Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1183 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #1591
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Commissioner: Phantom Legacy Costumes / celestialshadow
Website/C.com gallery: www.phantomlegacycostumes.com
http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/member.php?uid=17019
Character commissioned & series/video game: Kagamine Len ~ Love is War EAGER LOVE REVENGE (shirt, gunbelts, belt, pouch, shorts, gloves, armband, tie)
Reference picture: http://mmm-gee.net/200912/clearfile2.jpg
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/284896/
Timeline (how long your order took to process): About 3 months

I began commissioning this (along with my partner's matching Rin costume in March with an August deadline for both costumes. The commissioner agreed to make one costume completely before starting the other so that my partner, entering into her first commission, could be sure of the quality/reliability of the costumes we would recieve. The cost was extremely reasonable ~ the same or less than I would have paid for a premade costume (and that price including shipping). I paid up-front by furikomi (the commissioner is also located in Japan, which made everything a thousand times smoother for both of us, I suspect).

From the start I was made to feel comfortable, respected and almost like a friend working with another friend. Never once was I unsure as to how things were progressing or did I have any doubts about the status of the deal.

Pros: I was never spoken down to. No "dear"s or "honey"s or "sweetheart"s (a pet peeve of mine). References for the somewhat obscure costume and ideas were exchanged over several emails, clarified and quotes solidified.

When fabric was chosen, swatches were sent and I was given the opportunity to choose/approve the fabric hands-on. It also gave us color swatches to work with when making accessories/props in the meantime.

Every email sent was followed up on within days and all questions/concerns were quickly addressed. If the commissioner had a problem, she emailed and asked for my advice before forging ahead on her own.

The costume was recieved in early May, 3 months earlier than deadline.

The workmanship is quite good, fabric quality is very high, the fit is just about perfect and the detail-work is amazing. Most liberties taken with the design were actually more work than they needed to be, are in good taste and look fabulous (like the rivets along the belts and the satin finish on the gloves). The shirt details and armband are spot-on and a lot of care has been taken to make them completely accurate.

When the costume arrived, it was well-packaged and included a lovely care-note and a business card with contact information, just in case I had any additional problems.

I have very little to complain about in terms of the costume I recieved or how it was recieved.

Cons: I wasn't given progress photos ~ but then again, I didn't request them (nor did I feel I wasn't given ample chance to edit the final costume when it was completed).

There are a few sloppy stitches here and there ~ but none that show on the surface or that make me concerned that pieces will unravel or fall off -- in fact, this thing looks virtually impossible to destroy!! It's remarkably well-made and functional.

The tie is rather short and the main belt is a bit fat when compared to the references sent but on hearing the trouble, she offered to make another tie a bit longer as a replacement. I'm still not completely sold on the choice of felt for the belt ~ but it does look pretty nice in photos (and it IS a piece I already own on two other Len costumes and can swap out at my leisure). Crotch-placement/tightness in the very bottom of the shorts leaves me slightly concerned for my honor :3 They fit like a charm ~ but bring me dangerously near to cameltoe-land. I had been planning to lose a bit of weight before the event in any case, which will likely free up the fit a bit there.

I'm not 100% sure how to put on all of the riveted belts :3 I'll need to ask for more specific instructions.

Comments: All in all, I'm more than pleased with how this went down. I had been slightly turned off by my other commission experiences until now and was a bit apprehensive about this one. But if everyone has a commissioner soulmate ~ this might be mine. If she's available in the future and willing to work with me, she's going to be the first I ask for just about anything.

THIS is how you run a commission business.

Hopefully I'll see her at Comiket and be able to shake her hand in the badass costume she made :3

Final Grade: A+

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 05-22-2010 at 05:23 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #1592
Saki Ree
LETS REV IT UP! :3

Name of Commissioner: Cosplay House

Website/C.com gallery:
http://www.cosplayhouse.com

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Costume: Miku Hatsune, Vocaloid

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: This is what I wanted: [link], obviously made out of vinyl-like material, very flair-y and awesome looking. And this is what I got: [link], obviously made out of satin--all satin, nothing like the picture, WAY too long D: (Gloves: [link]
)
Timeline (how long your order took to process):
Maybe a month or two? Maybe 3? I honestly don't remember. I got it last year and iddn't do this until now XD

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: Well, the costume was originally $120, but with the 70 percent off, it was $70, I think. however, the shipping was $30 friggen dollars! D: So it went up to $100.
I was so excited--I looked at the picture all the time and I couldn't wait for it to come in the mail.
However, when it did, finally, I was very disappointed. It was made out of silk-y satin. It wasn't made out of vinyl or whatever the picture was made out of. >.< It was hella long, and the top had to be for people with humungo boobs cuz it was really big. I swear, it had to be a Large and they just smacked a Small tag on there. D: The skirt measurements were WAY too small. It hid my bellybutton cuz that's where it would fit. A few things broke the day I got it (the tie, so I had to handsew it: [link], and another thing fell off, but I have no idea what the hell it is.
I was very disappointed--$100 dollars wasted. D: I did wear it to a con, though, to make my mom happy. XD

Final Grade: F
For plagiarism on the photo, material not even relatively CLOSE to the photo (plagiarized or not), pieces falling apart, and measurements.
However, I will give it an F instead of an F-, because the majority of the sewing was good.

AnimeNEXT 2011:
Judai Yuki - YuGiOh GX
WRGP!Bruno - YuGiOh 5Ds
Edward Elric - Fullmetal Alchemist

My DeviantART: *click*

Last edited by Saki Ree : 05-23-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Saki Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #1593
milk&honey
cooler than me

Name of Commissioner
--- sundancekat
Website/C.com gallery
--- http://www.sundancekat.net/
Character commissioned
--- Hizaki - Curse of Virgo Photoshoot Dress
Links to picture(s)
--- Original Dress
--- I'll update this post with pictures once I take a few.
Timeline
--- First contacted in late January, 2010. Officially commissioned a few weeks later. My deadline was May, 2010.
Describe your Experience
--- Cons: None

--- Pros: Very accurate and well made, very informative and understanding, easy to reach, reasonable prices.

--- I first apporached Katrina after desperately trying to find a reliable, but not so pricey commissioner for a quick cosplay I needed for Phoenix Comicon in May. In January I came across her website and was thrilled by her gallery of work and how close she was(shipping would be fast). She was experienced and told me every little detail about the fabric, how she would construct certain pieces, and how I wanted things done. She worked with me to create a payment plan(I'm so broke xD), and always responds quickly to any of my questions. She updated me with progress shots when I asked for them and was very nice to deal with. I received the dress a few days ago and I was so blown away by the quality of it. The poofiness that I wanted was there and it was absolutely gorgeous, it was perfect beyond words. The measurements were just right and the dress fit me nice and snug, and the lacing front gives me the opportunity to lose weight and still be able to wear the dress in the future. Perfect!
Final Grade:
--- A++

C O S P L A Y
  • dietrich, trinity blood 25%
  • seek, with pv 50%
  • screaming mantis, metal gear solid 4 40%
milk&honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #1594
D'Rose

Name of Commissioner: Uniquecreator

Website/C.com gallery" http://www.cosplay.com/member/182032

Character commissioned and series/video game: Alice's blue dress from the new Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland movie.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: full length: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547822/
close up front: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547823/
hand painted bottom: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547824/

Timeline: About 2-3 months from first contact to arrival.

Describe your Experience. Pros: Wowie I wish every comission experience was like this! I placed an add in the marketpalce and Unique answered it, eager to meet my budget and give me the best quality item that they could. Unique WORKED for me, they found the best fabrics for the job and made certain of the colours I wanted and even hand painted the bottom design of the dress for me. They were very flexible with the pricing and helped me to meet my budget, for 200 USD this is a really good quality dress, it looks and feels like a proffessional item, not just a costume. The pictures look a bit shinier then the dress actually is because of the silk underneath and also I was made a pair of matching gloves from scratch for no extra cost. They also refunded me the excess postage I had given them when the post office gave them a lower quote, I haven't comissioned anyone had the courtesy to do that before.

Cons: Um, nothing! Unique was very kind and proffessional at all times I would recommend them to anyone.

Final Grade: A++
D'Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #1595
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #1596
Saki Ree
LETS REV IT UP! :3

The link for my post for Cosplay House doesn't work on the list ^^;
Unless that's s'posed to happen? XD

AnimeNEXT 2011:
Judai Yuki - YuGiOh GX
WRGP!Bruno - YuGiOh 5Ds
Edward Elric - Fullmetal Alchemist

My DeviantART: *click*
Saki Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #1597
Tande

Name of Commissioner: Carrot Anime

Website/C.com gallery: http://carrotanime.com/store/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Assassin Cross (Ragnarok Online) Whole Costume, minus shoes and Soul Linker (Male Version, Ragnarok Online), whole costume, no shoes.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...C_0003wtmk.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...69b5370a35.jpg
I will add more pictures when I get everything ready (as in pictures of me wearing it)

Timeline (how long your order took to process):
Much too long. I got in contact in early February and just recieved the order yesterday (May 25th) More on that later...

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments
At the end of January, I asked for a quote for the first costume: Assassin Cross. I felt the price was right, especially for something that included armor, and paid for it near the beginning of February. While I'm at it I made sure to place the due date a few weeks before the convention I planned on wearing it to, just in case something ever did happen: April 23rd. In March, my hubby decided he wanted to do something at the convention as well and I ended up putting in another costume for CarrotAnime, the Soul Linker costume, with the same due date and everything: figuring they had already finished the Assassin Cross costume, the Soul Linker was just fabric and wouldn't take very much time and they could still get it to me by April 23rd: Yet the same date for both of the costumes.
Anyway, April 23rd rolls around and no sight in the finishing of the second costume: so I pop them an email asking them when they believe it will be done. A few days later they tell me they will check...and I have to email them yet AGAIN to remind them to check and I make sure to include my address, name, # since I wanted to send the package off ASAP in order to get it by May 13th (When I was leaving for the Con). Whew.
Anyway, April 29th rolls around and they finally send me pictures of the second cosplay and ask me for my address, etc, even though I had already told them it. With another waste of a day, I send it to them...again.
By the beginning of May, they say they've sent it out after asking me the exact date I need it by (...isn't that what the DUE date is for?) and promising me that it'll get here by then. A few days before I leave for the convention, I shoot them an email asking them when I should expect it, who they even shipped it by..etc. I had thought they were going to give me a tracking number...but alas, nothing. It takes them two emails: both on weekdays, to reply to my worried blah blah blah. Two days from the convention I shoot them an email...nothing, so the next day I shoot them YET another email and they finally reply to me saying it was being held by the mail for some check or something. I didn't really CARE about that, in every email I had asked them if they even thought I'd get it in time.
Anyway, long story short: I don't and the day before I leave for the convention they FINALLY tell me and offer to refund one of the costumes. I take the offer, expecting, hey, more money for the convention I don't get to wear the costumes to. I don't get the money until DAYS after I come back from the convention, and even then I have to remind them twice.
Anyway...what this has taught me: No more ordering from foreign companies. I'll stick to American goods, thank you very much, even if they are a bit pricey, at least they GET here on time.
So, the actual costume? Here we go.
The actual package I received was sort of...bent corners, looked like it'd been through the ringer a few times. Lots of tape kept it...together, really. The packaging for everything was plastic, tape, and styrofoam. More on that later...
The Soul Linker one came out wonderful, the only gripes I have is the pants are a bit tight on the legs at the bottom. That will be fixed with wear, I guess. Considering this was an all fabric costume: It was wonderful.
The Assassin Cross fabric part was wonderfully done, the only gripes I have with it is it seems like they forgot to factor in my hips (and its not like I have...much for hips). I can't "zip" it up at all. One small detail that I didn't like either that will be fixed with wear is the "buttcape" curls out a bit in the front. I'm afraid to iron it because the faux leather or whatnot on the top looks plasticy. I suppose I could try a low heat...
The Armor part though! Let's get on to that!
They made the mistake of packaging like parts together. Which at first I wouldn't think would do much but when they rubbed together while shipping: some of the paint chipped off. One of the "knife" shoe parts even broke, but was easily fixed by some k-kraaaazzzzy glue. Speaking of the "knife" shoe parts, the pointyness got sort of bent by the packaging/shipping too. They also put the shoulder parts together, which again: I wouldn't think would be the problem but the safety clips on the top one made a heavy indent on the bottom one.
The actual quality of the armor is pretty nice. Lightweight and all the buckles'n'such that keep it on the body are well done. I'll still bring my k-kraaaazzzzzzyy glue with me to the next convention, just in case.

PROs:
Cheap well constructed lightweight armor as well as fabric costumes.

CONs:
Shipping is a nightmare...including opening everything. It seems they can't hit a due date to save their lives, but from what I understand is they don't even make the costumes - they outsource it to other places in China. Sometimes their email system is shoddy and they tend to make excuses for things, but it might be from lost translation. It seems like they lie to make people happy or something: especially when all I wanted was the truth about when to expect the cosplay, what company they used, or even if they could get it done in time by the due date.

Final Grade: D
Seriously, have you ever gotten a good grade from something you turn in a month later?
Tande is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #1598
AngryFishie

Name of Commissioner: CosplaySky
Website/C.com gallery: http://cosplaysky.com/
Character commissioned and series/video game: I ordered a Sailor Pluto costume.
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: I will take photos as soon as I can.
Timeline: Roughly 2 weeks
Describe your Experience.

Pros:
The price is very reasonable in comparison to many of the other stores I looked at, the fabrics that they use are of a quality that is much higher than I expected and the actual craftsmanship of the outfit itself is fairly decent. They also have pretty decent shipping and gave me a tracking number shortly after my order was processed so I could track my shipment.

Cons:

They COMPLETELY disregarded the specific measurement requests I sent with my order. I asked for a skirt that was 14 inches long (meaning that it would go above my knee) and they made it much, much longer! I have no idea what to do either because I have no sewing machine and no knowledge of how to take in hems so it has become a sort of nightmare of an issue. Other than that the waist area of the costume is too wide and the gloves they sent me were insanely short (the entire glove barely goes to my elbows when it should be much longer).

Comments: Overall I was slightly disappointed in the product I received in comparison to the photo shown on their website. Yes they used very high quality fabrics and I did get the order within a reasonable length of time but their disregard of my measurement requests has completely turned me off. I may reorder from them again some day but I will probably be very specific with my measurements and with contacting them.

Final Grade: B-

(*Edit: Changed my grade. After Re-examining the costume carefully and finding a person locally who will help me solve the skirt length issue I'm much happier with my product.)

Last edited by AngryFishie : 05-30-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Grade changed
AngryFishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #1599
ninja_kitty143

Name of Commissioner: Chobrat
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...p/product/7374
Character commissioned and series/video game: Lyre, Fire Emblem
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Not yet; will update as they are uploaded to internet, though the pictures I have are after I had to alter the wig myself.
Timeline: 2-3 months

Pros: Quick to reply at first, easy to communicate with
Cons: Never showed me a progress picture like I asked, wig arrived close to a week late and had to be forwarded to my hotel via overnight (I said I needed the wig in 3 days before I went to the convention), refused to return even partial payment for unhappy experience, expected higher quality work for the money paid.
Comments: After receiving the wig late, and then having to modify it myself because it was unsatisfactory, I expected at least partial monetary return. I didn't expect anything above $90 (out of $150), but she refused to return even a single penny.

"The most I can give you is an apology and direct you to another stylist that might better suit your needs in the future."

Final Grade: F
ninja_kitty143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #1600
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Oops! Made a slip up with the vB code. Thanks so much for catching it! It has thus been fixed!
Unread 05-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #1601
Emilyy

Name of Commissioner: dream-cosplay
Website/C.com gallery: http://myworld.ebay.com/dream-cosplay/
Character commissioned and series/video game : Belarus (black dress) from Hetalia. Full costume.
http://i48.tinypic.com/xn4znl.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/ws3hhh.jpg
Timeline (how long your order took to process): 4-5 weeks. She shipped it and I got it (without express shipping) in 3 days. I was very happy. It also came in very good packaging.
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments:
Pros - Shipping was VERY fast. She took the time to package it for shipping very well and I was pleased with it when it came. It's very comfy and it fits fairly well.
Cons - The dress was almost a foot too long, I had to fix it myself before the con. The bow wasn't attached to the apron and I had to attach it myself. She gave you a safety pin to pin it on with but it didn't look good. The neck was also much to big.

Final Grade: B+ With a little personal fixing the costume was great. I'm planning on ordering from her again.
Emilyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #1602
Yukikittie

Name of Commissioner: Cosplayhouse.com
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplayhouse.com
Character commissioned and series/video game: Teto Kasane costume and headset.
http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Vocaloid...y-Costume.html
http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Vocaloid...Version-1.html
Timeline: For my costume about a month, the headset, about two months.
Pros: It was very easy to contact them, and they responded within 2-3 days. My costume was well made too. I recieved Teto's socks with the costume too.
Cons: They gave me random Miku Hatsune hair accessories, which I don't mind. Three of my buttons kept on falling off, but were easily fixable. And my headphones came too late. x'D
Comments: The costume quality was good, and it looked like the picture. My measurements were exactly what I ordered them with too. (I accidentally made them too big. >>') Overall I don't have many complaints. I was content with it.
Final Grade: B
Unread 05-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #1603
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #1604
Siren04

Name of Commissioner
Black Moon Cosplay

Website/C.com gallery

http://blackmooncosplay.webs.com/

Character commissioned and series/video game

I commissioned a wig for Bayonetta from the video game Bayonetta

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...bertWicker.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ayParadise.jpg

Timeline (how long your order took to process)
I ordered it in February and got it at the beginning of May, which was when I requested to have it.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.
She was very sweet and kept me informed on the progress of my wig. She sends progress pictures and makes sure you like how it's turning out. My wig was very well packaged and included business cards to pass out, a wig head, a wig cap, and a nice note from her. I consider it a very high quality wig. It's durable and light weight. I would definitely do business with her again.

Final Grade:

A+
Siren04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #1605
Ms.Madman

Name of commissioner: Cosplay Station
Character commissioned and series: Grell Sutcliff wig from Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler)
Links to picture of your commissioned Item: http://cosplaystation.ca/commission370.html
Timeline: March 2010-April 2010
Pros: Quick email responses; very good communication! Polite and respectful. Met the projected deadline on time. They listened to what I had to say about how I wanted the product to look and followed through on my requests. This wig is actually a second version of the first Grell wig they made in the past; they modified the look to meet my specifications!
Cons: Their wigs can be pretty expensive. They only accept Paypal and Money Orders.
Comments:I knew a friend with a paypal account and was able to pay through them! Cosplay Station even had me double check the address information they sent to confirm that my friend had placed the order accurately. I am very pleased with how Cosplay Station does business, and feel it was well worth the price.
Final Grade: A
Ms.Madman is offline   Reply With Quote