Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Mimiru1618

Gaining Weight

I didn't see a thread out there, so I'll post it myself~.

Most threads I see are about loosing weight, well...I don't have that problem, I have the opposite. I struggle to gain weight. I'm 20 years old, weigh between 95-100 lbs, and I'm 5'2". I have never weighed 2 lbs above 100. Most people will consider me lucky, but I see it as a curse, because my health is indeed at risk. People say I need to eat more, that I'm starving myself, when the flat out truth is I'm a pig. I can sit there and stuff my face all day and not gain a pound. Maybe it's because that's what I'm trying to do...I'm not sure, but nothing works. I mainly eat chicken, red meat, chips, ice cream, I drink caffeinated drinks or water. I love cheese, and quiznos double cheese cheese steak is my absolute favorite. I love Chinese and Mexican food too. I do not eat a lot of chocolate, and I really like ravioli. Saying that, I'm thinking I need to cut down on the white meat and this is why:

My mother went on a diet and lost several lbs in the first week eating nothing but meat and taking vitamin tablets. She said white meat makes you fuller quicker and tricks your body into burning calories. It worked like a charm and now she's at her comfortable weight and can maintain it.

I'm not looking to gain 'omg 10-15 pounds', but I'd like to at least get to 102 and be a bit more satisfied, right now I'm at my higher weight of 100. I like being skinny, I really do, and I don't think gaining a few extra would ruin the costumes I already have, which were custom made for my waist.

No I will not take medication to slow my speedy metabolism down. Once it slows it's that way forever. And it can drastically change how that works, and I'm not willing to risk having a slow as Christmas metabolism.

So my question is, is there anyone out there with a problem like mine? And if so, what do you do to gain a little bit of weight to maintain a healthy look?
Modern Trap Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji

Possible Future Cosplays
Cross Marian - D. Gray Man
Adell - Disgaea 2
Flonne - Disgaea
Cosmos - Dissidia
Yulia - Tales of the Abyss
Lucrecia Crescent - Dirge of Cerberus
Lelouch - Code Geass
Mimiru1618 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
kristihasukie

GOD WHY CANT I HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

I have a friend who has this problem. also but he has been gaining muscle weight by working out for an hour then drinking a Drink Called Muscle Milk. Staying Away from Soy because it raises your Estrogen Levels. and it has been working so far.
EATTING peanut butter and lots of eggs =D for the protein
PM me if you want to be invited to a Private [18+] Event at Oni-Con & Blizz-Con.
kristihasukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Mimiru1618

I'll definitely keep that in mind! 8D Thank you so much! <3

Possible Future Cosplays
Adell - Disgaea 2
Flonne - Disgaea
Cosmos - Dissidia
Lelouch - Code Geass
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
kristihasukie

If your ever in Texas for a Con, OUR Southern food will make you gain 10lbs in one day =D lol J/k
PM me if you want to be invited to a Private [18+] Event at Oni-Con & Blizz-Con.
kristihasukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Mimiru1618

I'll definitely consider it! I'm from Alabama, you'd think all that fried food would do something D:

Possible Future Cosplays
Adell - Disgaea 2
Flonne - Disgaea
Cosmos - Dissidia
Lelouch - Code Geass
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristihasukie View Post
GOD WHY CANT I HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

I have a friend who has this problem. also but he has been gaining muscle weight by working out for an hour then drinking a Drink Called Muscle Milk. Staying Away from Soy because it raises your Estrogen Levels. and it has been working so far.
EATTING peanut butter and lots of eggs =D for the protein
Muscle milk is just over priced protein shake imo. Just drinking whole milk with a scoop of whey protein powder will do you much better at half the cost.

Also soy isn't terribly bad unless you overdose on it, which unless your entire diet revolves around pure soy products like tofu and natto. In most cases eating soy protein can actually LOWER your estrogen levels.

Since phyto-estrogen which is plant based estrogen closely resembles and mimics human estrogen in many ways, if present in the human body it tricks the body into believing there is more estrogen in the body than there really is. so the reaction is to actually lower it's own estrogen production. Phyto-estrogen also doesn't have the catabolic effect (muscle and weight loss) tendencies that regular human estrogen has.

So it's probably best not to avoid soy protein, and also it's good to mention that Soy protein powder uses Alcohol in the process to create the powder, and alcohol also kills 99% of the phyto-estrogen content. Although this wasn't an industry standard in the past, and yes funny things happened 20 years ago including bodybuilders with nice supple round full....pecs... but then those were only for people who were taking 300+ grams of soy protein a day, when a normal person won't ever even hit 20g through a conventional diet in the modern day world that's not specialized to do so.

Anyways back to the OP just gotta eat. My friend was 6'3 120pounds, now he's at 190 pounds of lean muscle probably aroudn 7% body fat.

Easiest way to gain a little size is working out and eating a lot. My friend's eating in excess of 10,000 - 15,000 calories a day. He's also taking supplements called black hole and engorge which are appitite INCREASERS. Which have digestive enzymes to help you process your food quickly and more efficently.

Although I wouldn't recommend eating half as much as he is, cause he needs to eat a minimum of around 6,000 calories a day just to maintain his body. usually it's recommended for people to take 4,000+ calories when they start working out to build size. if gaining weight is hard for you.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Well, Muscle Milk is very tasty, but yes overpriced too. You'd probably be rather successful with adding a shake (a scoop of protein and a cup of milk) to each meal.

But you say you eat a lot and all the time. But how frequently is that? Do you eat 1,2,3,4 large meals each day?

One of the common rules for losing weight is to eat more often, typically six meals a day. Almost the exact same rule applies for gaining weight. The only difference is in portion sizes.

Trying to bump up the number of meals each day, and adding in some healthy calorie dense foods like cottage cheese and natural peanut butter (mmm tasty) can probably do the trick.

But remember, you are only 20 and still have a metabolism burning like a furnace. Maybe you're genetics are kind enough to keep it up for the rest of your life, but for most people their metabolism slows down considerably between 20-24. Thats why so many people get fat at or after college. So keep an eye open for that too.

And distant - you're friend sounds like a nut. I cannot even imagine trying to eat 15,000 calories a day of relatively clean foods.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Mimiru1618

I eat 2 big meals a day, lunch and dinner, but I snack all day.

Daily routine: get up, grab a thing of crackers, cinnamon roll, apple sauce. Eat that. That's gone in about 30 minutes. after that I'll snack on chips, pretzels, or something. Then I don't eat until lunch. That's usually two hamburgers/12 nuggets/regular size quiznos sub, fries/chips and a medium sized coke. After that I always try to eat some fruit, usually an apple and some yogurt and nuts. When I get home, I'll cook some mashed potatos or heat me up some chicken nuggets with a side of macaroni and corn. After an hour I'll grab me some chips or a cheese stick or cook some bacon or something and eat that. Ad for dinner, my mom cooks full course meals (I'm living at ho since college isn't very far) and that can be anything from tacos, to take out chinese/mexican, to bbq chicken, to steak, to anything. We always have a meat and two sides and a roll, unless she's making pasta.

That's usually what an entire day is like for me just about, if that helps anyone~

I really like sharp cheddar, American, and mozzarella cheese.

Also I'e gotten to where, when I eat apples (fugi or gala since I'm not a granny apple fan) I make a caramel dip using brown sugar and cream cheese. (8 oz cream cheese, 1 cup brown sugar).

Like I said, it's not that I don't eat, lunch and dinner my two large meals, and then throughout most of the day I snack on anything I can get my hands on that isn't chocolate. It can be anything from ice cream to literally a spoon of peanut butter. I'll eat bacon, sometimes I'll make an omelette, or I'll eat 3 pears. I can go through 12 chicken nuggets and still be hungry, as well as two cans of chicken noodle/potato soup without a problem...

At school I do walk a lot, usually about a mile a day, and t work I stand for 6 hours, but even then I'm snacking (at work).

Would eating more red meat than white meat help? I'm not a huge fan of milk, I grew out of that when I was but 8 years old, I prefer cheese and yogurt. I've never really tried cottage cheese before, but I'm willing to give it a shot~. Peanut butter and I get along real well...so I'm DEFINITELY willing to go with that~.

I've never had a protein shake either, but I'll definitely keep that in mind and try to work out a bit more.

I really appreciate the help guys, it doesn't seem like it can be a problem, but when you loose the little weight you're trying to maintain it can really be scary...at least for me it can be. I'm thankful for a fast metabolism, but I would like a bit of consistency, you know? ;;

Possible Future Cosplays
Adell - Disgaea 2
Flonne - Disgaea
Cosmos - Dissidia
Lelouch - Code Geass
Unread 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimiru1618 View Post
I eat 2 big meals a day, lunch and dinner, but I snack all day.
turn those snacks into small meals and you will soon gain the weight properly! Also the only real way to gain weight without getting fat is building muscle (as I am sure you know). you are going to want to look into weight lifting more than cardio. some people can get away with working out without cardio and you can very well be one of those candidates.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #10
distantarray

if you snack with things like adding a glass of whole milk to each snack should probably do the trick in helping you gain weight. It should run around 130 calories each glass. 3 x a day is almost 400 calories a day and 2800 calories a week which isn't too far from pound a week. although your metabolism is very fast so it might not workout this way, but anything will help.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
Unread 08-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

You definitely sound like you are eating enough that you "ought" to be gaining weight.

Personally my advice, would be let it be as long as you aren't currently running into health issues. Within a few years when your metabolism slows down you'll have to start eating healthy like the rest of us

If you really, really need to put on the weight its actually going to be a bit of work. A lot of people have points where there body just doesn't want to hold extra (healthy) weight. But if you make an effort to add in a shake or a glass of milk to every meal (at least 3-4 times a day) You should see some progress.

If you really really aren't seeing any progress, a trick some bodybuilders who are "hard gainers" use is setting their alarm clock, or drinking a lot of water at night, and getting up once or twice a night to eat or have a shake.

As far as red meat vs white meat, white meat tends to be leaner (meaning less fat) but red meat tends to take longer to digest. As long as you're keeping a varied diet, you should be fine.
Unread 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Mimiru1618

So...I just got on the scale...and I'm at at 97.7 lbs...where as, when I weighed myself to post this thread...I was flat 100...how the crap did I lose 2.3 lbs? D: So...my con is on September 17, and I'm going to be walking a LOT. 95 is my 'not preferred' weight to be at when I go to cons, cause I know I'll loose 3 lbs just by walking, if not more. I would like to get those 2 lbs back by convention time. 95 for me is a red flag, because if I loose anymore I'm in trouble. I try to drink a lot of water to keep hydrated, otherwise I'll get sick and pass out because my body burns that energy really fast.

I'm thinking that since I don't like plain straight milk I'll try chocolate milk instead (i don't like plain chocolate either but chocolate milk is tolerable). I rarely eat red meat so I'm going to try to eat more of that than white meat for the fat content. and with my other snacks I'm going to try and add a bit more to them to keep up with what my body's burning. Like I said, I walk a bunch at the university due to how the parking is set up, so everything I eat burns quickly. My mother has protein bars stashed away to help her loose weight, but will those help me to gain weight? I think some of it is because my mom has been cooking to fit her diet to stay in a dietary mode (instead of white rice, brown rice/whole rice), instead of actual eggs, she uses egg beaters, she avoids adding fattening stuff too...so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Will this help you think?

Possible Future Cosplays
Adell - Disgaea 2
Flonne - Disgaea
Cosmos - Dissidia
Lelouch - Code Geass
Unread 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

The steps you are taking definitely "should" help. The thing is everyone is at least slightly different, and it can take a little experimenting to see what works.

As far as protein bars, I like them for myself, just make sure they have a decent amount of protein and calories. While your mom might be eating them instead of a meal, you might want to have them as inbetween snacks.

An experiment you can try, keep a food journal for a week. Document what you eat and when, writing it down then and there. Keep it on you and keep it up to date. Guesstimate the numbers (calories) to the closest 100 or so.

Add it up, see what you are averaging. From there you either make sure to hit that number or a larger number.
Don't weigh yourself all the time, tops 2 or maybe 3 times a week, since you think you are in health issue territory.

If you aren't seeing any difference in your weight after a week, bump up your average about 500 calories a day.

From there if you still don't see a change, I can recommend some places to look for more advice on meal timing, macronutrient break downs and other useful info. Hope this helps.
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Mimiru1618

Alrighty I'll try that D: Thank you so much~

Possible Future Cosplays
Adell - Disgaea 2
Flonne - Disgaea
Cosmos - Dissidia
Lelouch - Code Geass
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimiru1618 View Post
So...I just got on the scale...and I'm at at 97.7 lbs...where as, when I weighed myself to post this thread...I was flat 100...how the crap did I lose 2.3 lbs? D: So...my con is on September 17, and I'm going to be walking a LOT. 95 is my 'not preferred' weight to be at when I go to cons, cause I know I'll loose 3 lbs just by walking, if not more. I would like to get those 2 lbs back by convention time. 95 for me is a red flag, because if I loose anymore I'm in trouble. I try to drink a lot of water to keep hydrated, otherwise I'll get sick and pass out because my body burns that energy really fast.

I'm thinking that since I don't like plain straight milk I'll try chocolate milk instead (i don't like plain chocolate either but chocolate milk is tolerable). I rarely eat red meat so I'm going to try to eat more of that than white meat for the fat content. and with my other snacks I'm going to try and add a bit more to them to keep up with what my body's burning. Like I said, I walk a bunch at the university due to how the parking is set up, so everything I eat burns quickly. My mother has protein bars stashed away to help her loose weight, but will those help me to gain weight? I think some of it is because my mom has been cooking to fit her diet to stay in a dietary mode (instead of white rice, brown rice/whole rice), instead of actual eggs, she uses egg beaters, she avoids adding fattening stuff too...so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Will this help you think?
Don't sweat a few pounds, the body can jump around 5-10 pounds easily throughout the day, safe to say you should only really focus on 5pounds at a time. Even electronic scales can different little each time you step on it. cloths, hydration level, amount of food, wastes, cloths anything is a factor.