Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
CrazyAnimeChick
General Nerd and Dabbler

OC cosplays?

I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on people who cosplay as original Characters. Yay or nay? Have you ever cosplayed as an OC, or know someone who has. Have you seen any at conventions? any fun OC memories? or is there and OC you want to cosplay?
CrazyAnimeChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
kiratsukai
culture shocked

For myself: nay.

For others: if they're enjoying themselves, more power to them. But I usually don't find myself inspired to approach them, begin a conversation or take a picture. I'm too busy looking for characters I recognize and people who seem to share my interests.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Myself: Did so a few times, but no one recognized me. haha

Others: If its a well done, cool looking, original costume... i take a picture. Half the time, i don't know what character i'm taking a picture of. A few times, its been an OC.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
sythe2010

Never have done it, but I have seen a lot of really well done ones. It's something that I think we'll start to see more of.

Although most of the time it's hard to tell if they're an original character or else you just didn't recognize what they're from.
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
sephygoth
Hater lover

I have more stories of OC's than normal cosplay. If no one has seen your character before, it's NEW, its cool, etc. I've been asked many time "hum, I have to bug you but are those real?" and since my OC are combo crossplays...yeah a deep voice saying "I'm a guy" destroys the fan, they love it if done right.
of course peeps who have no fun usually buy their cosplays and/or components, mess around TOO much(or not enough) or have no skill to use, nor imagination worthy of said reactions. So it's worth it if you are up for the challenge and can take the heat if it's not that good.
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Egotist
ATTENTION!...

I've had fun and pictures taken as two of my OCs, while my third needs some tweaking. It's hard to point out exactly what's "done right" but as long as you have a sense of style, test yourself. One tip from me: wear what you think looks GOOD on you, not what's "right".
Jabbawocky (America's Best Dance Crew)
Crybaby (Crybaby)
Ajax (The Warriors)
Egotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
DarkChaos
SCAD Sequential Student

I'm completely for cosplaying as OCs. I make up lots of characters and have dressed up as one before and it went over extremely well. It is by far not my best cosplay-construction, materials, sewing wise-but it was all made by me, and I had a lot of fun being that character. I'm now working on my next original cosplay and hope it gets good attention, but if not, I still love it! I've done many already established characters and only got a lot of attention for my first cosplay as the others I've done hardly anyone hears about, or in my L case, too many people cosplay.

To me, OC cosplaying is not really about getting attention but dressing up as a character you yourself have created and loved. It's really all about fun and heart which to me, all types of art is meant to be about, and I (personally) do consider cosplaying a type of art.

Ohnah the Shadow (original character) (60% complete) (Progress currently on hold)

Up-Coming Con(s):

AWA: Might be attending.
DarkChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Harra Arial
Phoenix Wright Fanatic

Myself? Most of my "Cosplays" are OCs. I just feel a lot more comfortable in my own characters' costumes than in another.

For others? If you like it, go for it! It's just like Roleplaying, some people prefer Canons, and some prefer OCs, either way you want to slice it is fine with you. If I see a lovely costume, I'll compliment someone on it, regardless if I know the character or not~

That, my dears, is why life is so exciting, because we are different from one-another.

~~~

Care to get in contact with me?
HarraArial@yahoo.com
Drop me an Instant Messenge, I'd be honoured to speak with you~
Harra Arial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #9
amethystducky
Beep Beep

I've cosplayed ocs. Some people are very anal over it though " waaaah, japanese characters only, only pre existing characters waaaaah"

I think its fine. I mean, people from the interbutts recognised my character ( an anthro car, so not hard to mistake)

Cosplay for me is just Costume Play. Aslong as the persons having fun being the character its fine.
Unread 09-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #10
amethystducky
Beep Beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
But I usually don't find myself inspired to approach them, begin a conversation or take a picture.
Wow, thats very closeminded. You're missing out on talking to a person creative and ballsy enough to go as their own creation.
Unread 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Concolor
Creepy Old Guy

I cosplay an OC State Alchemist. Works becuse the uniform is recognizeable, even if the character is not.

MeowAbout Cosplay
Concolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
lexiyee_pop
Lady Lexifer

I did it once. A fantastic artist friend of mine designed a special one for each member of our group. The people at the con loved it, and came up to us a lot to talk about them. The best part was that we got to talk up our friend's art, as well as look super cool.

So I'd say yay, as long as it's awesome.

Currently working on: Ciel's blue dress jacket --- 10% Complete
lexiyee_pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #13
starrypawz

I would consdier it as I have quite a few characters, but to be fair I've got the wrong build and height for quite a few of them. :P So to be fair I probably wouldn't do it unless I had a character of my own I could do. But I guess to a degree my Assassin costume I'm working on is an OC to a degree as it's not meant to be an in game assassin and more of just 'an assassin' even if it's not based on one of my own Assassin's Creed OC's.
starrypawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
DoodlePanda
Banana Hammocks

Some day I would LOVE to cosplay as one of my original characters. I've grown so attached to some of them that it would just make me so warm and fuzzy on the inside to do so, haha. I don't care if anyone is amazed by the designs, considering 99% of them are all very basic and just casual dress anyways, but it would be something I do if I were, say, at a con for three days but didn't want to go dressed up in cosplay each day.

I'd most likely just have to slap on a wig and an outfit I draw said character in, and then go.
Hmm, maybe I'll have to do this~! I've been needing an excuse to dress up as my precious Damon. XP
DoodlePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amethystducky View Post
Wow, thats very closeminded. You're missing out on talking to a person creative and ballsy enough to go as their own creation.
Not necessarily close-minded. I mean, if I see someone in an awesome costume that I don't recognize, sometimes I'll go up and compliment them on the costume, but sometimes I'm too shy, or sometimes I'm worried about mistaking the person for someone else (if it's an OC I have no clue what it's from or even that it's an OC, so I probably wouldn't get it right), so I don't say anything.
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote