Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1226 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #1831
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: Fujitatsu
Items purchased: Phantomhive Family Ring, 1 pair of Ciel costume shoes
Links to picture(s) of your received item: coming (blocked by a coscom error)

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Ordered 11/8, shipped 11/9, arrived 11/10 (within Japan)

Experience: Moderately-priced, obviously unliscenced (but poorly disguised) props and accessories that look great but definately on the suspicious side. The photos on their site are indeed what arrive in the mail... though the packaging is extremely bizarre and their desire to dodge liability is disconcerting.

I have no idea how the items will hold up with wear and will update this review after I've played guinea pig and worn them to an event.

The ring came packed in a very unofficial box branded with poor print outs of Kuroshitsuji characters and the logo. There is also a viewing window in the gift box... but the insert was put in backwards (with the ring on the opposite side of the window ^^; ) It is HUGE. I can't imagine who this ring was made for, but even on my thumb it's likely to fall off. Sadly, it isn't adjustable either. Aside from that, it's quite detailed and very pretty. I'll use something to pad it/line it to adjust the size.

The shoes came packed in a used Yves St. Laurent box in spite of having nothing (as far as I know) to do with YSL. They're new and appear to be made of non-reformed materials. They fit amazingly well and are comfortable enough. The laces are cheap and need to be replaced... the leather is also a bit on the thin side, making me worry about wearing them in the dead of winter without my feet turning to blocks of ice. That said, they look like a million bucks on and are just like Ciel's shoes in the Kuroshitsuji II promo art.

If only to rain on my parade, the shoes also came packed with a letter to assure me they are for "photography purposes only" and should be "removed as soon as photography is over". The same letter (a full page) tells me that the shoes may damage or stain other items if they aren't packed in a seperate box, that I should check the heels and laces before and after wear and remove them immediately if they prove difficult to walk in.

O-o;;;

Should new $80 shoes really scare the crap out of their purchaser?????

Pros:
-Domestic shipping from an in-Japan warehouse (located in Chiba). Items were all in-stock and provided extremely quickly. Shipping was via courier. The whole transaction was easy, quick and hassle free.
-8,379 yen for a pair of shoes, a ring, courier service, and the COD fee is pretty damn good.
-Rakuten means I can use my points from other rakuten merchants for discounts at this one and the points from this purchase toward transactions with others (Heal All, Bodyline, Zephyr, Etika, etc.)
-The items LOOK beautiful and are the same ones shown on the website. If anything, they're a bit nicer than what I expected from the somewhat poor-quality photos.
-The price was quite reasonable.

Cons:
-Suspicious packaging and weird letters dodging liability are really quite scary.
-Inconsistancy in Fujitatsu's photos, poor site design, and lame quaphics quality leave a bit of doubt as to the legitimacy/competancy of the folks maintaining it.
-Extremely low prices and a rakuten-exclusive site front make it very likely that Fujitatsu, in spite of it's Chiba address, is supplied by Chinese sweat shops. As a result, materials and craftsmanship may leave something to be desired both on quality and safety fronts.
-Their "original prices" are all BS. It's a common practice for dishonest rakuten storefronts to create highly inflated "original prices" for items and make them appear to be higher-quality items at an amazing discount. I don't for a second believe that the bootlegged, backwards-packed fake-silver ring I just bought for under $20 would EVER sell for nearly $70.

Final Grade: B (Great looking, but suspicious stuff)

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 11-10-2010 at 06:17 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #1832
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #1833
A. Saboteur
What do you require?

Name of Commissioner: The Hag

Website/C.com gallery:

Coscom profile: http://www.cosplay.com/member/72984

Character commissioned and series/video game: Two sets of insignia patches - the Brotherhood of Nod sigil for my Engineer costume, and the X-Com insignia for my X-Com soldier costume.

The Engineer is from Command & Conquer, and the X-Com soldier is from UFO: Enemy Unknown (also known as X-Com: UFO Defense).

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:

Nod sigil patches: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2769039/

X-Com insignia patches: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2769040/

Timeline (how long your order took to process): From initial contact to final delivery, I'd say about seven weeks.

(Most of that was hashing out details of size, design, etc., with a wait of about two weeks to let payment clear before actual production started.)

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.

Pros: The Hag was a very pleasant to work with, and most professional as well. She kept me updated on the status of the project, and working out the details of the patch designs was a fairly simple process.

Cons: Contact was a little spotty in the beginning, but I think that was mainly due to my primary email provider silently discarding The Hag's emails. Fortunately, my backup email worked just fine.

Comments: I chose to get three of each design made - two for use, and one as a backup (in case something happened to one of the two primary patches).

Final Grade: A+ - would definitely work with The Hag in future!

"Send me the best you've got, send me your strongest machine!
The fight my brother fought, here - now - will end with me!
Is this the best you've got? Is this your strongest machine?
Now with one powershot, you'll see what vengeance means!"
--Mega Man, "Vengeance"
The Protomen: Act I - The Protomen (a/k/a The Sons of Fate)
A. Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #1834
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: Vellsus
Items ordered: a wolf shag in white silver for a White Rabbit costume.
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: coming

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed through otamap and took about one week to process. Shipping was within Japan.

In search of a somewhat natural, flattering matte white for the White Rabbit from "Are you Alice?"... I ended up choosing another Vellsus.

Pros: As usual, the wig cap is well made and tightly-fitted. The fibres are very soft and thickly-rooted with no bald or sparse spots visable anywhere. Extra rooting on the underside of the wig cap near the ears help hide a usual trouble spot and make the wig even more seamless.

As unnatural as shock white usually is, this particular white is a actually a very light silver with a matte look and just a little bit of lustre. The fibers are soft, don't tangle or snarl in the least. The muted color is surprisingly flattering and doesn't make my skin look splotchy or red.

Don't be fooled by the out of control appearance of the wolf shag in it's catalog photos, it arrives much tamer with only a bit of flip in the sides. I imagine it could easily be styled into the catalog photo state, but for my own purposes, a more relaxed wig is just what I needed.

The price (4,680 yen) is a bit steep but I feel the wig is more than worth it's price-tag.

This particular cut has some layers and bounce with make me think it will thin out and take to crazier styles much better than the medium longs and the very short. I usually recommend against Vellsus for heavy styling, but I actually think the wolf shag would be a great thick base for a spiked wig.

Cons: None really. I've gotten to the point where I trust Vellsus to deliver a gorgeous product in a flattering color every time.

It's a little greyer than I had expected, but I think it will appear much brighter in flash and outdoor lighting.

Final Comments: This is my first Vellsus in the wolf shag style and my fourth Vellsus in all. I'm every bit as pleased with this one as I have been the others.

Final Grade: A+

Unread 11-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #1835
KittyKUNTagious

Name of Commissioner;
Loserific!

Website/C.com gallery;
http://www.cosplay.com/member/15147/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.)
Hatsune Miku, LOL PV, Sailor top, skirt, hair cuffs, and bloomers!

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item;
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/334000/

Timeline (how long your order took to process)
Emailed her on July 7th, deadline was October 1st, cosplay arrived EXACTLY at deadline~

She was REALLY nice and sweet, fast with communication, and did an excellent job.
Also, speedy, mainly because at some point, i think in the middle of the month, I changed the commission outfit to something out. At first it was suppose to be a different school girl out from a fighting game, but I wasnt able to do it anymore, so i decided to change it to Miku.
I didnt think it was enough time for her to do it since, i think it was only a month and a few weeks left until my deadline.
But she accepted the change without question.
When the deadline was close, she made sure the package was sent exactly on my due date, I wasnt really expecting it on the exact date since I have had other commissioners who told me it would arrive on a certain date, but instead I get it a few days or so later.
When it arrived, I couldnt believe it would arrive so quickly, some time between twelve and one.
When I opened the package, it was neatly placed with wrapping paper and cute Hello Kitty stickers!<3
It was really well made and fit nicely, considering it was a rushed job, in my opinion, since I changed things out of the blue.
Only problem was the top was a little too big on me, but only because the original design was suppose to be baggy.
But I rather it be big and fit then small and not fit~
I did ask her to make me a pair of socks, but she didnt have time for it, but it wasnt that big of a deal since they were just socks, and returned a few bucks to me since she couldnt make it on time, and even offered to make the socks for free.
That was definitely kind of her, but I felt like the small refund was more then enough, so I declined.
It was great commissioning from her and I would totally commission her again!

Final Grade; A+

Last edited by KittyKUNTagious : 11-13-2010 at 11:00 AM.
KittyKUNTagious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #1836
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Unread 11-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #1837
sailortintin
Xenofreak

Name of Commissioner: ExTurkValentine/WonderlandWigs

Website/C.com gallery:

http://www.cosplay.com/member/164040/

http://wonderlandwigs.deviantart.com/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Xenosaga Realian wig

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...h/101_0738.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...h/101_0739.jpg

Timeline (how long your order took to process): I commissioned sometime in early September and received it before Halloween (I due date)

Pros: The wig is styled like the character's hair. I received a Pm telling me when she shipped it. It's also long (Almost butt length).

Cons: I didn't receive any progress photos. I like to be kept up to date.

Final Grade: A-

Dragoon Miranda remake (Legend of Dragoon): 20%
Princess Agitha (Zelda): 10%
Princess Eclair (La Pucelle): 40%
sailortintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #1838
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Ferrin seems to have created a new account.

http://www.cosplay.com/member/162572/

Both the new and old account have only one costume -- the same character and empty profiles. The user in both sets of images appears to be the same user.

You may want to connect the old account with the new one in the review listings to prevent confusion.

Unread 11-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #1839
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

Name of Merchant: Cosplaywig
Item purchased: Fairy Tail Natsu Wig- Milkshake Pink
Links to picture(s) of your received item: http://i52.tinypic.com/2cfqqh2.png (trimmed up the back a bit and the sides, styled very lightly.
Timeline: took about...maybe 5 days before it shipped out, then took about maybe a week and a half for it to arrive.

Pros: The pricing on their wigs seems really good, it's affordable...and because it was, I was kind of worried about getting a skimpy wig, but the wig is soft, thick, and has a great color, it also doesn't have too high of a shine, and shows up really natural looking on camera despite its unnatural color. I'm kind of glad that it came a bit too long for me, because I was able to trim it up and style it the way I wanted it exactly. Also, their communication is very good, and direct.

Cons: None that I can think of, other than that the wig looks funny on a wig head. xD but that's ok, because my wig head isn't exactly...head-shaped.

other info: I was surprised that I didn't get EMS and I still had to sign for it when it came to the door, which is a good thing I guess.

Final Grade: A++
Soul Eater: Blaire(male)- Page 12, Chapter 73.
Male Dagger/Garnet: Final Fantasy-9

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #1840
The_CFR
Cosplayer/Furry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myuutsuufan View Post
How's the lawsuit going? Did you win? I'd have loved to file one against her, since she NEVER sent me the coat I commissioned her to make or the refund. I'm not holding my breath for either.
Welcome to the club, guys. It sucks that I got great results for the first costume and nothing afterwards. I am most likely the person she screwed out of the most. I feel guilty for posting such a positive review earlier. Of course, it was well earned but then she just stagnated.

Current cosplays!
Lucario (40% complete) - Otakon
Jubei (10% Complete) - Otakon
The_CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #1841
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Merchant Review: yuer_top2010

Name of Merchant: yuer_top2010
Item purchased (please include quantity): 2010 New sexy vogue hair short wavy curly blonde wig
Links to picture(s) of your received item: To be added in the future, or if i never do and you check this years from now, look through my gallery to my fem!America cosplay. That will be the wig after some styling
Timeline (how long your order took to process): Bought on Nov 4th, arrived today on the 18th
Describe your Experience.

Well, i was worried it wouldn't make it in time (needed it by sunday) but then it came today ^^ I was happy.

The wig isn't as dull colored as it looks in the pictures: its a lot happier of a blonde shade. And... i guess this is my own fault. But its a lot longer and poofier than i thought it would be. I guess the length of their wig head's neck threw me off. The wig went past my shoulders, when it was supposed to barely reach my shoulders. That was fixed in a matter of seconds with a handy pair of scissors. The curls were also much poofier than i imagined... but thats okay, haha

All in all, it was great to work with her. She left a little note in the package with a pair of cute ear-rings in it, along with this note:

Dear friend:
Thank you for your Purchase ! Could you leave me all five stars Positive Feedback ? Thanks... I really want to make friendship with you , I give you a free gift , Hope you could love it ! I think friendship is the most important , Thank you very much !
Your Sincerely Chinese friend

I laughed a little bit.

Thanks <3

Final Grade: A

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #1842
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #1843
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Name of Commissioner - Chokichi

Commission - Noel Vermillion guns (prop)
Timeline (how long your order took to process) - Just under one month

-----------------------------------------
Pros - Extremely fast work time, considering the props, with absolutely no sacrifice to craftsmanship. Everything about the guns was perfect, right down to the weight.
-----------------------------------------
Cons - None, really

Final Grade: A++

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:29 AM   #1844
Charubi
Queen of Indecision

Name of Commissioner: HelloCosplay.com

Website/C.com gallery: HelloCosplay.com

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Organization XIII Coat from Kingdom Hearts series (Large zipper version)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Here

Timeline (how long your order took to process): I ordered the coat on November 17, 2010. My payment went through on November 20, 2010, and the coat arrived at my house on November 22, 2010. So five days. xD I was thoroughly impressed.

Pros: The coat is exactly what I wanted; actually even better than I anticipated. I thought it might be lighter due to flimsier fabric or something but it's actually quite heavy and holds its shape well. Despite that it's been pretty comfortable to wear so far (have only worn it for two photo sessions in my bedroom, for about ten to twenty minutes each) and is fully lined. It also photographs well; seems to be a nice mix between blindingly shiny and completely matte. The pockets are also functional, which will be excellent for carrying con stuff with me, and the hood fits pretty well and isn't too fussy to deal with in getting up and down. The shipping was also incredibly fast, as stated above, though I suspect I may have just lucked out with that one. xD; The hardware (included with the coat) seems pretty sturdy, and hangs well on the coat.

Cons: I've found a few loose threads on the inside, but that's pretty easily fixed. It's also a bit shorter than I expected it to be, but it actually makes it easier to move and such so I'm not too disappointed in that. The shipping was also a bit expensive ($20.00), but since I received it in only 5 days I'm really not complaining.

Comments: All in all I absolutely love this coat; I am so happy I decided to order it. The prices were reasonable for the quality, shipping was incredibly fast, and I've only found one or two loose threads in it. If I ever need another piece of a costume similar to this, Hello Cosplay will definitely be one of my first choices to search. 8D

Final Grade: A+

For Sale
~ Wine Red Braid ~
Charubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #1845
happyhellhound

Cosplaysky Teto Cosplay

Name of Commissioner: Cosplaysky.com
Website/C.com gallery: http://cosplaysky.com/vocaloid-teto-...y-costume.html

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Teto Kasane Costume (shirt, skirt, arm thingies, and "belt")

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1907.jpg (Ta-da!)

Timeline (how long your order took to process): I ordered the outfit on the 6th of November and they shipped it on the 22nd, got here today on the 24th. Sooner than I expected :'D

Pros: Great costume, looks pretty much like the photo on the site but it's slightly darker in color. The fabric is comfy and it fits me like a glove. The skirt has multiple belt loops and the shirt has actual breast pockets on it. The skirt's also a really nice length <3 Arm bands hold up really well and are just the right length. Delivery was speedy for a custom costume all the way from China! Oh and good customer service on the site itself. Cheap too!

Cons: A couple loose threads, I'm a little afraid of the buttons falling off but only time will tell :/ Also, I had hoped the costume would have been grayer but I'm starting to get over that fact XD Oh and the shipping was $20...

Comments: I would definitely consider using Cosplaysky again, some of the online reviews were scaring me but they were totally wrong!

Final Grade: A
happyhellhound is offline   Reply With Quote