Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #4306
Atraielees

Hey thanks!

I guess my first question is...where do I start?
Atraielees is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #4307
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraielees View Post
Hey thanks!

1) Choose your favorite character!

2) Go to the fabric store and see what fabrics they have and if you can find the colors you need. Check how the colors go together and make note of the fabric type and color so you can come back (maybe get little test cuts/swatches if you can't make up your mind). If you aren't happy with the colors or fabric available then you know you either need to keep looking or change to a different character.

This way you will know if you can get everything at the same store or if you need to expand your fabric search to other stores. Once you know how much fabric you need you can go back and get the right amount - or you can wait to go back when you have coupons. [Fabric store coupons are usually only good for one cut of fabric. I usually get one every week in the newspaper and spread out my purchases accordingly. ]

The following are my personal fabric choices for Sailor Soldier Fuku. Other people have their own favorite materials based on weight and textured appearance.

Leotard (if making your own): White Swimwear/Dancewear fabric (4-way stretch) - you'll probably need to double it because white is usually kind of see-through...
Skirt/Collar: Some kind of synthetic silk/silky fabric. Real silk will be super expensive and actually has a rough/uneven texture.
Bows: Satin (Shiny!) Satin is rather floppy so you will need to use interfacing if using it for bows.

3) Make a list of all the accessories you will need to buy or make. Things like gloves, shoes/boots, tiara, wig, jewelery, and choker. Maybe makeup too. Determine if you want to make certain items yourself or buy them. It's good to do this early because you don't want to rush making something (you may need to remake it) or order it too late so that your wig comes the week after you need it.

4) Decide if you want to make your own leotard from scratch or buy one to modify. (If you look at past posts in this thread you'll get an idea of what is involved with each method.)

5) Buy patterns and/or draft your own. The sailor collar you almost definitely will be drafting on your own, but it is rather simple and it doesn't make sense to buy a pattern just for the collar. This video explains sailor collars pretty well - and is very entertaining - though you may need to modify how it attaches.

For making your own leotard with attached skirt I recommend Green Pepper's pattern for a skating leotard (#517 Crystal Lake Skating Outfit). If you know how to make a circle skirt you can probably do that on your own and attach it to a store bought leotard.

6) Ask questions! We love to help and somebody here probably has an answer.

Last edited by Emrys : 06-25-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #4308
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Hey thanks!

To be honest, this is the best How-to-make-a-sailor moon-costume thread that you will ever find.

But starting is easy! Firstly, you may want to consider finding a pattern in order to make the main bodice (leotard) and skirt. Ice skating patterns are recommended, especially the Green Pepper Pattern (which I used) and the Butterick Ice Skating Pattern which is just as good.
But, if you don't fancy making the bodice from scratch, then you could always buy your own leotard, but to be honest, making a leotard is not hard at all!

So, now that you have considered the pattern, now to know what fabrics you are going to use. So, for the bodice, the ultimate fabric choice would definately have to be lycra or spandex. For the skirt and Sailor Collar, well, the materials vary depending on your taste, if you want that shiny style like the manga images then satin is the way to go, there are a range of different satin types like dull satin if you want it more suttle or shiny satin if you want extra shine. But be careful, if you're not experienced with sewing, then working with satin can be tricky as it is a slippery material.
However, if you want to go for the anime style you may want to go for the more matte material such as cotton or cotton lycra or something similar. These materials are easier to work with.
For the bows, well, this applies to the sailor collar and skirt, if you used satin for the skirt and collar, then you would do so with the bows and vice versa. DO NOT mix both satin AND cotton together within the costume, it looks inaccurate and....strange. Unless your doing a Sera Myu version sailor fuku where the materials are mixed.
For the glove rolls, use the same material as the skirt/collar/bows/bodice, same applies with the hip rolls and sleeve rolls.

Well, I think I've covered the first stage of making your senshi costume. Once you have found the perfect pattern and the perfect materials to your taste, then don't hesitate to ask how to go ways about making your costume, everyone is here to help you if you get stuck. Patterns are quite easy to follow. We can also give you recommendations on where you should go to purchase your shoes/ wigs/ accessories. So everything is basically covered.

One last thing, DON'T PANIC! Like I stated before, we're here to help and so are people around you, you can get family members to help, and if you're stuck for choice on fabrics, then your local fabric store will offer helpful advice too!
Oh, and Good Luck!
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #4309
Atraielees

Oh my goodness, thank you so much!
I guess the big issue I can foresee is the place where the skirt meets the leotard and the tube thingy is...seem's ridiculously hard to me...

*goes to look through this thread for an answer...*
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #4310
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Oh my goodness, thank you so much!
I guess the big issue I can foresee is the place where the skirt meets the leotard and the tube thingy is...seem's ridiculously hard to me...

*goes to look through this thread for an answer...*
Haha, you're welcome. Well, for attaching the skirt to the leotard issue, well your purchased pattern will tell you how to do that so you don't need to worry, but there are alternate ways of attaching the skirt to the bodice if you can't do it the pattern's way. And the tube thingy, well I can recommend a tutorial for you on that, but I'll do that when you come to doing the hiprolls and how to attacht that to the bodice. But worry about these things later and start with doing the basics. Doing the hip roll is easier than you think

Unread 06-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #4311
Atraielees

Hmm, ok...so then you recommend using a pattern for the leotard and skirt?
I've seen some ideas but it seems those patterns are disconnected...=/
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #4312
Emrys

Quote:
Hmm, ok...so then you recommend using a pattern for the leotard and skirt?
I've seen some ideas but it seems those patterns are disconnected...=/
Disconnected??

Most skating patterns have the skirt sewn into the leotard. All one piece. I like it because it lets you get a better V shape in front. That is very hard to do if the skirt is not connected.

If you start with a store bought leotard for the base then yes, your leotard and skirt will be separate and only attached with a few stitches or button snaps or the like.
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #4313
Atraielees

Ugg...typo.
I completely meant to say 'discontinued'. D=
*face-palm*
I've been searching through this thread and the web in general and most of the 'recommended' patterns are not available anymore.
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #4314
Emrys

Quote:
Ugg...typo.
I completely meant to say 'discontinued'. D=
*face-palm*
I've been searching through this thread and the web in general and most of the 'recommended' patterns are not available anymore.
Ooooh...

I found the Green Pepper pattern at Joann Fabrics and they've still got them on the shelf. I don't know about other patterns though.
Unread 06-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #4315
sakura_petals

Depending if you even have this brand of patterns then I got a Kwiksew ice/figure skating pattern from my local fabric store. It's exactly like the ones recommended - but if you can't find a pattern to use at your local then try finding them online.

When deciding what version to do take note that there are at the most 3 (regular/normal, super and eternal) versions for each of the manga, anime, live action (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) and musicals (Sera Myu) so when asking for help let us know which version you plan on making as they differ between the different shows.

I'm pretty sure most of us have tutorials for senshi cosplays bookmarked so when you come up the next part (ie actually making the cosplay) then don't hesitate to ask for help.
sakura_petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #4316
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Well, I'm buying the pattern for my Neo-Queen Serenity dress today. But I've also started thinking about what materials I should be using. I saw some nice duchesse satin that is reasonable priced. I don't want any fancy or textured material because I'll be putting white, clear organza over the top over the skirt piece (not the bust piece) anyway. But then I don't want a cheap-looking satin or fabric.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

Also, for the large bow at the back, should I keep that white (like the fabric) or should I get a white fabric with a pinkish-purplish tint to it? Also what fabric should I make the large bow out of? I was thinking of using the duchesse satin for it then covering it in organza.. Because in her anime version, the large bow is not see-through as the manga portrays it to be. I was also thinking of starching the bow to keep it stiff rather than pee about with wire.

Unread 06-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #4317
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Bought my hair today! And fabric for the uniform! Yay!
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 03:28 AM   #4318
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Bought my hair today! And fabric for the uniform! Yay!
You "bought your hair"? Does that mean a wig or extensions? :x Ooh, and what fabric did you decide to use in the end?

Unread 06-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #4319
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Lol sorry, I was too excited to be specific. I got extentions, since I'm already blonde and wigs have always made my head itch. And I just got some nice darkidh blue cotton. It was on sale. I'll be taking progress pics as I make. How is your queen serenity costume going?
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #4320
Andserkiel
Leonie Heartilly

Whoops I keep forgetting about these forums. I finally brought my fabric for PGSM Sailor Moon the other day yay! I went with some bright cottons and pink PVC for the glove rolls (the only version that uses a different material I think). I just need to get my base leotard as I would feel more secure in one rather than making my own. I have a matt cotton lycra that should be the same as the leotard to make my hip and shoulder rolls.

Oh and although I have white PVC for my boot tops I also recommend electrical tape, I use it a lot for props.
Andserkiel is offline   Reply With Quote