Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #301
SushiKai
Der Kommissars in Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodthirstking View Post
Here's a question for y'all. I'm going back and forth between D.E. costumes, and I may or may not fall back on a Warrior or Mandrake, though a Homunculus is what I would LIKE to do.

What do you guys think about modding bat-man gloves to get the right spikes on the gauntlets? I figured they would make good base patterns to use, since they run on a similar design.
this is a slow moving thread, not really known for it's fast responses, i mean you've posted the question only earlier today...

supplying some pics of the gloves might help too? i've got no clue what they look like so i couldn't really comment one way or the other.
you should also consider the obscurus crusade forum we've got, it's growing pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitdirty View Post
Newbie to the site, but I've been waiting for the longest time to post in this thread. I wanted to work on a 40k themed project this year, with the caveat that it's gotta be something that looks good on a heavier guy like me. Also figured that since Inquisitors and the like seem to be the idea of choice for the majority of 40k themed costumes these days, I thought I'd try my hand at doing something Chaos related. Ended up doing a modified cultist type of outfit, which I think ended up being a pretty decent "Herald of Chaos."

Front with chainswords.

Rear with bolt pistol and banner.

Seeing the absolutely amazing work so many people have done in this thread (especially on all the Sororitas outfits) I still feel that my own work is a bit lacking in the details, but I think at this point it's about as done as it's going to get before Halloween!
i'd love to see some detail shots of the bolt pistol and chainsword on their own, or perhaps the book, you've got alot of detail your not showing

all and all, i'd say awesome work, but here are the a few things i noticed that could make an impact.
firstly, your robe, the big crease on it, along your knee height, it detract the eyes a ton, i keep looking straight at it, large black space with a crease will draw peoples eyes into the space.
my suggestion, either try and get rid of the crease (iron the back perhaps? i don't know about the material your using) or crease up the whole robe so you can't see the crease on its own.

the second is weathering, your stuff looks very detailed but brand new, compare the rubber skull on your back to the brass ones on the chainsword.
there's no detail brought out on the brass ones, they look shiny new, some black in the cracks and eye sockets would really improve that, infact if you do repaint some of your props (when you have the time) it will look alot better if you paint it all black first and then "drybrush" the stuff with the colors you plan to use, it's a great trick for bringing out detail on miniatures, and you should try the same technique.

i really like your frayed bandage look on your hands and wrists, can you fray up some of the edges of your robe to match that?
the more dirty, scummy, evil chaos cultist you look the better.
just like how you've done on the back banner, it looks the part.

this is a great costume your working on, i hope you take it further than just Halloween

wanna make a Bolt pistol Prop? check out www.bolter.blog.com

Last edited by SushiKai : 10-28-2009 at 12:21 AM.
SushiKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #302
SvK

I have made a NEW THREAD that is more organized, with links to tutorials and costumes in a head post that I will keep updating. Please continue the discussion of Warhammer 40,000 costumes there.

SvK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #303
SushiKai
Der Kommissars in Town

nicely organized, but do we really have to ditch this thread? i like this one, it's like archeotech

Unread 10-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #304
SvK

Clinging to the past is why the Imperium has not advanced in 10,000 years.
SvK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #305
Vividwings
Warhammer Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvK View Post
*pulls out bolt pistol* HERESY AND TREASON!

Check out the new Warhammer 40K cosplay forum, Obscurus Crusade! http://z6.invisionfree.com/Obscurus_...ex.php?act=idx
Vividwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #306
SushiKai
Der Kommissars in Town

Quote:
... and your point is...?
the Imperium is perfect, why change perfection?
(oh, irony, how i love you)

Unread 10-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #307
FaithDuty

Quote:
What materials and techniques have you used for the rest of your armor?
Right, for the armour it is a wire framework with fabric streched over, and foam for the legs, however for the more advanced pieces like the backpack I have tried to use cardboard, which is not working, what would you suggest?
FaithDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #308
SushiKai
Der Kommissars in Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithDuty View Post
Right, for the armour it is a wire framework with fabric streched over, and foam for the legs, however for the more advanced pieces like the backpack I have tried to use cardboard, which is not working, what would you suggest?

for the sister armor i used sintra, its this thick hard expanded pvc foam, glues very well.
you could use a light thin wood, or sheet styrene instead though.