Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photographer's Marketplace

Closed Thread
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
eebanee
HURRR DUUUR

Looking For; Handy Con Camera?

So, I as thinking of getting myself a (Better) camera soon, and I'm looking for suggestions.

I would like something that takes nice pictures, with out much tinkering involved (On the go photos).
I would also like something smaller, Ill be caring it around at a con while in costume, be awkward to have something big (Also don't want it to be too fancy that someone would want to steal it ^_^; Though that can't always be avoided).

My budget would be a max 350$ I know the best brands to look for are Canon and Nikon, maybe fuji and Sony.

Suggestions are appreciated! =]

Unread 01-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
KyleMistry

If one has the camera on their person, having it stolen shouldn't be too much of a worry. Best to use a wrist strap too.

As far as the $350 limit goes, that's going to hinder you a bit. Let's see what I can recommend as far as point-and-shoots go...

If you can push that budget a bit, go with a Canon S90. It's a prime point-and-shoot, and to be honest I can't think of one better. If I had the money, I'd have one of these for times when I wouldn't be able to have my SLR with me.

If that doesn't work, there's also the Canon SX200 IS. I've used this camera once before, at a KISS concert when security told me I couldn't use my SLR-- very different conditions to a convention, but I assure you it's damn sharp and a good size if one needs a good, compact camera. It's no S90, but it'll still do the job well.

Whatever one decides on, they should learn how to use the manual settings for shooting instead of relying on Auto. It'll result in much better photos if you have the patience for it, and it'll be good to know those things should one ever upgrade to a better camera like an SLR.

Last edited by KyleMistry : 01-21-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Unread 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
FiveRings

I really like the Canon G-series (G9/10/11) because they run the border between SLR and Point&Shoot. They offer most of the features of an SLR minus the interchangeable lenses with a great manual mode in a relatively compact body.
Unread 01-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
sklathill
Evident Maniac

For 350 bucks, it's actually possible to get a DSLR camera kit. Used. From keh.com.

Maybe not Nikon or Canon stuff (the cheapest used Rebel DSLR kit with 18-55 lens is currently 420 before shipping) but you can get a Pentax K110D (from about 3 years ago) with kit zoom for 275. Or an Olympus E-420 (about 1-2 years old) with kit zoom for 320.

They're not canon or nikon, and they're not the newest, but they'll still provide you excellent image quality that will beat any point and shoot. More importantly, they're still relevant. They'll still put in front of you all the basics of controlling exposure and focus and the ability to expand with flashes and lenses in the future. Also, I really like Keh since they have a no questions asked return policy. I've had to return stuff in the past, just because it ended up not being the tool for me, and it's always been hassle free. No restocking fee either...
Freelance freelancer: music composing, writing, photographing, and gaming for slightly less than an eternity...
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82941
Closed Thread