Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Locations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
kandell

Midwest Locations

A list of locations for photo shoots in the Midwest, organized by state. If you live in one of the states below ((listed alphabetically)) post the state, city, and title or address of the location with a brief ((1 to 2 sentences)) description of the location. As locations are added, I'll add them to this post so things are organized nicely for everyone ^^

Illinois-
Millennium Park Garage- Chicago.
A cool urban setting with ambient lighting and graffiti. Careful though, there's security guards inside the garage that you'll have to dodge after a certain point, not to mention dodging the cars themselves.

Fourth Presbyterian Church- Chicago.
Located on the Magnificent Mile, just a little ways away from another nice bit of architecture, the Water Towers. Highly recommend asking permission before photoshoots. There are almost always some people in the church be as quiet as possible when photographing.

The Art Institute of Chicago Modern Wing (connector bridge)- Chicago.
This location in specific is the elevator/escalator to the skybridge that connects the AIC to Millennium Park, and it has this cool clean, white futuristic feel that the entire Modern Wing has. Also, you'll get a lot less weird looks here, since it's SAIC. Fair warning: You'll be dodging groups of visitors and occasionally the Board of Directors (their meeting room is connected to this structure on the third floor), and you can't go too late or it'll be closed (check museum times on the AIC website).

Indiana-

Iowa-

Kansas-

Michigan-
Downtown Ann Arbor
Downtown Birmingham
Downtown Detroit
Cathedrals in Detroit and Bloomfield Hills, there's a lot up here.

Minnesota-
Park- Edina, near the Blick Art Store

Como Park Conservatory- Saint Paul.
1225 Estabrook Drive
Saint Paul, MN 55103

Roseville Central Park- Roseville.
2525 Dale Avenue
Roseville, MN 55113

Missouri-
The City Museum - a giant picturesque jungle gym with themed areas including caves, a huge whale, an architecture museum that includes Victorian and Egyptian sections, and castle turrets. Photoshoots are best done during weekdays when it's less crowded, and it costs $10-$14 to get in.

Nebraska-
Joslyn Castle- Omaha.
An old stone mansion near the Joslyn Art Museum in Downtown Omaha.

Henry Doorly Zoo- Omaha.
Large zoo with aquarium, indoor rainforest and indoor desert.

Omaha Public Power District Arboretum- Omaha.
4302 Jones Plaza (108th and Blondo)
Omaha, NE 68105

Chalco Hills Arboretum- Omaha.

Papio-Missouri River NRD- Omaha.
8901 S. 154th St.
Omaha, NE 68138-3621

Metropolitan Community College Arboretum- Omaha.
30th and Fort Streets
Omaha, NE 68103

North Dakota-

Ohio-
Hocking Hills and Old Man's Cave - near Athens, OH - http://www.hockinghills.com/
Beautiful caves and hiking paths, pretty waterfalls. Good walking shoes recommended!

Ohio Statehouse - Columbus, OH - http://www.ohiochannel.org/your_stat..._operation.cfm
Great location with grand columns and sweeping staircases. Best to shoot on Saturdays and Sundays - the offices are closed, and there are very few people around. No permit needed as long as you are not shooting professionally.

Whetstone Park of Roses - 3901 N High ST, Clintonville, OH (suburb of Columbus) -
13 acres of gardens, full of flowers from spring to fall. Public park, very popular with wedding parties!

Oklahoma-

South Dakota-

Texas-

Wisconsin-
Milwaukee- mansion turned garden/art museum called Villa Terrace- http://www.villaterracemuseum.org/
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter

Last edited by kandell : 10-30-2010 at 10:43 PM.
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Ohio

Hocking Hills and Old Man's Cave - near Athens, OH - http://www.hockinghills.com/
Beautiful caves and hiking paths, pretty waterfalls. Good walking shoes recommended!

Ohio Statehouse - Columbus, OH - http://www.ohiochannel.org/your_stat..._operation.cfm
Great location with grand columns and sweeping staircases. Best to shoot on Saturdays and Sundays - the offices are closed, and there are very few people around. No permit needed as long as you are not shooting professionally.

Whetstone Park of Roses - 3901 N High ST, Clintonville, OH (suburb of Columbus) -
13 acres of gardens, full of flowers from spring to fall. Public park, very popular with wedding parties!
ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
iamawesome
cause iam awesome

In MN I love to go to this park in Edina. Forgot the name but it's right by Blick the art store.

Edward from FMA: 38%
Yuki from Vampire Knight: 10%
Rukia from Bleach: 17%
Letter Bee: 12%
Chocobo in Dragoon job form: designing stage
iamawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Illinois- Chicago

I live right in downtown, and here are three locations I've shot:
-Millennium Park Garage- A cool urban setting, I shot this from dusk to night. Careful though, there's security guards inside the garage that you'll have to dodge after a certain point :P Not to mention dodging the cars themselves... It has some pretty cool ambient lighting, though, and there's usually graffiti on the walls. Not sure if there's an office there where you can ask to shoot, but considering the School of the Art Institute is right next door (my school, lol), they're probably used to having to chase out photography students anyway.

-Fourth Presbyterian Church- Located on the Magnificent Mile, just a little ways away from another nice bit of architecture, the Water Towers. One of the most gorgeous churches I've ever been in. Shot this in the dead of December, in a snowstorm. I asked permission from the church office before shooting, which I would highly recommend. There are almost always some people in the church (usually homeless) so I was as quiet as possible when photographing and tried to keep us off to the sides where we wouldn't disturb anyone. Obviously, this would make it rather difficult to set up any equipment there, at least inside. Outside you might be able to have someone holding up equipment, maybe.

-The Art Institute of Chicago Modern Wing (connector bridge)- My school, so I didn't really have to ask permission This location in specific is the elevator/escalator to the skybridge that connects the AIC to Millennium Park, and it has this cool clean, white futuristic feel that the entire Modern Wing has. Also, you'll get a lot less weird looks here, since it's SAIC (man, no one can tell me my cosplay is weird when you've seen some of the shit at that school that I have...) Fair warning: You'll be dodging groups of visitors and occassionally the Board of Directors (their meeting room is connected to this structure on the third floor), and you can't go too late or it'll be closed (check museum times on the AIC website), but other than that you should be fine.

I'll add more as I find them. Millennium Park can be really nice to shoot in for the gardens and fountains, you just want to stay away from the touristy areas of it like the Bean (Cloudgate) and the skating rink/LCD screen fountains. I use it a lot because it's convenient for me since my school is right there. Also of interest for photographers, just about 5 blocks or so down Michigan going South you'll find the Roosevelt University's Museum of Contemporary Photography.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
UviB
Common sense, you has it?

Kandell, if I might add to Nebraska...

Omaha Public Power District Arboretum
4302 Jones Plaza (108th and Blondo)
Omaha, NE 68105

Chalco Hills Arboretum
Papio-Missouri River NRD
8901 S. 154th St.
Omaha, NE 68138-3621

Metropolitan Community College Arboretum
30th and Fort Streets
Omaha, NE 68103
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
songbirdblues
let's sing to the sky

Minnesota locations:

Como Park Conservatory
1225 Estabrook Drive
Saint Paul, MN 55103

Roseville Central Park
2525 Dale Avenue
Roseville, MN 55113
songbirdblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Yumikire

Wisconsin

In Milwaukee there is a beautiful mansion turned garden/art museum called Villa Terrace! It's absolutely beautiful!

http://www.villaterracemuseum.org/

Check it out!!!!
Yumikire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Here's a Missouri one for you, great for Ghostbusters, steampunk, mermaids, and any number of anime and video cosplays: http://citymuseum.org/home.asp

They're photoshoot friendly even though it does cost money to get in.

The City Museum - a giant picturesque jungle gym with themed areas including caves, a huge whale, an architecture museum that includes Victorian and Egyptian sections, and castle turrets. Photoshoots are best done during weekdays when it's less crowded, and it costs $10-$14 to get in.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 09-16-2010 at 06:01 PM.
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Michigan: Downtown Ann Arbor, Downtown Birmingham, Downtown Detroit, Cathedrals in Detroit and Bloomfield Hills, there's a lot up here.
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Misarylane
カラス

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBeautiful View Post
Ohio

I live in that area :] It's very great and if u walk around you can find the awesome creek/ also perfect for nature shots

Check me out on
- DeviantArt -

Conventions
Sakuracon '12 - Phoenix Comic Con '12 - Anime expo '12 -

Cosplays
Panty // Blood Elf // Psylocke // Huntress

Misarylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
rinya

Missouri:

Laumeier Sculpture Park, Sunset Hills: Gorgeous park filled with a variety of modern sculptures, some of which you can climb on, which would make for some interesting photos. There are also wooded areas and sculptures tucked away from the main complex. And it's completely free.
rinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinya View Post
Missouri:

Laumeier Sculpture Park, Sunset Hills: Gorgeous park filled with a variety of modern sculptures, some of which you can climb on, which would make for some interesting photos. There are also wooded areas and sculptures tucked away from the main complex. And it's completely free.
I LOVE Laumeier. We've done our share of shoots there.
Before I knew how to spell it: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2453850/
And they have this cool place that looks very Japanese with a bunch of wooden structures: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2414564/

Also, Creve Couer Park up north of St. Louis for anyone who needs a jungle. The place is crawling with huge vines that you can climb way up into the trees. It looks very much like Tselinoyarsk, the "jungle" in southern Russia that was created for Metal Gear Solid 3. We're doing our second MGS shoot there this weekend. Love that place.
Here are some pictures taken there: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2683760/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2683761/
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 11-05-2010 at 04:22 PM.
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
rinya

I've been wanting to go to Laumeier for the longest time. I just never seem to make it down there.
rinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
KiaraetheLight
Vongola Guardian

Iowa

I live right by the river and some train tracks in dubuque so we've taken to taking photos there when we can. The river walk makes for some interesting settings with the gazebos and everything.

Eagle point park here is huge and gorgeous for out door pictures. Play grounds for silliness sports areas, and lots of areas high over the river along with other parkish outdoor settings.

Theres a pretty torn down area down by the bridges across the river which can be pretty cool for shoots.
We could be in trouble.
*crash, boom, insert orchestral music*...
Seph has the box...
Run!

Upcomin Cosplays:(actual names are ones I hope to finish first, not in order)
Seig Hart from Rave
Musica from Rave
TYL!Squalo from Katekyo Hitman Reborn
TYL!Chrome from Katekyo Hitman Reborn
(And lots of other ideas i'll get to some day)
KiaraetheLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
nannyogg
:)

I live out in the middle of nowhere in southeast Kansas, and my favorite place to take my kids for photo shoots is a site called Kalida, which is just outside the town of Yates Center, off of Hwy 54. There used to be a city there in the 1800s, but all that's left are the gates (made of stone) and a cave with a limestone "castle" built around the front. You can access the gate area without needing to ask; if you want to do photos in front of the castle, you have to ask the people who own the property (their house is right by). It's a historic site, so they're used to occasional visitors. It's especially lovely in the spring, as there's a fence that gets covered with honeysuckle and little roses. There's also wide open wheat fields across from it in the summer.

The town of Yates Center has some great sandstone brick buildings that make a good backdrop for photos; you might get some curious stares or questions, but people are pretty friendly.
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote