Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Malex
What the cabbage man?

NYCC/NYAF Petition

Alright, here goes nothing...

Hello everyone, my friends call me Malex, so I guess that's my name :3 I, like many of you, attended the New York Anime Festival at the Javits this past weekend; and I, like many of you, was incredibly disappointed in the quality of the convention. These problems, as I experienced them, included the following:

1. There were far too many people at the convention this year. I visited the site the day before the con and saw a notice that said that the weekend and Saturday passes were sold out. With the space they allowed at the convention (even though it was a MUCH bigger space than last year) was still too little for the amount of people that they let in to the convention. The lines just to get in were out the door, and the room to move around, especially on Saturday, was so limited that you were basically at the mercy of whoever decided to shove you around. Due to the limited space to move and the over abundance of people, I couldn't fully enjoy the parts of the convention that I did like. Which brings me to my next point...

2. The convention was, at the least, three quarters comic book related. Now, I don't know about you guys, but I'm not all that in to comic books. :/ Whilst wandering around, I found very few things that I actually liked, due to the fact that there was only three or four rows of anime/manga related things. That, and the panels and screenings were comic book related also. The only things I went to were Uncle Yo's comedic show, of which I could not see or hear very well due to so many people in one area; Mario Bueno's singing, which was great; the AMV contest, which I had to stand in line for an hour due to so many people wanting to go and limited seating; and the Masquerade, which I couldn't stay (and noticed that other people couldn't stay) the entire time for since it got really late and I had to walk four blocks back to my hotel.

I'm not sure if there were any other problems, if there were that any of you experienced, please let me know and I'll add them to the list.

I did NOT enjoy this convention at all since it was very hard for me to enjoy anything due to the sheer amount of people that attended. I hope that we can get some attention for these negativities that ruined our beloved NYAF, and correct them for next year.

Now cosplayers. Those guys are every color of the gosh darned RAINBOW.
Malex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
tsutaya
Night of Wallachia

The whole part about the con being over crowded I agree on and also the smaller amount of anime merch. But there actually was quite a few anime/ japanese culture related panels and screenings. They had the gundam uc, gundam 00 and kuroshitsuji screenings for one. Also panels for gundam uc and anime, manga and harajuku fashion, lolita etc. There were quite a few panels of actual interest this time.

The con for me wasnt that bad. I just dont like that I was constantly shoved around and the lack of anime merch. Other than that it wasnt that bad. I think they just need to learn to incorporate the con more together. 50/50 if anything not 75/25 like this year :/

★Next Projects★
tsutaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

The lack of signage and the lack of clear scheduling were pretty annoying for me. I was volunteering, and we were basically put in place to direct traffic, but weren't told where anything was or what was going on at any given point (maps? schedules? why would the volunteers need those?). It was incredibly annoying to have people asking perfectly logical and valid questions and not having any answers for them. Part way through Friday, I ducked out to go find some of the most common places people were asking about.

I managed to have fun anyway, because I'm me and I'm good at looking for the positive, but most of my friends were pretty disgusted with the lack of organization.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Skv012a
The Space Pirate

Personally I thought it was pretty good. Got to see great cosplay from and outside of anime, plenty of booths about gaming and whatnot. I will agree with the desire for more anime-related content, but it really wasn't that bad.
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
tsutaya
Night of Wallachia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garen View Post
The lack of signage and the lack of clear scheduling were pretty annoying for me. I was volunteering, and we were basically put in place to direct traffic, but weren't told where anything was or what was going on at any given point (maps? schedules? why would the volunteers need those?).
I did notice this when i was looking for the anime artist alley.... Ask one of the guys that was giving out the maps and I said specifically the anime one and they gave me directions to the nycc one.... I eventually found it thanks to a panel I went to though.

★Next Projects★
tsutaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
KeroTrigger
Kurosaki Fukutaichou

I don't know about everyone else, but this con completely turned me off from going back to another one ever again. While my friends and I did have a blast on Saturday just hanging out with each other, it was far too busy. And here is a few reasons why it sucked:

1- I actually have bruises from people shoving me around, and even though I am a small person and can understand being overlooked, there is no excuse for the way some people tried to get past us when we were standing still as close to a wall as we could get. Not to mention I shouldn't have to scream to alert two people that they sandwiched me between their insanely overstuffed backpacks.

2- The security people were also insanely rude to us as well. A friend was buying something at a booth as they announced the floor was closing on Saturday and they tried to force him out, even though the booth owner clearly told them that they were paying and would leave as soon as the transaction was over. We also had another friend physically stopped and screamed at by a woman even though we were right behind her trying to get to him so we could leave. There was also a time when we were grabbing our bags to leave and they came and rather loudly told us to leave, even though we had just said we were leaving and thus why we were picking up our bags and pushing the chairs back to the table.

3- It was far too much shoved into such a small area with too many people in my opinion, and while we had fun we could have done the same basic thing at home without the bruises and injuries.

That's just my two cents though, but this con most likely will never be added to my list again even though we were so excited to go.. :/

Shorter version:
1- Less people
2- Nicer staff needed
3- More space needed.

~7/21/07~
Never without my Kurosaki-Taichou

Bakamono Cosplay's next convention:
Otakon 2013!
Gokai Change!
Fire Emblem Awakening | BLEACH | Kamen Rider Fourze
Kaizoku Sentai GOOOOOKAIGER!

Last edited by KeroTrigger : 10-11-2010 at 12:40 PM.
KeroTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
han-pan

You also have to take into consideration both the construction and the relative sizes of the cons when they were on their own. NYCC has been huge for a while. I heard that NYAF never took even one of the full rooms that NYCC took up mutiple of.

I think if they do it again they have to work on utilizing the space better.

I also find it very funny that both the comic crowd and the anime crowd are having the same complaints about the con, just aimed at the other group ;P

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
PartTimeProphet

This was my first time at NYAF or ComicCon, and I have to say it was a disappointment. I only went for the NYAF aspect of it. The fact that there was SO much ComicCon didn't really bug me, but people who went strictly for ComicCon are very different from usual anime/gaming con-goers. They seemed a lot more crude and rude. That aside, the con was a hot mess.

As far as cons are concerned Friday should never be better than Saturday, but I enjoyed myself SOOOO much more Friday because there were TOO many people there Saturday. I had more fun spending 2 and a half hours in a random corner with my friends on Saturday than I did at any other point that day. My costume was so severely damaged Saturday night that I almost considered not even cosplaying Sunday.

And on top of all that, hello? Fire hazard????
PartTimeProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

Honestly, I loved it. I was at NYCC last year and the crowds weren't anything new.

Fire Hazard? Its the Javitz center. I've been to other shows and cons there that had more people crammed in. Seriously. Construction, crowds, people complaining about lewdness. Its NYC. Seriously... NYCC took in 70k attendees last year alone.

Also, if you really want to complain, use Google and look up, "Wizard competes with Reeds". The reason this one was so over commercialized is because of Wizard setting up another comic con a few blocks away that was on the same weekend and Reeds needed to outdo them to not lose ticket sales before Wizard lost and moved the date of their con.

Ignorant and blind complaining won't do much, and that's all I'm seeing. I understand that people will nag and complain about every little thing given the chance, but despite the crowds, it was a blast, imo. If you don't like it, then don't go. Its as simple as that. Plus, since this was the first year it was combined, it was a learning curve. I'm sure next years will not be as hectic. But, none of you people are even bothering to consider the other side or the long term. You don't like it, you're complaining, and petitioning without even thinking of WHY it was the way it was.
jujubee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
PartTimeProphet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubee33 View Post

Fire Hazard? Its the Javitz center. I've been to other shows and cons there that had more people crammed in. Seriously. Construction, crowds, people complaining about lewdness. Its NYC. Seriously... NYCC took in 70k attendees last year alone..

But were those shows full of people in costume? People in full suits of armor, Trinity Blood cosplays, etc? Or people with baby strollers? Not to mention it wasn't just the people total, but the people crammed into the tiny venues. Did you see the dealer's room? The vendor booths really take away from the amount of space in the room itself, so combine that with the crowd and it's a disaster. I was in there with my friend who was cosplaying Seth Nightroad from Trinity Blood and I was literally knocked down trying to turn a corner.

I'm just saying that it should have been separated. And like many people have said, there are CC fans that don't like anime and AF fans that don't like American comic books. Why force them to share the same rooms? There should have been a more clear division if the cons were to be merged. Even though the AF section would have been much smaller than the CC section, I'd still have preferred that because I've been to SEVERAL anime/gaming cons and I have to say ComicCon fans are a lot ruder than normal con-goers, mostly because a lot of them are just slightly nerdy normies.
PartTimeProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeProphet View Post
But were those shows full of people in costume? People in full suits of armor, Trinity Blood cosplays, etc? Or people with baby strollers? Not to mention it wasn't just the people total, but the people crammed into the tiny venues. Did you see the dealer's room? The vendor booths really take away from the amount of space in the room itself, so combine that with the crowd and it's a disaster. I was in there with my friend who was cosplaying Seth Nightroad from Trinity Blood and I was literally knocked down trying to turn a corner.

I'm just saying that it should have been separated. And like many people have said, there are CC fans that don't like anime and AF fans that don't like American comic books. Why force them to share the same rooms? There should have been a more clear division if the cons were to be merged. Even though the AF section would have been much smaller than the CC section, I'd still have preferred that because I've been to SEVERAL anime/gaming cons and I have to say ComicCon fans are a lot ruder than normal con-goers, mostly because a lot of them are just slightly nerdy normies.
You go to the Auto Show there and you tell me which is worse. The cramming is 10x more terrible. The lines are horrible. You can't take any pictures without someone shoving into you and strollers are a hazard as well. No fursuits, but cars taking up tons of space.

I went for the comics, my fiance went for the anime. We share an interest in BOTH. MANY people do. Most of my friends are the same. They swooned over Green Lantern comics, then ran to the Anime Artist Alley to buy prints. So, that is a very ignorant statement of yours. Its geekdom and pop-culture in general, at this point, and that is what the con was trying to push: Geekdom as a whole. Otherwise why the hell would there even be video games there? Why would Dr. Who be there? It doesn't matter. Its a mutual love for fandoms and all things awesome and geeky.

And you saying that the comic con fans are ruder is again, ignorant and stereotypical. There are so many things that can be said about anime con-goers, which are wrong and biased. You should embrace your fellow geeks rather than separate and shun.
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
han-pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeProphet View Post
I have to say ComicCon fans are a lot ruder than normal con-goers, mostly because a lot of them are just slightly nerdy normies.
I have to say something about this.

I have also been to SEVERAL anime/gaming AND comic conventions, and I have to say that, in MY experiences, people that go to anime conventions are much ruder, destructive, ignorant, cruel, immature and more difficult to deal with than comic fans.

And also, what on earth does "normies" even mean? o.6 Most people who go to comic conventions are there to buy art, meet famous artists, get signatures, buy comic books or swag, things related to a hobby that (many) of them sink thousands of dollars into. So I wouldn't call that "slightly nerdy" in any way.

Idunno. I think you have to understand both sides of the coin before you go burning the others at the stake so to speak.

It was an economical choice to hold both conventions together, one that turned out to the advantage of nearly every dealer and artist I spoke with. Sales were through the roof, and yes there were shortcomings that can potentially be revisited in the future. There are always hiccups in an operation when a huge change has occurred. I still think the combination was a success, as was the decision to separate Anime Artist Alley from Comic Artist Alley. It made sense to put the HUGE displays that cost the most money by the doors, because that is what those promoters paid for. I just wish that there had been a more effective way to keep the anime dealers together and separated a bit more from the comic/other dealers, but with the available room they had, I don't think there was much of a better alternative than what they did.

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
Jakkun
MIKU RANGER

NYAF was a huge disappointment to me. I was actually excited for the both to be combined, but I was hoping for it to be more 50/50. But, obviously it wasn't.

there was too many people there, and like someone said up above, I have bruises from being pushed and shoved. Even the photoshoot gatherings didn't have enough space to actually take pictures because of the amount of people there.

Another thing was the lack of knowledge from staff volunteer people.

Friday I kept asking where the NYAF artist ally was, and I got led to the NYCC one. I found my way though after asking more people. That was slightly stressful.

then on Saturday, when I asked about a Lost and Found, I was told by a volunteer there wasn't one, but I ended up discovering there was. Which in the long run made me angry, but I found a lost and found, sadly what was lost was not found. A wig, and a tripod.

It was so crowded, and I noticed that half of my friends who did get badges, actually didn't go and carry the badge around with them because it wasn't really checked at all.

I had mine attached to my belt loop on a ayabie lanyard. and then the badge itself was stuffed in my pocket. I was only asked once where it was.

So a lot of people got into the con for free, maybe it'd because of how much people were there.

Either way, crowd control was horrible.

Once again as someone said, saturday is usually the funnest. Friday was the most enjoyable for me.

It was a big disappointment, and a waste of money.

oh well.

EDIT:

Also note, I enjoyed the Comic Con aspect of it too, I just wish it was more evened out.
Colossalcon
DragonCon
[/center]
Jakkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
yacchan
Imperius Rex

... As I recall NYAF last year wasn't all that big. I'm used to big like A-Kon and Otakon, for an example of scale.

Contrast that with NYCC. While I wasn't there personally, by all accounts they took in about 70k last year. So while it's a little unfair, I guess, I totally understand why the con was about 1/4 anime, and 3/4 comics. They're going to play to the majority of their attendees who, in this case, are there for the comics. Likewise, people at comic cons DON'T cosplay as much, so they don't really know how to deal with cosplayers. It's just not as much a part of the culture.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's exactly pleasant, but it is pretty logical when you think about it. And that's ignoring the whole Reeds/Wizard thing going on.

Next Conventions
NYCC 2014

Check out the West Village Avengers on Facebook!
yacchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacchan View Post
Anyway, I'm not saying it's exactly pleasant, but it is pretty logical when you think about it. And that's ignoring the whole Reeds/Wizard thing going on.
I'm glad that someone is at least paying attention to that aspect, and you are completely right about playing to the majority. I'm just glad that someone else here knows about that whole silly con-war before they post their opinions about how horrible the con was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
I have to say something about this.

I have also been to SEVERAL anime/gaming AND comic conventions, and I have to say that, in MY experiences, people that go to anime conventions are much ruder, destructive, ignorant, cruel, immature and more difficult to deal with than comic fans.

And also, what on earth does "normies" even mean? o.6 Most people who go to comic conventions are there to buy art, meet famous artists, get signatures, buy comic books or swag, things related to a hobby that (many) of them sink thousands of dollars into. So I wouldn't call that "slightly nerdy" in any way. .
Han-pan, I agree with you wholeheartedly, as horrible as that is to say. I'm not looking to start a debate or derail the thread, but it was a very ignorant statement originally posted.