Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 298 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-27-2010, 04:45 AM   #226
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Photo Studio Guide: Country / Manor Setting

*information in this article is current as of 2009 ~ please check websites for the most recent information. Prices, locations and regulations may have changed since this magazine was published.

Guggenheim House

Area: Kobe
Address: 655-0872 神戸市垂水区塩屋町3丁目5-17
TEL: 078-220-3924
Hours: 9:00~22:00
Pricing: 4,000~12,000 / hr

http://www.geocities.jp/shioyag/

A seaside mansion in the west of Kobe

This colonial-style wood mansion was build in 1909 and has 5 arch-verandas on the first and second floors. It's sparsely furnished but has lovely, expensive-looking woodwork everywhere, all original one-of-a-kind pieces. The swan-neck staircase is a particularly beautiful design by A.N. Hansel. Noteable photo spots are the aforementioned staircase, fireplaces, a grand piano and the sprawling front yard.

"It isn't quite as big as I had expected, but you can invite 20 people at once with no problems! The staircase, fireplaces and the windows are all gorgeous colors that really pop in photos."

Edosaki Nougyouen Potiron no Mori

Area: Ibaraki
Address: 茨城県稲敷市上君山2060-1
TEL: 029-892-3911
Hours: 9:00~17:00
Pricing: entrance fee for adults 1,000 yen, for children 500 yen

http://www.potiron-no-mori.com/

A pastoral paradise with flowers in bloom year-round

This European-style farming village is surrounded by nature. With cute cobblestone streets and quaint buildings, this spot is quite popular with Layers. Each season has flowers planted to bloom too! The town is divided into 8 cutely-named areas.

*no erotic or grotesque pictures or costumes
*no weapons

Cocofuri ZAIM Studio

Area: Yokohama
Address: 横浜市中区日本大通34 ZAIM
TEL: 045-721-6262
Hours: 11:00~17:00
Pricing: 10,000~15,000 /6 hrs

http://cocofuri.net/studio/index.html

A small, hidden away studio to enjoy

Cocofuri opened in May of 2009 with the aim of providing Layers with a clean, quality spot to take photos. The studio specialized in "real" props. One room has a real red-brick wall reminiscent of Yokohama's famous akarenga building made from real salvaged historical bricks. With other authentic props and goods scattered about, it feels a bit like an attic full of treasures. You won't get any "fake" shots here.

(continued in the next post)

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 02-28-2010 at 03:48 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #227
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Photo Studio Guide: Country / Manor Setting part 2

*information in this article is current as of 2009 ~ please check websites for the most recent information. Prices, locations and regulations may have changed since this magazine was published.

Studio Ease Kinuta 2st Rich

Area: Tokyo
Address: map
TEL: 03-5759-8283
Hours: 9:00~20:00
Pricing: 22,050~26,460 / hr (3 hours minimum)

http://www.iziz.co.jp/studio/kinuta2.html

This former factory is now a photo spot

One room in this popular Western-style building is furnished with all you'd expect of "Europe". Tall windows, Grecian pillars, a decorative staircase to the loft, tiled walls, blue doors and all sorts of other interesting features make for impressive, transporting photos. The rental fee is a bit steep, but you can get 10% off your next visit.

*cos-a vol. 1

Last edited by kiratsukai : 02-28-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Unread 02-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #228
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Photo Studio Guide: Amusement Parks

Toshimaen

Area: Tokyo
Address: 東京都練馬区向山 3-25-1
TEL: 03-3990-8800
Hours: 10:00~17:00
Pricing: To attend in costume you must participate in "JCFinとしまえん" Check out their website for more information.

http://www.toshimaen.co.jp/index.html

This popular spot has tons of photo ops

Toshimaen has a long history ~ it's been open since Taisho 15 (that's 83 years!) There are lots of things to do inside for couples, families and friends. The park has also been hosting cosplay events for 10 years! Lots of Layers participate. Check out the "おすすめの情報" section of their website for more information about JCF events.

There are lots of spots to take photos ~ a merry-go-round, a haunted house, Western buildings, flower arrangements...

"I really like using the Western buildings as backdrops when I wear a big dress."

(No cosplaying is permitted unless there is a pre-scheduled event)

Rindou Lake Family Grounds

Area: Tochigi
Address: 栃木県那須郡那須町高久丙414-2
TEL: 0287-76-3111
Hours: 9:00~17:00 (seasonal)
Pricing: 1,500 (adults) 800 (children)

http://www.rindo.co.jp/

A little piece of Switzerland in Tochigi Prefecture

This 30 square-meter park is centered around Rindo Lake and features a Swiss railroad, go cards, and a merry-go-round. In every season, different flowers bloom and the natural setting around the lake is quite picturesque. If you can't afford a trip to Switzerland, shooting here is the next best thing.

There are many spots to explore, so you can easily spend a whole day shooting photos.

"This theme park suits either Westerns or asian-style costumes. The lakefront is particularly popular."

(no grotesque or erotic costumes or photos)

*cos-a vol. 1

Last edited by kiratsukai : 02-28-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #229
kiratsukai
culture shocked

How To Make Original Cosplayer Namecards

You can't get by at an event or photo shoot without namecards. Why not make them with your favorite photo?

You can download the trial version of Photoshop Elements 7 for free, so if you haven't got the software yet, grab it first.

Downloads:
English (30 day trial) @ CNET
Japanese (30 day trial) *Elements 8

Buy a full copy of Adobe Elements 7 on amazon.co.jp (within Japan only) here

(note: this tutorial uses the Japanese version of Elements 7, though it should be adaptable to other versions/languages with a bit of tweaking)

Step 1

Select "新規" , "白紙ファイル" in the "ファイル" pull down menu. Set width (幅) to 90mm and height (長さ) to 55mm to fit standard business cards. Rename the file and click "OK".

Step 2

Open the image you want to use and select only the portion you want to appear on your business card with "選択シール". Set by hitting the enter key.

Step 3

Click on the piece you've selected and drag it to your business card document. The image should copy automatically to the new file.

Step 4

With "Layer 1" toggled, choose "サイズ変更" then "拡大縮小" in the "イメージ" pull down menu. Adjust the height to 55mm and width to match. If you check "縦横比" the other measurements will auto-complete.

Step 5

Now select "横書き文字シール" and click where you want to enter text. You can set the font size, color and style through the toolbar.

Step 6

When you're satisfied with the text's layout, click the "ライヤー" arrow on the right and choose "画像の総合"

Step 7
Save your file and print.

(and don't forget to bring them with you!)

*cos-a vol. 1

Last edited by kiratsukai : 02-28-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Unread 03-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #230
kiratsukai
culture shocked

The Eyes Have It: Eye Makeup Tips from Layers

We interviewed seven Layers who we thought had done a stellar job on their eye-makeup and asked them how it was done. Read up and you too can have show-stopping makeup!!

なめチルさん
Aegis/Persona 3

Layers her lashes for a thick, natural look

Eyeshadow
Q. How did you do the eyeshadow for this character?
Aegis is a robot, so I wanted her to seem artificial and wide-eyed. Like any makeup, it should look natural, but in reality ~ I used a ton! I used a mix of browns and blacks on the upper and outer lids, then on the bottom I went for an extra robotic look with some glitter lamme.

Eyeliner
Q. How did you do the eyeline for this character?
I wanted Aegis to look cute, so I went thin on the liner and heavy on the lashes. I tend to line my own eyes lightly and naturally, so I did the same here. I worry about smudging the lines in my eyes if I line the bottom, so I only did I little on the outer-corner. For a robotic look, I drew a little bit of silver liner along the lashes just above and beneath. I tend to want to overdo my eye-makeup... but I force myself to think about achieving balance in my features.

Lashes
Q. How did you do the lashes for this character?
Afte applying mascara, I layered three sets of false lashes on top. There are no bottom lashes at all. If you want the effect to look more natural, don't fiddle with the bottommost lashes ~ just use them for volume.

Eyebrows
Q. How did you do the brows for this character?
It's tought with blonde characters, because even though you want your brows to match, you don't want them to dissappear entirely. That's why I drew mine in a light brown color. I wanted a cute, girlish look, so I went with thick, curved brows.

MOMOさん
Luchino Gregoretti/Lucky Dog

Avoids mascara for a more masculine look

Eyeshadow
I used black shades near the eyeline and dark brown to circle the eye.

Eyeliner
If the line is too thick or long, the effect is feminizing. So I try to line deliberately in a single, thin line. I over-line the outer bottom eye to the tear duct, but if you extend the line too far, you get a fox-eye look, so you need to be careful. The final touch is a but of brown shadow around the edge of the eyes to create natural gradation.

Lashes
If you go overboard on lashes, it looks girly. For this look, I don't use any at all. Instead, I do my best on the other makeup.

Eyebrows
The brows on this look are thick near the eyes then arch upward and thin out. My hair's pink, so I matched a lip pencil with my wig hair and use that to draw them. That way, even in pictures, they look like a good match.

Other
Q. Is there anything else we should be careful of?
Luchino is a pretty manly character, so flashy makeup really isn't his thing. Too much of anything will just look girly. Do your best for a natural look, but make sure your eyes don't lose to your wig and clothes. I think it's best to do a few test runs and figure out the right balance for you. Even pink can be manly! (laugh) Do your best and trust your instincts!

ROUさん
Dino Vainburg/Code Geass R2

Uses liquid liner to line the eyes

Eyeshadow
I only use a little brown shadow at the base and outer corners of the eye for a natural look. If you shadow the whole eye or go too heavy, it can be a little much... so be careful.

Eyeliner
For characters with big eyes like this one, I use black liquid liner to encircle the whole eye with a sharp, thin line, drawing a bit under my own natural eyeline on the bottom for the illusion of width. The liner really makes your eyes pop.

Lashes
To make false lashes look more natural on a male character, I use thin, downward pointing lashes and cut them shorter. I put just a little mascara on my bottom lashes too.

Eyebrows
I thin out my own natural brows and cover them with concealer to erase them. Then I draw in new brows over the top ~ thick at the base near the eye and getting thinner as they rise. I don't go for much of an arch, instead I try to get a smooth, straight-ish line.

Other
If you highlight under the inner corner of the eye, the effect is more striking.

黒猫王子さん
Louise Hartwick/Zettai Meirei

Erases the inner eye crease with eye-shadow

Eyeshadow
He's a young character, so it's best to go light. I use just enough brown shadow to deepen my eyes on the upper inner corners, blurring out any obvious lid line in the process.

Eyeliner
I have narrower eyes, so I just line them with eyeliner, going pretty heavy on the top. My own eyes tilt down, so to offset that, I raise the eyeline on the outer corner. It's a male character, so the lower and inner lines are as thin as I can possibly get them.

Lashes
I use mascara to lift up my own lashes then apply false lashes. You just need to be careful not to choose lashes that are too full or flowery. If you do, you'll look like a female character. I use thin, natural lashes on the outer corners only.

Eyebrows

Other

紅花さん
Tina Branford (Amano ver.)/Final Fantasy VI

Uses lipstick as eyeshadow

Eyeshadow
Tina has some pretty elaborate and colorful clothes, so I've put on a lot of red shadow to match. It's actually lipstick on there with a powder eyeshadow over top to set it. It makes for more vibrant color and stays all day without need for re-application.

Eyeliner
I drew a double-line to look more like a foreigner. I lined my eyes with a brown liquid liner, trying to keep lines smooth and curved. The upper line is finished with a bit of brown shadow for a gradation effect. I have down-turned eyes, so I lined the upper outer lid a bit heavier than usual for an almond eye look.

Lashes
I used two different styles of false lashes. I put mascara on the top and bttom lashes then used liquid liner to line the lash line at the peak of the eye. I think using regular eyeliner to obscure the base of applied lashes looks more natural.

Eyebrows
Amano's designs don't have much in the way of eyebrows, so I didn't draw any. All I did was cut my own brows very short with scissors so they wouldn't clash with the wig.

Other
In order to connect my eye makeup and my brows, I actually trailed a little of the red coloring along the outer tips of my eyebrows. I think having that bit of balance between the eyes and eyebrows is important.

海華さん
Sanji/ONE PIECE

Uses a double-eyeline for a stronger impression

Eyeshadow
I use the same color shadow on the socket and the eye itself to strengthen the eyes.

Eyeliner
I draw one, straight line for the bottom. I don't want my eyes to look round, so I avoid curved lines and full enclosures.

Lashes
I think false lashes make your eyes pop and give them a bit more power.

Eyebrows
It's really the eyebrow spiral that makes the look. I use brown pencil to draw my brows while thinking about balance.

Other
All the extra lines can be confusing to the eye, so be sure to define your own eye with a double-line.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-02-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Unread 03-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #231
kiratsukai
culture shocked

The Eyes Have It: Eye Makeup Tips from Layers (part 2)

TAKAさん
Keiki/Juuni Kokki

Uses mascara on her natural lashes

Eyeshadow
Q. How did you do the eye shadow for this character?
I basically use brown shadows. The character has narrow eyes, so I go heaviest on the outer corner and try to gradiate the rest of the eye to match. Using a bit of dark shadow on each corner can help lengthen the eye.

Eyeliner
To give the illusion of sharper, longer eyes, I drew a really thick eyeline around the eye. To keep it from looking too scary, I used a brown liquid liner instead of black. About a mm above the eye, I used a brown liner to make a double-line. To draw the eye out lengthwise, I added a little more liner to the outer corner.

Lashes
It's a male character, so I don't use false lashes. Though I do apply mascara for a more striking look.

Eyebrows
This character is blonde, so I've used a brown pencil to draw in my brows. My natural eyebrows aren't as close to my eyes as the character's. So I've drawn them just a little beneath my own browline so that it doesn't look too unnatural. Sometimes I find that pencilled-in brows dissappear in flash or long shots, so I add a bit of brown eyeliner over the top too.

Other
Eyeliner and shadow can make the surface of your skin difficult to work with. So if you're going to make a double-fold with eye-glue, do it beforehand.

*Feb 2010

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-04-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Unread 03-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #232
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Product Recs: What's In the Pouch

We stopped some of our favorite cosplayers and asked them to introduce the contents of their makeup pouches to us. So here's your chance to peek at other Layers' preferred products and maybe even find some new favorites of your own.

Aida Yukikoさん
Hatsune Miku/Project DIVA

Base
-Anessa Perfect UV sunscreen A
I always use sunscreen as a base.

Foundation
-REVUE Superior Stay Liquid UV Foundation (above)
-REVUE Essence-in Perfect (below)
The bottom one is great for covering blemishes, it's my main concealer

Mascara
-Maybelene Volume Express Hypercurl
This really brings out the volume in lashes

Eyeliner
-Sana Power Style Liquid Liner (left)
-Sana Super Quick Eyeliner EX (right)
Since I started using the one on the right, I've forgotten the meaning of the word "smudge"

Shadow
-Lavshuca Noble On Color Eyes (left), KATE Deep Eyes (right), Chacott Make Up Color Variation (bottom)
The bottom one shows up the best in photos. I really like it.

Other
-D-Up Eyelashes Fixer EX552 (false lash glue)
It's quick, transparent and easy on the skin

大葉竹さん
Sengoku Basara

Base
-Anessa Milky Sunscreen (town use)
It doesn't feel greasy on your skin and lasts a long time

Foundation
-MAC Lightful Ultra Foundation (left)
-MAC Studio Fix Concealer (right)
It stays on and covers everything I want covered

Mascara
-Maybelene Volume Express Turbo Boost N (left)
-Majorica Majorica Lash Expander (right)
I use the left for volume and the right to seperate

Eyeliner
-Maybelene Expert Line Liquid Eyeliner (left)
-Maybelene Eye Studio Creamy Gel Liner (right)
I use the left for color. The right I use for more control in detailed eyelines

Shadow
-KATE Deep Eyes N
-KATE Deep Trap Eyes
The color and performance are great for the cost, so I use KATE products

Other
-Kiss Me Heroine Make Covering Powder
I use this all over when I'm finished to set the look

イカリさん
Lightning/FFXIII

Base
-exa Collagen Water
I don't use a base, but I always cleanse and apply this

Foundation
-Yves San Laurent Tan Ekra di Sowa
It has a lot of coverage, it's my treasure

Mascara
-dejavu Lash Knockout (left)
-dejavu Fiberwig Extra Long (right)
I like both of these. They don't smudge easily, but can be taken off cleanly.

Eyeliner
-Chanel Renew du Chanel Case-type (right)
-KATE Liquid Liner (left)
I use the right for my double-line. To line my eyes, I use the left.

Eyeshadow
-Yves San Laurent (bottom)
-MAC (right)
-Body Shop (left)
The bottom one looks the nicest in photos but the MAC metallics are really pretty

Other
-Yves San Laurent Tandu Perurufin Powder Foundation
This stuff is wonderful. It has the perfect coverage.

朝日香さん
Hakuouki

Base
-DHC/Q10 Moisture Care Color Base
It's cheap and works great, it's more of less transparent, but it evens out skin tone too

Foundation
-RICE FORCE Liquid Foundation
A skin-friendly foundation that won't rub off. I love it.

Mascara
-Maybelene Volume Express Magnum
I use elegance lash fixer under my mascara

Eyeliner
-Canmake Gel Eyeliner (left)
-Perfect Black Eyeliner (center)
-Cezanne Eyeliner N (right)
These are all cheapies but work great

Shadow
-B&C Brow Coating (right)
-Cover Make Bright Up Foundation (center)
-Sofina Very Very Perfect Mousse (left)
Eyebrow coating, concealer and pore cover ~ I use 'em all

*Feb 2010

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-04-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Unread 03-04-2010, 03:07 AM   #233
kiratsukai
culture shocked

VOCALOID POPULARITY RANKING
~chosen by Vocaloid cosplayers~

(NOTE: Each of these songs has a niconico douga link. Using niconico is just like using youtube, only it requires the creation of a password-protected ID. Don't let this deter you ~ the sign-up process is quite simple.)

Out of some very stiff competition, these songs emerge victorious!!
In preperation for the release of this issue, we circulated a poll around the massive (and growing) Vocaloid cosplay community. We wanted to know where Layers are getting their inspiration and what songs inspire the most costumes. Through a dead heat of popular songs, one song emerged victorious. This seems to be the one song that everyone knows!!

Number 1 - ワールドイズマイン
World is Mine ~ supercell
original video
Spin off ~ Another World is Mine
With over a million views on Nico Nico Douga, the world really does belong to "World is Mine"!! This song is in kareoke boxes and arcade games nationwide, it even has it's own figure. It really seems to have become a part of the mainstream.

Number 2 - 悪の娘/悪の召使
Daughter of Evil/Servant of Evil ~ mothy
Original 悪の娘 - Original 悪の召使
In a far-off country, the sad story of two doomed twins plays out in the dramatic number 2. These two songs combine to make one longer story, so we've counted them as a set.

The Best of the Rest
Here we've ranked all of the runners up. Are your favorites in there?

Number 3 - magnet
magnet ~ 流星P
Original video
(Oddly enough, the default magnet isn't the highest-ranking magnet on NicoNico... it's an awesome parody version by utattemita vets. Gero and Faaneru. Highly recommended!)

Number 4 - ロミオとシンデレラ
Romeo and Cinderella ~ doriko
Original video
(Again, the highest niconico ranking goes to an utattemita ~ this one by よっぺい)

Number 5 - サンドリヨン
Cendrillion ~ orange and シグナルP
Original video
Spin-off ~ アドレサンス (Adolescence)

Number 6 - 龍ノ啼ク箱庭拠リ
From the Howling Dragon Box-Garden ~ 弱音P
Original video
(This song has gone through a huge fan-makeover ~ so much so that some people have no idea that it was originally a solo Miku song. The most popular version is for the boys: Kaito, Len and Gakupoid. It also suffers from one of the most unfortunate machine translations into English. There's no sand involved, guys!)

Number 7 - 右肩の蝶
Butterfly (on my) Right Shoulder ~ のりP
Original video
Companion Version

Number 8 - 炉心融解
Meltdown ~ iroha and kuma (xiao sphere)
Original video
Spin-off: ロリ誘拐
Noteable Remix: R.K.mix

Number 9 - カンタレラ
Cantarella ~ C.K. Style
Original video
(Here's a bit of trivia for you: the original Cantarella wasn't a Vocaloid song at all. It was performed by a real band White Flame two weeks before Miku and Kaito's version debuted.)

Number 10 - メルト
Melt ~ supercell
Original video

11. ブラック★ロックシューター
12. 巡姫舞踊曲
13/14 (tie). IMITATION BLACK 人柱アリス
15. みくみくにしてあげる
16. 紅一葉
17/18/19 (tie). Just be Friends 暗い森のサーカス Synchronicity~巡る世界のレクイエム~ part 1 part 2
20/21/22 (tie). 鎖の少女 結ンデ開イテ羅刹ト骸  ダンシング☆サムライ
23/24 (tie). 卑怯戦隊うろたんだー よっこらせっくす
25/26/27/28/29 (tie). クレイヂィ・クラウン 千年の独奏歌 イタズラムスメ* 悪食娘コンチータ 恋色病棟
30-36 (tie.) パラジクロロベンゼン アドレサンス カラフルウォール ごみばこ RIP=RELEASE しねばいいのに カムパネルラ
37-65 (tie). Lividus のろいのまがね~a stray girl in her lenses トウキョウト 初めての恋が終わりの時 persona alice バンバンブー☆ リスタート 冬の虫 ジュブナイル sing for you ADAM 恋は戦争 初音ミクの消失 えれくとりっく えんじぇぅ ラブリスト更新中? その一秒スローモーション Paranoid Doll ミラクルペイント ぽっぴっぽー フキゲンワルツ 風切羽 サイハテ Little doll 今夜もセフセフ Dear ANTI_THE∞HOLiC 激嬢想歌-Gekijyousouka- 夕日坂 ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

*sung by Rin's voice actress

Character Best Costume Ranking
We also had the layers answering our survey tell us what image-costume was their favorite for each of the Vocaloids. As it turns out, every character has a different best song, but all together they make for a well-dressed bunch!

Hatsune Miku - Cantarella
Just the title of the song gives you a dark feeling, and Miku's black dress makes for a striking centerpiece. The back is a lace-up for a really sexy look.

Megurine Luka - Cendrillion
Unlike Miku's version of Cendrillion, Luka's features a black dress with a sexy deep-slit and blood-red roses in her hair and on her chest as accents.

Kagamine Rin - Aku no Musume
A Black or gray ballgown with shining yellow accents. Plenty of tulle lace underskirts and even the usually rough-and-tumble Rin looks gorgeous.

Kagamine Len - Imitation Black
For whatever reason, you all wanted Len in a dress. The frilly, violet-trimmed skirt with a short front accented with a black garter belt makes for a sexy, girlish look.

KAITO - Romeo and Cinderella
For this look, Romeo needs his Juliet. With Miku to compliment, the best KAITO is a prince in a plain white shirt.

MEIKO - Akushoku Musume Conchita
Meiko's seductive puff-sleeved, off-shoulder costume is number 1. This red dress is accented with a large emerald-stone brooch at the chest.

Kamui Gakupo - From the Howling Dragon Box-Garden
This gothic style, straight out of the middle ages really makes you feel a gap between this Gakupo and the usual one. It's also noteable for it's accompanying up-do.

GUMI - Kamupanerura
Newcomer GUMI's near-future costume makes for a natural image which tops this chart. The flowy white skirt gives the whole costume a gentle image.

*Layers Bible vol. 2

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-04-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Unread 03-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #234
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Vocaloid Song Reference: World is Mine

A white dress and black knee-high stockings for artless adorableness
This song is from ryoP, the musician behind hits like "Melt" and "Love is War". The lyrics express the selfish, but adorable nature of women, so redjuice has combined a pure white dress with some more telling accents. The result is an image that's popular with both men and women.

"World is Mine"
Composer/Lyricist: ryoP
Illustrator: redjuice
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3504435

Comment from 鈴ノ助:
"I never imagined that cosplayers would ever like the design or want to emulate it. The princess in `World is Mine` may have some unreasonable demands but, I tried to draw her in a way that would communicate all sorts of different aspects of girls in general. So I'm really happy that female cosplayers enjoy the design. Keep cosplaying, everyone!"

Hatsune Miku
The combination of a sweet little white dress and black knee-highs is the best! Be careful with the huge hair ribbons ~ the coloring and style is different on the right and left sides.

I'm the number one princess in the world!

*Layers Bible vol. 2

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-05-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Unread 03-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #235
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Vocaloid Song Reference: Synchronicity

Each character is re-imagined in a costume from a shining fantasy world
ひとりずくP's popular songs serve as the basis for a cycle of accompanying high-concept videos. The hero of the cycle, Len, sets out on a journey to find his birth-twin (his other half). Detailed fantasy illustrations by 鈴ノ助, the artist behind 悪のP's "moonlight bear" video, is surely one of the secrets of its popularity.

"Synchronicity〜巡る世界のレクイエム〜"
Composer/Lyricist: ひとしずくP
Illustrator: 鈴ノ助
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6256856

Comment from 鈴ノ助: The challenge to designing the costumes in this video was to create something completely new and consistant with a fantasy world while maintaining recognizable elements of the characters' original costumes. I want there to be no doubts that the viewer is now in a fantasy world, but I want them to know that they're still following the adventures of familiar Vocaloid characters. I kept this in mind, particularly when making color-choices.

Len

His long cloak has a hood lined with plenty of fur in a yellowish hue. His necklace, a pair with Rin's, uses the bass clef motif that usually marks his uniform shirt.

Full design sheet (link)

Rin

Rin is wearing an adorable knee-length A-line dress which gives her an adorable volumnous sillouette. Her necklace uses a treble clef motif.

Full design sheet (link)

Miku

Miku is weaing a mysterious mask that completely obscures her eyes. The skirt is cut in such a way to create a peekaboo effect. The upper thighs are circled with red spirals.

Full design sheet (link)

KAITO

"Kaito has two different costume designs, but I've totally forgotten my original intent in desigining two!" (by 鈴ノ助) Both costumes are marked by the same symbol (a motif that appears throughout Syncrhonicity).

Full design sheet 1 (link)
Full design sheet 2 (link)

MEIKO

Meiko's costume is basically a mini-dress with armor over top. The balance between womanly-curves and and raw strength shows through. She has a full armor piece on her left arm.

Full design sheet (link)

Luka

Luka's dress has deep slits on both the left and right. Her nurse cap has the same symbol that apears on Kaito's sleeve.

Full design sheet (link)

Kamui

This design uses elements from both Japanese and Western fashion. Nearly everything is layered, folded over or pleated, so there's a lot of cloth involved in this lush, elegant look.

Full design sheet (link)

*Layers Bible vol. 2

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-05-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Unread 03-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #236
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Vocaloid Song Reference: Servant of Evil

Lovely clothes to contrast a cruel fate
悪のP's twin-tragedy is the most popular of all of the Kagamine's songs. In spite of being siblings, Rin and Len are seperated by their status: one is a lady and the other a servant. The song is a sequel to the popular "Daughter of Evil" and adds much more sympathetic detail to the cruel, capricious main character. It's also the source of the absolutely gorgeous costumes we're about to introduce.

"悪の召使"
Composer/Lyricist: 悪の (mothy)
Illustrator: 壱加 (yellow dress), sabo (black)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3133304

Comment from 壱加: Personally, I always imagined the country Rin lived in to be much like France, so her costume has an all-over rose motif. Remembering that Rin is only 14, I chose frills and ribbons that would suit a young girl and age-down an otherwise mature dress. On the other hand, Len is the more mature character in this song and I aimed for a more mature atmosphere. If I've managed to make their clothes match but still reflect each of their respective situations and mindsets: I'm glad.

Rin

A violent young lady living in an elegant, but disquieted kingdom. Her dress has been designed to be volumnous and heavy but with both shoulders exposed to the collarbone for a decadant impression. Frills at the sleeves bring the luxurious feeling to a whole new level!

The sleeves are bell-shaped and open from near the elbow. Inside are seven layers of frills.

ribbon ~ the ribbon is actually two ribbons of the same shape bundled together

hair clips ~ black rose hairpins, one in bloom and the other just opening

choker ~ a black rose motif choker

brooch ~ a black rose brooch

The ribbon on the front of the dress should be downward draping and longer at the center

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-05-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #237
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Vocaloid Song Reference: Servant of Evil (part 2)

The shoulder piece has a small line of black lace on both the top and bottom.

Alternate 壱加 Designs

Here are some another designs for the dress by 壱加. Assuming Rin had turned from the path of evil before it was too late, perhaps her dress would have looked like this.

A combination of these alternate designs was used on the cover of 悪のP's cd jacket. This design features especially long sleeves.

Len

The younger twin brother of the queen, forced to work as a servant. He wears a simple, serviceable uniform suiting a servant. Even so, the uniform is meticulous and stylish. His hairstyle, just like Len's default design, includes the high, stubby ponytail.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-05-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #238
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Vocaloid Song Reference: Servant of Evil (part 3)

Within the castle, Len removes his jacket and wears only the shirt and vest underneath

When he leaves the castle, he puts on his jacket and gloves for a more formal appearance.

Collar ~ the collar is a stiff, well-starched collar

Belt ~ his belt buckle is worn on the right side with the left side falling lower on his hip

Main jacket ~ the fit should be picture-perfect for a severe, clean sillouette. The jacket is longer in the front than in the back.

Sleeves ~ The sleeves have a slightly flared design. There should be a thin, straight crease on the top from the shoulder to the opening of the cuff.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-05-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #239
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Vocaloid Song Reference: Servant of Evil (part 4)

Len's image illustration. The costume here wasn't drawn for working around the castle at all, rather for ftravelling with Rin outside of the kingdom.

Sabo's Version

Comment from sabo: My own design for the song assumed that the twins were living in medievil Europe. I didn't want to over-design the costumes, so I tried to keep the design clean with only a few luxurious details. I also had the image of a circle or ring in my mind when designing these costumes. I imagine that if the fabric had a sheen to it, it would be quite pretty. In any case, the main fabric is black or dark gray.

Rin

This version of Rin is dressed in a black dress with orange accents and frills. It's actually desgined as a 2 piece (a bodice and skirt).

The frill at the elbow is pointing up.

Len

This version of Len is dressed in a uniform-esque white shirt and kerchief under a vest and jacket. His pants are designed to end just under the knees. He's wearing white tights underneath.

His ponytail is tied lower than usual.

In the picture above, Rin and Len are smiling against a blue sky, unaware of the terrible fate that awaits them both. In the bottom picture, the background is replaced with scenes of their unfortunate future.

*Layers Bible vol 2

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-05-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Unread 03-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #240
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Vocaloid Song Reference: From the Howling Dragon Box-Garden

Gorgeous costumes invite you into a dark fantasy world
This bombastic Miku tune from 弱音P, the creator of Yowane Haku, has been covered by every combination of every Vocaloid imagineable. シンP's version for Len, KAITO and Gukupo is the most popular as the tkn original gothic-styled illustrations made for that version and it's many spin-offs.

"龍ノ啼ク箱庭拠リ"
Composer/Lyricist: 弱音P
Illustrator: tkn
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1804377

Comment from tkn: "When I drew Len, KAITO and Gakupoid I wanted to bring back the brand of "Visual Kei" that was popular several years ago. But I had a lot of other images running around my head too: angels and demons, dragons... (laugh) As a result, I think the others took on a more fantasy feeling. Please feel free to let your own imagination run away with you and alter my designs. As long as you make it as flashy as possible!"

Hatsune Miku

Miku is wearing a boustier-type dress with princess-sleeves and a plunging neckline. Her mini hat and lace veil are dotted with sparkling jewels.

Kagamine Len

This design is centered around a tail-jacket with a high collar. The belt buckle is big and has a crown motif.

KAITO

His trademark muffler seems to have undergone some damage. He has an elabroate piercing in his right ear as well.

Kamui Gakupo

The frilly stand-up collar really brings out the decadence in this design. His eyes are mismatched ~ one purple and one blue to match the stones set in his hair.

Kagamine Rin

The top of her jacket is just like Len's but turns into a more body-hugging bodice with pink biasing. Her hair is gathered into a high, volumnous ponytail tied with a pink and black ribbon.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-05-2010 at 11:58 PM.