Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Hong Kong

Unread 05-26-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
page of wands

Thumbs up Cosplay Materials in HK?

Hello!

I've been living in HK for over 2 years now, but it's my first time looking for shops that sell items useful for cosplay and costume-making. Do you have any suggestions for good shops you found in HK for buying costume materials? Or, do you buy most of your materials online?

Please let me know if you have a good experience buying one of these this listed below!:
(and where you got it!)

- Sewing machines: I live in the Prince Edward area, and I know there are many shops near there on Lai Chi Kok Rd....but I don't speak any Cantonese so I'm worried about going in and asking questions!! Are the brands at Fortress any good? (I mostly saw "brother")... What machine do you have in Hong Kong??
- Fabric: Again, would need some place that speaks English.. I also don't know much about fabric, so hopefully also some place that wouldn't rip me off and try to pass polyester as silk or something!
- Good wigs: I've seen some in ladies market, are those any good or are they cheap and difficult to brush? Are there any other shops selling wigs?
- Contact Lenses: Any good places to buy prescription coloured contacts?
- Other: Any other useful shops? I've seen a shop hiding in Sham Shui Po Dragon Centre that had lots of cosplay items, even some shoes! Have you found any good shops like this?

Well, that's all I can think of for now... hopefully this isn't a repeat of a thread somewhere! (I know there may be threads like this on asiaxpat or something, but I was hoping for some cosplay-specific advice!) Excited to get started on a costume, but need to figure out where to get what I want...
page of wands is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
chaltier
下剋上!

Seeing as I'm someone who only visits HK once every other year, I think some of the locations I have in mind may be a little outdated. But this thread is great, because I've been looking for good places to get cosplay related items as well!

So, to pitch in, Sino Centre in Mong Kok has a ton of accessories. From what I remember, there's a lot dealing with anime/manga in general, although there are also stores that have a ton of accessories that you could use for cosplay. I think they sell contact lenses in some stores on the basement floor, but I can't be too sure - I was there two years ago, after all, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was a little different now.

I hear Pottinger Street in Central has a good place for accessories and wigs too, but seeing as I've never been there, I can't confirm it myself. If someone who's familiar with that area could confirm it, that would be great! Same goes for the wigs in Ladies Market - I hear that they DO sell wigs there, but I'm not sure what the quality of their wigs are like....

Annnd I think...Ginza Plaza (if that's what it's called?) on Sai Yeung Choi street in Mong Kok has stuff too but I can't remember for the life of me. I'm not even sure if I have the names right. It's been too long since I've been back in HK - but I'm looking forward to visiting during the summer this year. ♪

Can't recall too much when it comes to purchasing fabric, but when/if I think of it, I'll be sure to let you know! What costume do you have in mind?
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
page of wands

Thanks for the suggestions chaltier! Once I get started buying materials, I will search out those places on a weekend and let you know what I found!!!

As for costumes...still deciding! x__X Have sewed a bit in the past but I'm not confident in my skill level so I'm trying to find something that's not too difficult for me to make.... *puts on thinking cap!*
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
asuka-suminoe

Like what chaltier said, there's this cosplay shop in Ginza plaza on Sai Yeong Choi street. Actually a few months ago, I bought my ashford academy (code geass) uniform there and also a wig for my lelouch lamperouge cosplay.

As for contact lenses, you can find them in Sino in Mong kok, but please do take care of your eyes if your're using them :3
asuka-suminoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
page of wands

So, I've been going crazy these past couple weeks searching for as much costuming stuff as I can! I've found the following post online that has lots of helpful information about finding sewing materials in Hong Kong:
http://katharineyeung.wordpress.com/...-in-hong-kong/

I've checked out several of the areas mentioned and the information is quite accurate and up to date. I was worried that it would be difficult for an English speaker like me to ask questions, but more people than expected could speak English and knew enough to talk about their area of expertise. I also bought a wig from the ladies market (so far so good...have yet to try styling it though), and some contact lenses from the CTMA centre near Sino centre in Mong Kok. Can't really comment on comfort so far, since I haven't worn them for more than an hour, but quite reasonable price. I'll be careful with my eyes though...

For my costume, I've decided to be Howl from Howl's moving castle!! I may not make a very good Howl since I'm a girl but... it's very fun anyways! ^__^ Did anyone else start making a costume?
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
chaltier
下剋上!

Ohh, thanks for the site! ♥ I'm heading to HK on the 16th so I'll be sure to check those places out. First stop is probably Ladies Market because I am in desperate need of a lot of different wigs, haha. :') Would you mind taking a picture of the wig you got, if possible? I'm curious to see what the quality is like, haha.

Ooh, Howl! Don't worry - I'm a girl and a few of my costumes have been guys. You'll probably make a good Howl anyway because he still has a somewhat feminine look to him, also. :3 Hopefully I'll run into you during AniCom or something because it'd be awesome seeing your cosplay~ I started on my Reimu cosplay awhile back, but I'm not sure if I'll have it done in time before I leave, or if I'll even have enough room in my suitcase for it. D:
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
page of wands

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaltier View Post
Ohh, thanks for the site! ♥ I'm heading to HK on the 16th so I'll be sure to check those places out. First stop is probably Ladies Market because I am in desperate need of a lot of different wigs, haha. :') Would you mind taking a picture of the wig you got, if possible? I'm curious to see what the quality is like, haha.

Ooh, Howl! Don't worry - I'm a girl and a few of my costumes have been guys. You'll probably make a good Howl anyway because he still has a somewhat feminine look to him, also. :3 Hopefully I'll run into you during AniCom or something because it'd be awesome seeing your cosplay~ I started on my Reimu cosplay awhile back, but I'm not sure if I'll have it done in time before I leave, or if I'll even have enough room in my suitcase for it. D:
Sorry for the slow reply! Haven't managed to take a picture of the wig sorry, but I suppose by now you are in Hong Kong? Good luck finding one...or more than one? The hairs seem really nice and soft on the one I bought. The only thing I'm not a fan of is that since mine is very light blonde, a little bit of the mesh from the wig cap underneath shows through. Think I might buy another wig to chop up and sew pieces in just to cover this up!! (maybe...if i'm not too lazy ^^)