Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Makeup/Eye Contacts Review

Unread 09-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Review: Maximum Impact Liquid Latex Body Paint

This is the product i came across after a search for a body makeup that wouldn't smear ONTO my costume. I was willing to sacrifice some things to make sure that not a drop of paint would rub off onto my cape. Since most every reply to my original thread told me that every body paint out there would rub off slightly onto a costume... i needed an alternative. (And i mean it. Not one tiny drop, smear, ANYTHING onto my costume. I can't wash my cape at all, so i needed something to get rid of the risk of hurting it).

Name of Product: Maximum Impact - Liquid Latex Body Cosmetic

Where Purchased: eBay seller *alleykatz* I highly recommend them. Fast shipping and good prices!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_3652wt_911

Product Description:

"Cover yourself in the sexiest outfit ever! Maximum Impact Liquid Latex comes in a 16-ounce jar with screw off lid. Use a sponge brush (not included) to apply the latex to skin and in 5-10 minutes you will have a flexible body suit of your design. The all-natural Latex washes off with soap and water when you're done. Love the latex you're in! Natural, Medical Grade Latex. Non-toxic, FDA Approved Ingredients. Officially Recognized as Clothing!"

Its liquid latex... body paint. You apply it on, and once its dried, its stretchy and such. So it doesn't flake off like some other stuff, or rub off onto anything. But it isn't the most comfortable thing to wear, and it does peel on the edges if you aren't careful.

Pros and Cons (story time!):

So i wore it as half of the Kamina tats today as a test run. A few notes on it:

The wet paint smells like FISH. It really really hurts your nose. I suggest turning on an air freshener or something, or apply it in an open area. The smell burns. Though once its dried, its 100% odorless.

The color on the bottle was... wrong. As you can see from the link, the color was a baby blue. When i painted it on, it was a darker, more greenish blue. Which worked out great for my cosplay (since i was planning on mixing it to that color) but won't if you're going for a lighter color. So just a heads up on that part.

It peels on the edges if you rub it against something. Like, if you rub the side against the couch like i did, it peeled slightly on the edges. But since i had it in small bits, peeling it off and reapplying took like, 5 seconds.

As it dried, it felt really weird. Like it was clenching my skin. And it continued that feeling the entire time i had it on. I got used to it, but it was still a little strange.

Took a few layers to make it look non streaky. But a little goes a long ways, so that was fine. I just had to wait for it to mostly dry before i put another layer on.

Getting it off... hurt. A lot. Only in the spots with hair.. so i'm considering shaving my arm hair a little before i use it next. You have to peel it off like a bandaid, so... yeah. I didn't use any removers, so that might be why it hurt. Pulled my hair D:

Didn't really give my skin any room to breath. So i don't recommend it for full body coverage.

On one part of my arm, it wrinkled a little. Though i realized after peeling it off... that wasn't the paint. That was my arm. Since i tested it RIGHT after coming out of the shower, it was probably because my skin was super dry. So try putting moisturizer on before applying it. I'll try that sometime later. It only wrinkled in one spot: my other test areas were fine.

Caught a little bit of lint at one point... a wet towel wiped it off fine. Probably won't do that if you powder it.

Despite all that, i really like the stuff. After a few layers, it leaves a nice even coat that looks really great in photos. It doesn't smear. AT ALL. Onto anything. I even licked my finger and rubbed it. Didn't rub off onto my finger. It also stayed on as long as i wanted it to. I had a friend who wore it several days in a row (not including showers, since he didn't shower... lol ew). It really stays on as long as you want, as long as you're careful.

But, due to it not being very breathable, i do not suggest it for full body cover. It'd probably be really unhealthy. I do highly suggest it for those simple tattoos that anime and video game characters tend to have (like for what i'm doing: Kamina in TTGL). It looks great from a distance, though if you get too close, it might look strange if you aren't really good with painting. Since i did it myself in a small, enclosed bathroom (while dying from the fish smell), my work was pretty crappy. But the spots i did a good job on looked REALLY good once it dried.

Overall Rating: 0-10 (0 is poor, 10 is excellent): 7

In conclusion: Its good for those thick lined anime tribal tattoos... but not for much else. I highly suggest it if you're worried about getting paint on your costume, since theres a 0% chance of that happening with this (when its dry). But if you don't care if paint gets on your costume, i suggest finding some other method.

I'll update with pictures soon enough! Thanks for looking!

Update: picture, sorry bad quality:

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...14742_n1.jp g

EDIT: I recently discovered you can buy this exact brand of liquid latex... at adult stores. Ahaha... i found it at ConRev in Costa Mesa.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!

Last edited by Axelai : 10-26-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Axelai
I'm Awesome

More pictures of how it turned out:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...823846_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...357045_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...749075_n. jpg

These are from a friend of mine painting the tattoos onto my body. He did an amazing job of painting them. Only took one layer!!

Unread 10-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
cachalot
Blue Mage

The tattoos look great! I have to say from your review, this brand of liquid latex sounds great for small designs. I'll have to look into getting some for my Berserker Yuna cosplay.

Photography: http://www.seventhmoon.org/photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gerodere
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gertysk
cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Satine

I've been working with liquid latex for armour and large head appliances and yeah, the ammonia smell is pretty bad- can be dangerous too if there is not enough ventilation. Cosmetic grade latex is supposed to have low ammonia or no ammonia though.

It's an easy step to do at home though to reduce the ammonia smell if you want:
http://www.likeastory.com/boards/cgi...ML/000390.html

I used the same latex I cast from to stipple the edges on my head piece but it had been stored in a small container for so long with a little pocket of air that the smell had almost gone by then too.

And a nice summary of the different kinds of latex
http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/Latex

And thanks for the review

Last edited by Satine : 10-09-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Satine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satine View Post
I've been working with liquid latex for armour and large head appliances and yeah, the ammonia smell is pretty bad- can be dangerous too if there is not enough ventilation. Cosmetic grade latex is supposed to have low ammonia or no ammonia though.

It's an easy step to do at home though to reduce the ammonia smell if you want:
http://www.likeastory.com/boards/cgi...ML/000390.html

I used the same latex I cast from to stipple the edges on my head piece but it had been stored in a small container for so long with a little pocket of air that the smell had almost gone by then too.

And a nice summary of the different kinds of latex
http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/Latex

And thanks for the review
Ah! Good to know!! I mostly just opened windows for the smell XD And it went away pretty fast for me.

Well, and i got used to it.

Unread 10-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachalot View Post
The tattoos look great! I have to say from your review, this brand of liquid latex sounds great for small designs. I'll have to look into getting some for my Berserker Yuna cosplay.
It is great! I love the stuff. The only problem it really has is peeling on the edges if you rub it against stuff... which i was careful not to do, and it never peeled!

Unread 10-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
anime_wench

Thanks for the wonderful and thorough review! I'm looking into body paint and didn't really know where to start... thanks again!
Wendy from Peter Pan
Kagome from Inuyasha

anime_wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_wench View Post
Thanks for the wonderful and thorough review! I'm looking into body paint and didn't really know where to start... thanks again!
Just make sure you use it for tattoos, not for full body :P It'd be uncomfy

Unread 03-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
allenmark

I really want to make tattoo on body with a paint, after looking at multiple websites I found liquid latex body paint and want to know more on it so that it can be used for body.

liquid latex body paint
allenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmark View Post
I really want to make tattoo on body with a paint, after looking at multiple websites I found liquid latex body paint and want to know more on it so that it can be used for body.

liquid latex body paint
I don't know specifically the type you posted, but the kind I used was good for the tattoo i used it on. What tattoo are you doing?

Unread 10-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Tigersoul

The eBay link is dead but I think it's the same stuff I used a while back. If so, it is _NOT_ "cosmetic grade" by normal standards (keep in mind here that there is always a range for a product to be in any given category, so on a range of 0-10 this may be closer to 10 than 0) what "cosmetic grade" means is it's been deamoniaized (had some of the ammonia removed from it) I cannot stress enough that you use it in a well-ventalated area, ammonia is NOT healthy to breathe and if your going to use it often it's best to avoid use on the face and if possible get a ventalator (but this mostly applies to people working in FX shops or doing long-term projects like latex armor)

As far as it's effect on costumes, yes, it's great, Liquid Latex is a form of rubber, so once it's dried its permanently in that solid form, almost nothing will dissolve it (except amsuingly mineral oil, babby oil, or petrolium jelly) a large number of prosthetics and even safty gloves (including medical gloves) are made from latex.

BUT

if you do not make it thick enough (minimum of 3 good layers) it will split and peel (which also means it's tricky to remove around the edges). Also fewer coats means it's less intense of a color because latex is naturally translucent.

Make sure you shave the area before applying, if you can shave at least an hour prior, otherwise it will BURN LIKE FIRE on your skin. Moisturizing is always good, but make sure that's fully dried before applying the latex.

There is no reason it cannot be used for large areas, including full-body (as long as you mind the rule about ventilation) your skin produces oils and sweat that will prevent the latex from clogging your pores and causing health issues (Though of course you do have to worry about overheating in warm weather because the way our bodies cool off is producing sweat and then air making the sweat evaporate --- which cannot happen if the body is covered in latex)

In short:
If used in a well-ventilated area, using multiple coats, on shaved areas, it's a wonderful option! +1 to the OP for mentioning it!

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Axelai
I'm Awesome

The main reason I didn't suggest it for large areas is that it really doesn't breathe well. It felt awkward on my skin, so I don't think it'd be too healthy to keep on large areas. Also, the color wasn't SUPER consistent, so I just guess it wouldn't look too great on large parts.

It looked pretty good with one to two layers with me, but I'm guessing it'd look better with more.

Thanks for adding to the thread though ^^

Unread 10-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
arockalyptica
Amature costumer

hey, not sure if this thread is totally dead, but i was wondering if it was safe to use on your face and hands? I have a costume in the works that if i get body paint onto the wings they are ruined. The body isnt so much of a problem because ive already figured round that.

Thanks in advance ^_^'

Last edited by arockalyptica : 10-14-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Bad link and typos
arockalyptica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
Gladysjames

If the Body Paint has Ammonia free and got FDA Approved means it will be safe Body Paint for sure.Some of the body paints are quality only which is safe for both Body and Face.While using Liquid Latex makeup we must give the lotion for our body before using that.
Gladysjames is offline   Reply With Quote