Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #91
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Here's how I see it: cons are not nightclubs. The only dress code is that you BE dressed. If a con starts refusing people at the door based on what they're wearing (i.e. not "azn" as another poster put it), I highly doubt that con will last another year.

By the way, Kuroshitsuji is set in Victorian England. Should those cosplayers be excluded? It's been my experience that some Japanese love Western things much like some Westeners like Japanese things. Hence a lot of Western ideas and symbolism in movies, shows, music, and fashion.

Just a thought
Stormraven24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #92
Amanita

I wouldn't want to go to a con where the dress code was as picky as a nightclub! That's why I don't go to nightclubs, either, to be honest. With the strict and arbitrary dress codes, who needs the hassle?

Seriously- I would not want anything to do with a con where they nitpicked costumes at the door. "Oh, you're not anime/sci-fi/comic? No convention for you!" Who needs that? Not I!" Truth be told, I've never been to a con where people were picky about costumes like that. As long as the costumed ones made the effort to dress up, who cares? I would sooner see a crowd of steampunk, anime, sci-fi, and comic costumes out on the con floor than see a lot more folks in "normal" clothes, because they didn't have a strictly "theme" costume to wear.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #93
chinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by airzona901 View Post
I think steampunk is pretty cool. At the previous con they had steampunk sailor scouts and mario.

I wouldn't mind trying steampunk my self
chinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #94
Prota-Girl
Get Jinxed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinguin View Post

Now that inspires me. O_O *wants to revamp her Tres costume* Fantastic idea. O_O

X-23 (X-Men)

Planned:
Etrigan (Female; DC Comics) Razer (Green Lantern TAS) Madoka (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Prota-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #95
TrinityMonkey
Cosplayer by Night

i dont mind it
i mean
we have other non-Japanese-oriented cosplayer at anime cons, like those as characters from Disney or Star Wars
i guess its cuz the sci-fi genre crosses over when you mix in mechas and the steampunk genre
they're all connected/influenced, i suppose ^^
TrinityMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #96
hellparadiso
Dante's Divine

Eh, see, to me that picture doesn't look too Steampunkish. The only things that don't make sense are the goggles, the spats, and the brass buttons*. Of course, Link would have a keyring on his belt. Of course, his weapons would need some sort of harness to attach to his arm.

HOWEVER!

I do love Steampunkified costumes. For realz.

*Goggles, spats, and brass buttons do not a steampunk costume make, in my opinion.

Planned: Rumi from Perfect Blue. (A-Kon 22)
Completed: Misato Katsuragi. (A-Kon 21)
hellparadiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #97
Zeat Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
Funny how you said that and separated Steampunk from cosplay. No offence, but the choice of words amused me a little bit, coming from someone who actually is a steampunker and want it to be just like any other "genre".

At every con there are people who are dressed in ways that doesn't fit in well with the rest of the con. Sometimes Jack Sparrow walks in on the anime con. Sometimes a random stormtrooper. Surely a steampunker would just be seen as an original character, or another version of a character or so, not a freak. From the people I've met at cons, I've noticed that people in general are really polite and nice. Regardless what your cosplaying though, have enough confidence to ignore straightforward people who's toes you aparently tread on without meaning to.
I just see Steampunk and Cosplay as two different things.
No feeling
Eternity awaits"
"Beloved"-VNV Nation
Zeat Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #98
sam vimes
A real live wire

It warms my heart to know that some of the same people who bitch and moan about people giving them a hard time when they cosplay in public get pissy when someone represents another genre or style of costume at an anime convention.

There's no rule against it. Lighten up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #99
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
It warms my heart to know that some of the same people who bitch and moan about people giving them a hard time when they cosplay in public get pissy when someone represents another genre or style of costume at an anime convention.

This.

Someone else quote SV. Needs repeating.

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #100
Amanita

Funny, I cosplay at public events (not cons), and don't get all butthurt over different costume genres at the cons I go to.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #101
SA2R
King of the Skies

I peronslly dont like Sci-fi. I know too many people who have ruined it for me~ and I just dont want to get into it. But as far as seeing steam punk at cons~ I love seeing it!! I love seeing the props, the Steam punk versions of their characters, I even like seeing other Sci-fi cosplays. At one of our little cons, we actually had some Sci-fi cosplays that were asked to leave. And I dont think that is fair.
I think people should cosplay whatever the heck they want =3

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #102
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2R View Post
I peronslly dont like Sci-fi. I know too many people who have ruined it for me~ and I just dont want to get into it. But as far as seeing steam punk at cons~ I love seeing it!! I love seeing the props, the Steam punk versions of their characters, I even like seeing other Sci-fi cosplays. At one of our little cons, we actually had some Sci-fi cosplays that were asked to leave. And I dont think that is fair.
I think people should cosplay whatever the heck they want =3
Which begs the question; would you consider Ghost in the Shell cosplayers as anime, or sci-fi ones?

Why didnt the con ask the people to change, before asking them to leave? Seems a bit trigger happy, if you will.

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #103
Prota-Girl
Get Jinxed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post

^ True that. I've see it far to often. And yes, lighten up and have a good time. Cosplay is cosplay, costumes are costumes. I see no rules or law as long as your arse crack ain't showing. -_- And with that, I am done with this thread.

X-23 (X-Men)

Planned:
Etrigan (Female; DC Comics) Razer (Green Lantern TAS) Madoka (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Prota-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #104
kachie_1

Huh... I could go either/or with where this discussion's getting... I suppose the OP just doesn't see Steampunk fitting into an Anime Convention the way that (well, from what I have perceived anyway) a lot of people don't like to see Twilight cosplayed at Anime Conventions...

As far as the Steampunk/Lolita discussion goes, Lolita (though inspired from European fashion) Is indeed a Japanese fashion... So I can understand where he's going that Loli does have more to do with Japanese Culture in an Anime Convention than Steampunk, of which its origins are indeed European. (Though Anime does use it.)

To not want to see it at a convention at all though is going a little bit far, though SteamPunk is getting a bit overdone nowadays... (Though, this is COMPLETELY my opinion...)

...Though, unlike Twilight, Steampunk does have appearances in Animes (D.Gray-Man anyone? <33) so I can see why it's more tolerated in Anime Conventions.

....*hides from anyone that might shank her for comparing Steampunk to Twilight*

Current Cosplay List:
Nanao Ise (Bleach)
Neliel Tu (Bleach)

Yet to Come:
Lady Deadpool
Shampoo (Ranma 1/2)
Luise Meyrink (King of Fighters)
C.C. (Code Geass)
kachie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #105
hellparadiso
Dante's Divine

Quote:
*hides from anyone that might shank her for comparing Steampunk to Twilight*
See, I think the very problem here is the specific comparisons that are going on. The bigger picture, I think, is the idea that certain groups should be excluded while others should be celebrated. There is still a vast majority of anime cosplayers at anime conventions, so I don't think there's anything to worry about with regards to other genres or styles.

I hate Twilight. I loathe it. I wish it would be stricken from public record and readers' memories everywhere. If I saw a Twilight cosplayer at an anime convention, I might be inclined to berate that person for not seeing what I see: a poorly written, Mary-Sue-loving bastardization of romantic writing. What I would not do is berate that person for expressing their particular fandom through costume. In fact, if it were a good costume, I'd congratulate them for their skillz.

Again, until all these different styles and genres have their own easily accessible conventions where they can go squee together, I think we should welcome them with open arms. The lines of "anime" are blurry anyway, especially as it gains popularity in the States and other Western countries, where genre lines are constantly being pressed, bulged, challenged, and blurred.

Planned: Rumi from Perfect Blue. (A-Kon 22)
Completed: Misato Katsuragi. (A-Kon 21)
hellparadiso is offline   Reply With Quote