Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Ah_Young

Film Critique

I took a few pictures of my friends at a gathering. The camera I used was a realllly old film camera, Olympus OM-4. Also I forgot my glasses that day so the focusing might be kinda off ><;
Pics:
http://ahyoung.deviantart.com/art/Relaxing-150348110
http://ahyoung.deviantart.com/art/Close-Up-150348245
http://ahyoung.deviantart.com/art/Thinking-150348366
http://ahyoung.deviantart.com/art/Yes-150348950

Critique on any of them is much appreciated
Thank you!
Ah_Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
SpookyElectric
Vanship Pilot

Ooh. Film. I've been playing with the stuff a bit in the past year. I kinda missed it.

First shot is pretty boring. And I don't know that the contrasty nature of the film used suits the picture overall.

Second shot is nice. The level of fill light makes for a relaxed feel - what I think you wanted in the first shot. Colors work interestingly together (I'm on the fence whether I like the green vs pink or not...). The misfocusing does detract a bit though.

Third shot works very well the contrast of the film. My favorite of the set. If I were to change anything, maybe adjust the framing a bit? Aim a little higher and a little to the left (or right?) ::shrug::

Fourth shot is pretty decent too. I'd clone out the person in the background. (I cheat, even with film, just less)
SpookyElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
limberjack
Mostly harmless

I'm not missing film at all, partly for reasons evident in these shots. With a dSLR and some patience I can review each shot after I take it, examine the composition and the exposure histogram, and tweak, tweak, tweak till I'm happier with it.

You got better results in terms of exposure/etc. than I believe I'd get out of film, so good job! Your subjects are generally just standing there, so these feel more like just snapshots than pictures that a random viewer will feel engaged by.

Some non-pro impressions:
- Relaxing: Highlights blown out, and taken too far away for such a passive pose. I'd like to be in close to see their face, rather than spend so much picture area on surroundings that don't add to the shot.
- Close-up: Nice to be in close and really see the eyes and face like this. A more interesting expression, and perhaps a bit more of the upper body, would add to it.
- Thinking: Best lighting contrast of the set and good distance from the subject. They're not emoting much, nor is the background really contributing, so it's a good shot from the perspective of camera settings but less so in terms of impact on the viewer.
- Yes: Cool outfit, good setting. Wooden pose. Shallower depth of field would help. I'd again suggest considering coming in closer to capture the face/upper body and sacrifice showing the shoes. Not much detail visible in the outfit. Not to get too fancy, but a reflector (which can be as simple as a white piece of cardboard) would help here to bounce some of that sunlight from off to either side and bring out detail.

Hope some of the ideas help - good luck!
limberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
broken_rei_134
Look For Me At Sakura-con

I love the scenery on #1 & #4 I wish there were gorgeous spots like that to take pictures where I live.
broken_rei_134 is offline   Reply With Quote