Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 737 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #1396
Moonsong
daughter of evil

Has anyone ever bought from unique_wonderland on ebay?

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #1397
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

People, read the first post- this thread is not for asking people if different commissioners/stores are 'safe, 'good', whatever. If there isn't a review here, do a forums-wide search, and if you still get nuthin', well, there's nuthin'. If anything, post those questions in the 'commissioners not to go to' thread.

Name of Merchant: Cosworx
Item purchased: Clover-L in Pink and Pink wigcap.
Links to picture(s) of your received item: It's put up right now so it can be stubbed and styled, so sorry for the shitty pictures XD; Also, my camera is weird and neither of the pics really accurately show the color, it's more pinky than the first pic but less yellowy than the second pic.
http://i35.tinypic.com/2cfqfj7.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/34j2dj7.jpg Shows you some of the thinner wefts when put up (it's pretty well covered when it's down)
Timeline (how long your order took to process): 1 week Ordered last Saturday late at night, arrived today (Friday).
Describe your Experience: Finally got the money to order my wig supplies, so as soon as my money hit the bank I ordered the wig and wigcap. The order was placed late the night of the 19th (Saturday), the items shipped on Monday the 21st and arrived today, Friday the 25th (all September, derp). I'm located in Chicago, so almost cross country but not quite. I was sent a UPS tracking notification maybe a few hours tops after Cosworx sent the ship notification (so don't worry if you don't get the UPS notif right away after your shipping notif).

The fiber is very nice and soft, there was a few frizzed fibers but they're pretty much unnoticeable and I'm stubbing this baby anyway. For such a light colored wig, I'm pleasantly surprised that it isn't as translucent as I thought it would be. It's not white but it's light pink so I was worried that it would be thin and light enough that I'd have to add a lot of extra wefts, but I don't think I'll have to add more than 3 if even. I have a small head and haven't tried it on yet, but my wighead actually has a bigger head than me by an inch and the wig fit on it with lots of room to spare. The bangs on it are a little thinner than I'd like, but I have to trim them a little anyway so they'll probably be fine (and there are details on my forehead for this costume that I want to show through anyway XD). Really, the perfect choice for what I'm using it for.

I've ordered their wigcaps before so I know the quality is good on that as well.

Final Grade: A+ Any worries I may have had about the custom wig line are gone (as far as quality, anyway).
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #1398
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

Name of Commissioner : limebarb

Website/C.com gallery : www.limebarb.com

Character commissioned and series/video game : Krad [DNAngel]

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item : will post one later.

Timeline (how long your order took to process) : Commissioned in Feburary, recieved September 24, 3 weeks after my deadline.

Pros : The coat was well made. I don't see it falling apart. It fits perfectly. Fairly quick at answering e-mails. Sends pictures of what you are recieving before shipping. Provides tracking numbers.

Cons : Ugh. I'm so disapointed:

-For one, for whatever reason, they decided to make the lining of my coat as a separate piece, like a dress almost. They made the shirt part of the costume purple when it was supposed to be white. [this was not included in the picture i received before shipped.]
-Secondly...I commissioned this in February for September 5. I see no reason why it was 3 weeks late. I didn't even get to wear it at my con.
-There are a lot of loose threads on the costume, which worries me slightly.
-She didn't send me my full costume. She did not mail me my pants.
-It took me to email her first to inquire as to why my costume was late. And each day she would say "I'm sending it out tomorrow" and it just seemed like tomorrow would never come. This went on for 2 weeks.

Comments : Meh. I don't want to really start a hatred on Limebarb, but I don't feel that this outfit was worth my $405 that I paid. I am extremely disappointed, [I did hear bad things about them, but I heard more great than I did negative, and I have friends who ordered from them that highly reccomended them] but I did commission something else from them for October...[prior to receiving this outfit] something not as expensive. I hope it comes out a lot better [and I will post here again if it does] and turns my feelings about them around, but I'm not happy with them right now at all.

Final Grade : C
In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #1399
Kirakishou7
Youtube: iwuvmyblankey

Name of Commissioner: Red Star Costumes

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.redstarcostumes.com/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Rikku from Final Fantasy 10-2 (entire costume)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Can check out my profile for my Rikku costume section, should have more pictures uploaded soon.

Timeline (how long your order took to process): I commissioned the costume about May 2009 and was hand delivered on Friday of Otakon 2009.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.

Pros
: Rikku was the first costume I ever owned/commissioned, as Otakon 2009 was my first convention. I knew nothing of cosplay or what I was doing. I really wanted to go to an anime convention and heard dressing up made a convention. So I searched through commissioners and emailed around 20. I only had two responses. Redstar was one of them and seemed to be the best quality for example pictures. Very friendly, kept up with emails, updates, and even sent invoices. She was attending Otakon so even offered to hand deliver it to save on shipping - though since I used paypal payments, I had to pay extra for paypal fees as she requested that. The costume was delivered the morning of the Friday convention so I was able to wear my costume.

Cons: The cons are, the boots fell apart the moment I slipped them on. All the white paint on the boots just flew off and went all over the hotel room, it was like projectile. I called her on the phone and had her come up and look at them. She said she did not know what happened, she put some clear nail polish on the boots and said to give them back to her Sunday and she would fix them and mail me new boots. The problem was, my flight left at Sunday 5am and considering it was my first convention, by the time I was done with the Cosplay, it was like Sunday 2am when I got home/done partying, so was unable to deliver it. During the convention, wearing the boots proved very painful. The construction was made very poorly as more parts of the boots fell apart, including the inside lining. I wore socks, but the inside was so sharp from materials, it cut through my socks and gave me several wounds, still to this day I have many scars around my ankles that the boots have left me. They were also uncomfortable to wear. The boots looked OWFUL and had many people comment on how poorly they looked, asking me if I was in a fight or something. As for the costume itself, the skirt was too short and kept riding up when I walked, so I spent most of the time holding my skirt down. The bra top stretched just by wearing it for an hour by 3-4 inches and I had to safety pin it (not from being too small, it just stretched on it's own), their was a lot of empty space in the breast area so I had to use a lot of tape to prevent from popping out, which looked really bad. The sleeves were to large for my arm and kept falling down my arm and had to be constantly brought back up. The wig was well made, but heavy. In general the costume was very cute and I liked it, but the mishaps were too many. The worse part was the price, I felt at the time it was normal until I looked at more commisioners prices and the marketplace for costumes. I paid a total of $380.00 dollars!! Just for a wig, bra top, skirt, scarf, sleeves and boots. WAY overpriced and I will not commission from her again, because of her prices, I felt robbed, considering other comissioners were only asking around $180, used costumes were between $40 and $90, even Ebay was cheaper. I am even embarassed to tell others what I paid because the costume does not look worth over $60 dollars. I asked for a qoute on just a plain blue coat after she made my Rikku and she wanted over $200 dollars. When I asked many others, they asked for under $100 and gave a detailed breakdown on what each material cost them and what they charged per hour, Redstar does not do this, and they were just as good. After Otakon, a few weeks later, I did mail the boots back, costing about $13 dollars. I contemplated whether to or not, if it would be worth it, since I was out even more money
shipping it back. I asked for it to be done by NYAF 2009 but she did not make the deadline. I said it was fine, I would wear something else. As far as I know, she is still working on the boots.

Final Grade: C+
On the final note, unless she lowers her prices and improves on making boots, I don't believe her costumes are worth the prices.

Last edited by Kirakishou7 : 09-28-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Kirakishou7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #1400
Kirakishou7

Name of Commissioner: Fantasy Props

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.fantasyprops.com/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Yuna's summoner staff and Rikku's twin blades.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: In my profile.

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Commissioned July 26th and finished/delivered September 17th, made it within the deadline for NYAF 2009.

Pros
: Fantasy props is very friendly, timely in emails and works with you. Plus I got my prop in time for NYAF 2009! I actually bought the Rikku props from another cosplayer through the marketplace who comissioned from the same guy, very well made, extremely detailed and sturdy, they look so good, I was impressed. The Yuna staff I commissioned myself through the website. He charged me a total of $250 for the staff. I sent $50 as down payment to get started. I requested the staff to be made in three pieces, collapsible, so I could carry it on the plane as a carry on luggage and not spend the $20 bucks to send it down below. When I got the staff, it was very well made, sturdy, and gorgeous, very detailed! I was amazed. I love it. Though, it was only in two pieces and I panicked, not thinking I could take it onto the plane, since this is my first time I would travel with a prop. I emailed him about this, he apologized about the mix up and gave me a detailed email about how to make it into three pieces myself or other alternatives I could use. I did not have any money and was afraid to split it myself, since I spent it all planning for NYAF and did not get paid again till the day of the convention, so he refunded me $20 dollars so I could buy a fishing pole case that he said I could take on the plane and even offered to fix the staff for free when I came back if I wanted. I was able to carry the staff thank goodness as a carry on in the end. Though the fishing pole case cost me $28 with tax (I borrowed the 8 bucks hahaha), the cheapest I could find, but it did work. Worked so well, I decided to keep it in two pieces and not have him split it again. All in all, I will commision from him again for more difficult props, as I am happy with his work.

Cons: A bit pricey. But still good prices in the end compared to other prop makers, especially with his quality.

Final Grade: A+

Last edited by Kirakishou7 : 09-28-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #1401
Kirakishou7

Name of Commissioner: doyea_mj

Website/C.com gallery: http://myworld.ebay.com/doyea_mj/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Sheryl Nome from Macross Frontier (white/pink promotional poster dress and hat)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: In my profile.

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Ordered 08/10/09, delivered 09/15/09

Pros
: Beautiful dress and pretty accurate. I really liked the quality and it looked great on me. =] The seller was very good with emails and even provided a tracking number. Arrived in time for NYAF 2009 and worked very well during the convention, I was quite happy.

Cons: When the costume arrived, I was a bit shock a lot of the pieces had to be safety pinned on, I thought they were attached. Which included the cuff links (figured it would be buttons, but I had to safety pin it together), the bow and tail. The costume was also obviously too large for me, I know most of these sellers on Ebay just pull out a costume close to you're size and not actually make one for you. But figured it would not be too off, I could work with a one inch difference. When I put it on, their was a lot of empty space in the breast area (about 3-4 inches) - I am a B cup and it's obvious the dress was for a C, I had to buy a convertible bra (Victoria Secret $58 dollars) with very thick water cushions just to make up for space. :X The waist area was also about 3 inches to large, you could see a large open gap in the back of the dress, when it's supposed to be snug against my body, not away from it. The way I made the dress fit, was basically to cinch myself like a corset with ribbons (the dress overlapped in the back because of this but was not too noticeable), I also used around ten safety pins in the breast area, because the inside cups fell off (poorly sewed in, literally ONE stitch) and I safety pinned both breast fabric pieces together from the inside to prevent "pop outs." I also tightened the top ribbon half (that went around the neck) to bring up the dress a lot more (a bit uncomfortable), again, to give the appearance I was larger and actually fit into the top half of my dress when I really didn't. So basically with a lot of cinching and safety pins, I made the dress fit. It was kinda painful, long to do, and many times pieces were pulled off by the slightest tug, so I stopped around 20 times for my boyfriend to fix it for me because I couldn't reach it myself. This is also a dress that is literally impossible to put on yourself, you have to get help, because of the way it was made (ribbons in the back, safety pin bow, then tail after ribbons are cinched on the dress). If more pieces were originally attached together, it probably would not have that problem. And oh, the hat was really cute, though a pain to safety pin it to my wig (ordered from a different seller).
Sooo, I did contact the seller, and asked him what he planned to do to fix this. He simply replied "sorry it don't fit, use safety pins." I was PISSED and on a mission now, I was nice before, but turned vicious with that response. I threatened to open a paypal dispute, leave negative feedback, wanted him to overnight me a new costume that actually fit me, that my convention was coming up very fast and I was unhappy with his service. He emailed back he was sorry, that he would give me a Vocaloid costume in L overnight shipping if I wanted. I replied I wanted my Macross dress and I am a small, not large! Next email again said he was sorry and wanted me to prove that the measurements I provided were the right ones. So I took pictures of me measuring myself (to show the numbers) as well as pictures of how the dress was so loose on my body. With this, he immediately turned into the most wonderful seller in existance. I believe he must of thought I was trying to scam him and get a free fitting dress out of it. But he did refund me ALL my money (dress + shipping + insurance) for my dress and even said I could keep it, if I left him good feedback. I was all for this. I figured, I could make adjustments myself, even if I had to pay for alterations, not bad all in all for a free dress. I was able to use the extra money for the convention itself. However, if the dress was like 10 inches too big, I would of sent it back and requested another dress and told him to keep the money, I would just want him to pay for the shipping back. But since it was 3-4 inches, I figured I could just safety pin the stuffings out of myself. :P And besides, my convention was a week away, I did not want to be without a costume. I know I already had my Yuna, but I wanted a second one x.x.

Final Grade: B-
Would be an F if he didn't refund me and an A if it fit/did not have a lot of safety pin pieces. But the dress was very pretty, pretty good quality suprisingly since I heard many of these sellers have bad quality (thrown together costumes, not accurate) and he did fix his mistake, so I will buy from him again.

Last edited by Kirakishou7 : 09-28-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:21 AM   #1402
4ng31
meh.

Name of Commissioner: LimeBarb

Website/C.com gallery: www.limebarb.com

Character commissioned and series: Originally Kuja (FFIX), was returned and had them make Izanagi (P4) instead.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/161383/

Timeline: Re-Order placed late May/early June, received the costume on July 17th.

Pros: As with all my Barb costumes, the fit is perfect. Jacket and pants were made from quality material as well.

Cons: Okay...

Originally I contacted her about having a Kuja costume from FF9 done...this was sometime last year I believe. The costume was finished and sent to me...it was...a disaster in my opinion. I wrote back expressing my dislike for basically all of it (the costume was very rushed...just, not good overall), and how to settle it. After a few e-mails, we came to the agreement that I would send it back, and she would make me another costume equal to the value of this one plus 100 refund. I asked if she would personally do the construction on this one, as I believe the last was rushed by someone under her. She agreed and we exchanged some more e-mails back and fourth about cons and such.

Comments: Through-out the "remake" process, we exchanged a few e-mails discussing upcoming conventions and such. She has always been very professional with me, and that's something I respect. The Izanagi costume fits perfect...this is something LimeBarb does excellent...fitment. The coat and pants both use a quality fabric choice, and the colors they chose are good. The trim is a little interesting, but it's also fairly confusing in the art, so it's understandable. the zipper had to have a few stitches added back to the top of it, but a very minor and easy fix (which is something I've learned over the years...there's always something I'm gonna wanna change/fix from commissions).

Final Grade: B
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:01 AM   #1403
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #1404
amariel
Lady in Waiting

Name of Merchant: Catzia's Collectibles (purchase through ebay store)

Website: http://stores.shop.ebay.com.my/Catzi...asiZ1QQ_sopZ10

Item purchased (please include quantity): 3 Tiaras (1 Sailor Venus Amber Smooth Gem tiara, 1 Sailor Mars Red Smooth Gem tiara and 1 Sailor Jupiter Smooth Gem tiara)

Links to picture(s) of your received item: No picture available

Timeline: Approximately 1-1.5 weeks. I made the order before going on a two week vacation and it arrived before I got back. (I should add this was international to Canada.)

Describe your Experience: It was a very good experience overall. I ordered three tiaras at once (one for me and one each for two friends) to save on shipping, which I believe proved wise. Most communication was prompt, with speedy replies. There was one problem at the time of buying, there was no listing for a green smooth gem tiara on ebay. Seller agreed to allow me to superficially purchase a faceted green tiara on ebay and then mail the smooth one instead. Furthermore the seller called (at my request)and discussed this option and others. Overall very accomodating and a pleasure to deal with. Everything arrived as exactly pictured, and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone interested in their products.

As an aside: it would likely have been easier to use their website to avoid the possible confusion of receiving the wrong tiara, however, I wanted the buyer protection offered by eBay.

Final Grade: A+

Last edited by amariel : 09-29-2009 at 09:56 PM.
amariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #1405
Mimiru1618

Has anyone ever gotten a commission from FilthyWarumono before? They have a myspace and geocities place but...I'm afraid to accept them because I don't want to be scammed...anyone heard of them before?
Mimiru1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #1406
SeraphimWolf
Pypo Lygac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimiru1618 View Post
Has anyone ever gotten a commission from FilthyWarumono before? They have a myspace and geocities place but...I'm afraid to accept them because I don't want to be scammed...anyone heard of them before?
I am wondering that too. My sister is looking to get a blindfold and gloves made, but I dont want her to get scammed. I tried looking in the "commissioners not to go to thread" but so far I had no luck. I have also been searching this thread with no luck.

Halibel (Bleach)=100%
Catherine (Catherine) = 100%
Lightning Farron (FF13) =68%
http://www.youtube.com/user/kawaiiamara?feature=mhw5
http://yukigirlygirl.deviantart.com/

Last edited by SeraphimWolf : 09-30-2009 at 10:45 AM.
SeraphimWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #1407
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated <3
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #1408
xichigo

Has anyone ordered from milanoo yet? I mean their site is a main ad that's advertised ON cosplay.com right now.

Last edited by xichigo : 10-05-2009 at 09:20 AM.
xichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #1409
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xichigo View Post
Has anyone ordered from **SPAM BAN** yet? I mean their site is a main ad that's advertised ON cosplay.com right now.
Ironic, considering they're also spambanned.

Aaand another Merchant Review for me!

Name of Merchant: laurawu_123 (ebay)
Item purchased: Light pink ponytail extension clip.
Links to picture(s) of your received item: EDIT 11/10: Here ya go: http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...gpractice2.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...gpractice3.jpg
Timeline (how long your order took to process): Ordered on September 19th, item shipped on the 21st, and arrived on the 30th. So about 2 business weeks?
Describe your Experience: Was a little wary of what I would receive as I know some people have had issues with not getting what was pictured, but it was on sale and shipping was free so I went for it.

All notifications for payment, shipping etc. were received promptly, and for an overseas seller shipping was actually pretty darn fast- only 2 business weeks, really.

Went to pick up the week's mail today and got it. The way it's packaged is sorta like it's rolled up in its packaging, but it's in a hairnet and nothing was really tangled apart from strands catching in the teeth of the comb clip, which is sorta expected. A quick brush-out and it was ready! The fiber is very soft and doesn't tangle badly at all. The color and everything was just as pictured.

A warning for those ordering it to match Cosworx's Light Pink color- Cosworx's Pink is SLIGHTLY more yellowy in hue and this Light Pink (which I've noticed seems to be the standard for all Japanese and Hong Kong light pink wigs, or so it seems to me) which has a SLIGHTLY more purpley hue to it. It's not noticeable unless you look really close though, it's really just a brand difference.

Final Grade: A+! Didn't have any issues, and the product is very nice. I would order from them again.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA

Last edited by Kitsoru : 11-10-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #1410
XMoonLilyX

Name of Commissioner: Dizzy Lizzy
Website/C.com gallery: http://lizzy.agentsofcosplay.com/
Character commissioned and series/video game: Wocky Kitaki - Apollo Justice (Wig) http://www.court-records.net/arts/ar...rtofgs-456.jpg
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://lizzy.agentsofcosplay.com/gal...on/wigs/wocky/
Timeline (how long your order took to process): Paid first installment Early June, recieved the wig early October (today actually)

Pros: Well first of all she had excellent communication skills, even though apparently she was having computer issues, she still kept me more informed than most commissioners I've previously dealt with. She also allows you to have creative input, which is excellent because it allows you to feel a bit more in control, such as picking out wig colours and specifications etc. Most importantly though is that she's very friendly and a pleasure to deal with! As well as this her work is wonderful, I went to Lizzy because I was worried about commissioning such a...complex...piece, but I could tell from her previous work that she would be able to do a good job with it - and i'm delighted with the finished product! ^_^

Cons: Can't think of any!

Final Grade: A+ Will defo commission from again if I have any more challenging/scary projects! :P
XMoonLilyX is offline   Reply With Quote