Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Vegas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Zerofox Kitsune
I am kid. Hear me roar.

What Is This Convention Like?

Hello.

As I may be able to travel to Vegas for a convention this year, I was curious about this one. Anime Vegas veterans, what exactly is this convention like? How large is it? How high would you rate the quality panels and events? Are there other conventions in Vegas that you would recommend?

In companion to this thread, I'm also taking a look at the feedback thread.

Any information that would be useful to an Anime Vegas newcomer I'll gladly welcome.

Thank you.

I N - P R O G R E S S C O S P L A Y:
AGITO WANIJIMA [AIR GEAR]. . . . [95%]
GALE [DEMIKIDS]. . . . . . . . . . . . . .[05%]

Last edited by Zerofox Kitsune : 05-11-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Zerofox Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

I'm a staff member, so feel free to take my opinions with a grain of salt ^_-.

Anime Vegas has had an attendance size between 3,000 and 4,000 the past few years, IIRC. Most of our attendance comprises of people who live in the Vegas Valley, but there are also a lot of people who come in from Utah and Southern California, especially in 2008 and 2009. It seems to me that most of our attendees are between the ages of 14 and 21.

Of course we have our share of overly hyped up fans that you have to watch out for, but for the most part our attendees are well behaved. (If they're not well behaved tell a staff member! We will take care of the problem because none of us put up with that BS.) We have taken steps to bring the maturity level up, like ban signs and yaoi paddles. I've found that most people at our convention are extremely friendly and approachable too.

When it comes to guests, if you're a fan of American voice actors you cannot pick a better convention! Take a look at the guest list on our website - it's already a mile long! The last few years we've also had a Japanese guest and a few Japanese bands out to play. We will again this year, but none of that it set in stone yet.

We have a wide variety of panels, including the gameshow-type that are so popular nowadays. TBH I'm not much of a panel person unless I'm running it. I am one of the panelists on the Cosplay panel every year, which is usually one of the more popular panels during the weekend. Last year we had a poster gallery in one of our panel rooms which really cut down our panel variety, but this year that will not be happening .

Since you're posting this on cosplay.com, I'll assume that you'd be interested in our Cosplay events. We have two this year. First, the Masquerade is so much fun every year! I used to run it and I've been amazed at how much our cosplayers have stepped up their game. Now it is run by Natchan and she is a great organizer! Our other Cosplay event, the Masquerade Ball, takes place the first night of the convention. It's for everyone to have a chance to dress in fancy attire and dance the night away! It's open to all attendees (as long as they're in proper dress) but we also have a mini costume contest for the best formal costumes! There's a thread on this forum about the Ball; please see that thread if you want to know more.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Zerofox Kitsune
I am kid. Hear me roar.

Thank you, I appreciate the information you've given me.

Unread 05-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
A x e l - F
Got It Memorized?

*cough* Anime St. George rocks socks. It's only about 2 hours from Vegas and is on the 25th of Sep this year. >w< *cough*

[/end plug]

I went to Anime Vegas last year and in 06. It was good in 06 and wasn't too bad last year even though we spend most of our time in the dealers room. We did have some problems with the staff though and their change of venue is keeping us from going this year. It's not a bad convention, but just not one my group and I will be attending this year.

Anime St. George 2010 Con | Twitter Me!| ASG Blog | Facebook | Myspace |
A x e l - F is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Zerofox Kitsune
I am kid. Hear me roar.

I will keep that convention in mind. Do you know the venue at which this convention is being held?

Unread 05-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

We're at the Alexis Park. I, for one, am really excited about the venue change. Cashman Center is not cosplayer friendly (since it's not near any hotels and has nowhere pretty to take pictures) and we have had problems the last two years we've used them (07 and 09). The Alexis Park has a lot of room and is much easier on the eyes than Cashman.

Here's the website for Alexis Park: http://www.alexispark.com/

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Zack_Fair_2002
Outta my Way!

Did I read the Anime Vegas website right on props and weapons? That ANY form of props aren't allowed at this particular convention?

------------------------------------------------
Cosplay Progress:
Zack Fair (Crisis Core) : 100%
RWBY - Red (Male Vers.) : 0%
Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Carribean) : 10%
Takashi Kumoro (H.O.T.D) - 50%
Starkiller (Star Wars: The Force Unleashed) : 0%

Zack_Fair_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

I think you got "props" mixed up with "signs." Anime Vegas does not allow signs unless you have our approval through email before the start of the con. It would be pretty silly to not allow props!

Unread 06-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Zack_Fair_2002
Outta my Way!

Yeah I guess it would have been very silly . Thanks for clearing that up. I must of read it wrong because I could have sworn it wasn't allowed. But just checking the website now, this is what it says:

1. All live steel, firearms, open flame and wooden paddles, wooden swords are prohibited. Please do not bring these into the convention

My buster is made out of plywood, but I wasn't sure if I should even attempt to bring it. Anyone?

Cosplay Progress:

Unread 06-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
NyuNyu
CLAMP addict

My friends and I had a bad experience at Vegas a couple years ago and would probably not go back. We felt the overall crowd at the convention was all so much younger than we were used to...and immature at that. My friends got kissed and licked on the face by random people! The costumes in the halls did not make me feel like wearing mine. Also I felt guests/programming was really geared towards voice actors and at one point, the only thing to do there was to do was get autographs. (a shame if you aren't into English VAs at all like myself)

Tenshi did do a great job with the cosplay masquerade, though. It was not stressful to enter or be judged. I felt the quality of the skits was overall lacking, again that probably relates to my earlier statement! Hopefully the con overall has improved. ^^ It's also a great place to do photoshoots outside of the con, especially if want to ride the monorail down to the strip!

I believe Animeland Makiba is another new convention in Vegas.
NyuNyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

Zach_Fair_2002 - I will ask for a clarification on the rules because IMO your buster sword should be admitted. I think that rule's in place to prevent those wooden practice swords out. I have carried around my Space Sword made 100% out of wood several times at AV.

NyuNyu, thanks about the Masquerade! That's gross about the licking thing, though that can happen at any convention. I had some pretty, uhh, strange things happen while I was dressed as Fai at Fanime last weekend, which is a con known for being more mature and laid-back than most others. 08 was a lame year, mostly because the Renaissance was not a good venue for our convention. You'd think finding a good venue in Vegas of all places would be easy, but apparently not. Again, I'm really hopeful that the Alexis Park will be the perfect spot for Anime Vegas.

Unread 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Eerie Butterfly
Bacon, the candy of meats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyuNyu View Post
My friends and I had a bad experience at Vegas a couple years ago and would probably not go back. We felt the overall crowd at the convention was all so much younger than we were used to...and immature at that.
That is the reason why I stopped going to the monthly viewings.

Last year was the first year I went and I'm going to give it a second try. I felt that there wasn't much going on, but then again, I've only been to large conventions. Overall, it was ok...just ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyuNyu View Post
I believe Animeland Makiba is another new convention in Vegas.
Las Vegas Super Con is another convention here in town as well.
Unread 06-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #13
ScarletRhapsody
way past weird

I went last year just as an excuse to hit the strip, but I was not aware about the Cashman Center being in a not-so-glitzy part of town. I had a good time, and I can give this year's Anime Vegas a benefit of a doubt since it will be at a hotel location that's close to the strip (MGM side, I assume?).

I do appreciate the number of voice acting related panels. I recommend this con for anyone who wants to work in anime localization field. Great networking opportunities! I'm really hoping there are more panel rooms this year. Two live programming rooms for panels is not enough!

We'll see how this year goes with the new location. I'm an optimist, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

EDIT: You can read a much more in depth review of my Anime Vegas experience on my final thoughts section in our con report:
http://scarlet-rhapsody.com/travelin...09/final_1.htm

Last edited by ScarletRhapsody : 06-10-2010 at 02:21 AM.
ScarletRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Zack_Fair_2002
Outta my Way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Zach_Fair_2002 - I will ask for a clarification on the rules because IMO your buster sword should be admitted. I think that rule's in place to prevent those wooden practice swords out. I have carried around my Space Sword made 100% out of wood several times at AV.
Did you manage to find out any more information about that weapons policy by chance Tenshi?

Cosplay Progress:

Unread 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
Tommyki

I'm really thinking about going to this one. The badges are not a bad price and the rooms are a great deal. About half the price of Anime Expo rooms. I also know it's a decent hotel. At least it was when I was there years ago. ...I had a yo-yo tournament. Haha.
Tommyki is offline   Reply With Quote