Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average.
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #16
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
I think its unfair to base a judgement on all Hetalia cosplayers just because a few idiots did something wrong at a photoshoot.

I'll never understand how people have the nerve to do these things though, I couldn't ever do it. (I wouldn't want to though either, of course)

However I do think that the flag thing that people are mentioning is a complete overreation. The thing is that these ARE props for cosplay and I don't see any disrespect in placing them on the floor.

And there's your problem. You're forgetting that cosplay does not supercede the real world during public events. it's just like people who use live steal for swords or real guns as props, they are still items of interest and need to be treated as such, whether you're planning on using them in their intended manner or not.

Honestly, I don't understand why so many cosplayers are having a problem understanding this, especially lately.

You might love some characters in Hellsing, but some characters in Hellsing are Nazis, and wear nazi paraphellia. So if you do that to, and you walk around in a place with a high jewish population, EXCEPT TROUBLE!!!

And yes, placing flags down on the ground may seem like less of an offense. But to a lot of people in the armed forces or people with a strong sense of nationalism, dropping a flag (placing it on the floor) is a sign of disrespect or unrest. Technically, there's never supposed to be a time where the american flag is lying on the ground except at a military funeral.

But most Hetalia cosplayers don't get that because the only reason they're cosplaying from it in the first place is because it's cute and oh some of the boys might be gay and their hot so it's awesome :(

It's all about common sense people, paired with a little research.

Of course this day and age, I rarely expect cosplayers to do or have little of either.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
krys-chan
A New York Cosplayer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
It's all about common sense people, paired with a little research.

Of course this day and age, I rarely expect cosplayers to do or have little of either.
Unfortunately it's true. If only people could use common sense it would be a lot easier but I don't expect it. :/

Not saying that about all cosplayers but still, we all know there are the ones who don't use common sense

Facebook

“A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
krys-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Okay, I'm sorry for the flag thing I said earlier >.>
That was rather ignorant of me. I'd just never concidered it rude personally.. but I must respect these things.

Anyway, look here: http://community.livejournal.com/hetalia/6814899.html
Look at how many Hetalia fans are disgusted at this. Look at their replies.
Don't lump us all together with the idiots who did the salute.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #19
krys-chan
A New York Cosplayer!

For any show there are always the cosplayers who give the series a bad name and then the ones who give it a good name (for example naruto, bleach,deathnote cosplayers etc)

It's understandable many people are angry but still got to look at all the reasons as to why it occured. Let's just hope another incident does not happen again. For Hetalia or any other series that has a swastica in it >.>

Facebook

― J.R.R. Tolkien
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Also, if anyone wants to see then there is an apology here from one of the people involved:
http://community.livejournal.com/het...875#t125853875

Apparently a few members of the crowd were requesting the salute, though this doesn't justify the fact that they did it at all as they could have easily said no. Though I do think the people who were requesting it should have also gotten some of the blame.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #21
krys-chan
A New York Cosplayer!

The links you are sending, those not part of the Hetalia community (from what I can understand) cannot read them. Just to let you know ^^

Facebook

― J.R.R. Tolkien
Unread 05-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Oh, really? D:
I'm sorry! I thought everyone could see them.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Unread 05-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #23
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoWolffe View Post
in my honest opinion. I will have to say most Hetalia cosplayers are ignorants with no knowledge of what is and what isn't offensive. The anime itself is NOT accurate with the retelling of the brutalities of World War II but its more of a mockery of what really happened. Doing something like this is about as offensive as "cosplaying" Osama Bin Laden and standing in front of the World Trade Center ruins while holding a poster of the WTC collapse. You just don't do that!

Speaking of Ignorants and Hetalia, it bugs me that these kids, because they are silly kids, carry the national flags with no respect and even put them on the floor like most props. I am sorry, but in most national flag etiquette, doing that is a MAJOR offense to the national flags.
I'm happy I'm not the only one who feels this way. Hetalia makes way to light of two very nasty wars.

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Miria Harvent
Getting it completed...

I'm just going to jump in here really quick.
I will admit, I'm pretty ashamed of what some of the cosplayers did, despite that they most likely, had absolutely no malicious intent. It's true, they should have thought, but it's too late now.
To nightwishkat, your issue seems to be with the series as a whole, and if anyone wishes to go into the hetalia fandom, they have to understand that the series is a parody. Like a political farce, someone's feelings might get hurt. Oh well, life's like that, you know? orz

Torosony, some people do take the whole flag this super-seriously. It's something I don't do, but maybe everyone should be a tad but more careful.
((also, this is probably a bad place for it, but I love your sealand. XD))

all in all, it's not just the hetalia fandom, everyone needs to have common sense when they're cosplaying, because things like this are part of why people look down on us. <3

2011 COSPLAY PLANS
Dino Cavallone, Meowth Gijinka, Spanner, Nice Holystone, Rikku, Celty Sturluson, Karina Lyle
Miria Harvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #25
DarkKozame
Chibi J-Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoWolffe View Post
in my honest opinion. I will have to say most Hetalia cosplayers are ignorants with no knowledge of what is and what isn't offensive. The anime itself is NOT accurate with the retelling of the brutalities of World War II but its more of a mockery of what really happened. Doing something like this is about as offensive as "cosplaying" Osama Bin Laden and standing in front of the World Trade Center ruins while holding a poster of the WTC collapse. You just don't do that!

Speaking of Ignorants and Hetalia, it bugs me that these kids, because they are silly kids, carry the national flags with no respect and even put them on the floor like most props. I am sorry, but in most national flag etiquette, doing that is a MAJOR offense to the national flags.
I feel awkward for opening this back up so much later, but I just discovered this incident.

I think the cosplayers that did this understand it was a STUPID move, and I forgive them, BUT, this is a good example of why you DON'T ABANDON COMMON SENSE. If you make a stupid move that spreads like this, people aren't going to just shrug it off and say "They're cosplayers.".

Hopefully, this will never happen to me. I'm the youngest cosplayer I know, and whenever we were learning about Nazi Germany in school, the words that stuck in my head were our teacher's: "I understand you guys are interested and enthusiastic about this, but DON'T go around doing things that will offend people."

And as far as the flags go, if they use the defense of 'It was heavy!!' Uhm, if you carry a big-ass flag to a con, duh, it's gonna be heavy. I think most Hetalia cosplayers need to be more careful and learn at least the basics of handling their flags, any offensive symbols or gestures, etc. to be respectful to anyone with history with the country.
Ciel Phantomhive (Strawberry) - Kuroshitsuji - 10%

~Conventions~
Atlanta Anime Day 4
MomoCon 2011
DarkKozame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #26
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Just as an added note:

a. Some people make big deals out of nothing. They probably didn't see this as "a few silly cosplayers going too far" and more of a "Oh my god its Neo Nazis!!". In the public's eye.

b. Ignorance on flag respect... a lot of people just don't know you don't put flags on the ground

c. Hate the cosplayer, not the fandom. Just because a few Germany cosplayers messed up with the nazi slogans doesn't mean all Hetalia cosplayers are like that. I know i'm not... especially not THAT stupid o___o;;

Just throwing in my two cents since this thread happened to be revived.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 05:22 AM   #27
Shokora
O Tannenbaum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
Just as an added note:

a. Some people make big deals out of nothing. They probably didn't see this as "a few silly cosplayers going too far" and more of a "Oh my god its Neo Nazis!!". In the public's eye.

b. Ignorance on flag respect... a lot of people just don't know you don't put flags on the ground

c. Hate the cosplayer, not the fandom. Just because a few Germany cosplayers messed up with the nazi slogans doesn't mean all Hetalia cosplayers are like that. I know i'm not... especially not THAT stupid o___o;;

Just throwing in my two cents since this thread happened to be revived.
*sees this thread for the first time* I totally agree with Axelai. But as a former I-don't-like-Hetalia-person (for the very reasons being brought up in this thread) who has now become a I-cosplay-Germany-but-know-where-to-draw-the-line....I think those of us who do cosplay Hetalia and do NOT fit into the clueless, silly, ignornorant, common-sense-lacking category are now going to have to work extra-hard to prove to everyone that not ALL Hetalia cosplayers are like this. Where to start? With photoshoots and panels. Those of us who ARE mature need to be the ones running these shoots and panels; this will prevent things like what happened at Anime Boston and also prove to the rest of the cosplay community that we DO know our history-not all of us are ignorant of it!!!! I would love to do a panel called "History for the Hetalia Fan....or anyone else!" (I'm NOT young...I've done a LOT of public speaking and teaching due to my job). Of course, I'd have to choose a historical event and stick to that, as there's a time limit!
Fruits Basket: Hatori Sohma
Hetalia: WW2 Greatcoat Germany (manga)
Kuroshitsuji: Sebastian Michaelis
Shokora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #28
liivingdeadgirl
Chicken Rice!

I agree that the blame for things like these should be placed on the individual and not the fandom, however the fandom has become increasingly...well...psychotic. My friends and I make a point NOT to go to Hetalia shoots because of all the idiocy that takes place. And I would blame the age of those who usually GO to the shoots, except that many of my friends are 16-17 and THEY don't even want to go because they don't want to be mobbed or have to put up with all the morons that are there. When it turns into everyone going 'you guys kiss' 'no you guys kiss' 'pretend you're getting married'....I mean, it gets old. I still love Hetalia but I think the fandom needs to chill out a little bit, because they make it not fun for those of us who know what public decency is. -_-

Alice (Original) - Alice in Wonderland
Miku (Cendrillon) - Vocaloid
Fuu (Artbook) - Magic Knight Rayearth
Fem!Cas - Supernatural

~*~
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LDGCosplay

Last edited by liivingdeadgirl : 11-19-2010 at 06:49 PM.
liivingdeadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #29
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

While I won't lump those particular idiots in with the entire fandom, this is basically a reason why I won't ever get heavily involved with the fanbase. Being as I'm anti-sub, I havn't yet seen the whole series, and don't know what kind of awkward pairings the heavy duty fanbase have put together. I might do a cosplay somewhere down the line ( as a matter of fact, I KNOW I will. Austria, America, Latvia, deserted island Japan, and or Canada ) but I will avoid the photoshoots as all I hear is about how hectic they are.

As aforementioned, I have not yet witnessed the whole series, so I have no idea whether or not Germany has done any "salutes" or anything of the sort. Even so, just because it's done in a CARTOON doesn't mean it's right in the real world. There will definetly be people of the jewish faith walking around by chance. They're human beings just like us, and can attend conventions/view anime just like us. So yeah, DEFINETLY not a wise choice on those cosplayers parts.

As far as the whole flag thing goes, yes, only soldiers and "true" patriotic people are going to know/feel that the flag on the ground is disrespect. If that's the case, then why not politely ask them to pick it up off the ground? My dad is one of those patriotic people, to the point where he stopped the car on a drive home once, and made me get out and get this window flag that was sitting in the middle of a road ( that thankfully wasn't busy at that moment ) But if you're going to complain about it in private, then you really shouldn't be getting mad. Have a problem with it? Bring it up with the person who's doing it. I'm pretty sure they're not going to say screw you and take a leak on/burn the flag. Now THAT'D be pretty downright dirty. Cosplayers are going to continue laying flags down on the ground if nobody is there to tell them that its a tad bit harmful. But again, chances are that they don't mean it in that way to begin with. As a matter of fact, before I even knew what Hetalia was, I saw several people carrying the flags, not ever once laying them down.

Katsucon 20:

Thursday: Hamtaro
Friday - Default Alibaba Salujah
Fog Troupe Alibaba Salujah

Facebook meh XD http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00003760496949
Kaze Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #30
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

I didn't think it was a big deal.

Some people seem to be just LOOKING for things to get upset about.
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote