Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #46
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

I also carry a physical portfolio with me (cuz sometimes it's awkward to open up the laptop) + additionally my family is always bugging me for new photos they can keep...so having the option to print (at least) 5x7's myself is a consideration. But I certainly don't think it's the photographer's duty to supply printed copies for free - just the ability to contact a photographer for the high res files later is great. ^_-

Unread 03-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #47
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
As a *sometimes* photographer, I must ask.

Do cosplayers get embarrassed or offended when photographers photoshop out certain traits? Distinguishing moles, scars, birthmarks, tattoos, piercings?

What about when it goes farther, such as skin blurring and body morphing?
As a cosplayer, I don't mind if a photographer photoshops out certain things from my skin. Like moles, scars, piercings... stuff like that. But I would prefer they leave the one that's under my eye alone. I personally think I wouldn't look like myself without it (even though I'd be portraying a character that will look nothing like me).

When it comes to skin blurring and body morphing... NO. I'd like my body to stay the same, that applies to my skin (blemishes and stuff like that I don't mind being gone though).

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #48
SmartGem

T-this is interesting..

1. I'm usually the designated photographer for my cosplay group...so I never really get a chance to get a photoshoot of the cosplays that I put so much effort into making...
So I actually get really excited when a photographer asks if they can give me a mini-shoot.

2. That said...I'm not very experienced in posing myself...I'm too used to posing others. ;~; Please help me pose! I understand from your point of view, man~ XD

3. Photoshop is rather interesting...I don't have piercings or beauty marks...so I guess I can't really say I know how a person who does have those things would feel. >.> As a photographer, my policy is to just mess with the lighting to accent the more natural qualities. And I also agree with the comment about how the skin should be neutral. Yes! It really SHOULD be the last thing the eye focuses in on. ^^

4. You want to give me a photoshoot, but don't know much about the series or my character? Not a problem~ I don't think a photographer should know every single anime/manga/video game out there. Oh, lordy.... that's wayyy too demanding. Personally, I just give a brief summary of my character...and possibly a small request. For example: My character is hyperactive, and slightly perverted. Please make me look cute. ^^

5. This...wasn't really asked...but I also think not only personality should matter..but also the mood of the photo. So by letting the photographer know that the series is a comedy, romance, action, horror, sad, 1940s, 3012, etc...is a good way to help the photographer to understand what the overall ambiance he/she should be going for.

6. And the last thing I'll get onto before I pass out....is character vs. cosplayer appearance. Oh snap. So um...yeah...I know that a lot of cosplayers cosplay characters that are not their height. This can be solved! Angles are magical. Yes...angels are magical too...but so can angles! If you're not as short as the character you are cosplaying, just let the cosplayer know that you're character is supposed to be short. By taking photos from a slightly higher angle, you can look much shorter. The same thing with a short cosplayer, cosplaying a tall character. By taking photos from the lower base and taking a shot angled upwards, the person can look much taller. But yeah...all that was unnecessary... POINT IS....just talk to your photographer. Chances are...they know some neat tricks here and there. ^^

So um...yeah......
Cosplayers create cosplays. Photographers take photos. Cosplays and Photos are both art. As Artists, you should respect other artists. Cosplayers and Photographers both deserve equal respect! Please, don't forget that!
Thank you....and good night...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
SmartGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #49
Trowa Al

Question for the cosplayers: We know that cosplayers get disappointed when photographers don't take your picture (they didn't see you, they were busy, you were busy, your costume(s) isn't as recognized as others, etc.) But when a photographer does takes your picture, like a few, but takes more of other cosplayers, do you feel satisfied that your picture was taken? Or do you feel that more should've been taken of your costume? Would you ask a photographer to take more of you if you wanted more pictures?
Trowa Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #50
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowa Al View Post
Question for the cosplayers: We know that cosplayers get disappointed when photographers don't take your picture (they didn't see you, they were busy, you were busy, your costume(s) isn't as recognized as others, etc.) But when a photographer does takes your picture, like a few, but takes more of other cosplayers, do you feel satisfied that your picture was taken? Or do you feel that more should've been taken of your costume? Would you ask a photographer to take more of you if you wanted more pictures?
Honestly, it depends on the circumstances of the situation. If I'm wandering around a con and a random photographer passerby stops me for a shot (or 2 or 5 or however many), I'm flattered, gracious, and do my best to work well with them, whether my costume/character is popular or not. I figure if they want to take a picture of me, there's something about me that they like, whether its the character, the costume, or even if they're just doing it out of politeness. I don't need or care to know their particular motivation in order to give them a pose and a smile. Cons are busy, and a photographer can't spend 30 minutes on every person they meet. If they let me know where the photos will be posted, that's cool. If not, so what? Maybe they don't intend to post them online, and just like to take pictures. It doesn't bother me. I am generally drawn to undercosplayed and obscure characters, so for me to then complain about not getting attention would be silly!

If, on the other hand, I had made an agreement with a photographer for a 30 minute photoshoot and the photographer took a few quick snaps and took off after 10 minutes, or if a photographer I had made an agreement with decided that my tag-along friend was a more interesting subject and snubbed me in favor of photographing that person, then yeah, I'd be perturbed, as it's rude to go back on an agreement without a good reason. I once agreed to a photoshoot with 2 other friends, who were male. The photographer was not a particularly adept one, but he really wanted to shoot us and we did it as a favor to him. The photographer took about 5-10 shots of the group or individual shots of the two guys, and the proceeded to take about 50 of me solo, while the two guys stood around waiting, bored and hungry. I was quite uncomfortable with the total lack of regard for other people's time, but the photographer was a friend of one of the other guys in the photoshoot, and I didn't want to upset anybody by speaking out about it.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #51
PsychoLove
Zombie Aeris

Quote:
I would never ask a photographer to take more of me. It's their camera, it's their memory, and their work uploading. If they wanted more shots of me, they would have taken more, at least that's what I think.

If I don't get many pictures, it generally makes me feel kind of bad about my costume... I feel like even if the character isn't recognizable, the costume should still be beautiful enough to draw some sort of attention... and I obviously failed if no one likes me D:

Lol... but, it also spurs me to do better next year ^^;

www.moonsquid-illustration.com

Recently Completed:
The Nightmare Before Christmas: Sally
Princess Mononoke: San
Final Fantasy IV: Rydia (2.0)
Magic Knight Rayearth: Hikaru (final armor)

IN PROGRESS:
Final Fantasy IX: General Beatrix
Sailor Moon: Princess Serenity
Twilight Princess: Princess Zelda
Legend Of Zelda: Femme Link
Madoka Magica: Charlotte
PsychoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #52
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Quote:
Question for the cosplayers: ...when a photographer does takes your picture, like a few, but takes more of other cosplayers, do you feel satisfied that your picture was taken? Or do you feel that more should've been taken of your costume? Would you ask a photographer to take more of you if you wanted more pictures?
I've been in both situations. If a photographer finds my friend more interesting, I don't take it personally. Maybe the photog likes their particular character, feels more comfortable shooting them, or whatever their reasons are.

I have had it the other way around, where I have been singled out to take more pics than my friends. It's a pretty awkward situation, but one I don't think people should take personally. Most don't.

I had one friend that would huff and puff and storm back to her hotel room when she felt I had more pics taken than her. I never blamed this on myself or the photographer... and as sympathetic as I tried to be to my friend, I think it was a particular issue that my friend had. You can't make everyone happy sometimes.
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #53
Fremen
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLove View Post
I would never ask a photographer to take more of me. It's their camera, it's their memory, and their work uploading. If they wanted more shots of me, they would have taken more, at least that's what I think.;
Its really fascinating hearing how people think. In another thread, a cosplayer complained about some photographer who took too many pictures of her. That creeped her out. In fact, after reading that thread, when I was at ALA, I consciously chose not to take too many pictures of any one person because of that reason! Sometimes you need to take more pictures because what I do is take a few pictures, then check them and if I notice something wasn't quite right like the exposure wasn't right or someone was in the background ruining the shot or whatever...then I would love to take another picture. But at that point I think I've already taken 3 or 4, and they probably want to go on to whatever they were walking to so I rarely ask to take more.
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #54
PsychoLove
Zombie Aeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremen View Post
Its really fascinating hearing how people think. In another thread, a cosplayer complained about some photographer who took too many pictures of her. That creeped her out. In fact, after reading that thread, when I was at ALA, I consciously chose not to take too many pictures of any one person because of that reason! Sometimes you need to take more pictures because what I do is take a few pictures, then check them and if I notice something wasn't quite right like the exposure wasn't right or someone was in the background ruining the shot or whatever...then I would love to take another picture. But at that point I think I've already taken 3 or 4, and they probably want to go on to whatever they were walking to so I rarely ask to take more.
I totally understand the taking of many pictures! I mean, not only do you have to check to make sure lighting it correct, but lots of pictures is lots to choose from, and the more likely you are to get something really awesome!

www.moonsquid-illustration.com

Recently Completed:
The Nightmare Before Christmas: Sally
Princess Mononoke: San
Final Fantasy IV: Rydia (2.0)
Magic Knight Rayearth: Hikaru (final armor)

IN PROGRESS:
Final Fantasy IX: General Beatrix
Sailor Moon: Princess Serenity
Twilight Princess: Princess Zelda
Legend Of Zelda: Femme Link
Madoka Magica: Charlotte
PsychoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #55
Jim3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
I have had it the other way around, where I have been singled out to take more pics than my friends. It's a pretty awkward situation, but one I don't think people should take personally. Most don't.

I had one friend that would huff and puff and storm back to her hotel room when she felt I had more pics taken than her. I never blamed this on myself or the photographer... and as sympathetic as I tried to be to my friend, I think it was a particular issue that my friend had. You can't make everyone happy sometimes.
This is sometimes an awkward situation. Like when wandering around a convention and seeing a group of cosplayers. The question is how to avoid any problems. Often times I would like to shoot everyone individually, but that isn't always practical if the group is more than a few people. One plan might be to shoot each person sequentially, which might be time consuming / disruptive. Another idea might be to shoot only a few of them, or get group photos and then individuals of a subset of the group. Sometimes I find myself avoiding sufficiently large groups of cosplayers just because of this situation.

I have also noticed that a lot of cosplayers on here really like the idea of doing a photoshoot with a photographer. What's the best way to find out if they are interested? Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is interested in more or less photos. (ok, usually it's easier to tell if they want less...) Usually I avoid asking people to do photo shoots because I think it will inconvenience them too much. Then I read stuff here about some people clamoring for photo shoots. (or as Fremen mentioned, people who don't like that much attention)

Maybe I need a name tag sticker that says "ask me if you want a photo shoot" or something.
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #56
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvK View Post
The corner doesn't have to stay dark.

Unrelatedly, CPU mentioned prints in "Ask a Photographer", which makes me ask, are cosplayers interested in physical copies of their photos, the kind that can be framed or hung on a wall?
Nah. I have tons of prints and papers of various sorts lying around my room already from art classes; I wouldn't have anywhere to put them.
Quote:
If it's just con snapshots? Nah, I'd just be glad they decided to photo me at all.

If I'm paying for a photoshoot, though, I expect to get my money's worth- the photographer should at least make an effort to photograph everyone equally if everyone paid for that time (if one person paid for everyone, though, then I could reasonably see taking more pics of that person). I know myself and I'm probably too timid to actually make a fuss about it if it ever happened, but I can say I'd be miffed.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #57
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

Quote:
I would never ask a photographer to take more pictures of me. They are being nice wanting to photograph me at all. I usually hold the bags while photographers photograph the people I'm with, haha. Used to it. It hurts a little, but I understand why. I don't take it personally.

Unless I was paying for a shoot or reserved time with a group. Things should be done equally in that case (unless I was dressed as a really tertiary character or something).
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #58
Vash_Fanatic
Sewious Bwuisness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3535 View Post
I have also noticed that a lot of cosplayers on here really like the idea of doing a photoshoot with a photographer. What's the best way to find out if they are interested? Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is interested in more or less photos. (ok, usually it's easier to tell if they want less...) Usually I avoid asking people to do photo shoots because I think it will inconvenience them too much. Then I read stuff here about some people clamoring for photo shoots. (or as Fremen mentioned, people who don't like that much attention)

Maybe I need a name tag sticker that says "ask me if you want a photo shoot" or something.
Never be afraid to ask a cosplayer if they are interested in doing a photoshoot. In all honesty, if they don't want the shoot, they will just let you know right off the bat. If they do, they grasp the window of opportunity to do it. However, be careful during the shoot. Sometimes, it feels a little weird being asked by someone to do a photoshoot and then having them take a whole bunch of pictures and what not. Just a few are usually good. In the middle, ask if they want to shoot some more and see what they say. When I was asked for the first time, I went along with the idea cause I thought it would be fun! I appreciated the fact that someone liked my work. He was shooting for about 10 mins and then asked if I wanted to do some more. I just declined and he was perfectly ok with it.

Key is: just don't be awkward and weird about it. Prepare for rejection or acceptance. But never be afraid to approach.

As for the whole friend situation....that gets a little hairy. But it is not the photographer who they should blame. Don't worry guys, you are in the clear. The friend or person in the group probably just takes things too seriously and that needs to be worked out by themselves.

Costume Log
Secret Tunnel<--Avatar: The Last Airbender Nomads
Commissions! PM me!
Tutorials and Moar Here! :3 Facebook? Add me
Vash_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #59
arijahn
More red fabric!

Quote:
What's the best way to find out if they are interested? Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is interested in more or less photos. (ok, usually it's easier to tell if they want less...) Usually I avoid asking people to do photo shoots because I think it will inconvenience them too much.
Please just ask! If the person is a relatively new cosplayer like myself, they may be a bit surprised by the request, but I would certainly be flattered. I am thrilled whenever someone thinks highly enough of my costume to ask to photograph it. Unless I'm running late for something, I would be totally happy to stop for pics. As for the group thing, my anime club tends to all cosplay from the same series. If someone wants to single out one of the members, we're totally cool with it. We actually often congratulate that member when they return to the group, since we all watched each other put the effort into our outfits.

To answer, previous questions:
Unless I have somewhere to be, asking to move to another location would be perfectly fine with me. To avoid the "creepyness" factor, I would feel a lot more comfortable if the photographer gave a specific destination when they ask, like "it's really crowded here, would it be alright with you if we move to the fountain over there/the gazebo on the second floor?" That, and I might ask to have a friend come with me to hold my bags/make sure my costume is on straight.

And as some people have already said, I would love it if the photographer would give me posing tips. I can't see through the lens like you can, let me know what I can do to improve the shot! Also, even if you aren't familiar with the character please let the cosplayer know if something looks off- bra strap showing, roots visible under the wig, lipstick marks on teeth. If anything, I'd be relieved that you let me know!
arijahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #60
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Here's a question for cosplayers:

If a photographer asks for you to pose next to (or on) a vehicle (cars, motorcyles, etc.) that doesn't belong to either of you, but you happen to be there, are you hesitant to pose next to it or all-for-it cos it would look cool in the picture? Examples:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2417618/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2085617/

I sometimes ask cosplayers to pose next to parked vehicles that go with their costumes, and if there are license-plates showing I try not to have the #'s showing or get someone to photoshop it out.

How do you feel about posing next to a stranger's vehicle(s) for cosplay pictures?
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote