Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 653 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #1696
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: Youfukuyasan
Items ordered: Hatsune Miku, Love is War
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: coming

Timeline (how long your order took to process): 2 weeks

I placed the order for this costume on behalf of a friend. We needed a costume quickly and cheaply and for the price, Youfukuyasan seemed to be the best quality available and the closest to home. Youfukuyasan's proprietor, Matsumoto-san contacted me immediately via cellphone to let me know the costume would take about a week to make and confirm that the time limit was okay. I was surprised how quickly he could finish the work and sent the money via bank transfer. With all of the fees included the costume cost about 8,500 yen. I think that's pretty damnned resonable. Unfortunately, youfukuya-san only offers two premade sizes ~ Medium and XL. We needed a small and didn't have time to worry about custom measurements... So thinking we could pin the costume in ~ I asked for the medium.

There was a small blip in communication and I had to email Matsumoto-san once more on his cellphone to let him know I had sent payment a few days earlier. He apologized and followed up immediately. I recieved the costume within a few days of this last e-mail.

Pros: Matsumoto-san is extremely courteous and never once treated me any differently for my non-Japanese name or small mistakes in Japanese grammar. He was very approachable, kind and it was very kind of him to let me know how long it would take even before I finalized the order.

The costume I recieved is very lightweight and is actually higher quality than I expected from the price and the original item image. The garment I recieved is a bit different than the one on the site... but the one I recieved actually fixes the few troubles I had with the original costume (the armband, for instance looks 1,000 times better on the finished piece).

Cons: It is GIGANTIC.

This costume was meant for a size S friend. I'm a size L. A Japanese medium usually won't shimmy on over my thighs. But this medium hangs on me like a small tent. The collar on the shirt is stiff and bulky, making my head look suspended on a blocky pedestal of cloth. The entire shirt seems constructed for a decent-sized man ~ not a woman of any size.

The skirt must be doubled over on the waistband just to keep it from falling off my hips.

The button holes on the false pockets are different sizes.

The armband is sewn onto the shirt sleeves and there are a few nicks from a razor or something else sharp in the enamel used to make the symbol.

The necktie is too thick and there are no darker blue triangles on the gunbelt (accuracy issues I was aware of before ordering).

Final Comments: I'm happy with what we recieved though extremely worried it will fall off of our friend the moment she tries to put it on. Pinning it onto her will be the work of ten thousand safetypins!

If you order from youfukuyasan, I STRONGLY recommend doing the custom sizing. Otherwise, you will be swimming in the costume you receive ^^;;

Final Grade: B

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #1697
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Huh, just noticed I never left a review for my newer wig, so....

Name of Merchant: ProfessionalOnly
Item purchased (please include quantity): 1x PW196 Osaki Nana Black Gothic Cosplay Wig Free Ship (you'll have to search it, since it's spambanned- replace cosplay.com/etc with 'cgi.ebay.com/PW' before the numbers.)
Links to picture(s) of your received item: Cut and styled for my costume
Timeline (how long your order took to process): This I don't recall exactly, but it wasn't very long. A couple weeks at most? Pretty standard for a Hong Kong seller.

Pros: Their wigs are very nice quality for the price and it even has a little skintop at the sidepart. I was pleased with what I got for the price and it was sent with a fleshtone wigcap.

Cons: The wig is pretty small, even on my itty bitty head, but because it's such a close-to-the-head style (and I have long hair), that's understandable. Just be aware that unless you have a REALLY tiny head and/or short hair, this wig and their styles like it probably won't fit you ^^; Also, because it gets so stretched in the back where the hair is short and close to the head, some of the wefts there are slightly exposed... Luckily it isn't noticeable with a black wigcap (and I have almost-black hair anyway), but it's something to be aware of.

Final Grade: A
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA

Last edited by Kitsoru : 08-06-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #1698
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

I'm filling this one out for me and my friend cuz hes not on coscom

Rhapsody Designs
http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/m...8883&protype=9
Sasame from Pretear

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs128.ash2
/39760_430114873584_656528584_4898339_2957751_n.jpg

They made everything but shoes, pants, and wig.

-Pros: Everything fit PERFECTLY, my only thing was the cape was a little long but i actually like the effect it had They were very quick with contact and sent progress pictures which is extremely important to me.

-Cons: They took a lot longer than expected to get the costumes to us, but, they were nice enough to deliever the costumes personally to us at the actual con!

for my friend:

Rhapsody Designs
http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/m...8883&protype=9
Goh from Pretear

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._8264402_n.jpg

[it's the red outfit]

They made everything but shoes, shirt, belts, and wig.

-Pros: Everything was sturdy and extremely well made, good contact and progress pictures are always a plus. They get back to you almost immediately.

-Cons: They took a lot longer than expected to get the costumes to us, but, they were nice enough to deliver the costumes personally to us at the actual con! The pants were a little tight, but that wasn't really their fault as much as it was mine, I've always been bad at taking my own measurements XD I also had a bit of difficulty getting the shoulder armor to stay on, but we also didn't discuss how we were going to do that.

In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart

Last edited by DespairedPheonix : 08-04-2010 at 03:31 PM.
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #1699
HirariDesu
Jew-girl Wonder

Name of Commissioner: Rhapsody Designs

Website: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...=29&ajaxpipe=1

Character Commissioned/Series: Bayonetta (just the catsuit and gloves)

Link to Pictures of Commissioned Item: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...0_581301_n.jpg

Turaround Time: I commissioned it mid-March and it was finished about a week before I needed it (Otakon) But they made EVERYTHING for the catsuit (charms too) and hand-sewed the chains to it.

Pros: They are so pleasant to deal with and very accommodating. They were always prompt with answering my questions, even taking my suggestions, and listening to exactly what it was that I wanted. And for the amount of work they put into the costume, they were very reasonable on the price, too. The costume fit as it should (like a glove! lol) and they were very thorough with gathering my measurements.

Cons: There were pretty much no cons. Not that I can think of. Other than them being in North Carolina - these are commissioners who you'd want to hang out with.

Comments: I would absolutely recommend them to my friends/anyone (and I have!) I plan on commissioning them again in the future. They're amazing and very professional.

Final Grade: A+
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #1700
Miyuki Kurosawa
mew ^^

Name of Commissioner: sweet_oneesama
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...t/27466/cat/20
Character commissioned and series/video game: Asuka Langley from Neon Genesis Evangelion ( Wig)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None yet!
Timeline (how long your order took to process): Less than a month.
Describe your Experience.

Pros: sweet_oneesama is very reasonably priced! She has great communication and would always e-mail me if something fell through. However, she never did send me her work in progress, which that was ok with me ^^ She even express shipped my order in time for my convention!

Cons: None!

Comments: I would definitely suggest sweet_oneesama! She is very kind and gets the job done right ^^

Final Grade: A!
Miyuki Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #1701
angel wings
KIRAH! ^.~\m/✰

review time

Name of Commissioner: animeangel90

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/201679

Character commissioned: Serah Farron (costume and jewelry)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: never recieved so no pictures

Timeline (how long your order took to process): paid in early june was supposed to arrive during mid july was suppose take a month to make but nothing EVER came

Pros: NONE AT ALL PERIOD.

Cons: she's a lying SCAMMER. she contacts me and when i ask for a tracking number numerous times she goes -poof- and I KNOW she's been active judging by her profile on cosplay.com

Comments.: DO.NOT.GO.TO.HER. the B**** contacts me in early june with a quote for a serah farron cosplay and i thought her price was reasonable so i send her the payment the next day at first she kept in contact and answered all my questions she said she would provide progress pictures but i never got those either and so i contact her again asking for the pictures and she claims her internet crashed and when i asked for a tracking number a few weeks later and she says it was shipped and tht she'll get me the tracking number from her "dad" after that communication suddenly dies go figure. she tells me it wld arrive last week but nothing came so i decided to be patient and wait another week well now it is friday and still no costume.i wasted 120$ for nothing since it was past 45 days on paypal i had to call my bank to file a claim.

ughh im soooo angry D<

Final Grade: F- if there was a lower grade than that. i would give her that

Last edited by angel wings : 08-10-2010 at 05:11 PM.
angel wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #1702
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Commissioner: Mandy, Cosplaycommish

Website: http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/m...php?uid=129492

Character Commissioned/Series: Hope Estheim, FFXIII for $285

Link to Pictures of Commissioned Item: album here

Turaround Time: I began the commission in mid April with a September event in mind. I asked for a mid/late August deadline.

Pros: E-mails were promptly answered. My specifications about the cut of the pieces were taken into account and the finished garment is fairly accurate in cut to the references and specifications I sent (I requested leg-belts, pockets, a shorter cut on the jacket and matte fabric for the scarf ~ all of which I recieved). The workmanship is respectable -- most stitches seem tight. The fabrics chosen are, for the most part great and not the cheap kind one usually runs into with cheaper commisioners and factory costumes.

Cons: Communication was very short and stilted. I was called "dear", right off the batt. I know it's silly, but it's a pet peeve of mine to be talked down to in diminunitive terms with someone I'm about to give so much money. My costume was not begun for the longest time, in spite of my early commission date. Instead, quite a few costumes commissioned later than mine were finished earlier and Mandy continued to accept commissions throughout. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but I was given a bit of a run-around reguarding the costume's progress:

May 23 - "I thinki can show you some pics soon."
June 24 - "I think it can get it done in about 2 weeks from now." "I will send u some pics asap."
July 13 - "should be finished in about 2 weeks from now dear."

Finally I had to confront the commissioner about the costume and the images promised. In the end, I recieved no progress pictures, reports or information about the construction process at all. I eventually recieved an apology and finished pictures. I requested one change be made -- in the trim on the scarf which was not provided. She could not provide it, so I requested $5 off the price of the commission, which I recieved.

The pants are the wrong color and while I understand why the mistake was made, I could easily have corrected it in the event I had been asked for clarification or had been shown progress pictures of any sort... The references I sent were figure references and have a sheen on account of the light reflecting off the plastic. Mandy interpreted this as black synthetic leather when it's actually a green matte fabric... this is partially my mistake, but still leaves me with a choice to make about re-commissioning/replacing the pants in 2 weeks or going with synthetic leather of the wrong color in 90 degree heat at Game Show.

I didn't have time to argue... so I paid the balance and had the costume shipped.

When the costume arrived -- it arrived not from San Diego, California where the commissioner claims to live, but instead from someone in China... Wait, what?!

The gloves are gigantic spatulas seemingly designed to fit, not a young woman but a man the size of a small mountain. They are unusable.

The pants fit very loosely... I can make them work, but it will take pins.

The capelet is held onto the jacket by three single stitches... I will need to finish the jacket myself or tape it on with double-sided tape if I want it to hang properly or not fall behind me whenever I move. The capelet is also a smidge too long and covers the detail on the jacket's arms when worn. I'll need to cinch it up.

$40 of the commission charge was shipping. According to the shipping slip, actual cost was a third of the cost charged.

Comments: An incredibly frustrating experience. Wonderful work and fabrics but with poor communication and disingenuous business practices. I still have no idea if she actually made the costume herself or just outsourced the work to a factory in China then charged a middleman fee before presenting it as her own work. This costume was obviously custom made by ~someone~ since so many of my initial requirements ended up being met... I'd just like a better grip on who...

Final Grade: C

Response from the commissioner via e-mail:

Hi,
Recently i found myself banned on cosplay.com and found out that the reason was that people including you said I am a Chinese factory seller. I wish you could have contacted me first before you jumped to this conclusion. First of all, I am not Chinese! I am currently going to school in Shanghai. Secondly, about the shipping label you think proves that the costume came from a Chinese factory - in China, shipping is not done through the post office, it is done through private shipping companies who work with the larger carriers such as UPS and EMS. A friend put me in touch with a shipping company that can offer a discounted rate. This company works a lot with a Shanghai hardware company and therefore has that company's name preprinted on all of their shipping labels. If you had gotten the shipping label properly translated rather than jumping to a conclusion, you would have known that it was from a hardware company. And surely you don't think your costume came from a Shanghai hardware company! Before i came to China, everything I made was sent from San Diego, where I do actually live when not in school.
I have contacted cosplay.com three times via email, but they wont answer me, and I feel like my reputuation got destroyed by what you have said about me. So, I am asking you to please go on cosplay.com to write a retraction to your many misinformative posts. You tarnished my good name and only you can clear it.
Also, about your pants. You told me in the email that you "dig" the pants. So, why did you blast me about the pants on the forum? You never bothered to talk to me about any problems with the pants after you received them. If you had given me the chance, I could have rectified this problem for you.
You should try to understand why I am so upset. Maybe cosplay is just a hobby for you, but for me, commissioning is my livelihood. I am putting myself through school. I have scholarships and the Abroad Study program to help with tuition and such, but as far as housing, meals, etc., commissioning and a little bit of teaching English is all I have to make ends meet. If I lose my reputation, I lose my commissioning and I will be unable to stay in school. I understand that you are unhappy with your costume, but you never even gave me the chance to fix it. I am sorry if I forgot to tell you the package was being sent from China, but I really wish you had asked me instead of jumping to conclusions.
I really do hope you will do the right thing in this unfortunate situation.
Mandy

My response:

1) I had nothing to do with your banning on cosplay.com. You've read the review I posted. That was one of many that seemed to be the impetus behind the decision. I was as surprised as you were.

2) I do dig the pants. The cut is perfect (and I said as much). They're just the wrong color/material. But since this was partially my mistake (which I also said in the review) and I had already had a confrontation with you over the due date and the multiple misrepresentations of the time in which the costume would be finished and had recieved none of the progress photos I was promised, I assumed that arguing would result in either my costume arriving after my deadline or that it would cause a charge for more materials or alterations which I could not afford. I decided it wasn't worth further confrontation, so I complimented the cut, paid the balance and took the costume.

3) It is not my responsibility to learn Chinese to figure out what's going on. It's your responsibility to tell your customers where items will come from, how and when. It's also your responsibility to charge them a fair shipping price. As someone who ships items worldwide all the time ~ I know that $40 was more than sufficient to send a package without using any discount services. I also know the package bore no signature and was suspicious to my post office. They very nearly sent it back because the package was not in compliance with Japanese postal code.

My advice would be to be COMPLETELY transparent with your customers to avoid misunderstandings... not to get angry with them when misunderstandings occur. Acknowledging that legitimate misunderstandings may have contributed to our deal going awry ~ I've posted your email in-full after my review. That said, I intend to retract none of the original review. I think it is a sound one and all of the concerns I had are still concerns that I would encourage others to consider before commissioning.

-Kira

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 09-04-2010 at 09:39 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #1703
songbirdblues
let's sing to the sky

Name of Merchant: Epic Cosplay
Item purchased (please include quantity): * 40" Black Straight Long Cosplay Wig *

Links to picture(s) of your received item: link (the day I received the wig)

After I cut the front layers for short bangs

Timeline (how long your order took to process): 2-3 day process
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.:

•Pros: The shipping was super quick. I ordered the wig on Saturday night and received it today in the mail! I also contact the website with a question about their clip-on selections and received an e-mail message back shortly after!

•Con: Very little, but I had hope it would be shipped in a box. Instead it was shipped in those white mailing envelope. Nonetheless, the wig came in great condition!

I really really recommend them The service is great!

Last edited by songbirdblues : 09-19-2010 at 11:13 AM.
songbirdblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:47 AM   #1704
lynnafred
The Pioneer of Crumpets

Name of Commissioner CarrotAnime
Website/C.com gallery http://carrotanime.com/store/
Character commissioned and series/video game Jin Kisaragi (BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger) - tunic, coat, sleeves, boot covers, gloves, belt, cross shaped buttons
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item the entire set is here.
Timeline (how long your order took to process) First contacted on 11 March; first part of costume arrived 27 April, second in mid-June. (read below)
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. This cosplay has been an absolute nightmare from the time it was shipped to me to the time I wore it to Otakon 2010. (A damn shame, because the first thing I commissioned from them has been really good to me.)

Communication was smooth at first; I got fairly prompt responses (keyword: fairly) and payment was set up and underway in no time. Then, for about two and a half weeks, my emails went unanswered until pictures were ready. Everything seemed okay with the pictures at first, but the coat seemed to be hanging wrong. I'd attributed it to the costume hanging up on a dress form rather than on me, and gave them the green light to send it on its merry way. On 18 April, the costume was supposedly sent; there was supposed to be a tracking number (which I never got, btw.) After sending a few more ignored emails, on 27 April, I was finally told that the package had shipped. Literally ten minutes after that, the thing came landing on my doorstep in a great big plastic-and-tape-wrapped blob. After dissecting it, I laid the pieces out. Something was wrong: I was missing a piece of my costume. The bottom of the tunic. That's where the fun really began.

The tunic had been made in two separate parts: a wrap-around "top" that was very difficult to tie and a skirtlike "bottom." I immediately sent them another email telling them I was missing the bottom half of the tunic. I got a reply telling me that they had no clue what I was talking about. No emails were answered after that, and by this point, I was more wrapped up in my finals than in this hot mess of a cosplay. Three weeks later, another package landed on my doorstep. The bottom of the tunic. Now, with all pieces in hand, I could try it on.

The coat fit all wrong, and acted and assembled nothing like Jin's coat actually would have, nor was it according to any of the reference pictures I'd sent to them. The buttons were big and clunky and held on with cheap pins that continually broke; there were inaccuracies with the costume that couldn't be seen in the pictures that had been sent to me. I was very unhappy, and I was hard pressed for time to fix them all before Otakon. Worst of all, the bottom of the tunic didn't fit me while I was binding - it was still too small. I had to remake entire panels of the "skirt" to make it hang right (and even then, it was wrong,) as well as make it a new waistband. The "sleeves" were supposed to attach directly to my arms via elastic bands that slipped and cut off my circulation all day instead of being held up by the extremely cheap pins they'd made. The coat wasn't lined like it had been agreed on, and the lack of interfacing where it really needed it made it fall even more awkwardly on me than it did on their damn dress form. The boot covers didn't fit ANY of my shoes, despite giving them measurements of my foot in the shoe I'd have been wearing, and the snaps on the belt didn't hold together by themselves and had to be pinned to stay in place, and the "buttons" and sleeves were hanging on all day thanks to small miracles and hot glue...mostly hot glue.

Needless to say, I've sunk just about as much as I paid for this costume in alterations to it, and I'm not even done yet. The only part of the costume that actually fit me well were the gloves, and in Baltimore's extreme 100+ degree heat that day, I couldn't keep them on. Damn shame, really. I'm never commissioning from these guys ever again. I'm better off just making (and screwing it up) myself next time.

Final Grade: D-

Definite Cosplays 2011:
I have no idea what I'm doing anymore... ._.

Feel free to add me on facebook! (Just let me know who you are so I don't o_O)

Last edited by lynnafred : 08-10-2010 at 05:05 AM.
lynnafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #1705
Nayuki07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post

Character Commissioned/Series: Hope Estheim, FFXIII for $285

Link to Pictures of Commissioned Item: album here

Turaround Time: I began the commission in mid April with a September event in mind. I asked for a mid/late August deadline.

Pros: E-mails were promptly answered. My specifications about the cut of the pieces were taken into account and the finished garment is fairly accurate in cut to the references and specifications I sent (I requested leg-belts, pockets, a shorter cut on the jacket and matte fabric for the scarf ~ all of which I recieved). The workmanship is respectable -- most stitches seem tight. The fabrics chosen are, for the most part great and not the cheap kind one usually runs into with factory costumes.

Cons: Communication was very short and stilted. I was called "dear", right off the batt. I know it's silly, but it's a pet peeve of mine to be talked down to in diminunitive terms with someone I'm about to give so much money. My costume was not begun for the longest time, in spite of my early commission date. Instead, quite a few costumes commissioned later than mine were finished earlier and Mandy continued to accept commissions throughout. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but I was given a bit of a run-around reguarding the costume's progress:

May 23 - "I thinki can show you some pics soon."
June 24 - "I think it can get it done in about 2 weeks from now." "I will send u some pics asap."
July 13 - "should be finished in about 2 weeks from now dear."

Finally I had to confront the commissioner about the costume and the images promised. In the end, I recieved no progress pictures, reports or information about the construction process at all. I eventually recieved an apology and finished pictures. I requested one change be made -- in the trim on the scarf which was not provided. She could not provide it, so I requested $5 off the price of the commission, which I recieved.

The pants are the wrong color and while I understand why the mistake was made, I could easily have corrected it in the event I had been asked for clarification or had been shown progress pictures of any sort... The references I sent were figure references and have a sheen on account of the light reflecting off the plastic. Mandy interpreted this as black synthetic leather when it's actually a green matte fabric... this is partially my mistake, but still leaves me with a choice to make about re-commissioning/replacing the pants in 2 weeks or going with synthetic leather of the wrong color in 90 degree heat at Game Show.

I didn't have time to argue... so I paid the balance and had the costume shipped.

When the costume arrived -- it arrived not from San Diego, California where the commissioner claims to live, but instead from someone in China... Wait, what?!

The gloves are gigantic spatulas seemingly designed to fit, not a young woman but a man the size of a small mountain. They are unusable.

The pants fit very loosely... I can make them work, but it will take pins.

The capelet is held onto the jacket by three single stitches... I will need to finish the jacket myself or tape it on with double-sided tape if I want it to hang properly or not fall behind me whenever I move. The capelet is also a smidge too long and covers the detail on the jacket's arms when worn. I'll need to cinch it up.

$40 of the commission charge was shipping. According to the shipping slip, actual cost was a third of the cost charged.

Comments: An incredibly frustrating experience. Wonderful work and fabrics but with poor communication and disingenuous business practices. I still have no idea if she actually made the costume herself or just outsourced the work to a factory in China then charged a middleman fee before presenting it as her own work. This costume was obviously custom made by ~someone~ since so many of my initial requirements ended up being met... I'd just like a better grip on who...

This is spot on! Shes been "working" on my sailor saturn costume since late july and its now august and the only time i heard anything from her was when i asked how things were going. my deadline is November this year so i suppose she put mine on the backburner and is getting other peoples costumes done first. This is my second time ordering from her. the first time she had a one month deadline and it was done in 3 weeks. and it also had the from china slip!
Nayuki07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #1706
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 05:02 AM   #1707
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Hunny_Lee

Name of Commissioner: hunny_lee
Website/C.com gallery: http://stores.ebay.com/hunny-lee
Character commissioned and series/video game: Starlock Simon from Gurren Lagann
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6662443_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...8645 12_n.jpg
Timeline: I asked her for it about a month in advance from when i needed it
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.

EXPERIENCE:
I bought the coat for my boyfriend, since he always wanted to cosplay Starlock Simon. So i'm leaving this review in place of him :3

She was super nice to me, and very polite. I asked her for just Simon's coat, since i had made the rest of the costume already. I also needed it by the end of the month (ordering it at the very beginning of the month) for Anime Expo. She raised the price a bit for the rush order, as well as for the shipping (overnighting it or something). It ended up being the same price as if i had regular ordered the entire costume... which i didn't mind the price. After all, i WAS having her rush order it. She kept trying to make me do it outside of eBay... which i wouldn't do, since i didn't want any chances of her scamming me (if it came terribly, i'd have no eBay to protect me). She raised the price AGAIN... but whatever. Haha.

PROS:
It actually arrived on time, even a week earlier than i needed! Everything on it is beautiful. The flames aren't accurate, but the way she did them makes them look even cooler than they're supposed to. They're silk-screened on, too, which looks really nice. The materials is really nice.. the jacket is just really great!

CONS:
1. Did she really need to raise the price so high? The entire outfit was like, $140 total or something. I offered $80 for just the coat (thinking i was being generous). It ended up $130 for everything... was that really necessary? I mean, i was being NICE by saying such a high price... and she raised it even higher. If i weren't so desperate to get it on time, i'd probably not have done it. Though its still such a nice coat for a good price... a higher price than it should be, but still good.
2. Within five seconds of opening the bag, all the buttons fell off the coat. They were all just hot glued on. Terribly. Not really a problem, since i just glued them all back on. Though one of them came off during Anime Expo O_< Lost it forever.
3. Some of the seam areas look a little... weird. I only noticed this like, TONIGHT. Months after getting the coat. But like, where she'd sew the inside lining together... its kinda sloppy. Though i didn't even notice before, and its really hard to tell anyways. But it does look a little sloppy there.
4. The coat collar is too short for the character... hard to tell something like that on a mannequin. Wish i'd known somehow so i could have requested it be taller ><
5. The material used is a little... bright. His coat is supposed to be navy blue, but she used a slightly dark blue. It was that way in the pictures, though, so i can't complain. And his armband wasn't in the pictures or final product either, so we had to buy a random chunk of red fabric and put it on him.

GRADE:
Well, despite all the mistakes along the way... i did get a nice coat in two weeks for less than $150. Its a beautiful coat, despite all the minor flaws. So i really can't complain. But she loses points due to the buttons falling off and the crappy sewing skills at some parts.

So i'll give her an A-.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!

Last edited by Axelai : 08-15-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #1708
Saber-chan

Character Commissioned/Series: Originally Neviril in Sibylla dress, but really the outfit works for any of the girls in the Simoun series. I needed the Sibylla dress, white underdress, the pendant, a ribbon, and a wig.

Link to Pictures of Commissioned Item: I was testing it out yesterday so this is all I've got. I didn't have the pendant on and I'll explain about the wig. The socks and shoes were not part of the commission, nor was the book.

Here's what the first pendant looked like though. And here's the original wig from one of her progress works.

Turnaround Time: I began the commission in mid-February and got the final bit yesterday, August 11. The original deadline was in time for Otakon at the end of July.

Pros: I thought I'd have no trouble with her, being as I had used her before for a different costume and had no issues that time. This time... well it was definitely a lot different.

At first everything seemed fine. There was no trouble, I got pictures of everything. The end product I got yesterday was much better. The dress fits me well and the second pendant is very show accurate and the right size this time. She made sure the ribbon was removable and everything.

I will mention the pros of the second Sibylla dress, since I can say good things about that. As to why there's a second one, well, see the cons below. The dress itself is a wonderful fit. Perfect length in the arms, close fitting, accurate. No issues with this one, save for the fastening bit in the cons section.

Cons: The first issue was the wig. She had apparently teamed up with someone who could do wigs. The character I had picked has lots of hair and her hair in a sort of tails style. So I figured I'd give it a shot. Result? Don't have them do a wig. It was a strange style to begin with and this is what they could give me: here and here. It wasn't completely accurate, but it didn't look bad. However, when it got here, it was in the package with everything else and by the time I put it on a wig head, it really didn't have much style to it. It wasn't useable so I took it apart.

Second issue: The original pendant I received was much too big. In fact, it looked gaudy. It doesn't look bad in this image, but it's too big. That's why I had a second one done and this time made sure to specify sizes. I'll take the blame on that one.

Third issue: The Sibylla dress. There are two parts to this outfit. There's a white underdress with a collar that goes close to the neck and then there's the main tan piece. So we'll start with the underdress.

I had told her there was no set design for the dress, as all you see is the high collar and the bit that shows through on the front. When I put this on, the neck was huge, much too big to look decent. I'm not a sewer (hence why I commission), but my mom was able to fix this for me so it rested snugly against my neck. The dress was made sleeveless, which was nice because it would be less layers with the dress that when over top.

Now on to the dress itself. The first one I got was way too big. The arm holes were twice the size of what I needed and the dress hung off my shoulders. I couldn't understand why there was such a difference between this outfit and the last one.

It was the beginning of June at this point. I contacted her, she said to send measurements again just to make sure, along with additional ones, and that yes, I'd have it in time for Otakon. At this point I commissioned her to make a second ribbon (I'd switched characters), and another pendant that was a specific size.

I hear nothing from her until the weekend of July 4 and that she's going to start the costume. At this point I'm wondering how it'll be done in time since I know how long it took the previous two times, but she still says no problem, it'll be done.

The first thing was cost. I got slammed with more than I thought because it turns out the original measurements she used (that I had given her) were different than the new ones provided. When I had my first outfit done, the person measuring me had flubbed up. Mandy apparently thought these measurements were strange, but instead of contacting me on that first outfit and telling me, she made her own adjustments and never told me that either.

So when I had this Sibylla dress done, I sent the same measurements again. After all, they had worked well the first time, so why not use them again since it hadn't been that long ago? Well, she never made the adjustments like with the other outfit so that was why it was so big. She blamed me for it, and I'm willing to say that yes, those measurements may have been taken wrong, but how was I to know if I wasn't told they seemed funny and that she had made the changes before? If I had been told the first time, I would have made sure they were corrected. But whatever I paid the costs.

Around the 15th of July I messaged again, wondering about the outfit. After all, Otakon was the 29th and I would leave the 28th. Still, she said it would be done and there would be pics in a few days.

Otakon came and went. As had been my gut feeling, nothing was done in time. I didn't get anything again until August 4, when she said it was ready to ship. I still hadn't had any pics of the new stuff. I did get an image of the new pendant, which turned out much better, but I had no idea about the size so I wasn't going to hold my breath. I wanted to see it in person.

August 11 I received the package. I got the package more quickly this time. All her packages come from China (since apparently she's living there at this point), but this time it also was given a California shipping label after it crossed the sea. Odd, since I'd never seen that before. I also usually have to pick the package up at the post office because I get one of those slips in my mailbox. However, this time it was able to be delivered to my residence.

I open the package and am really hoping things are okay this time around. I check the pendant first. It's the right size, though the hole for a chain is too small. She tells me it's wood and that the hole can be made bigger. I still have to find out how to do that.

I get a second white underdress this time. I didn't ask for that one and didn't need it, but I try it on anyway. Seems she forgot she made the first one without sleeves, as this one has 3/4 sleeves. There's also what appears to be yellow chalk on it, which is not a big thing since the dress is hidden. the collar is better this time, but still big. It would work if I needed it in a pinch I suppose.

And then I put the Sibylla dress on over that. The only con I have with this dress is that she forgot to sew in the ties that would allow me to fasten one side to the other. I can get someone to do that for me, but it's still frustrating since it should have already been there.

The new ribbon is so-so. It's too... large on the sides. I think I can get someone to make me a new one, but that one appears too gaudy. When I asked for a new one, I wanted her to make it just as she had the purple one, but extend the tails since the ribbon is actually supposed to tie the dress together on the front. I got that frilly thing instead.

Comments: Much more frustrating this time around and I didn't have what I wanted by deadline, even with the second promise that I would. I also don't like having to make changes to the outfit when it should have been pretty much wearable to begin with, especially when those things were on the first outfit. After this time, I won't be using her again because my new outfit is going to be more detailed than either of the ones I've commissioned and expensive. I'd like to find someone US based this time as well and someone who can meet the deadline more efficiently. I do not recommend her for wigs at all, even though it's someone she's paired up with. The accessory I got was accurate, just size was bad first time, which was my own fault for not being specific enough.
Illysaviel (Fs/n): casual wear (Saturday; photoshoot only)

Last edited by Saber-chan : 08-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Saber-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #1709
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Name of Commissioner: i-sew
Website/C.com gallery: http://i-sew.livejournal.com/
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Maid outfit for a Maid Cafe job
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None, because SHES A SCAMMER.
Timeline (how long your order took to process): Never got it
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.

Its been several months, so some of the details of this are long gone from my head. But i thought i'd warn everyone about her.

I had a marketplace ad, asking for someone to make me a maid dress and apron for a job, since i had recently been hired into an anime maid cafe job. She seemed the most legit, being very polite, showing me pictures of previous work, etc. It was my first time commissioning an item... so i was a little cautious. She said it was fine, etc, and the total price ended up $150 for the black dress and a light green apron. We agreed i'd send her half the money first, then the rest once i saw a few progress pictures.

After awhile, she mentioned she has another costume to make first, then she'll start on mine.

A month passes. She hasn't started mine. She tells me that her personal life is getting in the way, her car broke down, etc. Just a LOT of excuses to why she hasn't started.

Another month. She says she bought the fabric, and it cost a little more than the $70 i sent. She asks for the rest... i told her i'd send it once i see pictures of it started, or even just pictures of the fabric. She refuses, wanting the money. Well, i'm starting to get the scammer vibe now... so i tell her to please just send a picture of the fabric and i'll send the money. Once again, she refuses.

After a small argument, with me telling her that if she's scamming me, that's so not cool... she proceeds to bitch me out, telling me that not everyone online is a scammer, and that i'm just trying to cheat her out of money. I told her to just send ONE picture, and she'd have the money.

Finally, i try and go to paypal to settle the dispute. Well, it's been too long, and they can't do it. They told me on the phone they'd get around to it within 6 months, but they never did.

She told me basically that she'd keep the money. I told her to scan the receipt, i'd pay the difference, and to mail me the fabric cuz i'd do it myself. Never did. Probably just took the money and ran. There's $70 i'll never see again.

Final Grade: F----------------! Freggin scammer.

And not just to me. I read some of her posts to other people on LJ, and she's always bitching people out. Just a very rude, bitchy person.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!

Last edited by Axelai : 08-15-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #1710
Goldie
Resident Gamer

Name of Commissioner: Miss Valentine
Website/C.com gallery www.ladyboihazard.webs.com
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.)Bleach/Orihime wig
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item I do not have a good picture yet.
Timeline (how long your order took to process) 2 weeks
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. I contacted Miss. Valentine 2 weeks ago about getting a new wig for my Orihime cosplay. She got back with me in days. She is super nice and she was really reasonable. My wig was $61 because I ordered new flower hair pens to come with it. I was her first commission. She styled the wig at this small con in Birmingham. The wig she got for me is really nice and very easy to keep up with. I highly recommand Miss Valentine.

PS I have her contact information if you need me to apply to this thread.
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote