Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 04-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Sakanoue Ayame
In Android Hell

General Feedback on Skills: Mixed Dates

I am requesting a critique on these three shots, all taken at various points between 2008 (when I first got my SLR) and now. I think they are representative of my best cosplay work, and I want to know if I am making any consistent problems/successes? Any general points that can be made. Thanks guys, I really value your opinion.

Aizen and Gin.

Tsuikyu.

Matsumoto.

PS: Also please let me know if these pictures are too big/if you're having problems looking at them, and I shall scale them down. I am just a stickler for details and high quality.

Unread 04-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
FiveRings

1-Aizen and Gin) Your whites are blown out. Your white balance seems a bit off because their skin tones look cold, unless that's the effect you're going for because the whites from the coat and their faces are blown. I would've gone for a slightly lower angle, roughly level with their faces or with the table. You cropped off their feet and the tail of the coat. And there's a bag of chips on the table.

2-Tsuikyu) You want to have her switch leg positions or shoot from the other side, otherwise you're kind of shooting into an open crotch, which is just awkward. The white areas are again blown out. And it should be tilted 2-3 degrees counter-clockwise.

3-Matsumoto) Too blurry. Or is she supposed to be ghostly? You can use the walls or the stair rail to steady yourself since you're shooting at 1/8. Otherwise, you'll have to up the ISO again to 1600 to get a shutter speed of 1/15, which would give you a much more usable picture. White Balance should be set to tungsten if you're going to shoot inside without flash.
Unread 04-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

#1 I agree with FiveRings. The skin tones look way too bright, even if the location looks properly exposed. The background composition seems very random. You could shoot from several feet higher to make the grass become the background, without the sun or fence being in the shot. A much lower angle would make the tree leave become your background. This would look especially nice with a more blurred background, using a wider aperture. Moving back and shooting with a longer lens would give you more control of what you want out of your shot behind them.

#2 Yes. This angle is so focused on the crotch. The left leg looks awkward to exit the frame, near the angle. Bending that leg to bring it into frame would steer our eyes back to the person. I think the exposure on her is fine...more important than the walls.

#3 Since the bottom railing is much clearer than she is, it is apparent she needed to hold more still with you slow shutter. Color-wise, try your camera on Auto white balance or try the bulb/tungsten setting. The location looks to modern for the location. Cropping out the framed photos on the wall and the chair would help.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Archangelz
Accio burrito!

1: I think the previous posts have already described your whites enough. What I noticed in this image right away and it held through with the others is that you need to pay a bit more attention to your background. Having unflattering/random elements back there can really break down what would have otherwise been a great shot. Some of the suggestions brucer007 gave for changing this first one are a great place to start.

2: personally, I didn't notice the crotch so much. I was really interested in the facial expression on her and the rest of her positioning. Once again please pay attention to the background, that wall outlet on the right is distracting since it looks like she's staring right at that.

3. As was already said, it's blurry and an unflattering color. Really play with the white balance controls on your camera so you can see what it does in different situations. The best way to learn how to use your camera and get better at it is just to shoot over and over and over.

I did want to mention one thing that I really liked: I really liked the poses your models were in. It doesn't matter to me if you actively told them to pose like that or if you just chose those as the ones you wanted to highlight in this post. Either way, I think you have an eye for that. Play with that more and you'll start to make your images even better. There are a lot of people who can take technically great images (white balance, lighting, and colors are all right) but if it's a boring pose the image is going to be boring. I don't think that's going to be a problem for you.
Archangelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
shibuya

1) overexposed. change your metering to spot or center-weighted so that the foreground gets right exposure. also, you're shooting in the direction of the sun (you can see the sun through the leaves actually, which causes flare) - really bad idea unless you're doing a silhouette, which you're not. light source should be shining on the target, not into your camera.

2) the best of the three you show, but the attention is drawn to the model's leg, which goes off the frame. you seem to be trying to play with dof, but it is not quite working out. the picture would have looked better imo if you moved slightly to the right

3) change white balance - skin tones look unnatural. the shot is misfocused - keep focusing on the person's eyes, unless you're trying something creative, but you probably are not there yet... or maybe it's a hand shaking due to long exposure.

for all three, change composition - you place your target dead in the center. if you're doing a full or half portrait, that's fine, otherwise it's plain boring.

Last edited by shibuya : 04-24-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typos
shibuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
FMA_Forever504

The composition of the photo's are a bit strange and it think the contrast in the first pic is a bit too much
FMA_Forever504 is offline   Reply With Quote