Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Crit Week Crit! (pre-crit me for a final?)

I'm doing a cosplay photography project for my Photo Final at school and just finished processing my first batch of photos- could I get some opinions on these?

These are being re-corrected for print, so currently they're just adjusted for screen. One of my concerns is that they're still a little too dark- I wanted them to be sort of dark and grungy, but I had my screen set to 'BLINDING' when I uploaded them, and have gone back and re-edited from the raws to lighten them up. Yey/nay?

Here's 4 samples from each location I was at (and then one closeup for variety):
http://kitsoru-san.deviantart.com/ar...o-01-145951397
http://kitsoru-san.deviantart.com/ar...o-02-145952199
http://kitsoru-san.deviantart.com/ar...o-03-145952940
http://kitsoru-san.deviantart.com/ar...o-04-145953518

Forgive the crap-res I resized them to for online stuff.

EDIT: Crit's been done (thanks for all the help!), but still feel free to comment, lol >__>
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA

Last edited by Kitsoru : 01-02-2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: /crit over
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
ElegantEdge

I love the first one! The quality is excellent, and you really have a great costume as well.
ElegantEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantEdge View Post
I love the first one! The quality is excellent, and you really have a great costume as well.
I'm not the cosplayer, I'm the photographer... but thanks XD
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
FiveRings

It's just a pet peeve of mine, but in most cases, I like vertical and horizontal lines to be perfectly vertical or horizontal unless you purposely meant to skew an angle shot. So 1,2, and 4 could be slightly straightened. Like I said, personal pet peeve, so probably not a big deal.

Another pet peeve is cutting off feet/toes/hands/limbs. In 1, it doesn't detract from the picture because her hand is in her pocket anyways. I noticed it in 3, but again, that's just me.

3 and 4 look a tad underexposed because you're losing detail in the hair and the face is harder to see. It's probably not a big deal because your focus isn't on that area anyways, though in 4, the sword hilt probably loses some detail.

Nice compositions though. I don't know the series so I don't know how appropriate the setting is, but that should be considered as well.

Good luck with your photo project and hope to see more soon!
FiveRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveRings View Post
It's just a pet peeve of mine, but in most cases, I like vertical and horizontal lines to be perfectly vertical or horizontal unless you purposely meant to skew an angle shot. So 1,2, and 4 could be slightly straightened. Like I said, personal pet peeve, so probably not a big deal.

Another pet peeve is cutting off feet/toes/hands/limbs. In 1, it doesn't detract from the picture because her hand is in her pocket anyways. I noticed it in 3, but again, that's just me.

3 and 4 look a tad underexposed because you're losing detail in the hair and the face is harder to see. It's probably not a big deal because your focus isn't on that area anyways, though in 4, the sword hilt probably loses some detail.

Nice compositions though. I don't know the series so I don't know how appropriate the setting is, but that should be considered as well.

Good luck with your photo project and hope to see more soon!
Yeah, I see what you mean about the angling... most obviously in 1 but 2 and 4 could use the slight tweaking.

The exposure is what I'm most worried about XD; I wasn't able to grab a light meter, so I had to basically guess with my exposures and take a wide range just-in-case. I think I can adjust it some more in the Camera Raw plugin and see if it isn't too grainy when I artificially boost the exposure.

Thanks!
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Unread 12-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
xturntofade

1.I think the composition is a little weak here. First, the cut off hand... I don’t mind cut off limbs if they’re done right but in this case I just keep looking for the hand. I also think that the light in the background is distracting. You could have used that to your advantage (ex. backlighting) but in this case, I just keep looking at the light rather than the cosplayer. I also feel that the photo looks very cramped. The pose may have been powerful but you can’t really see much of the cosplayer. Also…minor minor thing but the wrinkle in the sleeve is really bugging me. It kind of looks like someone badly photoshopped the arm back together xD

2.A lot better. I think this is the best one of the bunch. Nice lighting. The effect with the shadow in the background is nice. Also the upwards angle complements the dramatic pose. One thing you could have done is shifted the camera so that the cosplayer was a little more to the right and there was a little more space between the door and the frame of the photo (assuming you had space to do this). Have you studied the rule of thirds? Still, definitely a neat photo!!

3.Cool angle. I like how you made the background slope. A few things to notice though…the sign sticking out of his head? Again…the bright light. Also, it would have been nice if you could have used a fill in flash or reflector since his face is dark. Still pretty nice. I have issues with the cut off knee though. And again, I’m going to say this looks cramped.

4.This is an example where I don’t really mind the cut off limbs as much. The lighting on his face is neat. However, bright light in the background sticking out of his head again T____T I love the shadows and the texture of his shirt.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of camera are you using? Hope you find what I said helpful & you don't think I was too harsh x___X Good luck with your project & You should keep posting photos!
Raver Miku from Black Rock Shooter [80%]
Mio from K-ON! [0%]
Lenalee from D. Gray-man [0%]

P H O T O S
http://flickr.com/photos/eisaykela
PM me to schedule a private shoot.
xturntofade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xturntofade View Post
1.I think the composition is a little weak here. First, the cut off hand... I don’t mind cut off limbs if they’re done right but in this case I just keep looking for the hand. I also think that the light in the background is distracting. You could have used that to your advantage (ex. backlighting) but in this case, I just keep looking at the light rather than the cosplayer. I also feel that the photo looks very cramped. The pose may have been powerful but you can’t really see much of the cosplayer. Also…minor minor thing but the wrinkle in the sleeve is really bugging me. It kind of looks like someone badly photoshopped the arm back together xD

2.A lot better. I think this is the best one of the bunch. Nice lighting. The effect with the shadow in the background is nice. Also the upwards angle complements the dramatic pose. One thing you could have done is shifted the camera so that the cosplayer was a little more to the right and there was a little more space between the door and the frame of the photo (assuming you had space to do this). Have you studied the rule of thirds? Still, definitely a neat photo!!

3.Cool angle. I like how you made the background slope. A few things to notice though…the sign sticking out of his head? Again…the bright light. Also, it would have been nice if you could have used a fill in flash or reflector since his face is dark. Still pretty nice. I have issues with the cut off knee though. And again, I’m going to say this looks cramped.

4.This is an example where I don’t really mind the cut off limbs as much. The lighting on his face is neat. However, bright light in the background sticking out of his head again T____T I love the shadows and the texture of his shirt.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of camera are you using? Hope you find what I said helpful & you don't think I was too harsh x___X Good luck with your project & You should keep posting photos!
The cutting off of limbs and stuff is definitely something bothering me, too, that I'll be watching for in the future XD; I think my composition is what I have to work on the most, as far as getting things in the shot the way I want them, not cut off or tilted or anything. Thanks for the crit!

I'm using a Canon 30D, with no lighting kit. It's a school rental- I'm not a photo major so I've been mostly dabbling and don't have my own DSLR ^^; I really like this one a lot, though. I'd probably buy one if I ever did end up getting a DSLR.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Unread 01-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

the last one isn't necessiarily too hard if you just desat and push the contrast... all about how you treat it.

my 2 cents =)

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
HM Neko

Your pics look great good work.
HM Neko is offline   Reply With Quote