Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1189 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #1726
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Name of Merchant: Cosplay Wig
Website/C.com gallery: http://stores.ebay.com/wigfashion
Character commissioned and series/video game: I bought a really long purple wig for a Saeko (hs of the dead) cosplay. Not commissioned or style because I can do that myself and they don't commission wigs any way.
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...RK:MESINDXX:IT (Their photo of the wig)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...830-152237.jpg
(My wig, but I do apologize about it being in the bag, since the bag kind of hides the color and texture of the wig. But it looks exactly like the photo and has a quality look. Don't worry though, when I actually use it for the cosplay I'll put those photos up so you can see the wig out of the bag. I just didn't want to frizz and tangle the wig.)
Timeline: Lemme see...I bought it August 17th, or rather that's when I paid for it. And I think they shipping it either the next day or the day after. About 1-2 days after receiving my payment. Their shipping was pretty fast for an over seas seller. I think this is the first time I bought from a Chinese/over seas ebay store but it took just a little over a week to receive it. I literally just got it in the mail today (Aug 30th).
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: Pros: They are very fast with responses, I just had a questions and they normally would reply same day or a day later. Fast shipping for a Chinese ebay seller. Great if you don't have a ton of money for cosplay and need a moderately priced wig that's awesome quality for what your paying for. I would recommend them if you don't have tons of money to spend for a top dollar Japanese wig. They have a great selection of wigs and they're all decently priced. Oh, and their shipping isn't too bad for a Chinese seller, I think it's the same for all the wigs, around 12 dollars. I bought a wig on sale for 12 dollars and then shipping was around the same so all in all I only paid about 24 dollars for the wig. Oh, and they usually always have wigs on sale so you might be able to find the style and color you need for cheap even with shipping.
Cons: Only con was having to wait forever for the wig, which isn't their fault or any thing, I was just really excited about getting this wig. And that they gave me a black wig cap for free with the wig, instead of either a skin colored wig cap or a purple one to match with my wig.
Final Grade: A++++++++++++++
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #1727
mangakaluna

Name of Commissioner: Ferrin
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/214064/
Character commissioned and series/video game: Edward Elric Jacket
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Hood is too small, and the lining appears to be inside-out
Random half-seams are on parts of the jacket
The emblem was ironed on, and tacked. However it was already starting to curl.
Saggy Lining
Staining
The sleeves are the wrong style (seam on top and bottom. Should have been only on bottom) and are sewed on crookedly.
The bottom is uneven
Missing lining inside the sleeve
Timeline: 1 month
Describe your Experience. It started out great. The ad promised superb quality and accuracy, and that they would work with me to ensure it was correct. They were extremely friendly and responded quickly. They said they would send me photos of the progress, so I could make sure the item was what I wanted. I never received photos of any kind. When I received the jacket, I wore it once to see the fit. Then I took photos of the issues. I contacted the seller in a professional manner and detailed the problems, and requested a full refund.

They refused and claimed I sabotaged the item. My convention is this weekend, and this jacket is unacceptable. I will not be wearing it.

Final Grade: F
Unread 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #1728
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayuki07 View Post
...and it also had the from china slip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PockySnowshadow View Post
Name of Commissioner: CosplayMandy
...Also, when reading her add, I could have sworn she said she was from California... but I got the package from China...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber-chan View Post
Name of Commissioner: Mandy, Cosplaycommish
All her packages come from China (since apparently she's living there at this point), but this time it also was given a California shipping label after it crossed the sea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Name of Commissioner: Mandy, Cosplaycommish
When the costume arrived -- it arrived not from San Diego, California where the commissioner claims to live, but instead from someone in China... Wait, what?!
They have been banned for abuse of the marketplace. Thanks for posting the reviews, or else we wouldn't have caught it.

EDIT:
To clarify a few potential misunderstandings: The problem isn't that they're/she/he is from China. There are many users on the site from China, and we're all-inclusive here. The problem is that they signed up on the sight purely for solicitation and to abuse our free marketplace. We don't charge fees for advertising or selling, but we make sure that people aren't out there to take advantage of Cosplay.com by using it as a fee-free store front only.

Last edited by Jia Jem : 09-03-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: clarification
Jia Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #1729
iSenpai

Name of Commissioner: HelloCosplay
Character commissioned : Haruhi Susumiya winter girls uniform
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: none yet (will post later)
Timeline: ordered 8/23/10 sent out: 8/30/10 received: 8/31/10
Experience:
Pros: Their site went down a few times and it scared me but I quickly received an answer to my email to their customer service saying they were switching servers, very nice quality and looks exactly like the picture. They are fast at making costumes with good quality (I ordered 2 and it only took 7 days to process)
Cons: none I love the costume and it fits very nicely

Final Grade: A
iSenpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #1730
iSenpai

Character commissioned : Haruhi Suzumiya (game version) Super Costume

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: none yet (will post later)

Timeline: ordered 8/23/10 sent out: 8/30/10 received: 8/31/10
Experience:
Pros: Fast Customer service responses and the costume looks exactly like the picture, very nice quality, would definitely order from them again.
Cons: The under top was definitely made for someone a lot larger than me even though I provided specific measurements (I’m just adding more velcro to it so it’s easily fixed)
In-between: The costume was kind of hard to put together (pin the bow here pin this here do the skirt up like this…) I wasn;t expecting it to be that complicated but no harm done.

Final Grade: A-
iSenpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #1731
KittyKUNTagious

This is actually REALLY late, since I commissioned these last year, but I decided I should give a review anyways.

Name of Commissioner: Maggifan

Character commissioned :Ciel Phantomhive and Sebastian Michaelis wig.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None yet.

Timeline: Ordered in the middle of December, got them in January, a little bit past my due date, which was a few days before New Years.
I also had her do a rush order, so it could be why, but I think i also had her do a express shipping.

Experience:

Pros: Communication was good.

Cons: When I got the wig, it wasnt how I wanted it to be.
For Ciel, the wig was short, but not the way Ciel's hair would be, it was as if she half assed it. It was no where close to looking like Ciel when I tried it on, I had to have my friend re-cut and style it.
For Sebastian's wig, I had her make it Sebastian's exact hair, but a clip on pony tail made for another cosplay, and had her make a bow to tie on the pony tail.
The bow wasnt really nicely made, I didnt like it, but it could have been worse.
As for the wig, it didnt look like Sebastian's hair style at all either, just a short black wig with bangs.
The clip on tail didnt look good either, I dont even think it was able to clip on to the wig, since there wasnt really a clip at all.

Final Grade: C-
The wigs are reusable at least, and communication was good.
I wouldnt say there wasnt any effort put onto styling and cutting the wigs, but I expected much more, since the commission wasnt cheap at all.
KittyKUNTagious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #1732
KittyKUNTagious

This is actually REALLY late, since I commissioned these last year, but I decided I should give a review anyways.

Name of Commissioner: Akaisha0

Character commissioned : Black Rock Shooter, jacket, shorts, top, boots, belt, and eye prop.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None yet.

Timeline: The end of October I requested for the outfit, my deadline was a few days before Anime Boston. I got it at least two months after that.

Experience:

Pros: Communication was good.

Cons:
Because the deadline was past due, she gave me something I was suppose to pay her to get, for free.
Dont remember what its called though.
When i got the cosplay the jacket was missing, she told me she forgot to mail it with the other things since she was in a rush to send it to me.
What i got was the top, shorts, eye prop, belt, boots, and that free item.
The shorts and the top were pretty half assed, the top, which is a bikini top, were missing pieces, I dont think i can even say its a bikini top at all.
The shorts, it looked like shorts that BRS would wear, but it didnt fit me, and it just looked like pleather sewn on to look like shorts, thats it.
The belt I requested was suppose to be big, what I got was a plain white belt you can buy at any store, it had metal star designs on them.
There wasnt suppose to be stars on 'em to begin with.
The boots, half assed, while she painted the bottom part white, nicely, the top was suppose to have a white flap, and a fake zipper in the front.
There was no zipper, and the flap was just sewn on, wasnt great lookin' at all.
For the eye prop, I'll give her props for that, while not perfect, it didnt look that bad, though it wasnt so great either.

Final Grade: D-
The prices were okay, but I didnt pay the amount I did for the things I received.
After I got my items, I contacted them a few more times, I even asked for a bit of a refund, but after a few replies to my refund, they stopped replying back.
I tried again a few times later, but still no reply.

Last edited by KittyKUNTagious : 10-20-2010 at 06:20 PM.
KittyKUNTagious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #1733
xxmossgardenxx
Amahime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
They have been banned for abuse of the marketplace. Thanks for posting the reviews, or else we wouldn't have caught it.

EDIT:
To clarify a few potential misunderstandings: The problem isn't that they're/she/he is from China. There are many users on the site from China, and we're all-inclusive here. The problem is that they signed up on the sight purely for solicitation and to abuse our free marketplace. We don't charge fees for advertising or selling, but we make sure that people aren't out there to take advantage of Cosplay.com by using it as a fee-free store front only.

Just stepping in because I got an email from Mandy and it seems she is not being allowed to explain herself and reading things here seems fishy. She says you are ignoring all her emails, although I do not know who deals with the emails.

Firstly please clarify how she abused the marketplace?

Secondly, how is she from China? She is a current student in China (attending the International Fashion Academy in Shanghai, it seems as a Study abroad program ), that does not make her from China, or mean she is a Chinese scammer. She is currently attending school in China is all. So if you are commissioning her within the past year, than yes that would make since that the packages are coming from China. When I commissioned her I distinctly remember my packages coming from California in a USPS post box. I can vouch for the fact that Mandy is/was a US resident. I HIGHLY doubt she is a Chinese scammer. I am sure others who commissioned her before this past year check back they would also say their items came from here in the US.

I am not getting involved with quality of resent work. All I know is that before she was in school, her work was stunning. I will just say I can understand how school can hinder ones work if you get to busy.

Just saying I think some people in charge need to do some research and actually talk to this poor girl who is being accused of being something she is not.

Think of it this way, if she WAS a Chinese company/scammer, I doubt she would be fighting this hard and asking previous customers to vouch for her.

~*Upcoming Con*~
Anime Boston 2014

Last edited by xxmossgardenxx : 09-04-2010 at 05:10 PM.
xxmossgardenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #1734
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifa-chan0980 View Post
Think of it this way, if she WAS a Chinese company/scammer, I doubt she would be fighting this hard and asking previous customers to vouch for her.
I don't think the implication has ever been that Mandy herself is a Chinese scammer. Most of us entered into deals with her based on her stellar feedback and good reputation.

But her recent packages have come unsigned from a country none of us were told they would come from with printed post slips from a Chinese company which none of us can read and have the too-large support items that most often come with Chinese factory work. She has been handling a higher volume than most commissioners are able to feasably and has been unable or unwilling to produce details or pictures about the works in-progress.

My own suspicion, based on lack of pictures, a drop in quality, very little communication and the oddly hush-hush China factor is that she may be subcontracting some of her recent work to a Chinese company to save time and money... And even then, it is only a suspicion (and only mine).

It could easily be cleared up by a change in her profile location, provision of progress photos, and Mandy herself signing the packages she sends. Doing so would remove the "factory" question completely from the minds of any she deals with in the future.

Reguardless of her legitimacy as a commissioner. She has been presenting herself, her location and her work in a dishonest manner (even after being confronted about the China question by multiple other customers, she has failed to change her account location or mention her situation to the rest of us)... Living in China doesn't make you a scammer. But saying you live in California, will provide photos you won't, will finish items by deadlines you can not keep, and then charging too much to ship in bulk-rate without once mentioning it to your customers might.

Mandy has sent me an email as well ~ one accusing me of ruining her reputation and threatening her livelihood. In that email she provided some explanations that may legitimately explain the origin of the packing slips (cheaper shipping through a hardware company), the reason she is based in China and an apology that she hasn't told any of us.

She also has issues with several parts of my review which she'd like to be heard. In the interest of full disclosure ~ I'll add her own email response to my original review so people can judge for themselves.

http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?...postcount=1708

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 09-04-2010 at 10:28 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #1735
TechnoVampire

Name of Commissioner: CosplayMandy/CosplayCommish

Website: http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/cosplaymandy/

Character Commissioned/Series: Sephiroth (KH Version)- belt, jacket, leotard, gloves, hand cuffs

Link to Pictures of Commissioned Item: http://sephysangel.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d29jmtw

Turaround Time: Took about a month including shipping

Pros: I've ordered from Mandy before, and I am quite happy with her cosplays. They are all wonderful. She puts a lot of work into her cosplays and is very friendly.

Cons: I The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the gloves were way too big, but... I have tiny hands.

Comments: I reccommend mandy to all of my friends, I have never been unhappy with her cosplays.

Final Grade: A+
Unread 09-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #1736
Oniko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifa-chan0980 View Post
Just stepping in because I got an email from Mandy and it seems she is not being allowed to explain herself and reading things here seems fishy. She says you are ignoring all her emails, although I do not know who deals with the emails.

Firstly please clarify how she abused the marketplace?

Secondly, how is she from China? She is a current student in China (attending the International Fashion Academy in Shanghai, it seems as a Study abroad program ), that does not make her from China, or mean she is a Chinese scammer. She is currently attending school in China is all. So if you are commissioning her within the past year, than yes that would make since that the packages are coming from China. When I commissioned her I distinctly remember my packages coming from California in a USPS post box. I can vouch for the fact that Mandy is/was a US resident. I HIGHLY doubt she is a Chinese scammer. I am sure others who commissioned her before this past year check back they would also say their items came from here in the US.

I am not getting involved with quality of resent work. All I know is that before she was in school, her work was stunning. I will just say I can understand how school can hinder ones work if you get to busy.

Just saying I think some people in charge need to do some research and actually talk to this poor girl who is being accused of being something she is not.

I havnt talked to her in about a year and don't know her current situation, though as I understand it NOW she is a student in China. Mandy was the first commissioner I ever took up for cosplaying. I'm very happy in the work and don't understand these reviews. Not to say your lying, it's just surprising, but I don't really understand why she was banned. I dont sell on the marketplace so I don't know all the fine print but I commissioned her about 2 years ago on two different costumes.
Through out the process she responded quickly to all my emails and helped to answer any questions. I dont know fabric that well so would ask for better explinations. I gave her months to get it done but then asked her to ship it a little early due to certain situations, she was able to do it even with the second commission I also asked her to complete. I also needed pettie (sp?) coat for the dress and in the end when I got my packages and opened them up (They were from California at the time) there was one there for me. I loved the costume. The skirt, the dress, the gloves all fit like a dream and so did my boyfriends.

I normally don't post a lot on these forums ans hope I havn't gone out of line. I'm very happy with her work and am saddened to see that she has been banned.
Oniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:01 AM   #1737
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: Classe
Items ordered: Vanille character wig
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: Flash w/ ref No Flash w/ref

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed through otamap and took about one week to process even with some restocking issues. Shipping was within Japan.

My partner and I needed wigs for Vanille and Hope and Classe had two character wigs that looked pretty much perfect. We'd never gotten "pre-styled" character wigs before, so we weren't sure quite what to expect... but the colors were spot-on (with two different choices for Vanille to boot) so we went for it through Otamap, our usual cosplay shop portal.

It arrived packed with my Vellsus order (for a Howl wig) and was packed in a carrying case, wrapped in a wig net and stuffed with a good amount of firmly-packed tissue paper with Classe tags attatched. It also came with a free peach wig cap, an extra hairnet and a heavy-duty plastic storage bag.

Pros: All of the difficult bits of cutting and styling have been pre-done. The tails and part are accurate, the bangs are more or less finished and the sides can be cut to frame any face by way of customization. All that really needs doing in terms of cutting is a slight trim to the bangs.

The 4,400 yen asking price is about on par with an unstyled wig from prichara or another of the mid-range dealers... and is exactly the same price as Charas' character wig for the same character (which we had also considered). In this case, we went with Classe only because the color on my Hope wig was better there.

Shipping was free (since it was a combined order through otamap) and the carrying case is a great bonus.

Cons: One of the pigtails had a broken elastic. It was easy enough to fix by popping in a new one. The wig cap is a touch big for shortshiek, but we can fill it out by braiding her hair just over the nape of her neck.

Final Comments: This is shortsheik's 2nd Classe wig and her first pre-styled from any wig dealer. She says she loves it and was only put off by the broken elastic, which was easy enough to fix. It suits her well and looks pretty spot-on for Vanille color-wise ~ both with and without flash.

Final Grade: A+

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 09-05-2010 at 04:19 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #1738
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #1739
Geb_Geb

Name of Commissioner: JoyMason

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/72129

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Sawa earrings from Kite

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2679313/

Timeline (how long your order took to process): I made the payment on 08-07-2010 and I receive the earrings on 1st september

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.: I'll be quick because it's my first time commissioning someone. SHE IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. The craftmanship on those earrings is inscredible, they look like liscenced products because they are so perfect. she work really quick and the communication with her was very good, she keep sending me progress pictures and always ask for my aprobation. She is very professional and I recommended her to anyone who need jewelry or small accessories

Final Grade: A++++++++++
Geb_Geb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #1740
Kildread
I can fix it!

Character commissioned : Souji Seta (persona 4)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Will go up on my profile once I go to the event.

Timeline: ordered 8/29/10 sent out: 9/03/10 received: 9/07/10
Experience: Once i wear it for an event, I'll be more able to tell, but as I'm wearing it now, it's quite good.

Pros:
--Quite fast answer and service. I placed the order at the beginning of a week and got it the next one. No hidden fees either, I've ordered lots of things online where I'd pay extra shipping fees on top of what I had already paid for various reasons (Carrier charge, custom fees, whatever), none of this junk for this delivery. It sat quite nicely on my doorstep, no questions asked.
--Site is quite explicit regarding measurements, and you can easily arrange to validate which size fits you, they also pay attention to your shoulder measurements if you give them in the other notes when ordering --- it fits just as snugly as my tailor-made suit (Which cost me double the price of this and I never wear XD)
--Coat is easily usable as a fancy spring/autumn outdoors clothing.
--Wig came styled towards the character I am cosplaying, with extra a tad longer than what is expected. Makes it easy to adjust to my fat head.

Cons:
--Coat buttons are only held but a tiny amount of thread --- it will be very easy to tear one off by mistake.
--Shirt has some small yellow stains at the button seams on the white shirt, likely due to the cleaning/production process they used for it (The stain is the same for every button, but it's only noticeable if you pay close attention).

Final Grade: A-

Last edited by Kildread : 09-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote