Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Youmacon

Unread 08-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
JellySpIIrt
Hipster Loki is in.

Youmacon 2010 Masquerade Question!

I know I could post this on the Youmacon forums, but I wanted to post it here first.

This is first convention in Michigan, since I just moved here. That being so, this is my first youmacon.

I was looking at the rules and such, I saw this goes for Hall cosplay, but does this also go for the masquerade?

I wanted to compete in the masquerade in a Jrock cosplay, it is of Asian origins, of course. Would I be able to?

If someone could answer this, that would be great! Thank you so much.

Facebook Fanpage
JellySpIIrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
tsukeru

I think you should ask on the Youmacon's forums about this question or any masq. relating question. That way you can get an actual response by a staff/moderator.
tsukeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Everything of Asian origin is accepted in the Youmacon cosplay competitions. Original designs are not welcome, to my knowledge.

LOL Kalajessta trying to give advice. XD

Last edited by lunaladyoflight : 08-25-2010 at 06:47 PM.
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
JellySpIIrt
Hipster Loki is in.

xD Thank you.. I was too lazy to post on the forums there. Alright , this is good then <3 Thank you.

Facebook Fanpage
JellySpIIrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Well, we are on cosplay.com, too. ^_^;

Cosplayers may enter any costume recreation from a Asian source material - as we do allow things such as Granado Espada (which is Korean, even if technically technically Tomomi did the illustrations) or War of Genesis, Magna Carta, etc.
So...Japanese visual kei is certainly okay...and yes, please do bring more j-rock to Youma. As long as you bring references, you should be fine.

Also, at this time, we don't have an original design category (yet...maybe someday though) - so your cosplay should be a recreation of actual costumes from concerts/photoshoot/PVs -or- if it was an unused design, it can be based on published concept art/fanart. (There is a precedent for Gijinka - which are not "real" original Pokemon game designs but very well-publicized fanart - and so, as long as one is following that known source, it "counts" as far as the judging goes.)
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I entered in 2008 with my Gijinka and was told that I couldn't win anything higher than honorable mention because it was "fan art." They told me had it been a licensed character I would have won something better. I won honorable mention and I'm grateful, but the stupid rule is stupid.
Unread 09-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaladyoflight View Post
I entered in 2008 with my Gijinka and was told that I couldn't win anything higher than honorable mention because it was "fan art." They told me had it been a licensed character I would have won something better. I won honorable mention and I'm grateful, but the stupid rule is stupid.
Wait...what? Who told you that? O_o
Unread 09-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I was told before I even entered. Then told again when they handed me my award in 2008.
Unread 09-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Oh, that sounds like it might have been a random comment by the folks in cosplay registration &/or at con ops. I just wanted to let you know that was not the policy at all during actual judging. If you are cleared to come in for an interview at all, you are eligible for any of the awards. There are no deductions while judging for "legitimacy" of source material - if the cosplay sign-up crew deems that your cosplay follows the contest criteria, you can potentially earn the same awards as anyone else in the competition.

Scores are based on merits of patterning, fabric choices &/or material innovation, presentation and clean construction. Those who are well-prepared and upbeat during the interview can gain an extra point there, too. Also vitally important to the process is providing the appropriate reference which your costume was based from (…in that case, a print-out of the Gijinka artwork itself as opposed to a figure of the real Pokemon toy.)

If you have any confusion about judging itself in the future, feel free to ask your questions right away directly to the judges themselves (or right after the con.)
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I had all of that, well made costume, etc etc etc. I've been through countless masquerades, and even judged a few myself.

Maybe it was different in 2008? Gijinka wasn't as prominent. I wish I still had the PM or email. I'd show it to you. I was slightly offended by it but decided to compete anyways.
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
Aya Blue
Disco Geisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui View Post
Well, we are on cosplay.com, too. ^_^; *snip*

Also, at this time, we don't have an original design category (yet...maybe someday though) -
Yes PLEASE! ^_^
Aya Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #12
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Quote:
...snip...
Maybe it was different in 2008? Gijinka wasn't as prominent.
The only revision to the entry requirements from 2008 was that eligible "hall" costumes had to be able to fit in the hallway/judging room. ^_^; And I believe back in 2006, Korean media was included as an acceptable source. Otherwise, for the past 5 years, there have been no other official amendments.

So yeah, if the registration staff clears your costume as from a legitimate source, you are in the same boat as everyone else when you come in to the interview. (The cosplay registration crew has no input/sway/contact with the actual judging - thus they cannot dictate limitations to the judges.) Any contestant who comes into judging is eligible for any possible award, at the discretion of the judges solely based on the points I outlined above. That's how it always has been, and shall likely continue to be for fairness sake. (And indeed, should someone - Youmacon staff, cosplay-department or otherwise - ever tell you differently, do not believe them unless they are actually a judge &/or the info has been publicly updated on the Youma site.)

Just didn't want anyone in the future scared away by rules that don't exist. ^_^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Blue View Post
Yes PLEASE! ^_^
I hope so, too, actually! (We might start having a large enough crowd that this would be feasible...plus then fanart could fall under this category as well.)

Last edited by Yui : 09-19-2010 at 02:32 AM. Reason: merged my double-posting XD
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Is the mention of liquor allowed in skits? My skit doesn't have anyone using, just saying it's included in the packing for a con.
Unread 09-24-2010, 04:09 AM   #14
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Quote:
Is the mention of liquor allowed in skits? My skit doesn't have anyone using, just saying it's included in the packing for a con.
That is actually a question for the skit previewers. Rogue should be able to answer that one for you if you'd like to pm her here or ask on the Youma forums. I think it will depend on the context of being PG-13, mostly, and possibly also the rules of the hotel itself. (Such as, if our new hotel specifically disallows guests to bring in their own alcohol, it might be questionable to include the action in Youma's public programming.)
Unread 09-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Yea she already okayed it. I asked her after I posted this.