Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Ok. A simple question based on a simple scenario.
You, the cosplayer, have requested a photoshoot.

What do you expect from the photographer?

Caveat: "Good Pictures" is not an answer.

Consider carefully, it's a more complex question that it would seem.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
Akurei
Insane writer/seamstress

I expect the photographer to provide me some degree of direction. I expect the photographer to help me find a pose that would lead to a good picture. I then expect the photographer to tell me how to adjust in order to get the best possible angle. I expect the photographer to not take just posed pictures- like, to let me act in character and just take pictures like that. I do expect the photographer to be patient with me and to treat me with respect and to respect my limitations (if I say I can't climb up that tree in this dress it means I CAN'T CLIMB UP THAT TREE IN THIS DRESS... even if that would make a cool picture ;-. I also expect the photographer to be on time (or to let me know if s/he's going to be late), and to show me the pictures before posting them to his/her website, deviantArt, etc and also to not distribute the pictures to people other than myself.

This may seem like a lot, but I think most of it is common sense (at least it is for me >.>...)
Akurei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
coslenses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfcreate View Post
Ok. A simple question based on a simple scenario.
You, the cosplayer, have requested a photoshoot.

What do you expect from the photographer?

Caveat: "Good Pictures" is not an answer.

Consider carefully, it's a more complex question that it would seem.
TFC
Assuming you've established some degree of trust with the photographer, which is why you have requested a photoshoot with him/her in the first place:

1) Be sure the photographer has basic knowledge on your character/series, and the main storyline/arcs (Otherwise educate him/her! =D)

2) Be allowed to view and review photographs taken by the photographer after the shoot, so any bad photos in my opinion can be pointed out and suggested to be removed/shopped

3) The photographer should have some good venues for phototaking

4) I believe that pictures taken belong to the photographer, but I will really appreciate it if I get the original copies via email as well!

5) A sense of humor/feeling for omake shots after actual photoshoot.

6) Be helpful in adjusting poses verbally if you feel the cosplayer looks weird, same goes for hair/makeup.
coslenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
Jim3535

That looks like a pretty demanding list. It mostly makes sense for private, dedicated photo shoots, but for at-convention stuff? I can't imagine everyone with a camera at a convention trying to let every random cosplayer they take shots of review images before posting them.

With regards to the chaos in this thread, it might be useful to make specific threads for different questions. Maybe prefix them with standard tags such as "Cosplayers: ...?" and "Photographers: ...?".
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #20
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3535 View Post
With regards to the chaos in this thread, it might be useful to make specific threads for different questions. Maybe prefix them with standard tags such as "Cosplayers: ...?" and "Photographers: ...?".
You know, I think you're on to something. This is only 2 pages in right now and I'm personally already confused.
^_^;
I'll try this way out with my question and we'll see how it works...

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=202601
Unread 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #21
Ginny
Bad Wolf
Special Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephygoth View Post
This thread should be forwarded to every fan in existance. Too little respect for the model nowdays. I thought it was getting better in 2005! but...
1) Let the cosplayer post their pics first,IF AT ALL.

That's a pretty crazy demand. O_O
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3535 View Post
That looks like a pretty demanding list. It mostly makes sense for private, dedicated photo shoots, but for at-convention stuff? I can't imagine everyone with a camera at a convention trying to let every random cosplayer they take shots of review images before posting them.
I think anyone can see a definite distinction between "snapshots" and "photography."

Any passer-by at a convention who says "Hey, can I get a picture?" and takes a one or two, obviously because they are a fan of the character/series, impressed by the costume or workmanship, or are just doing con coverage - those are snapshots for their personal use and I don't much care about seeing the photos or agreeing on how they are used. If I recognize that I blinked during the shot, I might ask the person to take another one, just so I don't look like I'm half-asleep in the picture, but other than that, I don't particularly care.

If, at a convention or in private, I agree to or arrange a photoshoot with a photographer that involves moving to a specific setting, utilizes multiple poses, lasts longer than, oh, 20 minutes or so, and/or includes a model release form - well, then, that's a different matter. In that situation, I do hope the photographer lets me at least see the photos (I recognize that the photographer owns the photos, but I also recognize - as should the photographer - that the photographer has a vested interest in me being happy with the photos), if not gives me/makes available copies of them (all/partial/best/whatever) as a courtesy. This is going to depend, too, on the reason for the shoot: if my photographer friend asks me to model for him, then I yield all artistic decisions to him, and if he feels like giving me copies, then that's up to him. If I go to him and pay him for a photoshoot, then I do expect copies of the photos - otherwise, what am I paying him for? At a con, when things are much more impromptu, I do appreciate the photographer giving me a business card to their website where they (almost always) post the photos; while it's unreasonable for me to expect to review the photos there at the con, I can at least view the photos online, and if I find anything truly objectionable, I can contact them about it. I've never had to do this, however, as photographers are, after all, artists, and are interested in putting their best photos up.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #23
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

As a *sometimes* photographer, I must ask.

Do cosplayers get embarrassed or offended when photographers photoshop out certain traits? Distinguishing moles, scars, birthmarks, tattoos, piercings?

What about when it goes farther, such as skin blurring and body morphing?
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #24
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

I think it could offend some people, especially those that take pride in things like their tattoos and piercings or consider a distinguishing mole to be their 'trademark', so to speak. It seems to me like it's best to ask, or in the case of non-private shoot sets, default to 'no', just in case.

When it starts getting into plasticizing, I think that's definitely gonna get some people unhappy. I know I personally can't stand that overly shopped airbrush look.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
maulrat
cabusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
Do cosplayers get embarrassed or offended when photographers photoshop out certain traits? Distinguishing moles, scars, birthmarks, tattoos, piercings?

What about when it goes farther, such as skin blurring and body morphing?
Unless I know for sure that the character has such attributes (like a certain mole), I usually remove small moles and birthmarks. If it is a private shoot, I will ask the coser if she wants these removed. If it is zits, I try my best to remove them always. As for tattoos or piercings, I don't touch em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru
When it starts getting into plasticizing, I think that's definitely gonna get some people unhappy. I know I personally can't stand that overly shopped airbrush look.
For this reason, more people who use the blur and/or surface blur tool should to try to put the pores into the skin. I try to do this as best as I can. I'm still a newbie photog and was blasted hard when I first started for producing barbie doll skin.
maulrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #26
maulrat
cabusi

What is up Sephygoth? It really sounds like you had a really crappy experience with the photogs you've worked with. You seem to be on the attack with your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephygoth
This thread should be forwarded to every fan in existance. Too little respect for the model nowdays. I thought it was getting better in 2005!
Perhaps you shouldn't have started your comment out this way. Sounds like every photog out there doesn’t give a damn about the model/cosplayer.

Quote:
IF you claim to be a cosplayer and photog, have proof of either, card on hand or in cosplay yourself.
If I give you a business card saying that I’m the President of the United States, will you believe me? Yes, it is nice to have some contact info readily available on a card however you shouldn’t demand that all photogs must have one. I don’t recall any cosplayer having a business card.

Quote:
Random photog doing a book on cosplay was very cool and very accomodating, but didn't know a licky split of the characters he took pics of. How is that possible? Rule 4? yeah, know the character you're taking a pic of helps. "I've seen you before" doesn't cut it when you're talking to an original character.
This is ridiculous. You mean to tell me that I should learn about every single character for every cosplayer I take photos of? As a cosplayer, you should have some clue as to how many manga, anime, game characters there are out there. Not sure about you but I don’t have that much time on my hands. How many photogs come to you and ask if you know how to use their camera? Do you know about each and every camera body, lens, filter, flash, settings, etc? Didn't think so. You shouldn’t expect the photog to know about every cosplayer's character.

Quote:
Face it, you're interested in whats under there, fight the panty shots unless you have an outspoken model who literally requests said juiceyness.
If this is all photogs were interested in, wouldn’t it save a lot of time and money to just look up this type of garbage on the internet? You are very STUPID for insinuating that every photog takes photos of cosplayers just to see whats “under there”. Yes, I just totally said that to you!

Quote:
I'm not saying treat cosplayers as gods either, but remember, without them, you're just working out your neck muscles with a pricey weight
o_O After reading this far, it sure sounds like you expect to be treated as a god/goddess.

Quote:
don't sneak up and take pics in groups of ppl that ASKED, I kill you dead.
Totally don’t get what you’re trying to say here. Moving on…
This whole comment of yours seems like just a rant on your guidelines as to what a photographer must and must not do. I find a few of your comments very offensive. I don’t think this is how the OP wanted photographers to feel.

Last edited by maulrat : 03-12-2010 at 03:48 PM.
maulrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #27
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

I try to limit skin-fixes to "temporary" conditions such as acne, scraps, bruises, smudged make-up etc.

Occasionally I have done some light skin smoothing when there is blotchiness or if I have seen many pictures already post of a particular cosplayer "as shot" and just want to glam mine-up a little.

Edit: Wut Maulrat said.
I won't pretend to know you and you don't insinuate that I'm just interested in, "what's under there"

Last edited by Surfsama : 03-12-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #28
Jim3535

+1 on Maulrat's post.

I've been watching Soul Eater lately, and that list of demands reminds me of Excalibur...
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #29
TheBigTog

Handled with the appropriate deftness, Maulrat. +10

Facebook
deviantART
Cosplay.com
Flickr
TheBigTog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #30
hangyaku
Guitar Hero addict

Thank you for that maulrat *applause*

So I have a question for you guys. (It may have already been answered in another thread, in which case could you guys please point me in the direction of said thread?)

I've never actually done a photoshoot with a cosplayer before and was thinking of finally trying it out this year. The only problem is that I haven't the foggiest as to how I should approach someone about doing a shoot. Any suggestions?