if you don't already look similar (whereas what's animated can be better forced).
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Bassringer

As you've both said, SPN would be hard to recognize, but still a lot of fun. I'm planning to get black lenses for another costume and might use them sometime as Meg.
Bassringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Riiko Izawa

@ Rukeya:
Those are all really good points. I guess I was hoping if there were Supernatural fans around, they'd recognize the costume and all - since it seems to be one of her more 'major' ones since the finale isn't really easily forgotten. But that's also why I wanted to try and find all white contacts (no luck so far online for a decent price), I figured that might make it easier even if somebody would have to get into a close range to tell.
You're also right about it being harder to dress up as a character from an actual show if you don't look similar to them, I had those doubts at first with Lilith (so the comment about me being able to pull off the child like features was a big relief, thanks ) but then you see all the Dark Knight Jokers and Harry Potter characters that sometimes don't look very similar to the actors, but it's still a fun thing to do. Let me know if you ever decide to go for it!

@Bassringer: Meg would be bad-arse. (; We could wreck demon-havoc.. that is, of course, assuming you lived anywhere near me and we went to any of the same cons, which I doubt both with my luck.
But still, Meg's an awesome character, she's one of my favorite demons.

*EDIT* I found contacts at a Halloween contacts store, do these look good for Lilith's eyes?
http://www.lensmart.com/la/product/d...echnology_blin

ASHLEY

Last edited by Riiko Izawa : 09-16-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Unread 09-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
RoxyDirKaoru

I LOVE Supernatural! Can't wait to see you're cos finnished
Unread 09-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Riiko Izawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miara View Post
I LOVE Supernatural! Can't wait to see you're cos finnished
Thanks. I can't wait, either.
My friend borrowed my Namine wig for a cosplay of her's, so I can't do much with the wig until I get it back early October but progress pictures as far as the dress (and contacts if I can order those ones I posted in time) should be up soon.

ASHLEY
Unread 09-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Rukeya

Those contacts would look awesome (and creepy)!
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
Riiko Izawa

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll definitely be going with those ones - though it's not the best idea for Halloween since they hinder your sight dramatically as far as I know, I'll have friends with me there and at the con, so I guess it won't matter.

For anyone that has worked with contacts before, I do need to make an appointment to get the proper measurements for a prescreption, right? I've never dealt with contacts before, so I'm not sure.

ASHLEY
Unread 09-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Bassringer

The law says you can't get lenses in the US without a prescription. And it's probably not AS big a deal with regular (non-sclera) sized lenses, but I learned the hard way that not all eyeballs are curved equally, so your optometrist will be able to make sure that the ones on that site will actually sit properly on your eye.

As for con demon havoc, I'm always looking for more cons where I can exhibit. If there are big ones in your neck of the woods, I'd love to hear about them.
Bassringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
Riiko Izawa

Good to know then, thanks. I made an appointment with my optometrist for next Tuesday just incase, so good to know I actually do need that appointment.

Hm, Anime Boston's pretty big (and getting bigger each year), and that's really the only one I go to. However, come '09 I'll have my lisence, so I'd be willing to travel out somewhere, too. As long as my friends are up for it, seeing as how those contacts apparently impair your vision, I don't really want to run into walls because of being by myself. aha.

I just realized you're in Canada, that's probably a bit too far for me to be willing to go for a convention. Nevermind. (;

**EDIT** - The first progress pictures of Lilith will be up either October 1st or 2nd, since that's when I'll be getting my wig back from a friend to work on it all together.

ASHLEY

Last edited by Riiko Izawa : 09-17-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
Inoli
I Nom Swords

awww! time to resurrect this thread and see if I cant get more SPN Fans to squee a bit. Anime is fun but I'm finding a new challenge with this XD

For Anime LA I'll be wandering around as John Winchester with my friend going as Dean. really....if someone knows who we are I'll be impressed. but I'm doing the costume for me [as the challenge in this is to make me, 27 YO woman look like a 540/50yo stubbled rough faced man]
I think the hardest part thus far....the clothing and a wig for John o.o; guh! Anyone know any good SPN Galleries?

[/color] [/size]
Inoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
moonflower.

My friend and I are thinking about doing Ruby and Bela costumes, we just don't know where.. plus we'd need a sam and dean to look recognizable, i think.
moonflower. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Riiko Izawa

I'm bringing this topic back to life, since I'm doing Ruby (season 4 GC) for Anime Boston and Connecticon of 2010.

Anyone have any idea how to go about making her knife?

ASHLEY
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
fandalia
mermaid at heart

oh that sounds awsome i am a huge fan of supernatural. i wish i lived close to boston to see your cosplay.
fandalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
Riiko Izawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey petals View Post
oh that sounds awsome i am a huge fan of supernatural. i wish i lived close to boston to see your cosplay.
LOL. I recruited my friend to join me as Dean.
So, I'll honestly be surprised if anyone recognizes us.

ASHLEY