Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Velocirapper
The Graceful Assassin

Wigs for Big Heads?

Ahoy Cosplayers!
I have kind of an interesting problem (or at least I think so...).
Sooo, being 6 foot 3, I have a really big head. None of the wigs at my local costume shop fit properly. Naturally I'm wondering what I can do to find wigs for fat heads like me?
Velocirapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

Well, it's been said New Look wigs have a bigger radius for those of us with big heads. Also, you could just cut the elastic band on both sides of the wig and sew in place longer pieces of elastic in it's place. Worked for me and I have a puff-top.
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Arda Wigs are specifically made for cosplayers w/ larger heads &/or people with long/thick hair. The wig nets in all of her styles are larger than average.
http://kingdom-arts.org/arda-wigs.html

(...Just a warning that if you intend to do intensive spike styling, though, these wigs are not really for a beginner and require a bit of practice and previous experience. However, if you can use any of the pre-existing styles, they are fantastic out of the bag.)
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

My husband has an unnaturally large head (25" around), and he has very long, thick hair that needs to fit under any wig he wears. We've found a few that fit him, and as was said before, Arda wigs are specially made for people with large heads.

Our best resource so far has been Amphigory.com. They have slow shipping, but each wig has a size measurement (imagine that it can stretch about 3" more than the size listed for an elastic band wig) as well as a little review of the wig.

The best styles so far for large heads have been the Sepia wigs, which Cosworx also sells. New Look is also good, but sometimes I have to pin the bobby pins and hairpins in really tight to keep those on him.

My absolute favorite for large heads is "Perfect" by Sepia. It's roomy and styles well for a lot of characters. You probably don't want to spike it, but any medium or short style that isn't spiked looks great in that wig. It's very thick.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Velocirapper
The Graceful Assassin

Spiking/anything fancy won't be necessary, need one for Time-Skip Viral and another for Stungun Milly. Will check out all sites listed, thanks!
Velocirapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

I'm very glad Yui posted that link since I was thinking to myself how they should make a Punky wig with longer hair on top and, bam, there it is. Thaaaaank you.
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Also the Cosworx exclusive wigs are also a but bigger then the New Look ones as well.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Rikuzue
Dwrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
My husband has an unnaturally large head (25" around), and he has very long, thick hair that needs to fit under any wig he wears. We've found a few that fit him, and as was said before, Arda wigs are specially made for people with large heads.

Our best resource so far has been Amphigory.com. They have slow shipping, but each wig has a size measurement (imagine that it can stretch about 3" more than the size listed for an elastic band wig) as well as a little review of the wig.

The best styles so far for large heads have been the Sepia wigs, which Cosworx also sells. New Look is also good, but sometimes I have to pin the bobby pins and hairpins in really tight to keep those on him.

My absolute favorite for large heads is "Perfect" by Sepia. It's roomy and styles well for a lot of characters. You probably don't want to spike it, but any medium or short style that isn't spiked looks great in that wig. It's very thick.
I actually have the same size head as your husband [my head is larger than my waist x.x] and I found the Sepia "Perfect" to be smaller than the Cosworx wigs I've order. Well wearing the "Perfect" it felt like it was constantly sliding up. As for the Cosworx wig I have [Scruffy, Willow and Amanda] they've all fitted quite comfortably without having the feeling that they'll fall off. I also found the Cosworx's wigs to be alot softer than the Sepia one I have.
Rikuzue is offline   Reply With Quote