Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 221 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #5041
AkaneSaotome
cosplay procrastinator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura_petals View Post
Akane - I'll be using cotton drill for the inner senshi skirts and collars, but it's sorcing the shiney material for Moon's skirts that're the problem.. I really only have 3 fabric stores in my city, so not much room competitive pricing. I have yet to find the pink fabric needed for one of the skirts and her sleeves and the holographic material needed for her bows and in her wings... The most expensive fabric I found was a pink sparkly lyrca I needed for her spankies and 1 of the hip rolls. It was US$37.50 (New Zealand $50) per meter!! Why does all the shiney fabric I need have to be the most expensive?

Have you tried Spandexhouse.com or stretchhouse.com. They've been life savers for me in many ways. And they have holographic spandex and such for a pretty good price.
like here's the hologram spandex at stretch house. http://www.stretchhouse.com/stretchhologram.htm

Follow my cosplay construction and plans on my fanpage

AkaneSaotome Fanpage

Anime Boston 06-08 -Masq. Judge/ Otakon 09 -Hall Judge
AkaneSaotome is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #5042
AkaneSaotome
cosplay procrastinator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
I can't wait to see you at NYAF Akane :3
Won't be doing any Moon because -cough, speak of the devil, cough- I need a new Moon wig. xD
T_T I couldn't make it. My rides bailed on me and couldn't go and I didn't have the money for parking and gas so me and my friend decided to just skip it instead. Since we'd end up using like $100 in one day that could go towards AUSA in a month.

edit: sorry for the double post. ><

Follow my cosplay construction and plans on my fanpage

AkaneSaotome Fanpage

Anime Boston 06-08 -Masq. Judge/ Otakon 09 -Hall Judge
AkaneSaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #5043
han-pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaneSaotome View Post
T_T I couldn't make it. My rides bailed on me and couldn't go and I didn't have the money for parking and gas so me and my friend decided to just skip it instead. Since we'd end up using like $100 in one day that could go towards AUSA in a month.

edit: sorry for the double post. ><
Lol no worries, I decided not to go today anyway too. Gonna go home and hang with my family, well deserved rest after my LSAT :3 It sold out for today, absolutely insane!

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #5044
RoseHanabira

I got my Green Pepper pattern in the mail a few days ago! I haven't completely opened it up yet, just took a little peek inside. I have to say I'm VERY impressed that they used newspaper-like-paper and not the cheap tissue paper that I've seen for the few other patterns I've used. I can pin this to my fabric and not have a heart attack when something shifts because OHMYGOD what if the pattern tore AGAIN?! And from my peeks inside, the lines are so much bigger too, it'll be easy to read! I'm so excited! Maybe I should spend the rest of my birthday money on more fabric so I can get started?
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #5045
Inkreader13

RoseHanabira I worked across from a fabricland this summer and got my Sailor Moon fabric at that sale!!
Sunday - Madoka

Follow me on my Deviantart and Tumblr.
Inkreader13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #5046
RoseHanabira

Awesome! I do love Fabricland. I'm still on the fence of whether or not I should buy their membership. The prospect of frequent sales (with great deals!) appeals to me greatly, but for the moment I'm really only making one costume a year and don't visit it that much. Hmm... Oh well, might be something to look into next year.

So are we going to work on the Resources thread? I'm still absolutely pumped for the idea, I'm not gonna lie :P Who should start the thread?
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #5047
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Wow time sure does fly. Haven't posted in a while due to tides of homework ^_^;; Not much progress on my cosplay either and London Expo is in what? 18 days? I'm not panicking because the week before Expo I have that week off, I also have two weekend to work on it aswell.

No luck with finding large thick card in A0 size... So I think I'll just continue with the wire, if it looks crap then it looks crap, I just want the wings finished already lol. I'll have a chance this weekend to do it though
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #5048
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Went to Joann's yesterday and spent over 45$ (45 on fabric alone)

But! Got more than enough fabric to start on Chibiusa/Small Lady today!
Also my birthday was last friday, so I'm 18 everyone!

Also got costume satin (glitter) for my skirt, collar and bows for 2$ a yard for Moon. But if the blue doesn't work for the skirt/collar, I'll buy the 9$ crepe backed satin that had a good weight and feel. Even though it's more indigo, it still has the proper shine. <3

So that's my update.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #5049
han-pan

Tarina, is that blue youre talkin about from the Casa collection? I believer thats the color I used. Its called Colbalt blue if I recall.

Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

Unread 10-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #5050
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

i can not remeber.
I dont believe it was though, pretty sure it was this:
joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2575&PRODID=prd32702

which had a decent (slightly heavy) weight and did not fray. But I may buy the casa glitter satin since that series is nice and it is the same price anyhow.

I bought baroque satin in light pink for my dress. And got through altering the princess seams and hemming all the satin and sewing it. But need to possibly put in light pleating or something to give it a little body and have it hang better. Right now it just sorta falls. And it is pinned to the main body dress. I plan on using snaps to hold the layers together. Might also line the satin? Thoughts??

Baroque satin frays like crazy, if i took a lighter to the ends would it just light the fabric on fire or cause light burning and stop the fraying?

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 01:50 AM   #5051
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

My extentions fell off the bookshelf they were clipped to. My cat slept on them. I have one half detangled, the other 25% or so. I'm annoyed, but atleast they are saveable.
End rant
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #5052
han-pan

Nope, http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...PRODID=prd7208 is the one that I used. :3 I like it because the sheen was not TOO overly shiney.

Ummm I wouldn't try to BURN your fabric....if I were you, I would sew ALL your raw edges with a zig-zag stitch, and then I would grab a bottle of Fray Check (or clear nail polish, your choice) and put that on the worse spots. The only thing to keep in mind is that the fabric will be hard where you put the Fray Check/nail polish, so if you're planning to have it against your skin it will itch. Usually zig-zagging all your seams and raw edges works just fine too :3

Unread 10-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #5053
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
My extentions fell off the bookshelf they were clipped to. My cat slept on them. I have one half detangled, the other 25% or so. I'm annoyed, but atleast they are saveable.
End rant
lol. Sorry UsakoLuna but the cat part made me laugh. ^_^ Cats..they are so cheeky but endearing, aren't they? :P
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #5054
Amidoji
Desert Chikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
End rant
My cat (who is mostly black) has been sleeping on my Princess Serenity dress and fabric. I've been less than impressed.
Amidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #5055
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarinalove View Post
Baroque satin frays like crazy, if i took a lighter to the ends would it just light the fabric on fire or cause light burning and stop the fraying?
A lighter would be too hard to control. Plus those edges will be blackened, hopefully they won't end up showing. I used a soldering iron to cut/melt the visible edges on my Neptune skirt, but I would only recommend the hot pen method if you have a steady hand, lots of patience, and only for dark synthetic fabric.

I've read that pinking shears work well to stop fraying (cuts zigzag snips along the edges) though I haven't tried that method yet myself.

Before you start sewing all your pieces together you can run a zigzag stitch (or zigzag cross stitch with a straight line on one or both sides) along the edge of your fabric. If you look at finished clothing all the seams are finished like that as well.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote