Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Kildread
I can fix it!

Megamind head

So.... after seeing Megamind, I just can't help myself at wanting to cosplay him --- I'm fairly sure I can find commissionners for the suit and gun itself.

But the problem remains the head :

See.

So.... it's not really a helmet, but it's sure as hell not a wig either. And it would require to be firmly anchored without showing too much.

Not without approaching the fact the skin paint and prop paint would need to be the same.

I seriously think there's no way to get around this one except make it myself, except I can't seem to know where to begin XD

Any suggestions on how to approach this?
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Bettsie

I would think the easiest way would be to paper mache and then finish it nicely and paint it well. But it you are looking for a more professional look I would go with a mold gel or casting it from a mold. (these could be more complicated and expensive) I would go to an art store in your area that knows what they are talking about and look into buying MoldGel Silfree Alginate. I would pour it over a balloon or something that is the shape you are going for. It might take a couple tries, but should work out good. Check it by the art store. Let me know how it turns out!
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Kildread
I can fix it!

I've looked at possibilities for using paper mache for the basic form, it seems like a good idea (Using a kind of wire for the mold would seen to be my best bet). I'm not sure I have the skill (or knowledge) necessary to work with an advanced product like MoldGel, but the final look some of the work I've found using that were very good!

Sadly, I'm still looking for possibilities regarding an arts/craft store, I live in the boonies, and the craft store that was on my street closed last year, I've been looking for another such place with professionnals, but I seem to fall more on places axed towards art via paint only. However, the search is still on!

Thanks for the input
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
BAMF

Well usually things like this in film would be made with latex, which is probably the hardest most expensive way of going about it.

One way would be to make a dome on top of your head out of foam or papier mache (using a ball or balloon to get the shape) then stretch fabric over it and attach it all to a balaclava made of the same material. Exposing your ears and face and all that of course.

I think that's your best option, I do a similar thing with my fursuit and Venom masks:
http://pyro-the-maniac.deviantart.co...%3Ascraps&qo=1

http://pyro-the-maniac.deviantart.co...%3Ascraps&qo=0

Good luck with that though and it's awesome to see someone doing a Megamind costume.
BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Kildread
I can fix it!

Yeah, latex is kind of out of my league --- both in material and skill necessary. Combining your idea of using a balaclava over the dome would get rid of the problem of making the thing hold over my head correctly throughout the day if I have fabric reaching under the suit attached in some way.

What fabric did you use for your venom mask? The texture seems to be pretty smooth...
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
BAMF

It's a latex/lycra fabric, very shiney. Id' recommend just plain lycra for your costume, of the two fabrics it's got the matte appearance of skin.
BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Kildread
I can fix it!

My choices of lycra turned out to be pretty limited locally --- can't find it in the color I'm looking for, not really inclined to order it as I'm unsure on how well I'll do with fabric.

I've turned my head towards using latex as the last covering with paint to match the makeup, doing so would enable tme to also make it merge pretty well to my skin without just being a fabric covering.

The starting base is that of a construction helmet (Which I remove some of the excess parts of), it gives a base increase to my head (Upwards and all sides) and also ensures stability of it. Using foam, I'm planning to give it a rounder look (Papier maché didn't give me the end result I was expecting --- but I might just suck with it ).

Problem is that I can't use foam for the back of my upper neck where this unnatural head should connect, that's where latex might be a decent idea on this end. Still toying with it in order to get the best end result.

Though I'll likely try foam that hasn't been given the glue treatment, see if it's a possibility and would still allow head movement.

I've also found a commissionner for the suit & gun, so that project is a go, just need to wrap up and make the head so it's usable.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
supermau5

Keep us updated how this one goes.... I can help you out if all else fails. (Check out my sig links).
Unread 12-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau5 View Post
Keep us updated how this one goes.... I can help you out if all else fails. (Check out my sig links).
Checked, shame that there's no reference pictures though. My atual plan is just for the enlarged cranium, I plan to use face paint for the face and exposed skin, so I can make some expressions in costume.

I've tore my first try apart, recuperating the helmet and using actual insulation foam, made the general shape, the rough cut and sanding is done for the upper part, now I need some stuff to fill in the gaps between the foam and correct the minor cut/sand mistakes I've done on the whole thing. I've padded the top with craft foam (Since I only needed a few millimeters of stuff to cover the hole and mold over the helmet's top), but I might tear that out and replace it with a thinner layer of insulation foam, craft foam is a little too flimsy and can't be sanded

I might require to rework some parts, as the angle I'd need to connect the forehead and sides of my actual head to the prop would be too steep to provide something that remotely looks natural --- or so I think.

Checking my options for the lower part right now, if I mold something to fit, use foam, or what's not. I already have the latex sealant/primer coating I'll use before apply the shade of blue I want (Will be determined when I've picked and gotten the makeup so I can match it the best I can).

I'll likely link progress pics when (if?) I ever feel confident enough about the future result/method. Right now I feel quite silly/dorky wearing the incomplete thing.
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Falling-Pixie

I'm trying to work out what to do as well and this thread is a giant help. I haven't actually done anything yet but I had thoughts on how I'd accomplish it. Just thought I'd share them, in case someone can take them and make them better lol I kinda want to know what you all think. If it'll work or not.
This is me being inexperienced with all this. lol
What I originally thought was I could take a styrofoam type consistency so it gives it shape. I'd carve out the head to extend on my own. Once it's shaped correctly, not really having to fit completely on, I want to take a bald cap of some sort. Perhaps make my own so it's larger. It will be my skin color to match my own. This should stretch over the foam and my head together, so it blends the skin with the extension. Since it's a bald cap, it should stick to my head keeping the foam secure. I can then paint my extension head with the same stuff as my face. Since the bald cap is my skin color, it has the same base color underneath the blue. I could then spray/paint some sort of coating over the bald head, sealing the blue color but keeping it the same consistency as my painted face. It won’t smudge, ideally.

Does any of this sound as if it'd work?? I thought it out the other day.
Falling-Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Are u saying ur putting a bald caliber the foam??? It won't work... It'll stretch and tear before u could get it down past the page.
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Falling-Pixie

Yeah like how you streach it over your head. I wanted to try and find one that was big enough but if I do, I think the part that goes around my temples will be too big as well lol. I thought perhaps making my own but it's so difficult!! ><
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Ya it'll rip and there isn't one that big... U could prob cost the thing in liquid latex but it's def better to make a foam latex head piece
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
Falling-Pixie

A foam latex piece? How do you mean? One of my friends suggested a conehead cap. It's tall enough but he wasn't sure if it'd be horizantal enough. Not sure, I still need to test out differnt things. lol I'm trying to find one that requires less work XD
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #15
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Foam latex is a type of prosthetic piece. Watch an episode of face off on scify and ull see it's what they make movie makeup pieces out of. It's not an easy thing to work with but there are people who commission them and u could learn to apply it fairly easily
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll