Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #46
SpookyElectric
Vanship Pilot

Is there any compromising with photographers about taking down embarrassing pics?
Sometimes - particularly with lengthier photoshoots, I'll let people preview the pictures before I'm done, and filter out pictures they aren't keen on. I like this, because it saves me work picking which photos to include. Everyone wins. (However, those photos usually aren't done being tweaked - no point spending time on pictures when most of them are going to get scrapped - and it does bug me when cosplayers post the not quite yet ready pictures.)

I don't like taking down pictures once I feel I have a final set up. Almost every time I've been asked, I thought they were OK photos. It's disappointing, but whatever.

On the flip side, I think I've had at least as many (maybe more) requests for photos that I took that didn't make my initial cut than for taking down pictures. How do the rest of you address requests for more (taken, but unpublished) pictures?
Sometimes I'll look back and add a couple more that didn't quite make my cut.
Sometimes they want specific shots, that I feel just didn't work. In which case if I really don't like it, no one gets to see it.
(In at least one case, I couldn't even find the picture they wanted, which means it was deleted on the camera, which I tend to only do for undoubtedly unusable pictures. (significantly and unartistically over/under exposed or misfocused, wardrobe problem, etc.))

Do any photographers have horror stories about models being too picky?
Yes! More than one case of people wanting none or just one or two pictures from a shoot to be kept. Most of those times, checking with other friends of mine, they agree the additional pictures I wanted to post were not unflattering or otherwise problematic.

Last edited by SpookyElectric : 03-04-2010 at 04:32 AM.
SpookyElectric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #47
CPU
that photographer guy

I've never been asked to take a shot down, but I certainly would if asked. I've had plenty of comments about how the shots were better than the cosplayer expected (ah, so many with low self esteem).

I have lost two shots, couldn't find them for the life of me, so I felt bad but told the cosplayers in question and apologised. The most common reason I wouldn't post a shot is because it's too similar to those I've already did post.

I had one girl "pop out" of her cosplay, so I waited until she hiked her corset back up. I'd never knowing take an ecchi shot.

No Prima Donna as yet, although Jan Kurotaki (her of New Type) royally kicked my ass good and proper, but I deserved it, I failed as the photographer, so she had every right (sorry Jan).

Photos Here
http://www.DigViz.com

Last edited by CPU : 03-03-2010 at 06:01 PM.
CPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 05:16 AM   #48
ShiiNaKotoki

Thank you for opening such a thread, it's immensely helpful~~^^

Okay! I have a questions for fellow photographers!

How will you photographers react to suggestions & request that is not really your style of photographing?

For my next photoshoot, I would like to have the shots based on a poem that I've written~~^^ My character is basically a bride-to-be & the poem's theme is about marriage, so to me the combination is relevant~~

But now I am not so sure whether this will work out XXXD Since this is the first time I work with him & my idea is rather difference from his style XXXD

Thank you & have a nice day <3
ShiiNaKotoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #49
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

[quote=ShiiNaKotoki;3351384]
How will you photographers react to suggestions & request that is not really your style of photographing?

There are times when a photographer has total freedom to do his or her style, but when there are clients involved, it is our job to create the vision of our clients, even if it is different than what we normally would do.

Personally, I don't mind at all to mix ideas of cosplayers with my own. It presents an opportunity to broaden or expand my repertoire. It is fine for me to take photos of the cosplayer's ideas, even if the ideas, in my opinion, are not as good as mine, or even bad. Sometimes the ideas might work better than I thought. Also, at the very least, it makes the cosplayer feel better that I tried their style. Then, I would try to do it my way as well.

Last edited by brucer007 : 03-07-2010 at 04:16 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #50
maulrat
cabusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiiNaKotoki View Post

If you have a certain concept, you should go fishing for a photographer that would fit your needs in order to achieve your vision.

If you don't have a certain concept in mind then it is understandable that you go fishing for the photographer based on his style of work and let him do his thang

I work both ways.
maulrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #51
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiiNaKotoki View Post
Thank you for opening such a thread, it's immensely helpful~~^^

TEXTALANCHE!
Thank you & have a nice day <3
A photographer is likely to interpret the theme of the shoot based on his/her own vision, so style becomes rather amorphous.

If a photographer is reduced to copying the style of another .... well IMHO, that doesn't make him/her an artist... just a technician.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #52
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Here's one that's been getting me, now that I've been looking around at stuff in preperation for con season:

There's all sorts of makeup products out there, primers especially, that are designed to color-correct your skin for the camera. Do you photogs ever notice the difference in this regard? Do you guys feel that these kinds of products are "necessary" when some color corrections are basically standard in photoshop post-processing? Do you guys have any interest/knowledge of these sorts of products as far as how they effect the camera? For either a private, set-up shoot, or for con snapshots.

Just curious
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #53
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Having the proper makeup will ensure that you will look your best in photos. You can't depend that photographers will touch up things you did not correct.

Makeup Primers are good to use under makeup to help it look good for a longer period of time. You will require less touch-ups.

Color-correcting skin can help you look better in photos and in person. If you have red, blotchy areas or pimples, some red neutralizer will even this out. Dark circles under the eyes can also be reduced by using the proper concealer.

For foundation, generally it is best to us one which matches the natural color of the your skin as close as possible. Then it will be less noticable. If the character you are cosplaying needs a different color foundation, then it will look more real if you carefully blend it into your scalp-line and taper it down your neck until it fades below the neck-line of your costume. Be aware that foundation can rub off onto your costume.

Last edited by brucer007 : 03-15-2010 at 06:15 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #54
Elemental
I do that photo thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
...Do you guys feel that these kinds of products are "necessary" when some color corrections are basically standard in photoshop post-processing?
Be careful on the assumption of standard, as all photogs have different styles and opinions when it comes to post processing. For a very long time I only made global changes to images in lightroom, which would not adjust for redness, blochyness, or the like. Skin requires it's own set of edits that aren't inherently part of the process, and proper makeup is always, always a better idea than hoping the photographer you don't know is decent at photoshop, whether it's for a snapshot or a full shoot.
(Your mileage per photog will vary, but that's why knowing their work helps).

As far as what they do, yes, I'm pretty familiar with with makeup products (since I've completely changed my skintone a few times now) but I don't think it's needed for a photog to know what your makeup does, especially primers, and colour corrections. Once you have it applied, it's just the canvas he's photographing. They're not really affecting the camera so much as they're affecting your skin, and proper application is the model's responsibility. @brucer007's tips are spot on; blending is really important or you end up with a line where your makeup ends.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #55
Harra Arial
Phoenix Wright Fanatic

As a Cosplayer who has only worked with about two Photographers on seperate occasions:

Do you prefer when the model comes up with all the pose ideas, and the "theme" of the photos and directs your work for you, or do you prefer to suggest the poses, theme, and the like for the photos?

Also, who do you think should get the photos first, the model, or someone else? And who do you prefer to decide which photos are to keep and which are to toss? Yourself, or the model? Or is it a joint effort?

Thank you kindly~

That, my dears, is why life is so exciting, because we are different from one-another.

~~~

Care to get in contact with me?
HarraArial@yahoo.com
Drop me an Instant Messenge, I'd be honoured to speak with you~
Harra Arial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #56
maulrat
cabusi

Kinda piggy-backing on brucer007 and Elemtantal, I agree with them on the fact that good makeup helps. In my case, it helps a whole-hellova-lot. I seem to love retouching/portrait type work. Blotchy red patches of the skin are tough to work with. Even if the skin is smoothed out, the pinkness is usually still there and pain to correct. Many photogs I know don't even bother trying to correct it because it isn't easy. That being said, I wish I knew more about makeup to give you some advice on what to buy. It sounds like primers are great for cons because they seem to last long. Just try to get your base makeup as even as possible. Oh, and like Elemental said, be mindful of that line where your makeup begins and ends. Try your best to match your makeup with your natural skin color. We do notice
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #57
maulrat
cabusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harra Arial
Do you prefer when the model comes up with all the pose ideas, and the "theme" of the photos and directs your work for you, or do you prefer to suggest the poses, theme, and the like for the photos?
Collaboration is the way I roll unless either I or the cosplayer/s preplan the shoot.

Quote:
Also, who do you think should get the photos first, the model, or someone else?
Who should get the photos first? Do you mean should the photog give the photos straight to the coslayer at the end of the shoot? I never do this. If you meant, who should get the photos after processing, then of course the cosplayer.

Quote:
And who do you prefer to decide which photos are to keep and which are to toss? Yourself, or the model? Or is it a joint effort?
I almost always decide what to keep or toss because I'm the one who processes the photos. I initially see every photo then make my selection on which gets processed. For a full blown photo shoot (50+ photos), I usually process what I like then offer the cosplayer the left over hi-res jpgs to do what they please.
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #58
Elemental
I do that photo thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harra Arial View Post
It's usually a combined effort. It's always great to work with a model who has a stack of poses and ideas in mind for the shoot, be it mood or theme - at the same time, I do have a certain look to my photos myself, and I want to make sure what I take is something I can be proud of as well.
Most often though, my models don't have a lot in mind for a shoot, which means I do a lot of preplanning and research so that I can give ideas and suggestions for poses and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harra Arial View Post
Also, who do you think should get the photos first, the model, or someone else? And who do you prefer to decide which photos are to keep and which are to toss? Yourself, or the model? Or is it a joint effort?
If by get you mean post, that's the photographer's right for first uploads, unless otherwise agreed upon beforehand. The photos are the photographers, not the models, and distribution is always up to the photographer. Thankfully the cosplay community is wonderfully laid back about photo sharing.

As far as photo selection goes: even with paid shoots I choose what images get posted to my site - though in consideration to the models I usually post every image that 'turns out' because what I consider a flattering photo they may not like, and vice versa. This gives them the most choice without stripping away the work I've done because they 'don't like how they look'. I've worked with awesome people who, cosplayers or no, are not anywhere near comfortable with themselves or how they really look, and have watched great photos be nixed because they didn't like one part. That doesn't mean I won't remove a photo that someone is uncomfortable with, but I'm not fond of mass deletions simply because my model crossed their obi wrong or thinks they smile funny.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #59
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

I've been asked by friends to take shoots down and I've done that for them.

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #60
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterwish View Post
I've been asked by friends to take shoots down and I've done that for them.
me too, and not just a few pictures from the shoot, but the entire photoshoot mann..
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote