Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #31
aozorize

Quote:
I think it's disgusting that the Lolita community is so corrupt that girls are worried about wearing Bodyline to openings. WEAR LOLITA BECAUSE YOU LOVE LOLITA and stop giving a damn about whatever stupid brand you have on.
WORD

my sister was fretting about wearing bodyline or whatever to the AP opening because apparently it meant she was an ENEMY ON THE PREMISES or something

She always tells me how girls usually stick to one brand or whatever and I just don't get why you need to limit yourself like that...

Rant aside, I went to the opening. I'm not really into Lolita but it was still interesting to see what they had there.
aozorize is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #32
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozorize View Post
WORD

my sister was fretting about wearing bodyline or whatever to the AP opening because apparently it meant she was an ENEMY ON THE PREMISES or something

She always tells me how girls usually stick to one brand or whatever and I just don't get why you need to limit yourself like that...

Rant aside, I went to the opening. I'm not really into Lolita but it was still interesting to see what they had there.
Well, tell us people on the other side of the country how it was! :P

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #33
aozorize

Quote:
Well, tell us people on the other side of the country how it was! :P
It was a lot smaller than I expected actually (in terms of store space). And the line was pretty long, you had to wait for some people to be let out before more people could be let in because it was so crowded. AP had one side of the shop and the space was shared by other brands such as Sex Pot Revenge...and naturally everything on sale was super expensive lol

There was a lot of people dressed in lolita so people on the street kept staring. They kept saying stuff like "I have no idea what's going on" and some people took photos, I definitely liked seeing the passerby reactions XD There was one nasty middle-aged woman who muttered "bunch of freaks" though....
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #34
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozorize View Post
It was a lot smaller than I expected actually (in terms of store space). And the line was pretty long, you had to wait for some people to be let out before more people could be let in because it was so crowded. AP had one side of the shop and the space was shared by other brands such as Sex Pot Revenge...and naturally everything on sale was super expensive lol

There was a lot of people dressed in lolita so people on the street kept staring. They kept saying stuff like "I have no idea what's going on" and some people took photos, I definitely liked seeing the passerby reactions XD There was one nasty middle-aged woman who muttered "bunch of freaks" though....
Aha, I know how that feels, it's kind of like the lines and over-priced-ness of when I tried to get into the Ugg store and Juicy Couture when they opened a bunch of outlets near me.

I hate it when people just judge like that, I mean...I think that lolita is pretty! But, lol, this rant can go in another thread.

Oh and just a sort of random question, but how expensive is expensive? I've only ever seen their prices in terms of Yen, which isn't exactly the same...I just know it's expensive. xD

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #35
aozorize

The dresses were all in the hundreds, around $200-400 I think? My sis was hoping she could at least buy a shirt from sex pot revenge but even the simplest ones were $70 and up lol, so in the end we just looked at stuff but couldn't buy anything XD
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #36
ajisaiareku
~Sewing Maniaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMoufMouf View Post
Greeeeeat. Another over-priced Lolita store. ._.

I'm waiting for Bodyline to open a store here in SF. I think it's disgusting that the Lolita community is so corrupt that girls are worried about wearing Bodyline to openings. WEAR LOLITA BECAUSE YOU LOVE LOLITA and stop giving a damn about whatever stupid brand you have on.
I think calling the Lolita community corruptt is a little overboard. It really has nothing to do with corruption but rather thinking about what the shopkeepers and owner of AP are use too. Japanese girls who frequent AP stores in Japan wear ONLY AP and often will not mix the brand with absolutely anything else. Some of the guest and shopkeepers are use to seeing this type of customer in Japan so Lolitas here in States who frequent their blogs and see postings of their events overseas know this and don't wish to offend in anyway. It's also a showing of respect to the designers, if you have AP why not wear it to an AP opening event rather than dressing head to toe in another brand that isn't theres. It just doesn't pertain to Bodyline, there was people who weren't sure if they should even wear BTSSB or Metamorphose that are higher quality clothes than Bodyline because they didn't want to offend the hosts. I think people generally like to label before they look at all sides of a coin.
ajisaiareku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #37
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I would be more hesitant to wear another brand to an opening then I would be to wear bodyline. Especially if I wasn't sure I was going to buy something at the opening, because I wouldn't want to offend the owner.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #38
ajisaiareku
~Sewing Maniaz

I would be more hesitant to wear Bodyline than another brand not because some people think a little less of it but because Bodyline is well know for having stolen AP prints for their designs (Fruits Parlor) which I find to be more offending to the designer than wearing an another brand.
ajisaiareku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #39
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Ahh, I actually didn't know that.
Still, I doubt people could too offended at what people wore when the store just opened. Not everyone can affored to ship from japan and pay brand prices.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #40
Axelai
I'm Awesome

As the one who asked about wearing Bodyline:

I ended up not going to the opening due to the rain o___<;;

But i was worried because i know AP is a high quality Lolita brand, and i didn't want to go there in a lower quality brand and seem... i don't know, rude? It'd be like going to a high end restaurant in shorts and a tshirt. I love Bodyline, and i love their dresses, but they're a different category from AP. So thats why i was nervous.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #41
Musouka_Ningyou

Wearing Bodyline to an AP opening is a valid concern because it would be like wearing something from Wal-Mart to a desiger event. Obviously it's not a perfect comparison (especially since Bodyline and AP are a little closer in quality than WalMart and designer, and lolita is such a small fashion and a little more close-knit...), but it could potentially be seen as offensive to wear clothing from a brand known for knock-offs and lower quality (and I believe has a lower reputation in Japan than overseas? don't quote me on that, though) to an event centered around a higher-end brand. I'd be more worried about offending the overseas guests (AP owner and designers) than about offending the other people attending the opening.

As for AP being overpriced... ehh. There are some problems with defects (prints that run, thin fabric, etc.), and it's expensive compared to American clothes (especially with the current exchange rates), but it's not -horribly- overpriced. I mean, when looking at my AP vs. my Bodyline, my AP is a -whole- lot nicer. Bodyline is great for outfit fillers, though.

In the end, I bet that most people, even the designers and owners and everyone, would be happy just to see all the people there, lolita or not! The support is what really matters. (Well, as long as you aren't wearing a direct replica of AP, especially of a print, haha)

I didn't end up going. After reading some of the reports and considering the weather, I'm glad that I didn't make the 2+ hour trip out there for it. I'll go see the store when I'm in the city.
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote