Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #46
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin
 
UsakoLuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSoliloquy View Post
Um, it is a style of clothing, not molecular physics.
Molecular physics is a little less confusing than lolita sometimes.
__________________
Wanna hear me ramble?
@usakoluna
Amusement of A Princess
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline  
 
Unread 11-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #47
SecretSoliloquy
can'tfindlinktodeletepro
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Molecular physics is a little less confusing than lolita sometimes.
Apparently! haha
SecretSoliloquy is offline  
Unread 11-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #48
burning112d
Registered User
 
burning112d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Ah It's so much easier being a man at times. We just get to wear really cool suits! No worries about good lace or bad lace. (I've had a lolita friend lecture me on this topic for at least an hour)
burning112d is offline  
Unread 11-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #49
SecretSoliloquy
can'tfindlinktodeletepro
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by burning112d View Post
Ah It's so much easier being a man at times. We just get to wear really cool suits! No worries about good lace or bad lace. (I've had a lolita friend lecture me on this topic for at least an hour)
Women get to wear pretty cool suits, too. And, if he looks good in it, a real man can pull off a dress.
SecretSoliloquy is offline  
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #50
burning112d
Registered User
 
burning112d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSoliloquy View Post
Women get to wear pretty cool suits, too. And, if he looks good in it, a real man can pull off a dress.
True, I've seen quite a few good cross lolitas.. in fact isn't one of the leaders of lolita fashion a man? (Mana I think is his name)
burning112d is offline  
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #51
Eleksin
Eleksin
 
Eleksin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 462
But Mana always dresses like a woman anyway. XD

Brolitas are awesome. I saw one recently at a convention I went to and he looked just fabulous! He looked so pretty in that blue JSK, so much that I was jealous. XP
Eleksin is offline  
Unread 11-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #52
burning112d
Registered User
 
burning112d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Yes a good brolita is very awesome, many of them put some girls to shame.

I'm more into Dandy(well mixed with steampunk) myself.
burning112d is offline  
Unread 11-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #53
Axelai
I'm Awesome
 
Axelai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,405
After reading a lot of the earlier posts in here... I just need to say. This guy is coming out and asking for help. Telling him to give up because he doesn't know enough isn't helpful... its like... if he's coming for help, he obviously cares. u____u;; This is why i don't wear lolita often. Whenever i do, everyone is quick to say "you obviously don't know" then shut me out. What ever happened to "Oh, thats not right, try this"? Helping is helpful. Telling someone to give up because they obviously don't know is just plain rude and makes you seem like an elitest jerk.

*grumbles* I hate it when i see that sort of thing happen.
__________________
Upcoming Conventions:
SacAnime, Anime LA, Anime Conji

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline  
Unread 11-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #54
Eleksin
Eleksin
 
Eleksin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 462
We were trying to help him. Also those people who say things like that to you do not represent the lolita community as a whole. Just like any fashion they were be the few who are complete bitches that ruin everything, but a majority of people are nice. Don't let the few "elitists" that you met ruin the fashion for you. Most of the time, people like that actually never dress in lolita and have no idea what they are talking about.
Eleksin is offline  
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #55
lolita*neko
Registered User
 
lolita*neko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
After reading a lot of the earlier posts in here... I just need to say. This guy is coming out and asking for help. Telling him to give up because he doesn't know enough isn't helpful... its like... if he's coming for help, he obviously cares. u____u;; This is why i don't wear lolita often. Whenever i do, everyone is quick to say "you obviously don't know" then shut me out. What ever happened to "Oh, thats not right, try this"? Helping is helpful. Telling someone to give up because they obviously don't know is just plain rude and makes you seem like an elitest jerk.

*grumbles* I hate it when i see that sort of thing happen.
No one told him to give up. Everyone was just telling him to do his research before trying to sell his things because it was apparent he didn't know simple basics about the style or the importance of quality/construction when it comes to making day to day clothing to sell lolita items. How does that translate to 'give up'? Personally I think he was getting some helpful information amongst it all. When it all comes down to it I really don't know what the hell he was wanting us to say him because his questions were answered - he has nothing to complain about. If he was expecting to get a pat on the back and a thread personally teaching him how lolita and clothing production works however this is not the place to be searching for that.
Why is this still being rehashed? Why do people still not get this? xD

And directly to Axelai: who the heck are you talking about? I never see anyone being flat out rude to newbies in the style in my years of being into lolita, yet I still hear stories like this - I'm beginning to think people are either too sensitive/paranoid or there's some secret douch-bag lolita community. xD I'm honestly curious as to who talked to you like that. :c

Last edited by lolita*neko : 11-25-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Clearing up something. OTL
lolita*neko is offline  
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #56
sylf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 106
This thread is spinning wildly off-topic... I'm rather sorry to have missed all the drama though. XD

In my own opinion, I find lolita communities are generally nice, but things can also turn nasty and full of cat fights between a few individuals on a somewhat frequent basis. Often enough so that I sometimes wonder if I want to be associated with "those rude, elite lolis." ><;; I think a lot of the rudeness stems from lolitas who are just tired of hearing newbies ask (what seems to them) ridiculously misinformed questions repeatedly. So then they respond very firmly, maybe somewhat insensitively, telling the newb to go do some research first. But that only serves to make the newcomer feel they're being put down or made to sound stupid, rather than helped, and puts them on defensive. So then people just end up being offended and the newb goes off to tell everyone about how rude all lolitas are. I do think that some of the posts in this thread were a little blunt and could have been worded a bit nicer. I'm not saying that everyone should be handled with gloves, nor that I've always been the most polite - some people are just plain stubborn and refuse to listen to good advice no matter how you say it. But really, I think a lot of such fights could be avoided if people were to try and be more understanding and explain themselves rather than getting all superior/offended and telling newbs that they don't know anything (which may be true). People are simply more likely to take advice and show more respect if your advice is phrased nicely. This isn't aimed at anyone in particular btw - those are just my observations from lurking lolita comms for a year or so... and in my opinion, that's why lolita seems to have such a reputation for elitism and nastiness.
sylf is offline  
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #57
celticfreefall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 821
Reenactment of a typical situation that results in this pretty lulzy and incorrect opinion.

Newbie: I have a question!

Lolitas: We answered your question!

Newbie: Well, I guess that's your opinion. I'm now going to completely disregard it since it doesn't fit into my nice little box I had you all in!

Lolitas: Okay, but, that's not lolita.

Newbie: I don't care, I'm doing it my way!

Lolitas: That's still not f*cking lolita.

Newbie: YOU'RE ALL RUDE BITCHES?!?!?111

Lolitas: You're not getting it. We're just trying to help you get it right.

Newbie: FLOUNCES.

In my over half a decade of being a lolita, I've seen maybe two or three instances where people were purposefully rude to a newbie with no provocation. Generally people tend to fly off the handle when being explained things multiple different ways, which happens when newbies basically ignore or seemingly ignore getting the advice they themselves ask for. It's truely annoying. It doesn't help that inane advice needing happens so often that seasoned lolitas basically mentally copy paste some honest and oftentimes blunt information to generic easily googled questions. But anyways.

This argument again. Oh joy.

celticfreefall is offline  
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #58
DireKitty
Captain Kittens
 
DireKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,180
That kitty is so cute!

BTW, is that good lace on that bow? yes/no
I'm guessing the picture is too blurry to really tell. Could be a jedi mind trick...
DireKitty is offline  
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #59
Ororo Howlett
When in doubt, FRAG OUT!
 
Ororo Howlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
After reading a lot of the earlier posts in here... I just need to say. This guy is coming out and asking for help. Telling him to give up because he doesn't know enough isn't helpful... its like... if he's coming for help, he obviously cares. u____u;; This is why i don't wear lolita often. Whenever i do, everyone is quick to say "you obviously don't know" then shut me out. What ever happened to "Oh, thats not right, try this"? Helping is helpful. Telling someone to give up because they obviously don't know is just plain rude and makes you seem like an elitest jerk.

*grumbles* I hate it when i see that sort of thing happen.
Who told him to give up? I don't get it! Since when does "Do some research" mean "GTFO MY FASHION"? Dude asked some questions and not a single one of the answers given to him were the least bit snarky.
__________________
XBL Gamertag: ur NME 123
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000
01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101
00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000
01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001
01100101 00101110
Ororo Howlett is offline  
Unread 11-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #60
Meiki
Registered User
 
Meiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,300
You know, it drives me nuts sometimes that people think we're terrible bitches. We get questions like this every day, with people not bothering to read anything that's already provided and easy to find on this board. It took a lot of time for me to put the links list back to updated and good, and to compile and update the mini-handbook, which all have clear and easy-to-read guides linked like a million times over. And yes, when someone wanders into this forum with little to no knowledge of the fashion and without surveying the stickies (which is common courtesy on forums I feel) and asks questions without a basic idea of what they should be doing and a special snowflake attitude, like most of the new lolitas I've seen, I feel we have every right to tell them to do some damn research and figure out what the fashion really is.

...as a side note, I love your post celticfreefall. Pretty much every day of my lolita life, right there.
__________________
Make Lovely, my Lolita blog!
Meiki is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.