Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Taiwan

Unread 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Sparklewolfie

Smile Convention Atmosphere?

Sort of like a spin-off of the convention threads, I was wondering how the "atmosphere" of the conventions in Taiwan are like?

I might be moving there next year and am curious!

By "atmosphere" I mean the general attitudes of the conventions. Like in MN, Anime Detour is aimed at a younger audience, has more weaboos, Narutards, still has a lot of good cosplayers as well as bad ones, Artist Alley is a big success, good Dealer's Room, etc. I have not gone to any panels or watched the masquerade so I can't comment on that ;D
In contrast Kakkoi|Con was aimed at an older audience (more booze, etc.) had a host club and maid cafe, etc.

There looked to be quite a few cons in Taiwan so I was wondering which ones I would be more interested in ;D Thanks for any info!!
Sparklewolfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
evilroxmyworld

Well, it sort of depends.... ><
I don't think there are any booze at cons in taiwan though...o.O
at least i haven't seen any so far <--
evilroxmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Sparklewolfie

Wink

Well the host club had some alcohol for the 21+ crowd, but most of the rest of the con was still children friendly :3 Except for some of the party rooms XD

I guess I meant also like... if most people dress up, or if the panels are more about general Japanese culture, or focused only on anime, etc
Unread 12-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
piecrumbs

There are two major types of cons in Taiwan (Taipei, at least), neither of which really do things like panels. (Keep in mind I'm speaking from personal experience here.)

There's the 漫畫博覽會 (Comic Exhibition) which is annual. It focuses on official merchandise and manga and all the major publishers have booths there. There are also guest mangaka and autograph and Q+A sessions. It is sort of like the dealer's room in the American cons, except the manga is sold by individual publishers instead of retailers. The crowd there is a very broad range, as it's targeted at everyone who likes manga and anime, so you get a lot of younger children and families and also the older fans. There are cosplayers who attend these, but less.

Then, there are Fancy Frontier, Comic World Taiwan, and Petit Fancy. These are more like Artists Alley on crack. The whole con is primarily doujinka and fan-made things. Cosplayers tend to frequent these conventions as the tickets are cheaper, it's more cosplay friendly, and the crowd is older. While there are always exceptions, the crowd at these cons are usually about 14/15+. CWT is better if you want to buy imported doujinshi, and FF tends to have more of the big-name guests. They usually invite a seiyuu and there's a Q+A session and a talk and stuff.

Like I said before, none of the cons have panels the way American cons do (as far as I know) and cons aren't as...localized as the American cons. The cons don't work that way in that if there are parties, it's all between friends and usually not held anywhere near the con since the Expo is at the Exhibition Hall, and the doujin-cons are at the National Taiwan University gym. ...I hope that helped?
piecrumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Sparklewolfie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecrumbs View Post
There are two major types of cons in Taiwan (Taipei, at least), neither of which really do things like panels. (Keep in mind I'm speaking from personal experience here.)

There's the 漫畫博覽會 (Comic Exhibition) which is annual. It focuses on official merchandise and manga and all the major publishers have booths there. There are also guest mangaka and autograph and Q+A sessions. It is sort of like the dealer's room in the American cons, except the manga is sold by individual publishers instead of retailers. The crowd there is a very broad range, as it's targeted at everyone who likes manga and anime, so you get a lot of younger children and families and also the older fans. There are cosplayers who attend these, but less.

Then, there are Fancy Frontier, Comic World Taiwan, and Petit Fancy. These are more like Artists Alley on crack. The whole con is primarily doujinka and fan-made things. Cosplayers tend to frequent these conventions as the tickets are cheaper, it's more cosplay friendly, and the crowd is older. While there are always exceptions, the crowd at these cons are usually about 14/15+. CWT is better if you want to buy imported doujinshi, and FF tends to have more of the big-name guests. They usually invite a seiyuu and there's a Q+A session and a talk and stuff.

Like I said before, none of the cons have panels the way American cons do (as far as I know) and cons aren't as...localized as the American cons. The cons don't work that way in that if there are parties, it's all between friends and usually not held anywhere near the con since the Expo is at the Exhibition Hall, and the doujin-cons are at the National Taiwan University gym. ...I hope that helped?
Thanks for all the info! It did help :3 I don't go to panels anyway so that is not a big attraction for me in any case XD
Though if there are no panels, what does everybody do at the con? Here, mostly everybody goes for the panels. I go for the Artist Alley and Dealer's Room, cosplay competition/skits, and the dances/fashion show/whatever

My grandparents are located it Taipei, so that's where I would be staying anyway ;D Are you still in Taiwan?
Unread 01-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
piecrumbs

I'm in the US of A for school, but I go back every winter and summer. As for what people do... Walk around, socialize, check out cosplayers, check out what's for sale, check out the guests? Some cons have skits, some don't... Uh. As a cosplayer, I go to cosplay or be a photographer and to socialize with friends I don't otherwise see, and browse the booths |Db
piecrumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Sparklewolfie

Smile

still sounds interesting :3 So main focus is probably the Dealer's Room right?
If I end up moving I will have to check out at least one of the cons
Unread 08-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
math4origami

http://comic.com.tw/

I just went to FF, CWT, and CET this summer, and what piecrumbs said was pretty much right.
CWT had much, much more girls focused genres for both doujinka and cosplayers (i.e. a lot of Hetalia, Reborn, and Drrr). Vocaloid is probably biggest as usual, but I would consider that spanning both guys and girls. CWT has almost no big commercial participants. It felt a lot more doujin-y, so to speak, compared to FF.
FF had both male and female oriented genres represented. (I was interested in the large Touhou doujinka and cosplay fanbase). They also had a few big name guests and bunch of commerical booths set up, which is sort of like the dealers room.
CET is all commercial shops, retailers, licensers, and distributors.

For doujin events, (everything that's not CET) there's pretty much just doujin market and cosplay, and some minor to moderate commercial booth representation. Age range is mostly high school to college, with some younger and older. Very few what you would call "narutards" since Taiwan is very close to Japan and generally picks up Japanese media very fast. A lot more stuff is released and licensed in Taiwan, but not everything.
The level of the doujin market is much, much higher than what you might be used to in the US. It approaches the level of Japan, with some better off groups from Taiwan going to sell stuff in events in Japan like Comiket. (In japan, there are big commerical level groups and a big industry meant for stuff like printing bags, books, posters, etc for doujin events. I'm not sure how big the printing level is in Taiwan itself, but there are a lot of well printed merchandise in Tawian.) At the big events, it will probably be too crowded to browse everything quickly with a lot of traffic jams in the aisles in the first few hours, has 400-500 circles, and some popular groups/stores will have lines going into the hallway for a good tens of minutes. It will definitely take longer to browse than in the US.
For cosplay, the level is pretty high and if you like taking photos you can spend the whole day not bored.

You probably already know this, but its also really hot and humid >.> Lines to get into the big conventions when they open last up to 1-2 hours for the first day. The main attraction are just those two things.
math4origami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Sparklewolfie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by math4origami View Post
http://comic.com.tw/

I just went to FF, CWT, and CET this summer, and what piecrumbs said was pretty much right.
CWT had much, much more girls focused genres for both doujinka and cosplayers (i.e. a lot of Hetalia, Reborn, and Drrr). Vocaloid is probably biggest as usual, but I would consider that spanning both guys and girls. CWT has almost no big commercial participants. It felt a lot more doujin-y, so to speak, compared to FF.
FF had both male and female oriented genres represented. (I was interested in the large Touhou doujinka and cosplay fanbase). They also had a few big name guests and bunch of commerical booths set up, which is sort of like the dealers room.
CET is all commercial shops, retailers, licensers, and distributors.

For doujin events, (everything that's not CET) there's pretty much just doujin market and cosplay, and some minor to moderate commercial booth representation. Age range is mostly high school to college, with some younger and older. Very few what you would call "narutards" since Taiwan is very close to Japan and generally picks up Japanese media very fast. A lot more stuff is released and licensed in Taiwan, but not everything.
The level of the doujin market is much, much higher than what you might be used to in the US. It approaches the level of Japan, with some better off groups from Taiwan going to sell stuff in events in Japan like Comiket. (In japan, there are big commerical level groups and a big industry meant for stuff like printing bags, books, posters, etc for doujin events. I'm not sure how big the printing level is in Taiwan itself, but there are a lot of well printed merchandise in Tawian.) At the big events, it will probably be too crowded to browse everything quickly with a lot of traffic jams in the aisles in the first few hours, has 400-500 circles, and some popular groups/stores will have lines going into the hallway for a good tens of minutes. It will definitely take longer to browse than in the US.
For cosplay, the level is pretty high and if you like taking photos you can spend the whole day not bored.

You probably already know this, but its also really hot and humid >.> Lines to get into the big conventions when they open last up to 1-2 hours for the first day. The main attraction are just those two things.
Convention lines always seem to take hours =__=

I actually passed by a convention while at summer camp this July! It was towards the end of July or early August - I don't know which con it was but it was next to Taipei 101 (since that is where we were touring that day!). It was the last day of the con so I didn't go, but a few of my friends did and took photos and omg it was so crowded but looked fun! Hopefully I will get to go to one myself while I am here

The cosplay standard seems to be much higher here too @__@ Just from what I have seen online and an a random photoshoot at a beach we were at (random One Piece cosplay group yay!)
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Krye
|||Happy*Sweets|||

Oh~ this thread is very helpful. I've never been to a convention outside of the U.S. And I'm planning on taking my cosplays to Taiwan next summer for a photoshoot as well as attend a convention overseas if possible. I'm seeing that FF, CWT, and CET are in the summer - but which month do they occur?

2014 Events: Fanime (Aoba/Ririchiyo/Amu) | Anime Expo (Heroine - Amnesia; Monomi; Nonon; Fem!Noiz)

Krye is offline   Reply With Quote