Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #361
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

<--- lives in Texarkana (like 3 hrs from Dallas)

Hello all! Just thought I'd put my name on the list. I was wondering if someone could tell me what to expect at A-kon? It will be my first con, and I'm a bit nervous. Like how huge is it, how likely is it to be glomped, etc.

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #362
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

A-kon is a little less than 20,000 people I believe. I've never been glomped there, BUT I have been hit on by some creepy guys. Lol. I think it all depends on what you wear, who you are, etc, etc.

Officer Jenny ---> 80%
Thearah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #363
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

That's cool! I'm really excited. Are there any other cons near my area that I should consider trying to get to? I'm thinking about start with 2 a year, one in summer, one in winter. Any thoughts?

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #364
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

There are cons ALL OVER Texas. No lie.

Animefest (Dallas), A-kon (Dallas), Ikkicon (Austin), Oni-con (Houston), Anime Matsuri (Woodlands, near Houston), San Japan (San Antonio), and that's just TIPPING the Iceberg. Honestly there are tons and tons in Texas. It's kinda scary, actually. Lol.

Officer Jenny ---> 80%
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #365
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

Which ones are in the winter? And which one would you suggest? My husband and I are new at the whole con thing.

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #366
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

I've heard TREMENDOUS things about Animefest. I believe it's always on Labor Day weekend. Personally, I've never been able to go cause it was bad timing. xD It's a four day long con. :3

I love A-kon. It was my first con, and while it can be a tad overwhelming, it's tons of fun.

Ikkicon JUST happened this last weekend. I had never been before. I really wasn't impressed with the con itself, but the people that I met were AWESOME. It was just boring as a con. The panels weren't very good, and the dealer's room and artist alley were TINY.

Oni-con (it was over Halloween weekned) was a TOTAL let down. It was terribly organized, in a ver small and cramped location, and I was unimpressed. Again tho, I like the people that I met. :3

I've never been to Anime Matsuri, but I'm going this year. I believe that it is in April. I've seen pictures of it's location, and IT IS GORGEOUS.

San Japan was in August '09, but the moved it to July for 2010. It was FANTASTICALLY RUN. The con went so smoothly, it was scary. Lol. Every staffer was nice and knew where everything was. xD

I know there's a Yulecon in Ft. Worth in the Winter, but I've never been. It's kind Christmas themed. :3 But jsut ask around. I know there are prolly more that I've never even heard of. xD

Officer Jenny ---> 80%
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #367
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

Awesome! I'm looking forward to it. Will I see you at A-kon?

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 01-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #368
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

I will be there. :3 I know that I'm taking my Fran (FFXII).

Officer Jenny ---> 80%
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #369
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

That rocks. I'll be Terra, and I'll have a Kefka with me, so if you see me, come say Hi, Okay? ^.^

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 01-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #370
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

I will totally do that. And I'll bring my sister-in-law along. FFVI is her favorite. xD

Officer Jenny ---> 80%
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #371
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

I am always happy to talk Final Fantasy with people. But you know, I have a question... You've seen other Terra cosplayers, haven't you?

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #372
Shadowimage
Gaming Fiend

I love A-kon. It was my first con, and while it can be a tad overwhelming, it's tons of fun.

Ikkicon JUST happened this last weekend. I had never been before. I really wasn't impressed with the con itself, but the people that I met were AWESOME. It was just boring as a con. The panels weren't very good, and the dealer's room and artist alley were TINY.

I've never been to Anime Matsuri, but I'm going this year. I believe that it is in April. I've seen pictures of it's location, and IT IS GORGEOUS.

Sorry just had to jump in here!!

Looking forward to A-kon, I haven't gone but I hear nothing but good things so i can't wait!!

Your right about Ikkicon, that was my first time going as well. They didn't have much going on and what they did have was lack luster at best....I was expecting more....-_-! But the people made up for a good amount of what was as you said a rather boring con, it was mosly just people laying and sitting around the hotel in costume they should of had more events...better luck next year I guess.

I went to Anime Matsuri last year with my very first costume, it was a small con but the dealer room was big and they had more stuff going on like DDR arcade machines and what not more events and a concert (Of course and didn't find the act all that appealing) However they weren't very well prepared the cosplay contest was delayed by an hour and a half due to techincal probs whihc kept occuring throughout the contest...audio went in and out was off cue and such....ugh..not to mention the other delay just before the concert wherre they could figure out how to set up the camera let alone get them to work and agin sound issues. Despite the tech malfunctions it was a very enjoyable con but I'm debating still on whether or not I will go this year not sure about work shedule and not sure if i want to drive down there or not.
Shadowimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #373
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Shadow: Eh, it happens. Gotta love those little gremlins and such in the systems. ^.^;;; So you're coming to A-kon too? What costumes are you gonna show us???

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #374
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowimage View Post

Sorry just had to jump in here!!

Looking forward to A-kon, I haven't gone but I hear nothing but good things so i can't wait!!

Your right about Ikkicon, that was my first time going as well. They didn't have much going on and what they did have was lack luster at best....I was expecting more....-_-! But the people made up for a good amount of what was as you said a rather boring con, it was mosly just people laying and sitting around the hotel in costume they should of had more events...better luck next year I guess.

I went to Anime Matsuri last year with my very first costume, it was a small con but the dealer room was big and they had more stuff going on like DDR arcade machines and what not more events and a concert (Of course and didn't find the act all that appealing) However they weren't very well prepared the cosplay contest was delayed by an hour and a half due to techincal probs whihc kept occuring throughout the contest...audio went in and out was off cue and such....ugh..not to mention the other delay just before the concert wherre they could figure out how to set up the camera let alone get them to work and agin sound issues. Despite the tech malfunctions it was a very enjoyable con but I'm debating still on whether or not I will go this year not sure about work shedule and not sure if i want to drive down there or not.

A-kon is a blast, and if you wear your Fierce Diety Link (which, btw, WAS FANTASTIC. I wish I had had my camera on me. ;_, you'd be a great hit. Lol. A-kon CAN be disorganized at times, but I think that it's because it's so freaking big and there are so many people loose.

I heard about the probs at Matsuri, but I heard that it was still a good con, so I want to go. :3 I hope it turns out good.

Officer Jenny ---> 80%
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #375
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Thearah: I think it's going to be awesome to the max. But I'm having an issue with my costume. You've seen other Terra cosplayers right? How the heck do they get the patterns right on the dress???

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%