Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
vampricyoda
VampricYoda

To the people saying the events need to be seprete events: If they didn't combine there would be NO NYAF. At all. NYAF pulled about 20,000 guests. Comic Con Pulled 70,000 (2009 numbers I think). Who do you think was going to get the bulk of the coverage? I don't feel like NYAF was unwanted at the con. I felt like it was leeching for it's survival.

I thought the way NYAF was handled (minus the Masqurade but I won't get into THAT one) was exactly what was to be expected. Shoved to the side allowed to exist and that's about it. When you look at the numbers the cons pulled last year (and NYAF attendece was DOWN last year) this was the best move to have if you wanted there to be an NYAF.

One thing I will say. I feel like the Anime Venders who were there. . .would have been there NYCC or NYAF regardless. Maybe Reni wouldn't have shown. But NYAF had Japanese Guests and multiple concerts. Better then the numbers it usually pulls deserves.
vampricyoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
Bitter
Certified Loli Trap

I hated the fact that it was so over crowded. I think I made it down two aisles in the Dealer's Room before calling it quits. I had so many people touching me in places that they SHOULDN'T be touching due to it being so crowded (I was NOT in scandalous cosplay either). Leaving the aisles packed so tightly that barely two people could get past at a time? Yeah, not a good idea since stopping to browse meant that you held up the flow of traffic. Also, there definitely needs to be more sitting areas/chairs/places to rest. Due to the sheer amount of people, there was just nowhere to sit and rest your feet for a second. Finding tables to eat at in the food court was also near impossible and the line for food was ridiculous all day long.

In my opinion, there was a lack of anything even remotely impressive to grab my interest. I would have checked out the Michael Jackson tribute game thing had I been able to navigate my way through the sea of bodies to reach it. Again, due to it being so crowded, it made it nearly impossible to find a safe spot for photoshoots without blocking traffic, being a fire hazard or having enough room to include everyone and having enough room to pose. I would advise putting up a list of suggested areas for next year.

Honestly, I am just very disappointed on a personal level. I understand the reasons for merging the two cons and it was all good and well in theory, but I feel like it failed terribly. NYAF definitely got the short end of the stick. As a friend put it: "It's like NYCC devoured NYAF. OHM NOM NOM." If there's going to be this degree of separation anyway, at least have the common courtesy to give us our own little section of the con designated as the anime/manga section. It would just be so much easier for us to go to one designated spot rather than having to scour all of Comic Con for anime or manga things. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's better to put what used to be NYAF in one section and NYCC in another as the main attraction since it obviously gathers more attendees. Again, this is just my personal opinion and will likely be ignored by the powers-that-be. However, feedback was asked for and I felt strongly enough about this to give it. I was honestly so aggravated that I had absolutely no desire to attend today even though I purchased a weekend pass. Unless things are changed a little for next year, I doubt I'll attend.

TL;DR: Son, I am disappoint. >:
I have more, but everything's up in the air at the moment.

Next Cons: AnimeNext, Otakon
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #18
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

I'm fully aware of the reasons for combining NYAF and NYCC, and I'm a fan of comics and anime equally, but I have to agree with what most people here have been saying.
Everything felt wayyyyy too commercialized, overcrowded, and impersonal. I was bored abd pissed off after an hour there today- and I shouldn't have been, because I like comics and anime...
I never cared for NYAF- it was nice because it was in the fall, that's it. If they have to do away with it fine, but they seriously need to do something here-because this whole set-up so did not work.
I won't reiterate a bunch of what people said already, but I agree with most of what was said on the first page.
Oh..and some people gave me and my 12 year old brother some really nasty comments because we were in cosplay. Those dudes need to get out of their mother's basements already- but the idea of me being thought of as a freak for cosplaying at a convention just pissed me off to no end.

Conventions 2014~
-Katsucon- -Castle Point- -AnimeNEXT- -Philly Comic Con- -NYCC-
2014 Cosplays~ Celes Chere-opera gown(FF: VI); Dr. Princess(Adventure Time); Eowyn- green dress(LOTR); Magik(X-men); Anna(Frozen); Apple Pie(Sakizou); Stella(FF: XV); Scarlet Witch(Uncanny Avengers)

Aurora Maryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
hectorwatts03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Maryte View Post
Oh..and some people gave me and my 12 year old brother some really nasty comments because we were in cosplay. Those dudes need to get out of their mother's basements already- but the idea of me being thought of as a freak for cosplaying at a convention just pissed me off to no end.
Due to the nature of this event, I sorta felt this way the night before, but I guess for me it worked out in the end. I do understand the feeling though.

For me, this entire experience was a double-edged sword. Because I haven't been in high spirits this week, I was hoping for a rather pleasant experience on Friday (which I got). Saturday turned out to be somewhat concerning for me however.

On the one hand, I didn't mind most of the stuff going around, and for the most part, I did manage to get what I needed to get done. (i.e. check out a lot of stuff on Friday and meet a few artists/comics/va's and what not, as well as peeked into MvC 3 for a bit.)

However, I do have a bit of a gripe, as everyone does. For one thing, I immediately started to question the crowds on Saturday. (I wouldn't be surprised if the fire marshal showed up and had to evacuate everyone in the con like the very first NYCC, hence why I never went to that one.) Relocating the anime side to a small lower section of the con was rather odd, but given the nature of it, I do understand it to a limited extent. Furthermore, I guess maybe due to the lack of stuff that really interested me, and the impersonal nature of things, my morale did take a major hit. However, it bounced back later.

I won't doubt the nature of these two events having merged though. I guess it's odd to really pinpoint what needs to be done for next year, and I do understand if there are a lot more fans for the "comic" side rather than the "anime" side, but it's one of those strange things that could be worked on, and if so, I can adapt my own schedule and interests to work among that. As to if I'll return, that is subject to change. Hopefully, by then, things will be much better from my part so that I can enjoy it a lot more.

Last edited by hectorwatts03 : 10-10-2010 at 06:32 PM.
hectorwatts03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
korrgan

I'll just say this:

I had a press pass, cosplayed Saturday, and couldn't even FIND the downstairs NYAF area until Sunday. When I did I wish I hadn't because it made me sad. It's great that it still existed, but it was a shell of what I wanted it to be. Maybe it's because I wasn't in the right place on Saturday, but I felt like I didn't see as much cosplay as usual. So the whole thing was free for me but I was still disappointed.

I had more fun at NYAF last year than I had at NYCC this year.
korrgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #21
dreamoflife02
are you lovers desu?

They really, REALLY underestimated the amount of people interested in anime programming. The main room for anime, IE09, was far too small for what they were trying to put in it-- they had to cut off the line for the Gundam premiere, because there weren't any seats left, and I'm fairly sure they didn't clear the room beforehand. The Haruhi movie was packed as well, and the AMV contest was a nightmare-- there was no organization in the lines at all, so it just became a mob.

20,000 is nothing to sneeze at for an anime convention. That's about the number that came to Anime Boston this year, iirc-- maybe even more. We were already segregated in one corner of the building, so go all the way and give us our own dealer's room as well-- NYAF's dealer's room was always HUGE, so even though there was never all that much programming, I was perfectly happy to roam around looking for deals all day. This year, we could barely even find the anime booths. If you're going to advertise huge events and premieres at a convention, actually give the convention the space and organization to handle them.

Otakon '12
Sheryl Nome | Macross Frontier
Aradia Megido [ fancy god tier ] | Homestuck
dreamoflife02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
BreakerDeeEss
Whataburger

I'm hella pissed off that I didn't get to see the 00 movie. I do understand that combining the two cons is cost effective since you're using the same facility for two events in the span of three days, but that was too goddam much. It's known that it's gonna be the same format next year and as much as I hate to say it, if it's this way again next year, I'm not going. I think it takes 8+ AnimeNEXTs to equal this on NYAF/NYCC convention.

I wish for these things to happen(opinion):

1. Separate NYAF and NYCC

2. Have movie premiers at the IGN Theater Room

3. Format and prepare events better

My legs are destroyed and I got a little bit of a thousand mile stare goin' for me so I hope everyone else had a fun time at NYAF/CC.

Recently Attended
: AnimeNEXT 2011 Somerset NJ

Cons attended 2011:
Springfest NY - Shinji Ikari (School Uniform)
CPAC Hoboken - Hisagi Shuhei (Casual)
Sakura Matsuri NYC - Monkey D. Luffy (Timeskip)
AnimeNEXT 2011- Fri.(SF Ryu, Luffy Timeskip), Sat (Luffy Timeskip, Yusuke Urameshi), Sun (Kyoya Hibari TYL)
BreakerDeeEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #23
SatoshiKukai
Satoshi and Kukai

I was quite disapointed. I saw not many people cosplaying anime, it was way over crowded, they sold out of tickets (bs), and i hated the small anime corner. They had barely any manga and dvds it pissed me off. It kinda sounds nasty but i would like a refund! All of the comics annoyed me. They had beyond way to many. I missed my photoshoot trying to get in cause they were sold out. I had to run to borders to buy pass beileve i dont plan on returning next year if its combinded with comic con. Im sticking with AnimeNEXT~

http://www.youtube.com/user/thanksforthemr

Cosplays:

Satoshi Hojo (Higurashi no naku koro ni)
Kukai Souma (Shugo Chara!)
Battler Ushiromiya (Umineko no naku koro ni)
Ryuuji Takasu (Toradora!)
SatoshiKukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #24
SatoshiKukai
Satoshi and Kukai

also it was extermely unorganized and it was so hard to take a pic of someone

Cosplays:

Unread 10-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
BreakerDeeEss
Whataburger

I know I'm gonna sound kinda mean for what I'm about to say but if I hadn't helped any of my friends and/or located them I would have been on time to watch the premier. I'm having a 50/50 battle of conscience with myself of whether or not I should've just jetted to NYAF to 1E09. I can't hear anything over the sound of how pissed off I am... photoshoot was fun though.

Recently Attended
: AnimeNEXT 2011 Somerset NJ

Cons attended 2011:
Springfest NY - Shinji Ikari (School Uniform)
CPAC Hoboken - Hisagi Shuhei (Casual)
Sakura Matsuri NYC - Monkey D. Luffy (Timeskip)
AnimeNEXT 2011- Fri.(SF Ryu, Luffy Timeskip), Sat (Luffy Timeskip, Yusuke Urameshi), Sun (Kyoya Hibari TYL)
BreakerDeeEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #26
SatoshiKukai
Satoshi and Kukai

At least you got to attend your photoshoot! i was waiting for my higurashi one for months >:O

Cosplays:

Unread 10-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #27
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

I love both comics and anime (and most of all video games), and although I agree with some points here, I have to completely object. Compared to last year's Comic-Con and even I-CON a few years ago, this has seriously been the best convention I've been to.

Not only were there a fantastic myriad of cosplayers, they were sweet as hell! I'm aware much of the things were CC related (which surprised even me; I'm not sure why AF was in the corner there ;;; ), but then again CC always had a ton of anime/manga related stuff even in itself. Frankly not to be held biased, the Artist Alley at the AF section bored me after a while. Granted there are good artists there, but about half of them had the same exact style. If you ventured to CC's AA, there was at least more of a broader demographic in style.

Yes the convention was overcrowded. UMMM when isn't it? Saturday is always the most crowded, busiest (and let's face it, most fun) of any convention weekend. I actually found despite that, there were more places to sit this time! Thank you Cartoon Network!

Also for once I liked how they organized buying tickets versus if you pre-registered and got your badge already. A huge improvement compared to about 2 or 3 years ago when EVERYONE had to wait on the same line regardless. I totally didn't like how they barred tickets on Saturday at Friday morning, but that shot could have been called by anyone running the convention or even running the Javits center. It still wasn't a good call though.

Overall I thought it was absolutely amazing, I got to play Kirby's Epic Yarn and a bunch of other games and got to meet great cosplayers! I in fact actually think they should keep both cons together, just simply b/c Comic-Con period encompasses so much with anime and manga at this point, and will continue to do so, so long as the industry does so. Don't tell me this bullcrap that CC and AF are different when Midtown Comics has 3-4 huge shelves of manga in their booth. I think that clearly says something.

Also I say the cons should be together because of the atmosphere. You got glares like hell at NYCC last year, but this year it was much much better. I'm sorry if jerks ruined your con, but jerks are at every con no matter where you go. You just tell them to shut the eff up and move on with your life, and keep on doing what you love. If you don't wanna go back next year that's your choice, but I and I'm sure many other people had a blast.
Sunday - Espeon Gijinka (Pokemon)

Last edited by snowkirby : 10-10-2010 at 09:06 PM.
snowkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #28
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

If Reed Exhibition is smart they'll continue to use the NYCC/NYAF banner for at least a couple more years. Face it the anime industry burned out like a candle. It not just the US side. Cute and boobs only get you so far if you forget story lines, which is the way the industry really turned to for quick cash. They cashed in too fast. But if it somehow revives. They'll break-it out again.

And its not that there wasn't much cosplay. It was very hard to shoot or find it because of the crowd. The ones you did find in the open were people working with photographers already in shoots.

The masquerade was mismanaged badly. They just didn't put the right people in charge of handling it.

The construction going on also didn't help the looks.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #29
dreamoflife02
are you lovers desu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkirby View Post
Yes the convention was overcrowded. UMMM when isn't it? Saturday is always the most crowded, busiest (and let's face it, most fun) of any convention weekend. I actually found despite that, there were more places to sit this time! Thank you Cartoon Network!
Yes, but I've NEVER had that much trouble getting through ANYWHERE at any other convention on Saturday. The aisles in the exhibit hall, especially in the back corner where the anime was, were narrow to the point of being dangerous.

Quote:
Don't tell me this bullcrap that CC and AF are different when Midtown Comics has 3-4 huge shelves of manga in their booth. I think that clearly says something.
Okay, but there were about four manga booths total. I was looking for four or five different series-- and not obscure ones, either-- and couldn't find anything I wanted. Usually at anime conventions there are TONS of different places to look. I'm not saying there's no overlap, and I'm not saying anime conventions never have unrelated stuff, but I'd say that the dealer's room was 90% non-anime.

Otakon '12
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #30
dreamoflife02
are you lovers desu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakerDeeEss View Post
I know I'm gonna sound kinda mean for what I'm about to say but if I hadn't helped any of my friends and/or located them I would have been on time to watch the premier. I'm having a 50/50 battle of conscience with myself of whether or not I should've just jetted to NYAF to 1E09. I can't hear anything over the sound of how pissed off I am... photoshoot was fun though.
Yeah, the way the premiere was set up was bullshit. :/ The room was way too small, and even if you got in, the screen was way too small and the subtitles were barely readable-- and that's even if you didn't have six or seven heads in the way.

Otakon '12