Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #31
sephygoth
Hater lover

I remember when this idea used to be a joke
cosplaying a real person, where's the imangination and creativity in that? are we trying anymore?
note: cosplaying a fanboy/fangirl doesnt qualify
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #32
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

I dunno.
How is it any different than creating a costume of an anime character or video game character?
I mean, sure, people didn't create the real people they're cosplaying, but, then again, people generally don't create the characters they cosplay. So, really, just as much creativity is needed to cosplay anything, no matter what the inspiration.

The only instance I can think of in which we create our own characters AND costumes are OC cosplays. (I'd actually really enjoy seeing really baller OC cosplays.)

Also, a lot of people make the argument, "But real people wear boring clothes!"

Really, anime characters do too, a lot of the time. Examples: Shizuo from Durarara!! wears black pants, a white shirt, a black vest, and sunglasses. Light Yagami from Death Note wears a white shirt, khakis and a red tie. And there are too many "school uniform" characters to count.

Lady GaGa, Cher, Elton John, Katy Perry, and Boy George, on the other hand...lol.

I think cosplay is an evolving hobby/pastime/sport? lol. I'm actually pretty excited that people are considering cosplaying other things besides simply anime. I see it as taking it to a different level. Not a better or worse level, but a different one.
I mean, in the end it's all mimicry anyway.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #33
BeautifulDirt

Eventually, I'll get around to cosplaying Lady Gaga and my friend is going to be Beyonce...

And Snooki. I love Snooki.
BeautifulDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #34
t0uchof1nsanity

LOL I'm gonna be Snooki this week o.o

Next con: Nekocon 14!
t0uchof1nsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #35
principe
Cosplay in the Works.

Super. Kai ( GazettE ) from Filth in Beauty or Reita~. :]

Youtube lovin`.

Looking for a cosplayer partner or interested in becoming my cosplay partner? Click here!
principe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #36
gerokero

miku in the an cafe days haha
gerokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #37
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulDirt View Post
Eventually, I'll get around to cosplaying Lady Gaga and my friend is going to be Beyonce...

And Snooki. I love Snooki.
Oh, that would be perfect! I assume you mean "Telephone" Lady Gaga and Beyonce?

Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Various rockstars
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #38
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I've done a Lady Gaga costume, and I've got another planned for the near future. That's about it, though.

This past Dragon*Con my friends and I had a running joke that we should get bad fake tans and cosplay the Jersey Shore cast! don't think that'll happen though

btw, Elton John cosplay would kick ass!
youtu be channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #39
ctg21361

Just recently, at AUSA, I did 'Weekend' hide (X [Japan]), his outfit in the PV when he throws his guitar on the couch (hat, jacket, button-down shirt, palazzo pants and boots).
ctg21361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #40
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctg21361 View Post
Just recently, at AUSA, I did 'Weekend' hide (X [Japan]), his outfit in the PV when he throws his guitar on the couch (hat, jacket, button-down shirt, palazzo pants and boots).
Awww, yay!

Various rockstars
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #41
KiraKage
~DeathNoteRox~

I think it would be fun to cosplay as one of your favorite singers.

Adam Lambert, Tokio Hotel, Pierce the Veil, Blood on the Dance Floor, Black Veil Brides, Jeffree Star.
KiraKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #42
Burton
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
I actually really, really, REALLY want someone to dress as Ziggy Stardust and do drag with me to "Under Pressure."
Lol! I was looking at your Freddie costume pictures the other day and going, "DAMN I wish I could cosplay Bowie and do Under Pressure with them!" I almost commented but... shy. I'm reading your planned cosplays and you do drag? Do you wear the costumes for performance?

I did a lot of J-Rock cosplay when I was in HS so it's always seemed fairly acceptable to me to cosplay real people. If they have a notable "image" or stage persona, I don't see where it's different than cosplaying a character. There seems to be a nice amount of it at my favorite convention, Dragon*Con. Axl Rose. KISS. Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister. I saw Joan Jett this year.

I've done Gaga.
I'm currently working on Ziggy Stardust.
I'm also cosplaying as Russell Brand and I like to have fantasies of someone cosplaying Katy Perry in one of her California Girls outfits with me.

I'd also love to do Adam Ant or find a partner to do Mick Jagger and David Bowie from the Dancing In The Streets video.

Jareth the Goblin King - The Labyrinth
Derpy Hooves - My Little Pony
Sherlock Holmes - BBC Sherlock
Castiel - Supernatural

Upcoming Conventions

Youmacon 2012
Dragon*Con 2012
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #43
Burton
Space Oddity

Also, how could I forget, The Beatles. I would love to do Sgt. Pepper. When I was 10, I organized all my friends into a routine to Sgt Pepper for a talent show. One of the girl's moms made us the costumes. They were awful but we were 10 yrs old. Now that I'm into cosplay, I'd love to do an accurate Sgt Pepper uniform.

I also have a soft spot for the early 60s suits, Chelsea boots and bowl cuts.

Castiel - Supernatural

Upcoming Conventions

Youmacon 2012
Dragon*Con 2012
Unread 12-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #44
Le Communard
A Voice Called and I Came

I've always entertained doing a rockstar get up once: probably Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan, mabye even Kieth Richards. Of course, an Outlaw Country artist might be fun too, like Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson. Or even a classic like Hank Williams. It would be amusing from an ironic point of view.

Quote:
Also, how could I forget, The Beatles. I would love to do Sgt. Pepper. When I was 10, I organized all my friends into a routine to Sgt Pepper for a talent show. One of the girl's moms made us the costumes. They were awful but we were 10 yrs old. Now that I'm into cosplay, I'd love to do an accurate Sgt Pepper uniform.
My dream for the Fab Four would be to put together a babershop quartet that could just bust out in the greatest hits on the showroom floor (All you need is love, buh duh duhh duh duhhhhhh...). Of course the group gig that I'm surprised hasn't been done is Village People--they're really just asking for it.

ETA: Or Spinal Tap, even if they aren't strictly "real".

Last edited by Le Communard : 12-18-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Le Communard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #45
Burton
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Communard View Post
I've always entertained doing a rockstar get up once: probably Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan, mabye even Kieth Richards. Of course, an Outlaw Country artist might be fun too, like Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson. Or even a classic like Hank Williams. It would be amusing from an ironic point of view.

My dream for the Fab Four would be to put together a babershop quartet that could just bust out in the greatest hits on the showroom floor (All you need is love, buh duh duhh duh duhhhhhh...). Of course the group gig that I'm surprised hasn't been done is Village People--they're really just asking for it.

ETA: Or Spinal Tap, even if they aren't strictly "real".
All of those would be so great! There's just something really fun about dressing up as your favorite rockstars.

I'd love to see the Beatles barbershop quartet though! I can just imagine that stopping a large portion of a convention in its tracks to sing along lol.

Castiel - Supernatural

Upcoming Conventions

Youmacon 2012
Dragon*Con 2012