Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 05-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
xxchemi
trust me slower is better

Photoshoot Critique Please =D

Yea, so I did some shoots with my friends and I'd like to know how to improve them, if I can =]
Heres some I'd like some critique on.

xxchemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
LoudSilence
Beware of Fangirls

You got some good shots! Good job. ^_^

But, on the third picture, the background on the boy's side is a little too blury. I like the idea of the blur, but if you do this, you should keep it more balanced or simply lighten the intensity of the effect.
And on the forth picture, the girl's face is slightly pixelated.

And as far as poses go, the only one I didn't think was great was the first one. The guy's shoulders are a little tense. But that's just my opinion. ^.^

But, other than that, the pictures are great! Awesome job!
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
FiveRings

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...6204 40_n.jpg
The crop is too tight on the left side and she seems like she's getting pushed out of the picture.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...0918 11_n.jpg
Crop is a bit tight still, but better composition. The line of the ground seems very centered and I would've liked to see a slightly higher or lower angle.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...5149 21_n.jpg
Good composition and juxtaposition.

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs261....8180 72_n.jpg
The bright empty space on the left behind the girl's head is a bit distracting. The skin processing really kills this one for me.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...69299 6_n.jpg
Again, the crop is odd and there are parts of limbs floating around the edges.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...3837 35_n.jpg
The focus is very centered. I would've liked to see that curved branch in the background used somehow in the composition.

Overall, the post processing seems rushed and sloppy. Maybe because I don't know their story, but the use of selective coloring doesn't really make sense to me as someone viewing it. It might have more significance to them perhaps. Their skin is completely desaturated in one shot and then over-saturated in another and I don't really get what you were going for. Also, most of the post processing seems very extreme and overpowers the image. You seemed to just mask out a circle area of what you wanted and then blurred it or desaturated it.
Unread 05-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I don't see any relation to cosplay in these images. I don't think they belong here, so this will be my only critique.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
aubergine

#1 - Making the colour more more vibrant in the center of this picture actually works against the intention of showing the red string. I actually had to look hard to see it. There's too much going on in terms of colour and texture between the two models to notice such a small string.
#2 - This one is much better, but the composition would have been more appealing if it weren't so symmetrical.
#3 - The blur on the boy's side is too much and makes the whole image look amateurish. As well, if the intention is to make a distinction between the two models, the almost monotonous colours isn't the way to go. This scene should have been shot in an area with more colour. Without the red string, there's no story in the image either. In the future, try to avoid such symmetrical images, as they're not as attractive as you think they are.
#4 - Blur. It's way overdone in this image. The face of the girl is pixelated and blurry. The asymmetry is done well, but the lack of anything to focus on makes me want to look away rather than at it.
#5 - I see what this image is trying to do, but I also see it failing. The boy's body is loose and the expression on the girl's face needs a lot of work. Is he pinning her to the tree? Is she happy, lustful, angry, frustrated, sad? You can't tell from either of your models what the mood is actually supposed to be. The overuse of the colour effects is starting to get a little boring now. Instead of enhancing the picture, the colours are taking away from the natural beauty of the area. It is also giving these pictures an artificial feel to them which makes me feel that the picture could have been taken anywhere. You need to learn how to incorporate the background into the image you're trying to create.
#6 - Colour again. The fact that I can see the circle around the hands is a very bad thing. I shouldn't notice that ring of sepia around the outside so easily. As well, what's the point of the string on his hand? It's not used effectively in the scene being photographed. You could take it out and the image would be the same. Again there's the same symmetry. Because the boy's shirt/hip can be seen in the right side of the picture, the cropping looks sloppy. The focus should be on the arms and hands, and other body parts take away from that.

Overall, I think a little too much effort was put into photoshopping effects into these pictures. I also agree with brucer007. I don't see the cosplay in any of these images and I don't think they belong here. You should keep personal pictures on your personal website/blog.

Cons:
Anime North (May 23-25)
ConBravo (July 18-20)
aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxchemi View Post
This picture reminded me of :

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
an episode of LOST where a couple dies.. w/o the string.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I love your spoiler, and I agree. My issue with this picture in particular (the one with the string between the hands) is that the guy's arm is in an uncomfortable-looking position (it looks twisted backward). I noticed it right off the bat. It's something you'll have to work out with models in the future. There are plenty of poses that are uncomfortable but look right, and then there are poses we don't notice are uncomfortable but that people looking at the picture will feel. Perhaps you should redo that picture and have him loosen his arm a little. I like the pose of the woman's hand and arm, though.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
FMA_Forever504

great job!!
FMA_Forever504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Flavored Ink
Mmm... Yummy.

These are very nice. But go easy on blur. I see what you're trying to do. It's a very beautiful added effect.

Cosplay In-Progress:
o Final Fantasy VII DoC: Vincent Valentine (85% complete!)
o Final Fantasy VII DoC: Cait Sith (5% complete!)

Conventions Attending:
o Anime Expo 2011
Flavored Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
ANBUwasabi
アンブ

I aint no photographer or nothing but I just thought I'd give my thoughts as a random person viewing it - i like them all the only thing is on pic 2, 3, and 4 the blur seems like too heavy =]
but you got a good creative mind for these pics in my opinion
YasumiCon
Chibi-Pa Go

[W]ork [i]n [P]rogress
Anbu Kakashi w/ some tweaks: 100(?)%

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/x...katsukisig.png <--- This Pic Contradicts My Name in 200,000 non-sequential ways.
ANBUwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
zoeoviedo

I really dislike the editing on these... it looks really bad, imo you should take a few classes on post production to get a more clean polished picture.

Fashion and cosplay can cohenside with eachother <3
http://grandtheftthrift.blogspot.com
zoeoviedo is offline   Reply With Quote