Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
burning112d

Do you consider Kodona/Dandy/Boystyle/Ouji do be lolita?

I've noticed that this appears to be a bit of a controversy, I was wondering why is this the case?

I thought these styles derived from Lolita style the same way the Kimono lolitas (wa-lolita I think) developed out of it too?

Is the style so strict as to not allow variation like this?

Please don't get upset with me, I know quite a few lolitas and I tend to dress dandy myself and they all seem to be rather inclusive than exclusive. A lolita friend of mine told me it was more about attitude (to embrace modesty, etc) than about the strict style. Is this true or would you yell at a dandy posting in your forums?
burning112d is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Meiki

If you look back a ways, we've always had questions about boy style here, which I don't really mind. They go together, look nice together, and share a similar time-period basis, but Dandy/ouji/kodona is not simply "male lolita," they have rules, a subculture and brands of their own. They are, however, different styles entirely, which is why the "dandy/ouji/kodona loli" label is incorrect. These styles get their roots from a revival of the Teddy boys movement if I'm not mistaken: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Boys so the start of the fashion has an entirely different basis from lolita.
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
burning112d

Then why do some of the bibles include Dandy styles in them? I've had my friend show me her bibles and point them out to me. (I didn't really believe her)
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Meiki

Well the Gothic and Lolita Bibles have lots of marginally related styles, not just lolita. They have punk, lolita, boy styles, aristocrat, and gothic stuff. Even occasionally things like mori girl, fairy kei, or otome style if they fit in well enough.
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
burning112d

I see. Thank you.

Well then, in the interest of being educatified. What makes Dandy not lolita? Is it not having the dress shape/silohoutte? Or is it that it embraces a masculine style and lolita is about embracing feminine style? (yes, I know these questions are probably answered elsewhere but I am interested in your opinion on the matter)
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
Meiki

For a number of reasons. As I said previously, they come from different backgrounds. Yes, I do think the traditionally overly feminine or masculine clothes do make a big difference in dividing them. There's also the problem with the completely different rules, a petticoat would look pretty ridiculous with kodona and pants wouldn't look right with lolita.

That's not to say that they don't have similar realms of influence, or that I hate boystyle or anything, but they're basically just polar opposites to me that look really good together but shouldn't be labeled as the same thing.
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
burning112d

I see.

But wouldn't you say that Dandy is perhaps the best analogue of a masculine lolita? Same/similar community, outlook, very similar style trends, both embrace the idea of modesty, etc, That you could say there's a strict lolita style, which dandy etc are not but in the broader lolita world it could count? (like for instance do you consier wa-lolita to be lolita?)

I mean there is brolita and that's really cool but that's still embracing the feminine aspects.
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
celticfreefall

It wouldn't be "broader lolita" as much as "broader gothic sub style". The Gothic and Lolita Bibles are just that, the wide array Gothic styles and then style specific lolita. Lolita is a really, really specific style just as Aristocrat is, or Dolly Kei. They're all counter culture styles under the same umbrella but are significantly unique to themselves. Lolita is lolita. Kodona is kodona. You could say that Kodona or Boystyle would be the best "match" to be the polar opposite of lolita in a complimentary style, but that's really subjective.
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
burning112d

Valid point