Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-17-2010, 04:26 AM   #46
Roozu
That's Elet-tri-tri-tric!

I'm not completely sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but it seems like it would fit.

As with others, I am new to the entire "steampunk" community. A friend asked if I would like to join a group her and a few friends were planning and I accepted because, hell, seemed pretty fun. It's the type of group where we are all making alternate personas and I have just came up with the jist of my alter ego, but even though I'm new, I'd like to make this as accurate and "working" as I can.

But because I'm dumb and whatnot, I really would rather not choose a "cliche" profession or make a "typical" steampunk persona. (And I hope I don't sound like a snob or anything. It's just..I don't want to be "oh just another airship captain" even though there is nothing wrong with airship captains).

So could those who know more about this community share some light on the "overused" and "underused" occupations or duties surrounding this genre.

I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks. C:

Unread 07-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #47
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

It's not the job, it's the quality. Worry more about whether you look great than whether too many people have used the same profession for inspiration that you did.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #48
Roozu
That's Elet-tri-tri-tric!

^Yeah, you're right.

Maybe I was just being paranoid and whatnot since I'm new to this, but thinking about it. . .you're right.

Thanks for that small tidbit. . .I'm so going to remember that.
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #49
Kaoshima
Legendary Prosecutor

There are plenty of other "classes" to think about though if you wish to bend the mold a little. You could be the Genius Mechanic/Tinkerer, the Hired Gun/Muscle, the "Roustabout" (cabin boy/street urchin basically, sometimes assistant to the Tinkerer) the Good Doktor, (and yes, I mean the meniacal, german accent, bringing things to life kind), the Soldier/Ex-Soldier (may overlap a bit with Hired Gun), the Flying Ace, etc... the sky's the limit.
Kaoshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #50
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

Hey, I'm a little new to the steampunk thing, just learned about it actually at the convention I was just at last weekend (they had, like, five booths that sold Steampunk gear and I got to talking with some of the dealers about it.)

I want to design a kind of old west based steampunk out fit based on a picture my friend took ( http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/a...nspiration.jpg ) and was wondering if a vest like this would be accurate: http://www.theoldwestgallery.com/ser...ES-VEST/Detail I just kind of googled old west patterns (not wanting to fall into the typical corset trap) and found this, and since the internet is always right (sarcasm) I was hoping to get some insight. Don't know when I'll have time to make the outfit, but I'd sort of like to get used to designing.

If anyone has any ideas they'd like to share based on the picture I'd love to hear (or read.) Like I said, I'm completely new and would like to know what some of you experts think and what you get from that picture.

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote