Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Kasinator
Not quite human

Budget zero workout. How to get fit without the aid of equipment.

I have had many people ask me how they can get a good workout without the aid of equipment, since a lot of people put their hard earned money into their cosplays. This is where I come in to tell you how you can get a good workout in, despite such setbacks.

First lets get some references in here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com

Scooby is a pro thats just hit the big 5-0. However you'd think at the oldest he was in his late 30s. He is a big believer in simplicity, and not getting the latest equipment to get the job done. check his exercise pages for the simple workouts you can do at home.

http://www.bodyrock.tv/category/daily-workouts/
http://www.youtube.com/user/charliejames1975

Zuzana here focuses on plyometrics ( jump training ), cardio, and bodyweight exercises and very rarely uses equipment. when she does its usually cheap or can be make DIY for cheap at home.

so what could you use for equipment at home for working out? When it comes to working out, workout clothes and decent shoes are a must, but you already knew that right? good. A yoga mat is really handy for various exercises and can be as cheap as $7, even if thats steep try using towels, blankets, etc and just have them in a way so they wont slip around on the ground. the cheapest weights you can make are grocery bags filled with dirt. you can also experiment with various plastic containers and using gravel too. be sure to check your garage sales and craigslist for weights too.

Gym memberships are not nearly as bad as people think they are. they can go for as little as $20 a month or less than a dollar a day. from there you can just look up a printable workout at bodybuilding.com and go to town. aside from buying your equipment, that would be the most expensive thing to do on this list and even thats not too bad. Just don't fall for the gimmicks.

Every now and then we get someones who asks if the shake weight or ab wheel works, and instead of screaming at the individual I simply give then the quickest lesson on gadgets. If they are selling a weight loss gadget that somehow makes the workout feel more comfortable/easy, chances are it does not work. comfort will take a back seat to workout if you want results. it takes sweat, determination, and a lot of willpower to get there, but the reward is priceless.

I hope this helps. Submit your ideas and discoveries to help with budget zero workout here.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Sakurairis
Manic Maid

Wow do you know how much I love you right now? I friggen HATE the fact it costs me money to work out at a gym and besides walking (which gets boring after about three days) I was at a loss. Thank you so much this is EXACTLY what an out of money bum like me needs haha.
Sakurairis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
F. Silverberg

A few things I want to note about the gym and some other stuff:

-Most gyms (at least around here), require you to pay for the first and last month upfront, along with some miscellaneous processing/membership/whatever fees. This can actually make the initial investment over $100, but after that, it levels off to just the monthly fees (assuming there aren't any other fees you have to pay).

-Most people don't want to get in body builder shape, and honestly, you could probably get away with just bodyweight exercises, cardio, and solid nutrition (AND GOOD SLEEP) to get to where you want to be. However, if you are frugal (like me), or are financially disadvantaged, you only really need:

-Dumbbells (how many you need depends on your starting level and what muscle groups you intend to work out, I recommend a set of 5, 10, 15, and 20 for most people. If your shoulders are REALLY weak/underdeveloped, you might need to start even lower. If you're a woman, you may not even need to go above 15 unless you want to use that stuff for legs, but even then, you'll outgrow 20 lbs).

-Decent pair of running shoes.

-Somewhere to hang (that can safely support your weight) so you can do pullups.

Dumbbells are pretty cheap, especially if you buy them used. Don't buy the plastic ones, they are more expensive. A decent pair of running shoes vary in costs, but you shouldn't be paying more than $60 TBH (also, find out what kind of feet/what kind of runner you are and buy shoes with those in mind).

That's pretty much it, I do however, recommend:

-Underarmor (amazing, best clothing invention ever made).

-Speed rope (I love jump roping, regular jump ropes aren't suitable for exercising...at least not for me).

-A timer of some sort. You don't need to get fancy.

-Yoga mat if you want to do yoga, can be useful for other stuff too though.

-Lifting gloves: you don't really need the ones with wrist straps (to ensure that your wrists don't give out before your muscles to get the most out of your workout), but you want at least a basic pair of gloves because once you start lifting heavier weights (and even on a pullup bar without enough reps), it'll really start to eat up your hands (I got some pretty bad blisters on mine). I really recommend these, not too expensive either.

Last edited by F. Silverberg : 07-16-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
fadedsunrise02

Re: running shoes

Quote:
A decent pair of running shoes vary in costs, but you shouldn't be paying more than $60 TBH
IMO, cheaper might actually be better. Don't get it too clunky, get something that allows you to actually feel the ground underneath your feet and have some semblance of toe gripping. It will teach you how to run correctly, and save you heartache and other aches in the long run. And don't replace as often as they say-really, the shoe should just be something to protect your feet from glass/bacteria as you let your body do the rest of the work.

This is coming from a runner with extremely flat, almost nonexistent arches. Initially, I bought
into the running shoe buying and replacing recommendations hook, line, and sinker. I gradually developed more and more aches and pains-including back, hips, knees, and could run less and less. Finally, I decided to throw out my orthodic inserts, and use a cheaper pair of my cross trainers. I taught myself barefoot running technique-just mimicked it as much as possible with shoes on. Its not perfect, but my hip problems which I've tried tons of stuff to fix are now gone.

Re: other gear
IMO gyms are a good investment. Like a friend said, I think a gym could be a motivating environment-once you get there and plunk yourself into the middle of all these exercising people, you feel weird to just stand there. You end up getting moving in some way or another. Unless you're a very self conscious person, then working out at home might be better.

Quote:
Speed rope (I love jump roping, regular jump ropes aren't suitable for exercising...at least not for me).
Regular ropes are flimsy! It might be because I'm really tall and regular ropes...never are even the right length, but I have one of these too and its very useful for a quick tough workout.
fadedsunrise02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
DatSephirothDude
Yay! ^^~

trainforstrength.com is a great way to workout without using equipment. Click on "workouts", then scroll down and click "Workout 1" and just follow that. If you're aiming to lose weight, just do your cardio exercise you would normally do and add this on days you're not doing cardio. It would help you get lean/cut. If you're looking to get bigger, just increase your calorie intake by about 200 each week and do the workout as well. Though, it would be a lot beneficial if one can get weights.
DatSephirothDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
F. Silverberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedsunrise02 View Post
Stuff
I admit I don't really run much, but my pair of $40 shoes suit me just fine for both my workouts and when I do run, I only used that figure as a theortical ceiling.

I think a gym is only a good investment depending on your goals and your level of discipline. I have a high level of discipline so I do not need a gym at all to accomplish what I want to do, and thus, any additional expenditure would just be a waste to me when everything I need is at home. I'm not a big fan of machines anyway.

Every single pair of regular jump ropes I have tried I broke when trying to use them for exercise. Cheap they are, but you get what you pay for...

Last edited by F. Silverberg : 07-14-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Mozix

:3 the great thing about being in high school and on the cross country team is being able to use the weight room for free
Mozix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
ドラゴン

Thanks for the info. =D
ドラゴン is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
magicaldork

If you have a park district facility you can sometimes score a great deal. My park district offers monthly payments on annual memberships 10-15 per month. For that I get treadmills, weight room, swimming pool, basketball courts, raquetball court, and more.
magicaldork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Sailor♥Lolita
OOOO its shiny!!XD

also if you have room in your computer room go on youtube and look up tai bo they have some clips that really do help but most importent part is to breath!! doing work outs and not keeping a steady flow of oxygen wont help at all!!! keep the heart pumping and you will lose it im lucky and have a friend/rommie who is a fitness guy and was a drill sarg and thats what he tells me all the time
Sailor♥Lolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
x0fairies0x

http://www.exercisetv.tv/ is a great website. For some cable providers they can be found on the OnDemand section for free, which is where I originanlly discovered it. Their website lets you stream videos. However if you want to acutally download them, they will cost quite a bit so I just stick to streaming them online when I am traveling or using my OnDemand when I am at home. There is a variety of workouts availible; some that require basic equipment and some that don't require anything at all. I personally love their videos on pilates and yoga.
x0fairies0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #12
distantarray

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker20.htm

great article, anyone who says that they don't have time or money to workout is just making excuses. The internet provides plenty of information at their finger tips. If you have time to look through this forum you have the time to workout to completely transform your body period.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker20.htm

great article, anyone who says that they don't have time or money to workout is just making excuses. The internet provides plenty of information at their finger tips. If you have time to look through this forum you have the time to workout to completely transform your body period.
WIN!!!

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
nymph62442

I have been going to a high impact work out class 2-3 times a week for the past 2 and a half months. Each class is an hour long and works the entire body. Two pieces of equipement I highly recomment are resistance bands and a kettlebells. My body has changed so much since using these and other simple movements.

you can get the bands cheeply at most department stores, the bells for $20-$40 and up depending on the weight... which might be a lot at the time but worth it!!! You can get these at some departmet stores... target, sears, etc. or a fitness strore.

heres some more info on them:
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitne...leball-workout
http://artofmanliness.com/2009/05/07...ebell-workout/

I started out at 14lbs and was out of shape... I recomend 20lbs for most people, male and female...then go higher if it gets too easy. Its cheeper than buying the lighter ones and working up...just start with a few movements and work your way up more in less time.

And remember when using a kettlebell for swings Keep your back strait and slightly arched!!! It helps to look at one spot on the wall infront of you.

I also highly recomend:
-squats: legs a part, back strait, elbows to knees
-Russian twists: sitting on the ground, legs off the ground with knees bent, twist from side to side. This can be done with or without weight. A kettlebell, weighted ball can be used for extra intensity....you touch it on the ground on each side of your body on each twist.
-mountian climbers: hands on the ground like you are about to do a push up but bring your foot to your hands, then alternate for the other foot at a fast pase...like running or i guess climbing a mountion.
-hip ups: lay on you back, sit you butt close into the sofa, or sturdy chair, put feet on the edge of what you are sitting up to and bring your hips up so your body makes a triange and repeat a bunch
-burpees with a jump: need a picture to explain this one... http://marinesmagazine.dodlive.mil/f...nes_burpee.jpg
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5506104_benefits-burpees.html

Also make sure you warm up before hand: like 3-5 min total of jumping jacks, lunges, stretches, ect. do a number of things so it goes faster...like one set of each movement 10 times. Also cool down with yoga, stretches and holds afterward.
http://www.usfsa.org/content/Exercises.pdf
^^ warm ups and cool downs are in here, I do most of them in my class, all verry good!!!

Hope this Helps!!! ^_^ I know i once HATED to work out but I LOVE this! Keep moving from one thing to the next every so often to keep yourself intrested/motivated/distracted, it make it more fun than doing somethign like running on a treadmill or down the street for 30 min.
nymph62442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #15
Ledi

Helpful thread! Thanks.
Ledi is offline   Reply With Quote