Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #61
Linwe

@Vamp-Elanor: the simplest answer would be to put in darts.
Linwe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #62
MaeMaeAngel
aka Mae Mae Twin

I have a question about choosing fabric for a cosplay. I want to use chinese brocade on the kimono part of this character's cosplay, http://code-geass.bandai-ent.com/characters/kaguya.php. But it's supposed to be solid colors. Should I stick with just the solid colors or could I use the brocade? (I'm asking here because I really need to get the cosplay done soon)
MaeMaeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #63
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

MaeMaeangel: I really suggest solid colors. Brocade (at least the kind like in JoAnn's and such) is really not that great for something like that. I'd recommend something like silk if you want to spend that much or maybe just a lightweight cotton/poly blend.
Stormraven24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #64
MaeMaeAngel
aka Mae Mae Twin

Ok I'll do that. Thank you for the help!
MaeMaeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #65
MissDragonblade
Ignore the "Miss."

A LOT of anime/game characters have bog, spherical shoulders on their outfits.

Anyone have any tips on how to pattern them out? Or perhaps an existing pattern that already has sleeves like that?

(example of what I mean: http://www.mobygames.com/game/n64/mi...ShotId,172309/ the one on the right, obviously...)

Semi-active on cosplay.com
Please contact me via Facebook@ Dragonblade Cosplay
or Tumblr@ Dragonblade
MissDragonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #66
jambreaker
Narrator for Bad Mimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDragonblade View Post
A LOT of anime/game characters have bog, spherical shoulders on their outfits.

Anyone have any tips on how to pattern them out? Or perhaps an existing pattern that already has sleeves like that?

(example of what I mean: http://www.mobygames.com/game/n64/mi...ShotId,172309/ the one on the right, obviously...)
That looks like it could be made out of foam rubber, sculpted with an electric knife (the reciprocating kind that slices turkey or ham), and coated with enamel (not latex!) paint to get the color. Or with fabrics you could build it up like the panels of a beach ball, with nylon mesh lining the inside (interfacing might be too stiff). If you have the materials and the patience, there's resin formed around a wire mesh 'cage'.
Unread 05-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #67
MissDragonblade
Ignore the "Miss."

Hmm... Those ideas seem to work, but the only problem is uniformity. All the white parts (shoulders, top, gloves, etc) have to be made out of the same material, which, in this case, is white pvc. .___.;

I'd like to hear more about the 'resin formed over a wire mesh cage' thing. Is there a tutorial like that around here somewhere?

or Tumblr@ Dragonblade
Unread 05-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #68
jambreaker
Narrator for Bad Mimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDragonblade View Post
Hmm... Those ideas seem to work, but the only problem is uniformity. All the white parts (shoulders, top, gloves, etc) have to be made out of the same material, which, in this case, is white pvc. .___.;

I'd like to hear more about the 'resin formed over a wire mesh cage' thing. Is there a tutorial like that around here somewhere?
I think that there are -- try searching for helmet or armor tutorials -- some of the Power Rangers cosplayers on these forums make their own gear, including some outstanding helmets. Vacuforming is another method that can work too.
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #69
MissDragonblade
Ignore the "Miss."

Right, but vaccuforming requres a vaccuforming table and generator and all that. I don't have the money to invest or the shop skills to know how to make one .___.;

or Tumblr@ Dragonblade
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #70
Roses-and-red

Does anyone know a good tutorial to make ruffles for a costume like this ---->http://www.cosplayhouse.com/images/D...er_01-6-03.jpg

Please and Thank you in Advance!

Roses-and-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #71
godsavethequeen
Seamstress Extraordinaire

I'm assuming you mean the ruffles at the bottom of the white underskirt? You have a few options:

- Purchase pre-ruffled trim (available at Jo-Ann's, Hancocks, etc.)

- Use a ruffler foot. Start with a strip of fabric that is already hemmed. The width should be the length you want your ruffle to be, plus a seam allowance. A ruffler foot will automatically tuck and sew your fabric as you feed it through, and they are usually adjustable (dense ruffles or sparse ruffles).

- If you don't have a ruffler foot, or don't wish to purchase one, you can gather a ruffle by hand, too. Using the longest stitch length on your machine, do a quick running stitch all the way down your pre-hemmed strip of fabric. Flip your fabric over. Pull gently on the underside thread to gather your fabric. You'll have to work your way down the length of the fabric carefully, making sure not to break your thread.

- And last, but not least, make sure you start with a strip of fabric that is significantly longer than the length you want the finished ruffle to be.

Alternatively, if you're referring more to the skirts (I suppose they're like really big ruffles), I'd suggest doing them as circle skirts. The more circles you use (I like to use at least two full circles), the fuller the skirt will be.

http://www.godsavethequeenfashions.com
gstqfashions@gmail.com
godsavethequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #72
MissLlil
rawr.

Not really a tutorial (no instructions), but has LOTS of pictures of making an 8-bit/pixelated cosplay.

http://hyperbolestudios.com/kieljohnson.com/8-bit.html
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #73
Berrymon
Dude!!! It's Berry. :]

I was wondering if you could tape sewing patterns parts together. For example I'm gonna be making The A coat. And well the back part has 2 parts so I was wondering if I could tape them together and then cut the fabric from there.

I want to do this since the character I want to cosplay doesn't have the same design in the back since its all plain.

Hopefully it makes sense what I was trying to say. xD
L. Lawliet(Death Note)
Lambo(KHR)

Future cosplays:
Mukuro Rokudo(KHR)
Orange Jumpsuit Hibari(KHR)
Kanon(Umineko)

Deviantart
Youtube
Berrymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #74
jambreaker
Narrator for Bad Mimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrymon View Post
I was wondering if you could tape sewing patterns parts together. For example I'm gonna be making The A coat. And well the back part has 2 parts so I was wondering if I could tape them together and then cut the fabric from there.

I want to do this since the character I want to cosplay doesn't have the same design in the back since its all plain.

Hopefully it makes sense what I was trying to say. xD
I believe so -- some patterns actually have a line marked off where you can cut the pattern, and either shorten it or add a strip of spare fabric to extend it and still have the right cut overall.
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:31 AM   #75
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrymon View Post
I have, in fact, done that exact thing with that exact pattern for an FMA uniform. The only caution is that if you want the coat to be very fitted, you may have to do some additional tailoring at the sides or with darts. Removing the curved seams makes the coat a little "boxier" - not a problem for FMA but might be for your design.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote