Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 03-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
wolf_chan
o3o

Binding: Long term effects?

Hey there everyone. Since I'm a total newb when it comes to cosplay, and even crossplay for that matter I want everyone's opinion on this.
I have some crossplays planned out, and since I'm a 38C, borderline D. I have to bind.
So, anyways. I explained this to my mom so she wouldn't think I hurt myself when I came home with Ace bandages, haha. She of course flipped out saying binding my chest was going to 'cause problems since I have a large chest, and ect. (She said I'd get cancer, what really? >_>)
So, I tried to pull the excuse there's lots of large chested girls out there who bind, even average sized, and small chested girls.

What's everyone's opinion on this? I mean, I know you're not supposed to wear Ace bandages for extended periods of time, if you do that, you need a proper binder, ect. But yeah.
wolf_chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
KawaiiKitt

Hmm...
Binding isn't really harmful, at least in my opinion...like I've never experienced anything bad happen and I bind alot...
But then again I have like B-cups so I'm not in the same position as you are, but I really don't think its harmful...
KawaiiKitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

The only time I had an issue was when I opted for layering sports bras instead of my usual medical/sport tape. It killed my back after only a few hours. Since then I've invested in a compression shirt, and for lower cut cosplays I still use the tape method. I've never had any issues with them at all.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

It will only ever really affect you if you bind every single day for many years. And what changes is just the fat, so you might get saggy boobs at most. Again, that is if you do it for a long time, all the time and tightly.

Otherwise, there really isn't any short or long term affects within the basic cosplay world. At most there is the chance of discomfort due to improper use of materials or heat etc. But most of the time nothing ever serious, especially if you take care of yourself.

So yup, for a couple times a year...you will be just fine

(Of course there are exceptions if you have a prexisting condition of some sort, but I am talking about healthy chests at the moment)

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's

Last edited by EgnirysFaye : 03-06-2010 at 10:02 PM.
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
griffti6

i would say use back-brace...what my roommates at katsucon had and it worked great for cheap price ...atleast thats what they say, i dont have boobs so dont know how well it works ^_^

e/ to be on topic, i doubt there are any effects if not over binding and compress something thats not suppose to be...i would say its the same as tucking to be honest :\ ...but once again, dont have boobs
Unread 03-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

It's no more "harmful" than wearing a properly-fitted corset the same amount of time.

Sure, if you have a 30" waist and try to wear a 19" corset with no training, you're going to hurt and cause problems for yourself - just the same as you can bind badly or incorrectly.

Cancer is cells growing where they're not supposed to. I don't see any medical reason why light to moderate pressure would cause this, but I'm not an expert.

I wouldn't use ACE at ALL. It's just dumb, and you can buy wide elastic bands for cheap. You CAN hurt yourself using ACE, even for under an hour of wear.

Honestly, I would guess that your mother has other issues with the idea of you dressing as a boy - not any actual issue with health worries.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
☆ KEITA
Pokémon Master

Well with binding with elastics or something that wraps around you, I haven't faced any harm or damage.

BINDING WITH TAPE however, has left me some scars, that's only because I somehow pinched my skin while putting it on. Pulling it off, it ripped off some skin and now I have some permanent brown spots on the area under my arm. x:

Upcoming Cosplay
WWWl Stocking MALE VER (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)
WWWl Horohoro TOURNAMENT VER (Shaman King)
WWWl Vivi (Luminous Arc)
WWWl Syaoran (Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle)
☆ KEITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
cdaja

EgnirysFaye has it right. I previously identified as transsexual, so I've done a fair amount of research on binding... Binding properly won't cause any actual harm. Binding for a very long time (like all day every day for several years) will cause some break down in the tissue, causing some sagginess. But that's really all there is. It won't cause cancer, and binding a few times a year isn't going to do any harm at all.

So enjoy your crossplaying!
cdaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
wolf_chan
o3o

thanks for the advice everyone. I might check into those elastics. ;;
and @Kelley, I don't she has a problem with me dressing as a boy, since I normally wear guys clothes a lot of the time. (They're more comfortable than girls clothes. >_>) It's just she thinks the whole thing in itself is stupid.
wolf_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
jounink
Holla!

binding compresses your rib cage. If the binding (ex. ace bandage) is too tight, your lungs can't fully expand, thus possibly causing erratic or labored breathing. The result is passing out.
Like others have said, Its really only harmful if you over do it or do it consistantly over a very long period of time. It also can cause your back to ache because you are reducing pressure in the muscle under the bound area. That pressure is then re-routed elsewhere on your back, usually the lower lumbar area or shoulders. Extended use (over a lonooong time) may cause muscle atrophy. I usually loosen my bandages periodically or completely remove them and just wear a sports bra.

Last edited by jounink : 03-16-2010 at 01:30 PM.
jounink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
Squall_009
Top Dog

Cool Advice From a girl who does drag and Crossplay

I used to have a double D chest though I lost weight and now I am a b or c cup. I learned to bind from FTM Transexuals and Drag kings as well as other crossplayers. First off ACE will hurt you, everyone uses it first and it is bad. It slips and it cuts off circulation, I've almost fainted a few times.
Gonna list a few tips and medical things for you now.
1. never bind below your diaphragm that is the area below your ribs always let your lower rips be out from under the binding.
2. Use the wide bandages meant for rib wrapping to clean up the look of your binding not ace. Bell Horn sells these they are non adhesive and close with little metal do-hickeys
3. When you do have the Cash try to get a binder at Underworks or T- kingdom
4. While waiting for said cash I always used a backbrace also known as abdominal support bandage though its nice to have a "boob buddie" as I say to help you into it.
5. Always let yourself rest if you feel lightheaded, you should only feel like you're wearing a tight sports bra not in pain or struggling to breathe
6. PUSH THE BOOBS DOWN AND TO THE SIDES! this prevents them from pushing into a uni-boob and not giving you the flatness you want, also it relieves the pressure alot.

Also about the cancer or whatnot. Among Transexuals and those who bind constantly you can get fatty masses from the compression but thats very unlikely unless you do this everyday. Hell athletes get them from wearing sports bras.

The only time binding will hurt you is if you bind too tight or you bind to low.
Metrocon 09: Hetalia- ( England- Plain and Revolution), Gundam wing (duo maxwell)

Cosplay Making in Progress
Arthur kirkland (hetalia): 10 %
Arthur kirkland revolution: 5 %
Squall_009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 02:08 AM   #12
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_009 View Post
Gonna list a few tips and medical things for you now.
1. never bind below your diaphragm that is the area below your ribs always let your lower rips be out from under the binding.
2. Use the wide bandages meant for rib wrapping to clean up the look of your binding not ace. Bell Horn sells these they are non adhesive and close with little metal do-hickeys
3. When you do have the Cash try to get a binder at Underworks or T- kingdom
4. While waiting for said cash I always used a backbrace also known as abdominal support bandage though its nice to have a "boob buddie" as I say to help you into it.
5. Always let yourself rest if you feel lightheaded, you should only feel like you're wearing a tight sports bra not in pain or struggling to breathe
6. PUSH THE BOOBS DOWN AND TO THE SIDES! this prevents them from pushing into a uni-boob and not giving you the flatness you want, also it relieves the pressure alot.

The only time binding will hurt you is if you bind too tight or you bind to low.
I second this 100%

You also don't want to bind too loose either! Because if you do, it'll come undone and slip to your stomach and put the pressure there. I myself have had that happen, and it was not a pleasant experience. And train before wearing binding to a con! It'll do you good!

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
ShadowYin-Yang
JRPG Obsessed

I frankly think wearing 2 sports bras for an entire day does more damage!
Well no damage really but it HURT!!!

My personal experience, I've had no problem. The only thing that can really go wrong is if you bind too tightly and have trouble breathing.

Otherwise, like other people have stated before this: a weekend's worth of binding really shouldn't be a problem.
ShadowYin-Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
Aleiki

Wholeheartedly agree with everything that's been said already.

There are also a few great threads around here that will go into detail about safety.

My mom actually helped me make a "corset" type of thing for my crossplay. Occasionally I have a bit of trouble breathing naturally, and when my mom tied this corset at first I kind of panicked because it was way too tight and I felt like I couldn't breathe at all. It was loosened the next time, but I had that thing on for a good ten minutes the first time and as long as I was focusing on breathing through my stomach and not my chest it was fine.

And of course there are methods that tend to tear the skin, but if you do it right and have the right kind of skin there shouldn't be an issue. (And it's not like the tape pulls a Pyramid Head and rips all seven layers off. If some skin tears, it's usually not a big deal.) There was an athletic binding that I tried when I first started binding, and all that did was stick to itself, get tangled, and frustrate me. If you're going to do athletic tapes, work with something non-sticky and wide. (I think there's a binding for horses that works well? I haven't personally tried it but maybe it's awesome. Dunno.)
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #15
Eiashian
Air Pirate E

I second the things mentioned here :3.

I would recommend going for a compression shirt. I'm also a large chested girl, and have used ace bandages and I always run into issues. I have trouble breathing, and ace bandages will tighten over time so it can become dangerous (I've actually heard of people accidentally breaking ribs this way x.x...). So compression shirts are worth the money and much more effective :3.

Cosplays in progress:

Demon form Rin - 50%
Battletorn Levi - 80%
Interrogation Levi - 70%
Angel form Stocking - 50%

Props in progress :

3D Maneuver Gear
Rin's Katana 30% *eventually LED
Stocking's sword 30% *eventually LED

Eiashian is offline   Reply With Quote