Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 330 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #271
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Interview with KEI ~ Creator of the VOCALOID2 Character Series

Q: How did you come up with Miku's look? Was it your own decision or was it based on specifications from here makers?
There were no requests reguarding her hair or clothing. All I recieved was "she's an android" along with some specs for her color design and certain auxillary parts. Miku was given a particular YAMAHA synthesizer's signature blue-green color and some of the same synthesizer motifs on her clothing. For example ~ the print on her skirt is actually based on a panel from the real synthesizer.

Q: It seems cosplayers who want to dress up as Hatsune Miku could learn a lot by checking out some synthesizers. Was it your idea to incorporate things like that?
No, I know next to nothing about synthesizers. So I had to have the makers point me in the right direction and correct my initial sketches. For example: after I showed them my roughs for Kagamine Len, they suggested he have and M-D cable (a part used to connect instruments and equipment)... so I added one to his right leg.

Q: Come to think of it, the Kagamine twins' leg covers have really specialized designs too. Are those based on music equipment as well?
The two of them are also based on a YAMAHA synthesizer. Even their theme color comes from a synthesizer. That's why the details on their leg covers aren't the same for both legs. The synthesizer's they're based on have speakers on only one side. Rin's details are on her left leg and Len's are on his right. I lined them up in designs to that Rin would show her left leg and Len, his right.

Q: I see. It's a natural idea for twin characters, huh?
I didn't actually intend for them to be twins. I was told that they're more like mirrors. It's just that when I designed them, I did it at exactly the same time. No sooner was Rin finished than I'd started drawing roughs of Len.

Q: Was there anything else you were requested to incorporate into the VOCALOIDs' designs?
Well, I was given their approximate ages. But I got them along with the information that they were also androids. I'm not sure if androids even age, so I tried to design characters whose personalities and ages aren't immediately obvious from their images alone.

Q: So, you're saying the "android" factor weighs most heavily in your designs?
Yeah, I guess so. When I first got Miku's specs, my immediate image of her involved headphones that would cover her eats and give her a more robotic look. I also wanted her to look even more mechanical than she does now. But over time, I toned it down a bit...

Q: What material did you intend for Miku's arm covers to be made from? Are they plastic? Metal?
I have no idea. The material for the arm covers is unspecified, but it allows the characters to move freely.

Q: If they're androids, do they have other robotic parts?
Well, I suppose you could say Hatsune Miku's hair ribbons are like that. I actually designed them to be free-floating. It could even be the case that her ribbons themselves turn with the tempo of the music (laughs).

Q: Those are the sort of props that make cosplayers break into tears (laughs). Though the characters are all androids, they have a very human cuteness about them, I think. Was it difficult for you to draw so many detailed parts for them?
I have my own less-complicated version of them in my head which are much easier to draw, but when it comes to the official designs, it's really no trouble. Though I have to say, sometimes drawing those belts can be a bit of a pain in the ass (laughs).

Q: Is there anything you're particularly detailed about when it comes to your artwork?
Wrinkles in clothing and lighting. Most of my illustrations involve gothic-lolita fashion, so I'm really careful with wrinkles and creases. Beyond that, lately I really love drawing Miku's twintails! Actually, I had originally intended fr a different hairstyle completely, but I tried out the twintails first on a whim and there was no turning back. At the same time, I decided to add the "01" to her arm and the arm panel detailing.

Q: Miku, Rin and Luka all have numbers on their shoulders along with their names, right? Does Len have the same tattoo or not?
He does. You can't see it because of his sleeve, but he has it on his left arm just like Rin. Also, if you look at my SD illustrations of the characters, you'll see that the thing slung over his shoulder in the official designs is a shoulder keyboard.

Q: How did the design for Megurine Luka come about?
Well the order came in for a 20 year-old, billingual female voiced by Yuu Asakawa. Her voice was husky and a little airy and she had been programmed to handle moodier genres like jazz. The image I initially had of her was of a more mature Oriental-styled woman in a traditional Chinese dress. The other impression I got was one of asymmetry (imbalance between right and left). Since she can sing in both Japanese and English, I wanted the impression of her look to be slightly different when viewed from different angles to capture that visually. I'm often asked about her eyes. I wanted them to be more mysterious and unreadable than Miku, Rin and Len's.

Q: Is there an equipment or instrumental basis for Luka's design too?
Just like Miku, Rin and Len, she has a YAMAHA equipment motif, but she also incorporates brass and woodwind instruments. Her own synthesizer motif involves wood-panelling that mutes the cyber-look a bit, so I think her design is a bit less "robotic" than the others.

Q: What about the jewel she wears at her throat?
It's tied to the intrument motif. I put a woodwind instrument motif along the slit in her skirt. Luka's whole concept is based on the idea of a "breathy voice". Knowing that, I developed the image of air moving through her like an intrument. The jewel adds moisture to the air passing through her throat.

Q: Of all of the different themes incorporated into Luka's design, which did you focus on the most?
The impression of brass. I didn't need to create the same metallic impression with Miku, Rin and Len, but with Luka, I had to worry about creating the impression of real brass. I tried to make her costume add balance to the whole character vocal series.

Q: So, which character in the series is your favorite?
I love them all, but I suppose the first, Hatsune Miku, will always have an extra-special place in my heart. As for the software, I don't really use any of them, so I can't say.

Q: Finally, do you have any message for your fans?
Please take good care of Luka and keep on using Miku, Rin and Len!

Thank you for answering so many questions for us today!

*Layers Bible vol. 2

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-12-2010 at 08:00 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #272
kiratsukai
culture shocked

How To Use And Care For Contact Lenses

1) Check the Curve of Your Lenses

O Correct (lenses will be perfectly rounded)
X Inside-Out (lenses will flare outward)

2) Prepare to Put In Your Lenses

-Use nail clippers to trim and round your nails.

-Wash your hands well with soap.
*do not apply handcream or cosmetics until after you're put in your contacts.

3) Putting in your lenses

-Place the lens (right-side-out) on the pad of your index finger.
(Be sure to check that your lenses are clean and undamaged. Lenses that are discolored, misshapen or torn should never be put into your eyes).

-Use the fingers of your other hand to hold your eye open wide. For best results, put your fingers at the lid-margin, holding back the lashes as well.

-Looking straight ahead, place the lens gently over the darkest part of your eye. (a mirror is helpful)

-Check to see that the lens is correctly applied to the eye and slowly close your lids over it. Blink gently a few times to seal the fit.

4) Removing Lenses

Use your fingertip to pull down the lower lid of your eye.

Use the pads of your fingers to gently push the lens together, and pull out with the resulting buckle.

(continued in the next post)

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-12-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #273
kiratsukai
culture shocked

How To Use And Care For Contact Lenses (part 2)

Cleaning and Storing Contact Lenses

-Place the lens on the pad of your clean hand.

-Rinse with a small amount of contact cleaning solution.

-Place the lens in a contact case filled with solution.

-Close the case lid tightly.
*be sure to change the solution daily

*007 Contacts Promotional Material

Unread 03-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #274
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PSP Game References (Complete)

Hatsune Miku Sings and Dances in This Popular Rhythm Game

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA
All Model Cosplay Point Check!!

Electonic pop-princess Hatsune Miku stars in her first rhythm game for the Playstation Portable, on-sale now! Here we'll introduce all of the different 3D models (costumes) used in the game. It's quite a collection. Be sure to check out each costume's cosplay points before giving it a shot, okay?

初音ミク -Project DIVA-
PSP - Rhythm Action - SEGA - On sale now
6,090 yen (tax-in) - http://miku.sega.jp/pjd/

-The game is played by tapping out the rhythm of popular miku songs with PSP buttons. The learning curve is quite low, so anyone can play.

-In "Miku's Room" you can watch Miku go about her daily business. You can also take photos of her whenever you like.

Hatsune Miku (初音ミク)
the basic costume

The costume included on Hatsune Miku's original packaging is also included. But there's a little more in the way of illumination than usual, so watch out!!

Necktie - Miku's tie is a bit longer than the hem of her vest, making for an especially fashionable look.

Arm Covers - There are lit-up mechanical designs on her armwarmers and skirt.

Kitty (にゃんこ)
A Pampered Little Kitten

Cat ears, a tail, and huge paws are the main focal points of this costume. Her belt has a fish buckle and there are cats on her knees for maximum cuteness.

Twintails - There's no special change in the method of tying, but Miku's twintails are worn lower than usual with this costume.

Tail - The kitten tail is energetic and curves upward.

P-Style
A fashionable near-future look

A colorful module that looks almost like the portable game system. Her hair and clothes change with a variety of available color themes. There are strange silver rings incorporated into the design at various points.

Her body appears to be armored and includes some pieces made with what seem to be hard plastic or metal materials.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-12-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #275
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PSP Game References (Complete) part 2

Heart Hunter (ハートハンター)
A lovely little devil

This is a cute little devilish design. Just like the costume's name, the buttons and buckles are in the shape of hidden hearts.

Hair - Most of Miku's long hair is worn up in small braids.

Back - The back of Miku's costume, near the base of her wings is a cut-out heart-shape!! It's totally sexy.

Punk (パンク)
A funky rocker-look.

This costume is a mix of the coolness of a rocker and the cuteness of Miku. Under her hat, Miku's hair isn't in twintails but is worn down in a rough rock-look!

Earphones - Her headset and chest decoration have the same star motif!!

Fishnets - Her elbows and thighs have sexy fishnets underneath.

Arabian (アラビアン)
Exotic beauty

This costume has the look of a middle-eastern pop-princess. Her gauzy top, deep-red pants, and luxurious gold trims make for an exotic appearance

Shoulders - The accessories around her shoulders appear to float in mid-air.

Stomach - Green, red and gold ribbons fall over the exposed portion of her stomach.

White Dress (ホワイトドレス)
An innocent bride.

This mini-skirt dress has the look of a wedding-dress. It's accesorized by a flower corsage and ribbons in red and pink.

Train - Her train is attatched to her large bun. There are bells on each side.

Corset - The corset of her dress has a piano keyboard on the side.

Plug-in (プラグイン)
Cute & Sexy

This costume fits the body tightly like a leotard. There are triangular designs stuck to her ankles and hips.

Earpieces - Protruding from her hair aren't the usual hair ribbons, but crystals which point off into space.

Gloves - She wears a white bodysuit under the costume which shows through on her thighs and white gloves.

The Gallia Army 7th Platoon (ガリア軍第7小隊)
Miku joins the war effort.

The military uniform worn by the heroine of the SEGA game turned-anime "Vakyria Chronicles". The armor on her shoulders, hips and knees are a focal point.

Kerchief - Over Miku's usual twintails is a loosely tied headscarf.

Hip armor - The armor at Miku's hip is stiff and a bit bulky to move in.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-12-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #276
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PSP Game References (Complete) part 3

Galaxy (ギャラクシー)
An intergalactic heroine

This white costume has a cyber atmosphere. The sleeveless vest shows a a sexy peek of the tube-top underneath.

Armwarmers - both arm warmers have blue-green lens accessories attatched to them.

Socks - her knee socks are pure white! The thigh portions have a small trangle of points on both sides.

Snow (スノウ)
Wooly warmth

Winter wear with fur trim on places like the collar. Her no-sleeve miniskirt dress paired with kneesocks and gloves is perfect for the cold weather.

Zipper - the large zipper on her chest is almost like an accessory, it' pretty cool!!

Wristbands - her dark colored gloves are topped by gold bonbon accents.

Miko
The perfect Japanese ensemble

This fashionable costume has a distinct Japanese flavor. But instead of the usual miko-look, she's in cute laceup boots and a mini-skirt.

Sash - A long ribbon is tied at the side of her waist like an obi.

Boots - Her boots are textured like traditional Japanese footwear for an even more appropriate look.

China (チャイナ)
The panda's the key.

Miku looks really cute with her Chinese-style top and panda backpack. She isn't bare-legged, she's actually wearing knee-high beige stockings for a more fashionable look.

Hair - Her twintails are styled as usual, but topped with circular accessories that look like cyber-dangos.

Backpack - The panda backpack she wears on her shoulders makes the biggest impression.

Dancer (ダンサー)
A cool workout style look!

This sporty pants look is designed for easy movement. Her vest, pants and shoes are neatly coordinated with a shared line motif.

Belly - Miku's shirt and pants have a long space between them, giving us a look at her bellybutton.

Wristbands - Miku's wristbands look familiar, don't they? Just like her hairbands, they're square-shaped with a red line in the center.

School
A fresh-faced female high school student.

From every angle, this costume looks natural on Miku. Though Miku's shirt is long-sleeved, her school blazer is short-sleeves. The final look is quite fashionable, isn't it?

Blazer - The sleeves of Miku's blazer are rolled back and fastened with two buttons.

Badge - The school badge on her right arm has a Miku-esque leek-design emblem.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-13-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #277
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PSP Game References (Complete) part 4

Cheer (チア)
Full of energy!

A cheerleader costume to cheer energetically for everyone. Her twin-tails are pretty short, which gives this model a more practical, active look.

Shirt - Her sun visor and top have "ピアプロ" (piapro) written on them.
*Piapro is a popular Japanese Vocaloid fanart collective.

Footwear - Her short socks and pink sneakers make for an energetic look.

VN02
A metal mechanical suit

This mechanical design looks almost like a power-suit!! The basic costume is built around a tight-fitting bodysuit.

Neck - Among the many mecha-esque details, the cluster at her neck is particularly detailed.

Legs - Behind her boots are flying modules that appear to be thrusters.

Faerie (フェアリー)
Adorable as a flower

This white and flower-colored ensemble really catches the eye. She has a dramatically different arrangement for her twin-tails too.

Skirt - Watch out at the hips! The skirt/tunic portion ends in two flowing yellow ribbons.

Hair - Her big, short flower-like ribbons tie the loops of her twin-tails.

Pirate (パイレーツ)
The fearless captain points the way?

This cute look hearkens back to the days of adventurous pirates. Her hat, vest and arm warmers have rich, detailed fold trim to up the gorgeous-factor!!

Hat - Her pirate hat is pretty orthodox, but be careful! The shape is different in the front and in the back.

Vest - A black ribbon ties her vest closed around her waist, it falls to the left side.

Gothic (ゴシック)
A subdued atmosphere

This is a mature, subdued, monochrome design. The skirt uses a frill trim for just a bit of cuteness.

Sleeves - The sleeves of her arm warmers flare out from the elbows. They're made of rich black and white fabric.

Sleepy (ねむねむ)
An artless bedtime look.

This one is an adorable all-pink nightwear ensemble. The sleeves and pants are short to showcase Miku's pretty arms and legs.

Hair - The accessories tying Miku's twintails are the plain, muted grey disks.

Shorts - There are small red ribbons on both the inside and outside of each leg of the pajama shorts.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-15-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:11 AM   #278
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PSP Game References (Complete) part 5

Space Channel 5 (スペースチャンネル5)
To the Future ~ Ulala-Style!

This costume is a tribute to Ulala, heroine of SEGA's popular music game "Space Channel 5". Her shirt has the "Channel 5" logo emblazoned on it.

Rockets - retro-style silver rockets protrude from the back of the costume.

Gun - a shiny "toy" phaser is strapped to her right leg! You should be able to hold to glue it right to the band.

Space Channel 39 (スペースチャンネル39)
A Black Space-Suit

Also inspired by "Space Channel 5", this shiny black getup with green trim fits Miku's image to a tee, doesn't it?

Chest - There is a "29" logo on the breast of the costume!! It shines as though it's made of enamel.

Armbands - Her dress gloves show through totally transparent armwarmers trimmed in green.

Meiko-Style (メイコスタイル)
Just Like Neechan

This is the costume usually worn by MEIKO, who the other Vocaloids see as a big sister. The arrangement has some Miku-esque sparkle though, so be careful!

Gloves - Miku's version includes new glove coordinates. They make her look a bit like a fighting game heroine, right?!

Shorts and Garter - Miku's short leggings are cut in a zig-zag pattern. A dark yellow ribbon is tied around her thigh as a cute accent.

Rin Style (リンスタイル)
Cute-overload!

This model has Miku donning the costume of her "little sister", Rin. The accessories and coloring all match Rin's own costume model, but are paired with Miku's orthodox hairstyle.

Overlap - Miku is wearing Rin's headphones and ribbon over her own usual twintails and hairbands. They totally suit her!

Leg warmers - Try to make the leg warmers as long as you can. They should be nearly dragging on the ground!

Miyabi (みやび)
A Sakura-Flower in Bloom

This front-closure kimono-esque top is quite fashionable paired with a wide obi. But unlike a real kimono, this getup is a two-piece.

Hair - The accessories in her hair are ribbons in the shape of three sakura petals.

Tights - Her white knee-high stockings are trimmed with heavy black ribbon accents.

Star (スター)
A Sparkling Look

In spite of it's usual coloring, this costume is 100% pop. Her ribbon, earrings and other accessories are oversized to draw the eye.

Earrings - Her earrings are big diamonds which dangle so low, they nearly reach the collar of her shirt.

Ribbon - The ribbon at her chest dominates the top of her costume. The jewel at the center matches the smaller buttons on the shirt.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-15-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #279
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PSP Game References (Complete) part 6

Vocal (ボーカル)
An Idol-Appearance

This one has the definate look of an idol-singer. Her gold ribbon and matching top make sure all eyes are on Miku!

Hair - The long, side ponytail is quite and image-change.

Skirt - There's a small accent on her waist that looks almost like a remote control!!

Magician (マジシャン)
A very mature look

This mature tails-jacket magician combo is pretty sexy. Do you think it looks like she's wearing a Playboy bunny suit underneath!?

Ribbon - Her hair is pulled back into a low, messy ponytail tied with a big black and red ribbon.

Legs - Long boots over fishnet stocking give the costume a sexier edge.

Princess (プリンセス)
120% Adroable

This pink and yellow striped costume is just too cute! Be sure to use lots of ruffles on her skirt and shirt.

Headset - Her headset has a heart motif on the earpieces and is topped with a lovely pink tiara.

Arms and Legs - Her arm warmers and tights have the same pink and yellow stripes.

Hatsune Miku (ハツネミク)
Another Version of Miku

This costume is based on the school uniform that Hatsune Miku wears in the game's opening movie. It's a calm, simple design for an innocent sort of cuteness!

Necktie - Her necktie is short! It reaches just to the pocket on her shirt.

Skirt - Her casual, pleated skirt is, of course, trimmed in her signature green image color.

Hatsune Miku's Striped Swimwear (初音ミクスイムウェア)
Dazzling in Stripes

This costume is a striped swimsuit in Miku'S image color. The cut is a bit smaller than the usual bikini, for a slightly more mature, sexy look.

Top - The top has a ribbon on the front for a cute touch.

Bottom - They aren't high-legs but they're cut pretty low.

Hatsune Miku's School Swimsuit (初音ミクスイムウェアS)
A Suspicious Swim-Look

Miku looks a lot different in regulation school swimwear!! All she needs is a nametag accross her chest and she's a maniac's dream!?

Back - The back of this suit is pretty low cut!! Is that regulation?!

Bottom - It's a school swimsuit, so of course it's a low-leg. The gold tag is the only real accent.

*note: This sort of costume has a high fetish/porn association in Japan. It may not be suitable for con wear.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-15-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #280
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PSP Game References (Complete) part 7

Bonus Character Collection!!
Just like the internet, the PSP game is host to quite a few more great VOCALOID characters. KAITO, MEIKO, Rin, Len, Luka and even some fan-made characters all make appearances.

-You can play rhythm games with other character models too.
-You can even use the characters in Miku's room and unlock extra character songs.

KAITO's Swimwear (カイトスイムウェア)
He Won't Take Off His Scarf!
(accidentally tore the reference image ^^;;; Sorry!!!!)

Kaito's swimsuit is a pair of blue and white trunks. And of course: his trademark winter scarf!

Scarf - His blue scarf moves in the wind as though it's made of pretty lightweight material.

Detail - The side of his trunks are white and have a yellow arrow symbol printed on them!!

MEIKO's Swimwear (メイコスイムウェア)
The Sexiest Swimsuit Ever!

This one-piece swimsuit is cut from wine-red cloth that suits the eldest Vocaloid, Meiko, perfectly. The revealing design is pretty sexy!

Cut-outs - Her cleavage and bellybutton are bared by large, daring cut-outs. They're really sexy!

Back - Though it's a one-piece, it ties on in the back, halter-style.

Kagamine Rin's Swimwear (鏡音リンスイムウェア)
A Spritely, Active Look

Rin's trying to pull off a cute white and yellow polka-dot bikini! You really get a feeling for her energy just looking at it.

Back - This is a halter-type bikini. I guess that makes it sexier?

Bottom - The bottoms are topped with a big frill that hides most of the more revealing bits.

MEIKO (メイコ)
Everyone's Big Sister

The cool and soulful singer, Meiko is in her usual stage costume here. The look is sexy and aggressive.

Top - The top is really short! Her entire waist is totally bared.

Sakine Meiko (咲音メイコ)
A 16 Year-old Look

Meiko before she became a great singer? Her clothes are nearly the same as adult-Meiko, but the coloring is a bit brighter.

Accesories - An orange pouch is attatched to her waist with a belt. White ribbons top her shoes.

KAITO(カイト)
Cool Guy? Or Bully-able Wimp?

KAITO, female-fan-favorite is in his usual white and blue jacket paired with black pants.

Jacket - Both of his jacket arms have big yellow arrow symbols printed on them.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-15-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #281
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PSP Game References (Complete) part 8

Kagamine Len's Swimwear (鏡音レンスイムウェア)
Dazzling one Structure!

Len's swimwear is a pair of trunks in his usual image colors. His active, boyish body is lanky and delicate.

Headset - He's wearing his trusty headset. (Doesn't that pose a major electrocution threat?!)

Trunks - His trunks are long and fall to the top of his knees.

Akita Neru (亞北ネル)
A Boukaroido Who Works For a Rate of 700 Yen an Hour!

This "boukaroido" (防火ロイド) is a creation of the internet fan-community. Her orthodox costume looks really cute with her yellow ponytail.

Hair - Her hair is tied in a ponytail on the left side. It's a bit shorter than Miku's.

Cut-outs - Her shirt has two small holes in it!! Maybe this means Neru is hiding a sexy side!?

Megurine Luka'S Swimwear (巡音ルカスイムウェア)
Cool and Gorgeous

Effortlessly stylish Megurine Luka's swimwear is a gorgeous gold string bikini. Of all of the character models, hers has the most top-class touch.

Headgear - Her usual hairband maintains her her usual calm atmosphere.

Bottom - The bikini bottoms are tied shut at the sides (near the front). It's enough to make your heart skip a beat <3

Yowane Haku (弱音ハク)
Leave the Smack-Talk to Her

A "VOYAKILOID" character who embodies those who can't use the Vocaloid software themselves but still can't help but comment negatively. If you're going to cosplay Haku, you're definately going to need some booze!

Tie - Her purple necktie is worn loose!!

Pants - Her tight pants have a thin purple line running down the sides.

Kagamine Rin (鏡音リン)
A Cute, Energetic Little Girl

Energetic Rin's outfit is her usual pair of shorts and sleeveless sailor top!

Ribbon - Her adorable ribbon isn't a necktie at all, but a tied scarf!!

Kagamine Len (鏡音レン)
More Mature Than His Sister

Len's basic style is a short-sleeved sailor shirt and shorts. He has a belt that matches Rin's (Len's is worn on the right, Rin's on the left).

Tie - Len's necktie is long and skinny. It falls past the top of his shorts.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-15-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:27 AM   #282
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PSP Game References (Complete) part 9

Megurina Luka (巡音ルカ)
An Elegant, Grown-up Lady

This calm-colored jacket and long skirt fit husky-voiced Luka perfectly!

Slit - Luka's long skirt has a deep slit cut into it.

*Layers Bible vol. 2

Unread 03-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #283
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Design Work of ~ Hatsune Miku, Kagamine Rin & Len, Megurine Luka

The following are summaries of KEI's comments on his designwork for the "VOCALOID2 Character Series". There's not much original content in these summaries that isn't already included in the interview with KEI included in the same magazine. For more details about the design process, please have a look at the longer interview.

Design Work of Hatsune Miku
Her necktie, shirt and pleated skirt give her the sillouette of a schoolgirl while her synthesizer-inspired coloring and tech detailing giver her a cybernetic edge. Her most eye-catching costume element may be her long boots, which come up to the thighs and are trimmed in a bare minimum of the same turquoise green that colors her hair and accents her costume. Her curvy twintails are full, but seemingly lightweight. On her shoulder is a red tattoo with her character's name and the number "01".

Design Work of Kagamine Rin
This costume design pairs a sailor jacket with a pair of shorts. Her various parts are based on synthesizers, so her left leg cover has a speaker built into it. Her stiff, upright white hair ribbon is actually part of her headset but it can be removed. Two years younger than Hatsune Miku, Rin still hasn't quite grown into her own. Just like Miku's nails, Rin's are painted in her own image color.

Design Work of Kagamine Len
The first male character in the series, Len is based on the same synthesizer design that Rin is. Compared to the skimpier female costumes, Len has a bulkier sillouette. On his right leg cover is a speaker and on his shoulder (under his sleeve) he has a red tattoo with his name and the number "02".

Design Work of Megurine Luka
The newest character has a mature "older sister" air about her. Her height and flowing clothing give her a sexy sillouette. There is a deep slit in her skirt over her left leg. Her beautiful straight, long, pink hair contrasts nicely with the gold on her chest ornament, costume-trim and boots. On her shoulder is a tattoo marking her as number "03" in the series, after Rin and Len.

*Layers Bible vol. 2

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-15-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #284
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Wig Tutorial: Hatsune Miku

You may be tempted to just clip-in vances and be done with it... but if you've gone through the trouble to find and style your own wig in first place, why not go for that extra bit of accuracy. Miku has a bit more volume in her twintails than most store-bought wigs can manage as-is. But with a little backcombing at the tips, we can turn your standard Miku wig into a really great character piece. Let's try!!!

You'll need:

-a base wig (this one is a short bob from assist wig) 5,980 (tax in)
-vances x 2 (these are from assist wig too) 3,980 yen each (tax in)
both are in "turquoise"

Step 1: Tie off the wig at both sides

First, in order to create a solid base for your vances to sit on, tie off small pigtails on each side of the wig where you want your twintails to attatch. Be careful not to get any of the bangs or sidelocks stuck in the pigtails.

Step 2: Cut some bangs

Use regular scissors to cut some bangs into the wig. In order to get a smooth look on both sides, try twisting the hair gently between two fingers at the tip and gently cutting in downward strokes. Cut only small pieces at a time for the best results.

Step 3: Clup the vances to the tied-off hair

Using the pigtails you tied off in "1 as bases, clip in your vances. Look at both vances from all angles and adjust them for balance. Make sure they're both even.

Step 4: Backcomb the vances

Spray the ends of your vances with hair spray, then use a brush to backcomb gently. If you do too much at once, you may damage your wig beyond repair, so take it a little at a time.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-15-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #285
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Wig Tutorial: Hatsune Miku (part 2)

Step 5: Bring out the volume

Repeat step 4 until you have the volume you want. Stick to back-combing the ends only, or your twintails will frizz and tangle more easily. When you finish, gently smooth out the hair on the surface of the tails with light, short brush strokes from the bottom-up. Don't put your whole brush into the wig, just the tips.

Step 6: Spray to Set

Use hairspray over the whole vance to set it. Smooth the surface of the hair lightly with your hand for a smoother finish. If you spray it solid enough, you should be able to transport the wig and the vances without them tangling.

Step 7: Smooth the Finish

Last, use a comb lightly on the very surface to seperate the hairs there for a more realistic finish. If you wig still seems frizzy or static-prone, repeat steps 6 and 7 as-neccessary.

Viola! Stylish twintails with an accurate, round, full sillouette!

*Layers Bible vol. 2

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-15-2010 at 08:55 AM.