Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 06-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Meitachi

Hot Glue on Leather?

I'm going to be attaching pieces of armor onto a leather boot and was wondering if using hot glue would ruin the boot, seeing as how it's leather. I'm only 'borrowing' the pair and was hoping to give it back without any evidence of my having used a hot glue gun on it after I remove the armor and glue. If it helps, the leather's texture is not the smooth, matte type of leather but that slightly fuzzier type.

Or, if anyone can suggest a different method that'll keep the armor on (it's going to be near the ankle area if that's useful info), I'm down for that. Thanks in advance!
Meitachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Sounds like suede boots. Hot glue will hold, and likely ruin, that sort of finish as there is more to grip onto.

Maybe try double sided adheasive tape? Either the foam "super hold" type or maybe another kind designed for pictures, hooks, etc.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Xaevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
Sounds like suede boots. Hot glue will hold, and likely ruin, that sort of finish as there is more to grip onto.

Maybe try double sided adheasive tape? Either the foam "super hold" type or maybe another kind designed for pictures, hooks, etc.
Pretty sure hotglue would burn right through any kind of tape and most likely cause burn marks on something as delicate as suede. You could try velcro? That stuff isn't THAT hard to get off of things if you do it right.
Poe (Legend of Zelda) - Completed (AnimeNext 2013)
Xaevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Yep, hot glue will ruin leather boots.

I don't know what else to suggest without knowing what the armor is supposed to be doing. Pictures?

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
o01101011
Just call me Digit

...I wasn't suggesting hot glue in addition to the adhesive. I meant the adhesive as an alternative to the hot glue.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
DOC_Chaos
Professional SPFX Makeup

Can you use velcro or elsatic to create a tight strap that will hold it in place, wrap around the foot/ankle, as opposed to actually attatching to the boot. I did this for the armor pieces for Vincent Valentine and Chaos.
DOC_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
fluffyhead009
Teh Roleplay Master

Hot glue would ruin it... I suggest velcro... I don't know if THAT will ruin it but I don't think it will. ^^'''

??? - Deoxys Gijinka from Pokemon!
fluffyhead009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
arick86

sticky back velcro will also ruin suede... when you peel it off, it will leave the adhesive behind. and any adhesive remover--like Goo Gone-- is oil based and leave spots on wherever you use it.

I would agree with the previous post using elastic... or just go buy an inexpensive pair of boots you don't mind damaging a little... try the thrift stores or discount shoe stores.

Rising New Moon Studios
arick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Meitachi

I really like the idea of using elastic, actually, to create a tight strap and then attach the armour to those strips rather than to the boot itself. Thanks for all the bomb ideas, everyone!
Unread 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Nerfherder
Puu! - Mokona

I tried hot gluing craft foam armor to leather. What a failure. Never do that unless you've got no other options. Firstly it does not adhere very well at all and secondly the armor might get ruined. The heat from the hot glue might melt faux leather or deform craft foam.

When you are attaching leather to leather, always use rivets (I think that's the english term for the thingies). It's the only fool proof way. If rivets is not an option, if you'd, for example, would like to use the boot without the armor construction on them - attach the armor with thin elastic bands. They are strong and elastic, and this is the key point. Attaching the armor DIRECTLY to the boot or leather is likely to get it completely destroyed. Attaching the armor INDIRECTLY to the leather with the elastic band as medium inbetween would save a lot of strain on the armor.

Example of a two-sided rivet for attaching leather-leather or leather-cloth: http://www.ulkohankinta.fi/swe/jeans_knappar/sisar.jpg

Last edited by Nerfherder : 06-23-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Meitachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
I tried hot gluing craft foam armor to leather. What a failure. Never do that unless you've got no other options. Firstly it does not adhere very well at all and secondly the armor might get ruined. The heat from the hot glue might melt faux leather or deform craft foam.

When you are attaching leather to leather, always use rivets (I think that's the english term for the thingies). It's the only fool proof way. If rivets is not an option, if you'd, for example, would like to use the boot without the armor construction on them - attach the armor with thin elastic bands. They are strong and elastic, and this is the key point. Attaching the armor DIRECTLY to the boot or leather is likely to get it completely destroyed. Attaching the armor INDIRECTLY to the leather with the elastic band as medium inbetween would save a lot of strain on the armor.

Example of a two-sided rivet for attaching leather-leather or leather-cloth: http://www.ulkohankinta.fi/swe/jeans_knappar/sisar.jpg
Thanks for all the advice! I've attached the armor via elastic band and it's holding up wonderfully. In the future, I would most likely make book covers, but since I'm short on time, it'll work just fine. Btw, your Vincent armor looks amazing! It's so glossy-looking :]