Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
TR Rose
Meowing About

Going to make a first attempt

I've been looking through the guides and links for a while, and I've finally decided to try making a simple loli-style skirt. I followed one of the links in the tutorials link list, and it doesn't seem too difficult - elastic waist and a ruffle at the bottom. Mainly I wanted something kind of special for Christmas at church, so I probably wouldn't wear it to a convention.

A few questions though (more for curiosity than anything else)...

Do you need to have lace on the skirt? I was going to make a skirt with ruffles on the bottom edge. But does it need lace as well?

Honestly speaking - is there an age limit for lolita style? I've read a few things that suggest that one should stop wearing it after a certain age. I don't think that the exploded-cupcake look (pink frills everywhere, etc) would look right on me. But what I was wanting to make is a darker colored fabric with a cute print. I had never tried the style before because I was afraid of looking ridiculous, but maybe the darker color would help. I know that aristocrat is the "grown up" kind of lolita, but I want to make a knee-length skirt.

Are any prints ok? I know that certain prints are more loli than others - cakes, crowns, etc. But what about seasonal prints? The fabric I got is a dark blue with a small snowflake pattern. Is that ok, or do seasonal themes go into the "cosplay" side of lolita?

Another random question - do tights have to be a certain color? I'm sure that tan or white would look good with most things, black might look good with darker colors, but how do other colors look with lolita? Or is that a "no"?

Thanks for reading!
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Meiki

Lace certainly isn't mandatory. A couple of my favorite skirts just have ruffles on the bottom.

I don't really think there is an age limit to lolita style. It's kind of a personal preference though, some girls might disagree with me on that. I think though, as you said, that super super sweet is less common on older girls because it does feel a little too young to them.

Prints are totally fine! I like seasonal prints myself, brands release them for the winter time too. The fabric you described sounds like it would make a really pretty skirt.

Tights don't have to be a certain color, they basically just have to match whatever you're wearing. I have a big collection of brightly colored tights, most of which I've worn with lolita before.
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
TR Rose
Meowing About

Thanks very much for the input. I've been a lurker on these boards for a while now, but never ventured into looking at making something myself.
• 10th Doctor
Unread 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
TR Rose
Meowing About

One more question - are any kind of boots appropriate with loli? I know that Mary Janes are the standard, but for winter, are there a specific kind of boots that are more acceptable than others? Obviously Hot Topic/punk/military boots are out. But what about more 'fashion' boots? Ankle length, knee length, etc?
• 10th Doctor
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
fabrickind

Generally, knee-high lace-up boots are the most accepted. Often you can buy them with bows, scallops, and other cute decorations on them, but plain ones that have a more delicate shape (so not Docs or some other really clompy style) work just as well. Some people also really like "granny" boots, those lower calf-mid calf fairly plain ones. If you have a creative coordination, you can get away with all sorts of boots -- Uggs, wellies, etc. I wear regular "fashion" boots with loli all the time, but generally as an everyday kind of thing because the ones I have are really comfy to walk in. I also have some really short tan-coloured lace-up boots that I love, but they are a little more out there (especially with their ~3.5" heel, haha). You also don't want fetish boots or anything too sexy.

If you are just starting out, it is probably best to stick with regular knee-high lace-up boots. this would be a good example Note the delicate shape, feminine detailing, and relatively sleek shape (though platform boots in a similar style are also acceptable).
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote