Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 08-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Commissioners Who Don't Respond?

Well, this is something thats starting to annoy me... and i was wondering if its normal, or people just don't like me on this site :\

So i decide i'd like to commission something, and i send a few emails out. Lets say, i ask about three or four commissioners for a price quote, as i plan on picking whoever seems most qualified with the best price.

I wait. And wait. And wait. Eventually, maybe one or two of them will respond.

Soooo what happened to the other people?

Sometimes, i'll get a response that says they're full and not accepting more commissions. Sometimes i'll get a response that says they don't think they can make it. But the vast majority of the time, i don't even get a response.

Is this normal? I thought it was just courtesy to say "Sorry, i can't" or something. Otherwise, i keep checking my email for nothing, waiting for a response that will never come. Its so stupid. I even had one guy say he could make the item, agree to it, then he said he'd give me a quote when he checked the price of materials. Then he never replied again. Its like... if its too expensive, at least TELL ME that! Don't just drop off the face of the earth...

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
dizzylizzy
I sew things

I know from experience I've had a good number of emails go to my "spam" folder even though they are not spam.

Some commissioners also get A LOT of emails and honestly don't have time to respond to every one of them. From my own experience, there have been times where I would spend 3-5 hours JUST doing email (send quotes, regrets, updates...) and it's on top of a full time job, commission sewing, my own sewing, family/life, and school. Every day was at least 1 hour of emails and then the 3-5 would be on, let's say, a Sunday night.

It's really hard to keep up on. Once you fall behind, it's a constant catch-up that never ends. It's just one person, doing everything, from work to customer service. Sometimes, you just gotta let some slide and unfortunately not respond.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dizzy...49665061805445
dizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
xSYN
syn haedas.

i too have had this one commissioner once just stop emailing after i'd asked for payment details. :V
it's like... okay we discuss everything; materials, more reference images, how long she'd take, the price, and she agrees to take this commission... then i ask her for her bank details so i can pay her before she started and she just... stopped replying.

our emails had been pretty regular, she'd take four days tops to reply to an email, then all of a sudden, she'd stopped replying for a couple of months.

the next email she sent me was confirming on the color, i responded and she'd replied a few days later saying she'd start soon so i emailed back asking for details so i could pay her..... and then i never heard back from her ever again.

this started sometime in march or april last year, last email i received from her was in september the same year.

i was disappointed, 'cause i heard a lot of good things about her and my experience was nothing near good. :V
i commissioned a costume once before this (and once more after), and i used to know quite a few commissioners in person around that time so i know not all commissioners just drop of the face of the earth after agreeing to take on your project. i however haven't had any never respond at all, though some take a few days to email back, so i'm not sure about that.
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzylizzy View Post
I know from experience I've had a good number of emails go to my "spam" folder even though they are not spam.

Some commissioners also get A LOT of emails and honestly don't have time to respond to every one of them. From my own experience, there have been times where I would spend 3-5 hours JUST doing email (send quotes, regrets, updates...) and it's on top of a full time job, commission sewing, my own sewing, family/life, and school. Every day was at least 1 hour of emails and then the 3-5 would be on, let's say, a Sunday night.

It's really hard to keep up on. Once you fall behind, it's a constant catch-up that never ends. It's just one person, doing everything, from work to customer service. Sometimes, you just gotta let some slide and unfortunately not respond.
I understand that... but it only takes two seconds to send a message that says "I'm full on commissions. Sorry." Even if its short and unprofessional, thats better than being left waiting.

Unread 08-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
dizzylizzy
I sew things

Oh believe me, I answer every email I get unless one falls through the cracks. I'm just letting you in on some of the factors that can happen. Again, when someone gets 20 emails a day, it IS hard to stay on top and answer them all. I really can't speak for all commissioners and only for myself.

You can always try to send a second email a week later to see if they did get your message.

Last edited by dizzylizzy : 08-27-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Oh believe me, I answer every email I get unless one falls through the cracks. I'm just letting you in on some of the factors that can happen. Again, when someone gets 20 emails a day, it IS hard to stay on top and answer them all. I really can't speak for all commissioners and only for myself.

You can always try to send a second email a week later to see if they did get your message.
Yeah, but i don't like to badger people... i once bugged a commissioner every week or so to ask about the commission... and they got fed up with me and ended up screwing it up on purpose :'| So i keep it a habit to not bother them.

Unread 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
dizzylizzy
I sew things

If you email them a second time, a week later it's not badgering or bothering them. If they don't respond after that, then move on. Obviously they are unable or don't want to do the project. :/ (and not worth pondering over)

I've had instances where I have missed an email and people have emailed me saying "did you get my email about doing a commission?" Like I said before sometimes it hits spam box or sometimes with SO many emails, you miss some. It doesn't hurt to check up at least once. But yah, I can see checking several times about a possible commission can get "annoying," but they brought it upon themselves.

If the commissioner gave you info and started the process (minus doing a down payment), they really should get back to you ASAP. It's not right to leave people hanging that are interested in having you do a costume/wig for them. Plus, they gotta set up their own schedule for the product, so they'd be screwing themselves in the process too. It's a no win for anyone.

Unread 08-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
If the commissioner gave you info and started the process (minus doing a down payment), they really should get back to you ASAP. It's not right to leave people hanging that are interested in having you do a costume/wig for them. Plus, they gotta set up their own schedule for the product, so they'd be screwing themselves in the process too. It's a no win for anyone.
Yeah. i had one guy i mentioned who told me he'd do it, and to wait for him to figure out a price. Then he never replied back. I emailed him twice since to no avail :\ Which sucks a LOT, since he did good work.

Unread 08-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Yeah. It was when I was looking for someone to do my white Kaya outfit. I emailed three people, one of which was recommended by a friend of mine who'd had a costume made from this person before (and it was gorgeous!). I never heard anything at all from the first two, then the third one was the charm. I seemed to catch her at a bad time though since after the first email saying she'd do it and how much I didn't hear for well over a week (I forget how long it really was, but eh); turns out she'd gone on a family trip and couldn't get reliable Internet on the road.

For the most part, though, I agree with DizzyLizzy; I don't get nearly as many emails as commissioners, but even the ones I do get from friends I sometimes forget about because I say "eh, I'll reply later" and later comes.....three weeks after the fact xD;;
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Missha
Super Turbo Nerdy.

Did something happen with the Dream-Angels.net team? o_o

Because I commissioned them for my Rinoa duster and arm warmers back at the end of May, early June, and after them emailing back, saying they got my measurements and they'd send it out asap, I haven't heard a word.

It's been about 3-4 months now...I like to give commissioners time to work, but 3-4 months? O_O I keep trying to get ahold of them but I get auto-responses.

I got two other things from them, and I'd really like my outfit before the weather turns cold so I'm just wondering if anyone else has had issues?
Missha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missha View Post
Did something happen with the Dream-Angels.net team? o_o

Because I commissioned them for my Rinoa duster and arm warmers back at the end of May, early June, and after them emailing back, saying they got my measurements and they'd send it out asap, I haven't heard a word.

It's been about 3-4 months now...I like to give commissioners time to work, but 3-4 months? O_O I keep trying to get ahold of them but I get auto-responses.

I got two other things from them, and I'd really like my outfit before the weather turns cold so I'm just wondering if anyone else has had issues?
I wouldn't have the slightest clue :\ Sorry

Unread 09-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
Saber-chan

I'm currently getting fed up with a commissioner I'm trying to work with. They were originally commissioned mid-June for a wig and told me they'd have it for my deadline at the end of July. I received an email a week before the deadline that said due to personal issues they couldn't and was told I'd be given a refund and 20% off in the future. I said no, keep working. A month goes by and I hear nothing. I contact them at the end of August and get nothing until I send a second email nearly 5 days later. They do not give any updates on the progress of the wig, but simply ask for my new deadline. I send it back and then hear nothing again. I've emailed them today asking for an update on the progress (because I'm beginning to think they haven't even started it), my exact deadline, and then the choice of a refund, which I had been offered before.

I am not happy with this person so far because the communication shouldn't be so short when I am trying to figure out where they are with it. I'm in the dark. If they'd simply said what the progress was and when it'd be done, I'd have been happy and would have left them to it. But this only leaves me antsy and in the dark about what the heck's going on.
Illysaviel (Fs/n): casual wear (Saturday; photoshoot only)
Saber-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
FluffyCoatIzaya
I Love Izaya Orihara ^^

saber maybe you should post this and the name of the commissioner , in the shops not to go to thread.
FluffyCoatIzaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
Saber-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoPanda View Post
saber maybe you should post this and the name of the commissioner , in the shops not to go to thread.

I will if things end up going really sour. Right now I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and see what happens but when I find this transaction to be completed, I will be leaving detailed feedback in the Review thread as well as posting there.
Illysaviel (Fs/n): casual wear (Saturday; photoshoot only)
Saber-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

In the past, I've emailed about commissions from websites like dream-angles and carrotanime, and never got any replies back. It is pretty annoying, because since then, I've read reviews from people that just got a costume from them.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Sayaka Miki [mermaid] (Madoka Magica), Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service)

ALA cosplay: Tetra (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker), Medli (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker), Sayaka Miki [mermaid] (Madoka Magica), Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is online now   Reply With Quote