Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 12-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Furilas
Exploitable Text Field

Magus Wig or The Widow's Peak from Hell

So, the girlfriend turned me onto this cosplaying thing, and I'm breaking the ice with a Magus (from Square's well-aged classic, Chrono Trigger) cosplay. Being new to this, I have a few questions about getting a suitable wig or modding one to be suitable. Specifically:
  • Is there a particular style I could start with that would make the styling/modding job easier?
  • Any ideas as to how to implement the epic widow's peak convincingly?

Ref images attached. People already familiar with the character may already appreciate the task of that widow's peak. My girlfriend has graciously consented to do the styling, but she'd like me to mention that she's no professional. Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magus1.jpg (41.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg magus_2.jpg (98.4 KB, 0 views)
Furilas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #2
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

I suggest browsing the various Axel (Kingdom Hearts) topics for tutorials and suggestions on how to do a widow's peak.

The way I do it, I buy two base wigs that each have a large skin top (e.g., the Ashley 850 by New Look wigs, sold at cosworx), cut up the skin top on the second wig and sew it to the base wig to create the protruding parts. Others use extension fiber and felt instead of a second wig. The most perfect way to do it would be a hand-tied lace front, but that's an awful lot of work for a cosplay (as opposed to a stage or movie costume, for example.)

Magus has a really extreme widow's peak, so unless maybe you have a receding hairline yourself (or wouldn't mind shaving your head), you'll also want to look into bald caps to wear underneath the wig or build into the wig.

You'll also want to look into wig dye (sticky threads on the forums) since this looks like a custom color. I'd get a white base wig (or two, depending on the method you're using to create the widow's peak) and dye it a nice powder blue.

Good luck with your costume, Magus rocks! ^o^
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Sooo I'll be out with it, I'm the girlfriend in question offering to style this epic wig, and I figured I may as well ask myself since I'm a bit more familiar with the terminology. The dyeing job looks more than doable since I've done a colour close to it before, and while most of the tutorials mentioned for Axel wig widows peaks made sense, I've still got a few questions/trivialities.
First off, the sewing skintop in place of felt looks interesting, but how do you actually go about attaching one that doesn't show insanely obvious?
And if I skip on that method and go with the felt and extensions, getting matching/suitable extensions may be a problem since a lot of places I know of don't ship to Canada. I also thought, since the widow's peak is so extreme, is it possible to cut out a portion of the wefts in the front to both exaggerate it a bit more and use the cut-out wefts as extension fiber?

Bleck. I might as well call myself a noob. This'll only be the fifth wig I've ever done.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

You just sew the skin top pieces together by hand, no one will notice since that part of a wig is really thick (if you use a good wig at least), and because you'll be brushing the hair back anyway, so it will conceal the seam. The edges of the cut-up skin top can be lined with a couple of wefts if necessary (like when you sew a weft to the bottom of a wig when you make an updo and want to hide the bald spots in the back.) Rip the wefts off of the second wig (or make them yourself), you do not want to thin out your base wig for this.

As for the color, you'll be dyeing the wig(s) anyway, so regular snow white fiber should be enough, even if you have a wig in silvery white (60.) Or you could use Katie Bair's ordering service to buy Amphigory's extensions in 60 (they're the only store I know that sells this color at a reasonable price.) Her international shipping is really cheap, but you might have to wait a month or two for your order to ship.
Unread 12-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Sounds decent...how about the question I had there if you can cut wefts out of a wig to exaggerate a widow's peak? All the cosworx wigs I've seen (and the one I own) have plenty of wefts, I just don't know how much the structural integrity would be compromised/if it would still work like a wig should. Figuring out if I can do that or not's pretty much going to be the deciding factor in how to put the thing together.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Like I said,
Quote:
you do not want to thin out your base wig for this.
I wouldn't rip any wefts off of your base wig, especially not if it's such a light (=see-through) color AND meant to be worn by a man (men usually have larger heads than the average woman, so the wig will be stretched to the max, widening the gaps between the wefts in the back.)

A wig doesn't lose its structural integrity when you rip off some wefts, however, as long as you don't leave any huge gaps (like, ripping off five or so wefts right next to each other, instead of ripping off a weft here and there.) The wig will still hold together, it'll just be thinner and maybe have a couple of bald spots in the back^^;
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Ahh, I see. I was thinking that if it were possible, I'd take one or two off the front edge/where it goes over your forehead. Nothing drastic. And my head's quite large with long hair and still manages to fit into the average wig, so I don't think size will be an issue. (If it is, I've also heard you can sew some extra elastic in to let it stretch more):P
Oh, if I sew a skintop portion on for the widow's peak, what kind of thread should I use to make sure it'll hold on strong as possible?
Unread 12-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Vexation
make you feel alright.

Every time i've done widow's peaks (Making it sound like I've done it a lot. Only twice, really, haha. <<) I've just used regular thread that matches the color of the wig itself. Here I am, really wishing I'd done that tutorial for my Ansem wig like I'd meant to. <<;

March: MOMOCON
pizzazz|jemandtheholograms|, nikki sixx|motleycrue:theaterofpain|, the warden|superjail|, rainbow dash|mlp:fim|
currentproject:
the warden

there's a bullet in the chamber & this is gonna hurt

You're so far in the closet,
you're in Narnia!
Vexation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Necroing my own thread, because I have one question- I've been scouring the forum for a good three days and found no clue as to what wig I should start with as a base wig. The trick is that it's long (to about mid-back), will inevitably be straight by the time it's done, needs a skintop and will be swept straight back. I was thinking of the Ashley 850, but every shot I saw of it made it look too side-parted or puffy to make much of a judgement.
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Ther Ashley 850 is an excellent choice, trust me ^.^ Or the Alice's Dream if you're thinking of ordering from Amphigory (it's a tad thicker and slightly better quality.) Both wigs have a large skin top, which makes them extremely versatile (the part therefore changes from photo to photo, depending on how it's been styled.)

You will have to style it with tons of hairspray to make it swept back permanently and keep the hair from falling into your face (after you've dyed it, of course), but that's true for any wig.
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I can't order from Amphigory since they don't ship to Canada, so looks like it'll be the Ashley. Thanks a ton! Hopefully the Wig Gods smile upon me when I go to do the wig. O.o
Unread 02-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

You should buy some extensions from Cosworxs while your at it just in case.

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm getting two wigs and ripping one up for the skintop widow's peak/extensions, so I think I'll be fine there.