Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Snyder
Photojournalist

Looking for feedback

Im looking for some feedback from my latest cosplay photoshoot. All of the photos were takin on the fly no scheduled locations or cosplayers, if that was the case my photos would have been more dynamic with scenery and such anyways. I focused on portraits with natural light only one photo was lit using a strobe. Feedback of any photo would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/178656/
Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
FiveRings

It would be easier if you could pick a couple specific photos that you think are the best examples of your work and that you'd like critique on.
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Snyder
Photojournalist

If I was to pick id say these,

1) http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2502167/

2) http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2502143/

3) http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2502152/
Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
FiveRings

1) Nice clean shot, though I find the composition a bit bland what with the subject being dead center. I'm guessing it was just natural lighting? Either way, it's good. The column looks slightly tilted, which is a pet peeve of mine, thought it could also just be the lines playing tricks on me since the columns in the background look straight. Rotate 2 degrees counter clockwise and see how it looks. Move the cosplayer's bag out of the frame.

2) The shadows on the face are a bit harsh, but it works. Was this flash or natural light? You could consider adding a flash on camera-left to give some rim lighting and highlight the edges of the hat, similar to what's going on with the brim of the hat on the right side. Crop up just a tad to get rid of the random thumb sticking up at the bottom.

3) Good lighting on this one. You can see what a hint of rim light on the subject does by highlighting the right edges of the hair and body on the right side, which makes her stand out from the background that much more. I don't know if I'd keep the knife hand raised like that since it has no support and looks to be floating. You could either pull out a bit to show the elbow, which connects the knife hand to the rest of the arm and gives it placement, or just drop the hand and not show it. Alternatively, you could raise the arm over the head and still show the knife and rest of the arm.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!
Unread 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder View Post
I like this picture but the one thing that stands-out is the object on the ground behind the cosplayer. Are those clothes or a bag? If they belong to the cosplayer and isn't part of the costume, try to hide it so that it isn't in the shot.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
LlochNess

I like it.
LlochNess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

1) I would have turned the cosplayer around and framed the shot so that she was on the right of the frame, and the rest was looking down the row of columns. Of course you'd lose the natural light and have to replace it with some fill flash. And then the fill flash doesn't look right, so you add another for a highlight, and a couple more to light stuff you don't like, and eventually you end up with a quick shot turning into a 27-speedlight extravaganza like Joe McNally...
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote